Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2010, 01:35 AM   #101
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I'd like the game to come with a second 2010 MLB setup that just has AAA, AA, and A squads for each team. All those rookie, fall league, etc. teams that make it add up to 6-7 per team are a pain imo plus they slow down the sim speed.

I always have to spend time moving the players on those minor league teams with promising futures to the minor league teams I'm keeping before simming the first game.

Another thing I'd love to see in the game would be a contraction draft, so the worst teams could draft first from a pool of players from teams I want to delete (I like having the same number of teams in each league so I usually get rid of two MLB teams and make it 14 in both AL and NL. It could also be fun to use in a fictional league to simulate some massive financial crash or something). It'd be a lot better than making them all free agents.

I'm looking forward to the game, it gets a lot of stick on this board but I always manage to get more than $25 worth of fun out of it, other than FM this is my favorite text sim franchise.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #102
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I always appreciate that you can convert your current leagues into the next version. I started my Canadian league that I build with 5 levels of minors (I did it by population centers), and have gone from 2006-2018 playing at least 3-4 games a week for my team. At this point my connection with the players is huge, I know these players more than I know half of the real MLB players. Basically from March - December OOTP is loaded on my computer (even if just minimized).
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #103
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm with you Big Fo.. although I do like the idea of HS feeder leagues that if the player is not drafted, he goes on to college.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 AM   #104
Markus Heinsohn
OOTP Developments

Just a small update:

Development is going fine, I'm putting the finishing touches on the planned features. While doing this, I also revisited scouting, ran tests and found indeed a bug which resulted in the problems that Mr. Lynch stated. I just wonder how this did not surface in prior tests, the reason is probably that our tests were applied to the whole league, but the problem only applied to very young players. Anyway, this is of course fixed in OOTP 11

Regarding injuries: We really have a lot of real data for several years, and OOTP matches this data very nicely, both in terms of total injuries and injury severeness distribution. It's just one of the things that feel strange when you can see all injuries in a report, which is different to real life where often you just do not realize how much players are really hurt. Or would you know that there were a total of 1500+ injuries/illnesses in MLB in 2008 for example? I certainly would not have guessed that

Cheers,
Markus
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #105
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Markus is THE MAN! This is why I've been a loyal fan of OOTP since 2001. Good stuff...

~cheers

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #106
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
I'd like the game to come with a second 2010 MLB setup that just has AAA, AA, and A squads for each team. All those rookie, fall league, etc. teams that make it add up to 6-7 per team are a pain imo plus they slow down the sim speed.

I always have to spend time moving the players on those minor league teams with promising futures to the minor league teams I'm keeping before simming the first game. .

I would like for this to be a quick start right from the beginning. I had to do this as well and I do dislike having to devote time to this process. 3 levels of minors is plenty for me.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:05 AM   #107
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Pre-ordered. I'm jonesing for baseball again.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #108
Ramzavail
College Starter

All I want is an undo button.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #109
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
All I want is an undo button.

done
Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #110
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post

I always have to spend time moving the players on those minor league teams with promising futures to the minor league teams I'm keeping before simming the first game.
Same here. Just a simple MLB universe that doesn't require a ton of extra stuff. Getting this to work and avoiding the fringe on their boards may get me back into this series.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #111
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Just a small update:

Development is going fine, I'm putting the finishing touches on the planned features. While doing this, I also revisited scouting, ran tests and found indeed a bug which resulted in the problems that Mr. Lynch stated. I just wonder how this did not surface in prior tests, the reason is probably that our tests were applied to the whole league, but the problem only applied to very young players. Anyway, this is of course fixed in OOTP 11

Regarding injuries: We really have a lot of real data for several years, and OOTP matches this data very nicely, both in terms of total injuries and injury severeness distribution. It's just one of the things that feel strange when you can see all injuries in a report, which is different to real life where often you just do not realize how much players are really hurt. Or would you know that there were a total of 1500+ injuries/illnesses in MLB in 2008 for example? I certainly would not have guessed that

Cheers,
Markus

Markus, thank you for an update and fixing the issue brought up by lynchjm24.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #112
Drake
assmaster

I've pre-ordered. I think this makes the fifth or sixth time.

I keep getting my money's worth out of this game, so I keep buying it.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #113
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
Markus, thank you for an update and fixing the issue brought up by lynchjm24.

My only real issue here is that if they found a bug in scouting, how about a patch for OOTP X to make scouting work correctly there? My concern with the OOTP development cycle is that any bugs that are found or recognized after the "last patch" are only going to get fixed in the next version, which leaves a very tiny window for the last version to get fixes. And as we've seen in FOF, sometimes in multiplayer it takes a while for things to rear up and get noticed, especially if other bugs are blocking them. And sometimes with such a complex game it takes a while to build up sufficient evidence to prove that something is actually a bug, and by the time you do you're probably just helping to fix the version you haven't bought yet rather than the one you have.

