Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-13-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas dies at 73

I lived in Philly for about 5 years... his voice will be missed

RIP Kalas

hxxp://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4064793

WASHINGTON -- Longtime Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster Harry Kalas has died at the age of 73, team president David Montgomery said Monday.

Kalas, who had also filled a voiceover role for NFL Films since 1975, was taken to a hospital Monday after passing out in the broadcast booth before Monday's game against the Washington Nationals.

Montogomery's voice was cracking as he said "we have lost our voice."

The 73-year-old Kalas, known for his distinctive "Outta here!" call on home runs, was found by the Phillies director of broadcasting at about 12:30 p.m., Montgomery said.

Kalas joined the Phillies in 1971. Before that, he was an original member of the Houston Astros' broadcast team from 1965-70.

In 2002, he received the Baseball Hall of Fame's Ford C. Frick Award for his contributions to the game.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 04-13-2009 at 01:16 PM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #2
Capital
High School Varsity

This is extremely sad. I lived in Hershey PA for 12 years and listened to Kalas to quite a while. I loved his HR calls and his calling of "Michael Jack Schmidt" was classic. His work with the Phillies and NFL flims will be missed.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #3
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

This really bums me out. I loved listening to Harry...when my family and I would vacation in OC Md (before satelite radio), I was able to pick up the Atlantic City feed of the Phillies games. Pretty much the highlight of my trip. Thanks for the memories Harry!

I'm glad he finally got to call the final out of a WS game. In 1980 he wasn't able to because there was no local TV or radio at the time.

"It's outta here!"

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-14-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:29 PM   #4
Klinglerware
College Starter

One of my favorite announcers. I moved away a few years ago, so I did not know that he was still active. RIP - but good for him to be broadcasting til the very end...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very sad. I remember listening to so many of his calls with my grandparents when I was growing up.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 04-13-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wow, this is too bad. I definitely need to listen to Chuck Brodsky's song Whitey and Harry again - off his fantastic Baseball Ballads album. It's a really neat tribute to Richie Ashburn after he died, and mentions Harry of course. Here's a clip from the song.

http://tinyurl.com/c2zc5k

Last edited by Peregrine : 04-13-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
samifan24
Pro Starter

He will be missed. As a kid growing up outside Philadelphia, I listened to Kalas call Phillies games frequently. I'll always remember his calls for Lenny Dykstra and Darren "Dutch" Dalton.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
cuervo72
Head Coach

sigh
Old 04-13-2009, 02:06 PM   #9
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Watching or listening to baseball will never quite be the same. Will defnitely miss hearing the call "It's Outta here".
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
MrIllini
High School Varsity

Anyone know of a link to audio or video of the Schmidt 500th call?
Old 04-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIllini View Post
Anyone know of a link to audio or video of the Schmidt 500th call?

I have it on my cell phone as a ringer. I'll look for the .mp3 file tonight.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #12
RedKingGold
College Starter

Agreed with Sak. At least he called the Phils World Series win.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:25 PM   #13
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I know I've had words with many Phillies fans here, but this really makes me sad. I used to live in Quakertown and enjoyed listening to him do the games. He was really one of the best out there.

My condolances to all the fans of the organization. It's a shame watching games will be a little less fun for you guys.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I feel like part of my childhood has died.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Old 04-13-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Dang. I was on the road heading back into Green Bay this morning, they talked about the collapse and in a news break reported that it was 'very serious.'

Was under the impression he was still with us, though.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #17
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Just read that Kalas is from the same hometown as I am, did not know that.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Having gone through the loss of Skip Caray in the Braves off-season and the retirement of Pete Van Wieren at the same time, I can very much sympathize with what fans in Philadelphia are going through. As an old low end of the scale broadcaster I understand the loss of the legend from that respect as well.

Rest in Peace Harry, you'll be missed.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #20
Comey
College Starter

He was such a constant for me...I fell asleep to him nearly every night as a kid and even a teenager. When I moved away from Harrisburg, first to CA and then to Hartford, arguably my biggest regret that I no longer got him on the radio (I have found Merrill Reese and Mike Quick, but never found Phillies broadcasts).

A part of my life is gone with him. Don't want to come off as overdramatic, but many of the greatest sports thrills of my life were led by his voice. Phillies fans will know that they were so far and few between, but that made the successes that much sweeter.

I cried tears of joy when listening to his call of the '07 NL East miracle team on YouTube (I had just moved up to CT at that point), and got emotional today, at the thought of what he brought to me growing up. I have one of the worst Kalas impressions out there, but I never have any trouble showing it off.

He's off somewhere now, not having to put up with Chris Wheeler, calling a game with Whitey against the Expos, where Pascual Perez is pitching for Montreal...maybe Dennis Martinez. At least, that's how I envision it now.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #21
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Being a Phillie fan from Jacksonville, I am shocked to hear about Harry Kalas passing away.

It was only yesterday that I heard him calling Matt Stairs winning HR,
"Long drive, ...it's outta here!"

Heaven needed another professional announcer to call baseball games.

Last edited by tucker rocky : 04-13-2009 at 06:47 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #22
MrDNA
High School Varsity

One of the all-time great ones. Can't believe I was listening to him just YESTERDAY.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sadly he hadn't gotten his WS ring yet as the announcers haven't received their's yet.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 AM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Very sad news. It was pretty cool to see him and his son Todd(broadcaster for the Rays) in a few interviews during the World Series last year. Definitely a legend in Philly sports. I caught a glimpse of a TV and I saw David Montogomery's quote and knew he could be talking about no one else but Harry.