I'm not asking for fixes to OOTP 9, but I'd sure like to see a patch available for the immediately prior version when big issues are found and fixed for the current version. In other words, continue "maintenance" on 10 while 11 is the current version, then when you ship 12 drop maintenance on 10 and shift to maintenance on 11. Yes, there's probably going to be big debate over what's meant by "big issue" (like the crowd screaming about the wrong stripes on the uniform or something equally inane), but I'm pretty sure the scouting bug qualifies as one example.

OTOH, scouting doesn't matter much for me since my main leagues are the FOOL ones where scouting and other complicating factors are turned off, plus the finances are tuned to be mostly right, so whatever
Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 PM   #114
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
My only real issue here is that if they found a bug in scouting, how about a patch for OOTP X to make scouting work correctly there? My concern with the OOTP development cycle is that any bugs that are found or recognized after the "last patch" are only going to get fixed in the next version, which leaves a very tiny window for the last version to get fixes. And as we've seen in FOF, sometimes in multiplayer it takes a while for things to rear up and get noticed, especially if other bugs are blocking them. And sometimes with such a complex game it takes a while to build up sufficient evidence to prove that something is actually a bug, and by the time you do you're probably just helping to fix the version you haven't bought yet rather than the one you have.

I'm not asking for fixes to OOTP 9, but I'd sure like to see a patch available for the immediately prior version when big issues are found and fixed for the current version. In other words, continue "maintenance" on 10 while 11 is the current version, then when you ship 12 drop maintenance on 10 and shift to maintenance on 11. Yes, there's probably going to be big debate over what's meant by "big issue" (like the crowd screaming about the wrong stripes on the uniform or something equally inane), but I'm pretty sure the scouting bug qualifies as one example.

OTOH, scouting doesn't matter much for me since my main leagues are the FOOL ones where scouting and other complicating factors are turned off, plus the finances are tuned to be mostly right, so whatever

I agree 100%. I play a lot of solo OOTP and would love to have this fixed.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #115
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How in the hell can a draft happen and you select 12 catchers out of 26 selections(25 round draft, players created for 30 rounds)

Cmon. There has to be a way to prevent something this silly from happening.

I gather the scout(which is turned off) decides a catcher is the BPA that many times?

Can you at least look at this for the next game? This has happened before to me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:34 AM   #116
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How in the hell can a draft happen and you select 12 catchers out of 26 selections(25 round draft, players created for 30 rounds)

Cmon. There has to be a way to prevent something this silly from happening.

I gather the scout(which is turned off) decides a catcher is the BPA that many times?

Can you at least look at this for the next game? This has happened before to me.

Agree, in the RWBL i have like 6 Catchers per minors level, and all them are garbage players.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #117
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

The road to release, first installment.

Created with Camtasia Studio 5

I like what Markus has done to the interface!
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 PM   #118
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

RTR #2

Road to Release 2: Player Comparison, Manager Notes, and Single Game Records - OOTP Developments Forums
Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 PM   #119
Tasan
College Starter

You know what I wished worked like real baseball? The Spot Starter role. In the MLB, a spot starter is a guy who makes the 2nd start in a double header, or the start the day after a double header, or a start if all your pitchers have been beaten the last week and are exhausted, not some random replacement of the 5th starter. Also, that guy should be the 1st guy in if your starter gets tossed in the first couple of innning, or just flat needs to be replaced after giving up 9 runs in 2 innings. I hate the way its used right now.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #120
stevew
Hall Of Famer

How about "strict order, but skip number 4 or 5" if an off day allows"

I don't think the "occasionally start highest ready" really works.

Or only start guys on 100% rest. I want my number one to go every 5 days
Old 03-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #121
KWhit
Coordinator

I love the addition of single game records.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #122
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I love the addition of single game records.

It's like old school NHL on N64 all over again...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:31 AM   #123
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

The road to relase #2 is definitely getting me excited. Single game records + similarity scores are awesome additions. I'm gald I preordered when it was discounted. I was hoping the player comparison was going to use the Football Manager polar graphs though.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #124
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Like every year, I'm excited again.. I just hope a nice MLB quickstart with just AAA, AA, and A are included with all the normal settings. Heck, I wouldn't even mind feeders since that is kind of a new feature or as least it has been enhanced.

I hate having to change all the damn settings.. reminds me of sliders!
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 AM   #125
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

RTR 3: Drafting Realism Like You've Never Seen Before!

Road to Release 3: Drafting realism like you've never seen before! - OOTP Developments Forums
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM   #126
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Love this tidbit: Even more exciting, a brand new feature allows unsigned high school draftees to graduate to college. Teenage studs are no longer at the mercy of the team that drafts them. If you won't pony up to meet their demands, they can take their game to the college circuit for a few years in hopes of boosting their future draft stock. And while you may be disappointed to lose out on a top pick, you'll enjoy watching players experience a realistic development path before they ever turn pro!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 AM   #127
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Road to Release 7: A Cornucopia of New Features

I'm pretty stoked reading through the new RtR. This is by far what I'm looking forward to the most:

Dynamically Evolving Leagues
Those who play historic OOTP leagues are used to one of the game's great features (at least in my mind) - the ability to expand and evolve your league based on the information in the historical database. Run an OOTP historic league and you'll see it expand in '61 and again in '62 and every year thereafter. For those who may have run historic leagues in the past and had to make these changes manually, it was a big leap forward. Fictional league owners, however, were forced to make changes like expansion, rosters, schedules, and rule changes manually. That is, until now!

With version 11, OOTP introduces Dynamically Evolving Leagues. When you start a league with this option selected and run your baseball world, the game will dynamically make changes to the league over the course of its history. Some of the changes you can elect for the game to implement in your game include:

* Team Expansions
* Schedule Length
* Roster Size
* DL Length
* Free Agency
* Option Years
* Nickname Changes
* Relocations
* Waiver Length
* DH Rule
* Increase/Decrease Offense
* Increase/Decrease Pitching
* Min service lengths
* And more...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #128
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't really care about dynamically involving rule changes so much, but the expansion and relocation/nickname change thing is pretty sweet. What I hope, though, is that this is not just built in randomly - that there's a "story" to be told that results in the change being made. In other words, a team might move because of poor attendance after a number of years of terrible performance. Not just after 15 years, X team picks up and moves just because you've got that option turned on and the AI is prompted to implement it, and a team that won it all a year earlier leaves town.

Also, I would really love to see FOF's stadium referendum feature built-in here, as it would be one of the ideal triggers to a team moving.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:15 PM   #129
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't really care about dynamically involving rule changes so much, but the expansion and relocation/nickname change thing is pretty sweet. What I hope, though, is that this is not just built in randomly - that there's a "story" to be told that results in the change being made. In other words, a team might move because of poor attendance after a number of years of terrible performance. Not just after 15 years, X team picks up and moves just because you've got that option turned on and the AI is prompted to implement it, and a team that won it all a year earlier leaves town.

Also, I would really love to see FOF's stadium referendum feature built-in here, as it would be one of the ideal triggers to a team moving.

Per Markus:

Only poor teams with low fan support and a small market will move. It would not make much sense to see the Yankees relocate to Portland I guess

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #130
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

I hadn't seen some of the other Road to Release updates. The historical replay accuracy screen is a nice addition.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #131
Drake
assmaster

If this is even close to how Jim implemented franchise moves with FOF, I'll be happy. Every time I get 25-30 years into a solo career, I think about moving teams around to mix it up and see if they can be more successful in a different environment...and then I never do it because it feels inauthentic to do it from a God's eye view.

I also approve of the move to increase the frequency of players moving into the coaching/scouting ranks. I usually go through and pick half of the HoFers at random and pop them into coaching, but the dev curve for coaches is so slow, they're only ready for AA jobs by the time they're 80, so it doesn't do me much good.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM   #132
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I would say that maybe the game gets to a point in the draft where it looks for BPA and sees a metric crapload of lousy players that all suck equally so it picks the first one from the list it generated. Assuming the list defaults to position order, this would pretty much always be a catcher.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:12 PM   #133
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post
If I had to guess, and this is only a guess, I would say that maybe the game gets to a point in the draft where it looks for BPA and sees a metric crapload of lousy players that all suck equally so it picks the first one from the list it generated. Assuming the list defaults to position order, this would pretty much always be a catcher.

Whatever it is, it probably also explains why catchers are put into back-up roles on the line-up card. They're being overvalued somehow.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #134
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

OOTP 11 will be released on April 14th, April 12th for preorder customers!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #135
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shkspr View Post

yeah, pretty much my guess too.
Old 04-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #136
Galaril
Pro Starter

One I would only think about buying if there was just a simple MLB league setup with just the MLB and maybe triple AAA. Players should also enter into the correct teams each season as they did in real life.
Also, I would love to see a demo.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:10 PM   #137
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is going to be a nice all in one mod released tomorrow as well - this time with real players that have been face-gened so that they age and change uniforms if traded.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:10 AM   #138
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Looks like OOTP 11 is out for pre-order customers. I'm d/ling it as I type...

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #139
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Me too.. might be a long night tonight.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #140
lungs
Pro Rookie

No All right boyz thread yet?
lungs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #141
spleen1015
Coordinator

Cal Ripken from the Historical Face Gen pack.