RIP Harry
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 08:34 AM   #25
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Did anyone listen to the game yesterday? I tuned in on XM and was surprised to hear the Phillies announcers. Washington had a moment a silence for Harry and faintly in the background you could hear someone yell "We love you Harry". Scott Franzky and Larry Anderson were choked up for most of the first half of the broadcast and especially after Victorino hit a HR and pointed up to the booth. It had to be tough for them to do the broadcast but it was great how they told stories about Harry the entire game.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Did anyone listen to the game yesterday? I tuned in on XM and was surprised to hear the Phillies announcers. Washington had a moment a silence for Harry and faintly in the background you could hear someone yell "We love you Harry". Scott Franzky and Larry Anderson were choked up for most of the first half of the broadcast and especially after Victorino hit a HR and pointed up to the booth. It had to be tough for them to do the broadcast but it was great how they told stories about Harry the entire game.

I caught some of it on XM as well and had the same feelings you did about it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #27
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

They gave a moment of silence for him at the game yesterday. I had no idea the circumstances. Either they didn't explain it well, or I just couldn't understand the announcer. Very sad.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

The Zo Zone

Quote:
The Phillies have announced plans for Friday's tribute to Harry Kalas, who died Monday at 73.

Fans are urged to arrive early for Friday's game, when the Phillies play the San Diego Padres at 7:05 p.m. at Citizens Bank Park.

It will be the first home game since the Hall of Fame broadcaster death four days earlier.

The Phillies will honor their legendary voice prior to the game with several tributes:

* The television booth in which Harry broadcast since Citizens Bank Park opened in 2004 will be named the Harry Kalas Broadcast Booth, "That ball's outta here!" A plaque will be hung to officially name the booth. The neighboring radio booth is named the Richie ("Whitey") Ashburn Broadcast Booth, "This game's easy, Harry."
* The ceremonial first ball will be thrown by Harry's three sons, Todd, Brad and Kane.
* Prior to the National Anthem, to be sung by Harry's son Kane, there will be a moment of silence.
* All fans will receive an 8"x10" color photograph of Harry.
* Harry's signature will be displayed on the field during the seven-game homestand beginning on Friday.
* Also for the seven-game homestand, a black drape will appear in front of the Phillies radio and TV booths and the Phillies flag in Ashburn Alley will be hung at half-mast.
* A video of Harry's career will be aired on PhanaVision.
* During the seventh-inning stretch, a video of Harry singing "High Hopes" will be shown on PhanaVision. Fans will be encouraged to join in.

Other acknowledgements include:

* During the first half-inning of the game televised by Comcast Network Philadelphia (formerly CN8), there will be no announcer commentary.
* Throughout the remainder of the season, a billboard honoring Harry will be displayed on the outfield wall.
* As previously announced, an HK patch will be worn on Phillies uniforms this season.
* Throughout the 2009 season, following every Phillies home run, Harry's legendary "Outta Here!" home run call will be played over the PA system as the Liberty Bell lights up.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM   #29
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

I just watched the memorial service at CBP, a very touching and emotional one. All the Phillies players, past and present, were there.
"High Hopes was sang, as was "Bridge Over Troubled Waters".

It's a long drive to heaven Harry, but you'll never be outta the Phillies fans hearts.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #30
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post
I just watched the memorial service at CBP, a very touching and emotional one. All the Phillies players, past and present, were there.

It's a long drive to heaven Harry, but you'll never be outta the Phillies fans hearts.

Where did you watch it?
Old 04-19-2009, 07:52 AM   #31
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Where did you watch it?

Over on MLB.com, or the Phillies site.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:54 AM   #32
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker rocky View Post

I also watched it on Phillies.com, and then switched over to CSN once the ceremony got underway. I'd also like to chime in that it was a very touching event. I'm pretty much a typical "rock solid" guy who doesn't show his emotions well, but when they passed the casket down the line with Bridge Over Troubled Waters playing, I shed a few tears. I think seeing the casket being laid into the hertz really hit home, in that Harry wasn't coming back. He was gone.

And I will say this about the Phillies: As much flack as they've gotten in the past 15-20 years (sans 2008) about being a bad franchise, they don't care about the fans, they're cheap, etc, I think we can finally lay that perception to rest. The way that they handled this entire past week really goes to show what kind of franchise they are. Do you think the Eagles would have done all of this?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I'm pretty much a typical "rock solid" guy who doesn't show his emotions well, but when they passed the casket down the line with Bridge Over Troubled Waters playing, I shed a few tears. I think seeing the casket being laid into the hertz really hit home, in that Harry wasn't coming back. He was gone.

The same here.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 PM   #34
samifan24
Pro Starter

I attended the memorial service yesterday morning and thought the Phillies really did a classy job honoring Kalas. One thing you may not have seen on the news was that Phillies President David Montgomery stood outside and shook hands with everyone as they entered the stadium and personally thanked them for coming.

I was impressed with all the speakers but none more than Kalas's youngest son. He gave a good, composed speech and honored his father in doing so. It was pure class all around.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:12 AM   #35
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
I think seeing the casket being laid into the hertz really hit home, in that Harry wasn't coming back.

Sorry, I got pretty confused here. I was trying to figure out what a car rental location had to do with his death. I believe I finally have a proper translation to explain it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:05 AM   #36
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Sorry, I got pretty confused here. I was trying to figure out what a car rental location had to do with his death. I believe I finally have a proper translation to explain it.

You'll have to forgive me, it was a weekend
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #37
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

It's been a year and I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses Harry's signature "It's Outta here"

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-13-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #38
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

wow, I still miss him

thanks for bumping this Sak.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 04-13-2010 at 04:38 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 05:12 PM   #39
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hard to believe it's been a year already...
Old 04-13-2010, 05:16 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's been a year and I'm sure I'm not the only one who misses Harry's signature "It's Outta here"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Hard to believe it's been a year already...

+1. Listening to him always brought back good memories of enjoying games with my grandparents.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote