Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #51
Blackadar
Retired

I found where iMapMyRun will "talk" to you on your splits. I turned that on yesterday while at work and then conveniently forgot about it. So I'm running at 5:15 AM in the dark, listening to music, panting heavily and this voice comes out of nowhere and starts giving me my split times after the first mile. It scared the ever-livin' shit out of me.

I gave it my all this morning. When I got done, I was done. So for right now, the times below represent my current maximum effort on my neighborhood course. I don't think I'll push quite as hard the next couple of runs.

2.72 miles (same course as the one on Tuesday - I thought 2.85 miles seemed a little long...)
26:37
9:47 mins/mile

My pace was consistent - 9:55, 19:47 and then the finish - despite of the hills in the neighborhood. At least I managed to break the 10 minute barrier.

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-11-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #52
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Thursday, August 11th, 2011

Distance: 2.71mi
Time: 00:25:33
Pace: 9:26min/mi
Speed: 6.36mi/h

Today was interval workout time. I did 4 minutes running at normal pace, followed by one minute sprint, 1 minute walk, and repeat. I skipped my first walking interval, and cut short my last normal pace interval so I could finish with a 1 minute sprint. It was a good workout and I feel pretty confident heading into my next 5K this Saturday.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #53
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan View Post
You know what they say about even world-class runners - it hurts every single bit as much as it does for you, they just do it faster.

I'd never heard that before, but it definitely makes sense. I was in just as much pain when I ran low 20 minute 5K's in high school.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:01 AM   #54
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK View Post
That’s some solid improvement.

I can recommend the Endomondo.com app if you are not happy with the one you use now. I used that and was happy about it before I went out and bought a Forerunner clock instead.

Thanks for the tip! I figured out the problem with the voice updates and fixed it today, but I may give Endomondo a try sometime next week.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #55
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I found where iMapMyRun will "talk" to you on your splits. I turned that on yesterday while at work and then conveniently forgot about it. So I'm running at 5:15 AM in the dark, listening to music, panting heavily and this voice comes out of nowhere and starts giving me my split times after the first mile. It scared the ever-livin' shit out of me.

I gave it my all this morning. When I got done, I was done. So for right now, the times below represent my current maximum effort on my neighborhood course. I don't think I'll push quite as hard the next couple of runs.

2.72 miles (same course as the one on Tuesday - I thought 2.85 miles seemed a little long...)
26:37
9:47 mins/mile

My pace was consistent - 9:55, 19:47 and then the finish - despite of the hills in the neighborhood. At least I managed to break the 10 minute barrier.

Hey, that is pretty damned good for how long you've been running. If anything, you're coming along faster than I have. Hell, you might even do your 5K faster than I did mine.

You can also set the voice updates based on time instead of distance. I prefer to do it this way since the app doesn't let you get distance updates at anything less than 1 mile. For my interval runs I have it set to update me every minute. When I do a regular hard run, I have it update me every 2 minutes.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #56
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Hey, that is pretty damned good for how long you've been running. If anything, you're coming along faster than I have. Hell, you might even do your 5K faster than I did mine.

You can also set the voice updates based on time instead of distance. I prefer to do it this way since the app doesn't let you get distance updates at anything less than 1 mile. For my interval runs I have it set to update me every minute. When I do a regular hard run, I have it update me every 2 minutes.

Thanks. That represents my maximum effort currently possible, so surpassing your time is pretty much a pipe dream. I'm in pretty good shape shape - lost 60 pounds in the last year mainly by working out 6 days a week - but running is an entirely different animal and my arch-nemesis. I have really despised running in the past because it's boring and far too painful to tolerate (shin splints, bad feet, etc.). Signing up for the 5k was a way of testing myself and mixing things up. I haven't found it enjoyable yet, but I'm working on it. I'm about to also start a kettlebell routine right after completing the 5k and it should be easy to add a jog to the beginning or end of the kettlebell workouts...so I might sign up for another 5k depending on how much I like the one coming up.

I think having iMap talk to me every minute or two would take me out of my zone (you know, the 10 seconds or so where I forget I'm running and enjoying the music instead), not to mention that I'm almost constantly on hills so my speeds would be wildly variable. I could see using that feature if I was doing the sprinting thing you're working on, though. If I keep this up, I might use that run/walk/jog thing you're doing. Sounds interesting, though I wonder if it translates to hills.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #57
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks. That represents my maximum effort currently possible, so surpassing your time is pretty much a pipe dream. I'm in pretty good shape shape - lost 60 pounds in the last year mainly by working out 6 days a week - but running is an entirely different animal and my arch-nemesis. I have really despised running in the past because it's boring and far too painful to tolerate (shin splints, bad feet, etc.). Signing up for the 5k was a way of testing myself and mixing things up. I haven't found it enjoyable yet, but I'm working on it. I'm about to also start a kettlebell routine right after completing the 5k and it should be easy to add a jog to the beginning or end of the kettlebell workouts...so I might sign up for another 5k depending on how much I like the one coming up.

The actual running part isn't "fun", but when I'm finished I feel amazing and have a sense of accomplishment that I just don't get with any other type of exercise. I have started doing some minor strength exercises to mostly work on my leg strength.

Quote:
I think having iMap talk to me every minute or two would take me out of my zone (you know, the 10 seconds or so where I forget I'm running and enjoying the music instead), not to mention that I'm almost constantly on hills so my speeds would be wildly variable. I could see using that feature if I was doing the sprinting thing you're working on, though. If I keep this up, I might use that run/walk/jog thing you're doing. Sounds interesting, though I wonder if it translates to hills.

Yeah, I don't pay much attention to the updates until after the first half mile. The further you go, the less variance there is depending on hills and terrain. But the best training run I've done was when the app was completely off and I had no idea how fast I was going, so there might be something to that.

As for the interval runs, I do usually do those on a flatter route, but they work just fine on hills as well. The idea is to run at a higher intensity than you'd be able to do on a more evenly paced run (also your body gets used to running faster), so you don't need to sprint uphill as fast as you would downhill, just match the same intensity.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-11-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #58
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Couple of good notes about my race this Saturday:

This one will be a chipped race, so I won't have to worry about my starting position.

Also, I've been able to take a look at a map of the course, so I've got a better idea of what to expect. This should help me with pacing, so I won't need to rely on my phone.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #59
larrymcg421
Head Coach

As usual, I took pre-race day off from training, although I will do some stretching and minor strength exercises tonight, just to stay loose.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:02 PM   #60
Blackadar
Retired

Good luck, Larry!
Old 08-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #61
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Saturday, August 13th, 2011

RACE DAY: ATC Grand Finale 5K

This being a chipped race, I was able to pick a more comfortable starting spot. The course wraps around the perimeter of Chastain Park. The first mile was mostly downhill and as a result I crossed the mile marker with a shock when I hear 8:10 as my split. That's way too fast even with the downhill advantage. I sure paid for it on the 2nd mile which contain a long, steep, twisting uphill portion that (graded out 4.2% steep for over .6 miles). When I crossed the 2 mile mark, my time was 18:00. The third mile began with a long descent, which I took advantage of before finishing with a short, sharp uphill. I finished with the clock reading 28:16, but the official results later gave me a 28:08. Oh so close from my goal, but still a significant improvement (more than a minute!) over my performance from last week.

So my splits were 8:10, 9:50, and 9:12. Those are some pretty wild numbers, and improving my pacing is something I'll look for in my next 5K.

Final stats:

Distance: 3.10mi
Time: 00:28:08
Pace: 9:05min/mi
Speed: 6.61mi/h

I adjusted the stats from MapMyRun since it was off by almost the exact same amount as last time, so at least I now know how to adjust when doing my training runs.

I have one more 5K next week and then my next race will be on September 10th. After that, the free races offered by the Atlanta Track Club will be a 5 miler and a 10K so I'll start working on some extra distance in the coming weeks.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-13-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #62
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I added a results chart in the first post, including the upcoming races I plan to run.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM   #63
Blackadar
Retired

Nice time on your 5k Larry. That's great improvement from the prior one is such a short time.

After doing a Tabata workout on Friday, I was pretty leg-dead on Saturday. According to iMap, I did 2 miles in 19:38 and that was it for this weekend. I'd worked out for 2 weeks straight and my body needed a break on Sunday. There's only so far you can push your body as you get older.

Provided I get my runs in on Tuesday/Thursday, I'll enter my 5k this coming weekend with a grand total of 8 practice running workouts. That ain't much training, but it's the best I could do with such short notice. Another two weeks of training would probably be very beneficial.

---

If anyone is unfamiliar with Tabata, it's 20 seconds of exercise at full blast (everything you have) with 10 seconds off. Do that 8 times (total 4 minutes) and then take a minute break. Then repeat. It's very beneficial for your cardio-vascular system, but it'll kick your ass. You could do it running by sprinting for 20 seconds, walking for 10 and repeat it for 4 minutes.

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-15-2011 at 08:08 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:19 PM   #64
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

wow 28 minutes, nicely done!
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 PM   #65
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Thanks guys! The crazy thing is I know I can do even better with better pacing.

Monday, August 15th, 2011

Distance: 4.31mi
Time: 00:40:05
Pace: 9:18min/mi
Speed: 6.45mi/h

Took Sunday off as usual. This week I plan to run longer distances and do them at a more controlled pace than I have in the past. Today's run was a major success. I started off at a 9:30 pace, ended up doing a 9:00 2nd mile. I missed the 3rd mile report, but my final pace of 9:18 means I did the 2nd two miles at almost the same pace as the first two. Furthermore, I didn't need to stop once on this run, eventhough it was my longest run yet.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #66
Blackadar
Retired

Wow, Larry's cranking up the mileage.

Today was my 7th of 8 practice runs prior to the 5k. Nice morning to run - cooler, low humidity, almost a full moon so I could actually see where I was going.

2.78 miles (same course as last week)
27:05
9:44 mins/mile

Considering that I ran the same course, I was about 30 seconds slower than last Thursday even though iMap says my pace was quicker. I must have slowed a bit on the hills midway through the run. The difference today is that I didn't feel like I was going to die at the end of my run. I was pretty wiped, but not quite as bad as I was last Thursday. I could have slowed down to a walk, walked maybe 30 seconds and then started running again which I couldn't do last Thursday. It still hurts though - calves, ankles, Achilles, lungs - it all hurts.

So then I went inside and did 25 minutes of kickboxing.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:45 PM   #67
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wednesday, August 16th, 2011

Unfortunately, I was not able to get a run in yesterday due to time constraints, so this will be a shorter week than usual.

Distance: 3.45mi
Time: 00:33:36
Pace: 9:44min/mi
Speed: 6.16mi/h

I felt terrible at the beginning of today's run. My legs were already hurting at the half mile mark. But amazingly I started to feel better throughout my run and was able to finish a decent distance without stopping. Considering I've had to stop and briefly walk on both of my 5K's, I think this is a good sign for improving my time this Saturday.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #68
Blackadar
Retired

My last training run before my 5k on Saturday. I've adjusted the distance down a quarter of a mile simply because I think iMap got it wrong and grossly overstated it.

3.16 miles
29:32
9:34 mins/mile

Encouraging. I'll work the upper body tomorrow and rest the legs in preparation for Saturday.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:19 PM   #69
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
My last training run before my 5k on Saturday. I've adjusted the distance down a quarter of a mile simply because I think iMap got it wrong and grossly overstated it.

3.16 miles
29:32
9:34 mins/mile

Encouraging. I'll work the upper body tomorrow and rest the legs in preparation for Saturday.

That's very good. You're not far off from where I was at for my first 5K after all!

Old 08-18-2011, 12:40 PM   #70
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Thursday, August 18th, 2011

In my last workout before my next 5K, I decided to focus on some pacing training. There is a lake behind my apartment that is just under .6 miles long. The goal was to do 5 laps and do each lap faster than the previous.

Raw data:

Distance: 2.94mi
Time: 00:27:40
Pace: 9:25min/mi
Speed: 6.38mi/h

Splits:

Lap 1 - 5:50
Lap 2 - 5:30
Lap 3 - 5:25
Lap 4 - 5:35
Lap 5 - 5:20

It didn't quite completely work out. I did do my 4th lap pretty slow, but was able to put together a really good 5th lap. I did manage a consistent pace, but the overall pace is certainly slower than I wanted. Once again my legs felt pretty tired early on in the run, which is a bit concerning with my 5K coming up.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:31 PM   #71
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So I've been doing some reading on running technique and one thing i realized was that I haven't been swinging my arms nearly enough, and at times in my runs I noticed that I wasn't swinging them at all. Once I altered that, I've had much less issues with hills.

I did alot of hill training this past week because this is the one 5K I did last year. Also, I was able to pull up a map of the course on MapMyRun, so I know exactly what to expect. The first mile is mostly downhill. The 2nd mile begins with a steep uphill climb that lasts for half a mile. Then it goes into a long gradual decline from the 1.5-2.5 mark, before finishing with a steep climb.

I'm aiming for an 8:30 first mile, which should be fairly easy with the downhill start. Then I'm going to try to maintain at a 9 minute pace on the first hill. At the 1.5 mile mark is when I plan to fly. I will take advantage of this long downhill as best I can to put myself in good position for the grueling finish. I want to make it to that final hill by the 22 minute mark. This will put me in excellent position for the grueling finish.

This will be my last race for a few weeks, so I'm really hoping for a good showing.

Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #72
Blackadar
Retired

Well, I'm a 5k virgin no more.

Ran the course in 31:47. Both my iMap and my friends said we ran 3.4 miles rather than 3.1 and a lot of people were saying the course seemed a bit long. So be it. I died the last mile and had to walk briefly a couple of times because it was all $$!@##@$%! uphill. It just whooped me.

I finished tops in my (old) age group, so there's something to be said for that. Some 62 year old guy smoked me by 3 minutes, but that was the only person older than I am to finish faster.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:10 PM   #73
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Congrats Blackadar, that's awesome! Your 5k cherry has been popped

Everytime this thread gets bumped, I get an itch to go running. I hate running on the treadmill but when it starts cooling down, I think I'm just gonna do it. I don't know how ppl run in this 105 degree heat, I'd freaking die.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:14 PM   #74
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Saturday, August 20th, 2011
Race Day: FREE TO BREATHE 5K

Well I knew going in that this was a really tough course, but I hadn't planned for the setback I experienced today. I tried to keep a moderate pace for the first mile, but still crossed at 8:15. Still, I held on a little better in the 2nd mile than last week and crossed in 17:55. I tried to power through the hills in the 3rd mile and felt I was doing a fairly good job even if I was completely exhausted, but I still ended up with a shock when I turned on to the final street and saw the clock reading 28:30. I pushed as hard as I could from here, but settled for a very disappointing 28:44.

Mile splits:

Mile 1 - 8:15
Mile 2 - 9:40
Mile 3 - 9:50

I still have alot of work to do on pacing. Plus running three 5K's in three weeks was probably not a good idea. I will have some time now to really prepare for my next race.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 08-20-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #75
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Good job, Blackadar. That's a great start!

Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #76
Blackadar
Retired

Congrats on your time Larry. I'm not sure why you consider that a setback if the course is tougher. I wish I could have broken 30 minutes on my run, but I didn't realize the entire last mile would be uphill (never mind that the distance seemed a little long).

I learned a lesson this morning, which was "Don't try running after doing 20 minutes of 2 hand kettlebell swings". I had to quit after a mile because the legs weren't working. Perhaps next time I should run before I start slinging around the kettlebell.

I'm debating on going on another 5k next month. It's good incentive to keep me running and I figure running is a good companion exercise to the KB program I just started.

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-22-2011 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #77
Blackadar
Retired

For those who are interested, my tongue-in-cheek version of the 5k:

About 2 months ago, a guy in my office (Phil) started doing P90X. Since I had just come off of my X rotation, he was naturally asking me questions about the set. So we started talking about exercise on a regular basis. He's about my size, though I had to lose 60 pounds to get down to that size. But we're still both big, old, slow guys and so we can fully understand the aches and pains we both feel from working out. It's funny laughing at each other as we groan about our latest hurts.

One Monday last month, he comes in and tells me about the 5k he just completed that weekend. He decided to run another one the next month and encouraged me to give it a shot. I figured it might be a good challenge and since I had days off with Cathe's STS Meso 1, I decided to give it a go. Of course, the last time I ran further than from the couch to the bathroom (commercial during the Super Bowl...go now!) was around 25 years ago.

I only had 3 weeks to get ready. The first time I went out to jog, the pain set in within a couple of minutes. My eyes started to bug out. My tongue started hanging out of my mouth. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't move. My body was crying out, "STOP! And go eat a donut while you're at it!" Everyone said it'd get easier. It didn't. I just was able to go a little longer and a little faster over my next few jogs, but it never got easier. #$!@@#$! liars.

So, with a grand total of 9 practice runs over 2 1/2 weeks, I did my 5k this weekend. I showed up and felt like a hippo at a racehorse convention. There's all these lean, tight people with effortless strides walking around confidently. Then there's me, looking at the other runners and thinking, "well, I could probably eat you if I could catch you". Thank goodness Phil showed up. Between he and I, we could probably create a rolling roadblock on the race course.

I managed to pin my number to my shirt without drawing blood (a major achievement!) and prepared to run in the ungodly humid North Carolina August air. READY...SET...GO! As I lumbered away from the starting gate, the nervousness was replaced by the energy of the crowd. I felt good. I was doing this!

That lasted about 10 steps. Then I was back to the tongue-hanging, eye-bugging, earthquake-pounding running that I had mastered over the previous 3 weeks. Everyone around me looked like they were gliding effortlessly over the pavement, while I looked like I was trying to flee a Weight Watchers convention.

I kept on going, down one road and up the next. I kept going when we hit the park. I hit the wall after the 2nd mile but kept going. I felt like Gimli during the Lord of the Rings:

"I'm wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"

However, the supposedly flat course was all uphill on the 3rd mile. #$!@@#$! liars x2. I had to walk a bit because someone forgot to install the elevators on the sheer cliffs that loomed before me in mile 3, or at least they seemed that way as I waddled my way up the constant hills. But when all hope was almost lost, the oasis of the finish line appeared in the distance. I knew they were cooking pancakes, so I pushed on and I even finished with a flourish, actually passing someone (this is a new experience!) with 2 seconds to go.

Crossing the finish line, I felt like I had accomplished something. My first ever 5k was complete! A triumph! Hold on, I need to throw up. Oh wait, I don't. Where's the frickin' pancakes...?

I completed the course in 31:50, which was actually good enough to finish in the top 1/3rd or so of all the racers. I guess that's not too bad for a hippo with 3 weeks of training. Phil was a little bit behind me (37 minutes).

Now I find myself looking at upcoming 5ks and considering doing it all over again. What in the world is wrong with me?

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-22-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #78
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Yeah I've learned not to trust anyone when they say flat course. Especially since I'm from Florida and I ran cross country there high school and my definition of flat is clearly different than anyone here in GA.

As for mine, I'm very competitive and get down on myself pretty easily if I feel like I should've done better. Eventhough it was a tougher course, I still felt that I should've come closer to the previous week's time, especially since I was better at the 2 mile mark. I'm just disappointed that I died on the 3rd mile like I did. But I will use that as motivation to get better for my next race.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #79
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Monday, August 22, 2011

Distance: 3.84mi
Time: 00:35:47
Pace: 9:19min/mi
Speed: 6.44mi/h

Did some more hill work today, sorely needed after my experience in the last 5K. After my run, I did lots of strength training. Now I'm really, really sore, but I feel like I had a terrific workout.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #80
Blackadar
Retired

Ow...ow...ow...ow

Tried jogging this morning. My feet, ankles, Achilles started hurting about a mile in and the pain just kept getting worse. Then the shin splints started and the pain crept into my knees. I had to quit after two miles because I was starting to do some real damage.

Not sure why this came up. I'll try a different pair of shoes on Friday, but for now I'm a bit of a hurtin' puppy.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #81
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Wednesday, August 24th, 2011

Distance: 4.18mi
Time: 00:39:06
Pace: 9:21min/mi
Speed: 6.41mi/h

Great run today. The first two miles were almost entirely uphill but I still managed them at a really good pace. Then I was able to push myself by running harder in the mostly downhill 2nd half. I finished, as I always do now, with a sprint up a short, but extremely steep hill and I powered through it better than I've done in the past.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:50 PM   #82
Blackadar
Retired

I'm sliding backwards a bit. My pace was in the high 9s before the 5k. Since my 5k a little over a week ago, I've had 4 runs:

Last Monday: 1.4 miles or so, 10:44 pace. I figured it was due to the kettlebells that I couldn't run and stopped early.

Last Wednesday: 2.2 miles, 10:15 pace.

Last Friday: 2.2 miles, 10:17 pace.

Today: 2.2 miles, 10:38 pace.

It ain't getting easier. In fact, today was difficult even though I ran before I did my kettlebells. I'm not quite sure what's up, but I'll see if I can keep on plugging away.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #83
larrymcg421
Head Coach

So after a terrible run on Thursday where I had to stop at the 2 mile mark and walk most of the remaining distance, I got a little discouraged and decided it was time to take a bit of a break. It was frustrating how my legs just felt dead at the very beginning of some runs, making it a struggle just to get a good workout. Combined with stress from work, finances, returning to school, social obligations, it was time to take a break. So I didn't run at all last weekend. I didn't run again until Monday afternoon, and wow the break was just what I needed.

Monday, August 29th, 2011

Distance: 5.57mi
Time: 00:52:43
Pace: 9:28min/mi
Speed: 6.34mi/h

I could tell things were better from the very beginning. My legs felt so good it felt like I was floating. I didn't even have to stop and walk once. I even managed to handle a steep half mile hill at the 2.5 mile mark without much trouble. This run gives me renewed confidence, especially for the 5 mile race I have coming up in September.

I decided that for the time being, I am going to run every other day. I think I started to overdo it a bit much, running three 5K's in three weeks and running almost every day of the week. Also, I will take two days off before races instead of one like I do now.

Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM   #84
Blackadar
Retired

Nice Larry. Just think of my old ass huffing and puffing about 5 minutes behind you in any given 5k.

I have to run again tomorrow, but I'm a bit discouraged. It's getting harder and I'm getting slower right now. I need to sign up for another 5k soon to stay motivated.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM   #85
Blackadar
Retired

First up: I'm knocking down the mileage that iMap gives me 1 or 2 tenths of a mile for "truer" numbers. I wasn't doing that prior to the 5k, but I've been doing that ever since.

Little better this AM.

Ran my 2.2 miles in 22:05, so I'm back down to a 10 minute mile pace. I'm not exactly happy with that, but it's improvement.

After that run, I took a minute break and did another 1.3 miles or so as a walk/run - running the flats and downhills and walking the uphills. I was pretty well hurting the entire time, but managed to struggle through. I did that in 17 minutes, so about a 12 1/2 minute pace. That's about where I was on my 5k, so that sounds about right.

I gotta get me some better shoes. It's the shoes!

Last edited by Blackadar : 08-31-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #86
Blackadar
Retired

Maybe it was the shoes.

Got my first pair of Nike sneakers in 25 years - they usually aren't wide enough, but this pair just seemed to fit like a glove. I went running the following day (Sunday), even though it was ungodly humid.

Did my normal 2.2 miles, but this time I did it in 21:10 and the pain in my feet wasn't as bad. My first "mile" (according to iMap) was 8:50, which was most definitely a personal best...though it was a bit too fast and I couldn't maintain that pace. My lungs were the limiting factor since it was like trying to breathe through a straw. I'll run again tomorrow (weather permitting) to see if that holds, but I'm hopeful that I can start to run longer/faster than I've been.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:54 AM   #87
Blackadar
Retired

Signed up for my next 5k - September 24th. That doesn't give me a lot of time to train, but at least I've been running some lately.

Went a little further - the "long" course in my development. IMap says it's between 2.72 and 2.83 miles, but it's probably more like 2.6 or so. Ran it in 27:38, which is about what I was running it back in August. My feet ached some, but it leveled out to just a moderate discomfort and I probably could have run some more which is a good thing. Not sure if I'll get to run Friday or Saturday, so I might have an extended break. But at least I'm still chugging along.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #88
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Didn't run this weekend because I was attending Dragon*Con. Will be getting back to it this afternoon.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #89
Blackadar
Retired

Still preparing for my 5k this coming weekend.

I ran 3 times last week (the normal M, W, F routine) around the 2.2 (or so) miles in the 'hood. Monday's time was 21:10, a personal best around the neighborhood. Wednesday's time was a dismal 22:46 and I was really tired doing it. Friday, I split the difference and ran it in 22:02.

Did the longer run today (somewhere between 2.6-2.7 miles, iMap shows it between 2.8 and 3.0 miles). Ran that in 26:47, so I'm still clocking along at 10 minute miles. That will probably be my last training run before Saturday, so that's that. I'll do something else tomorrow, Wednesday I'm traveling on business, Thursday I'll be in a hotel room and Friday I'm traveling again too early to work out.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #90
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Been a while since I've posted, but I've been keeping up with the running. I did not do the downhill 5K as planned due to an injury, but I will be running the Singleton 5M this Saturday. It will be the longest race I've done yet. And I'll be following it up with my first 10K the following week. My ultimate goal is to complete the 10K in under an hour, which requires a pace of 9:39 per mile.

Had a great training run last night....

Distance: 5.15mi
Time: 00:47:34
Pace: 9:14min/mi
Speed: 6.50mi/h

Old 09-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #91
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

With just two days before i will be running my first ever half marathon i need to check inn here. When I started running in January my hope was only to get thru the 21 KM alive. Now I hope to get under 1:40.

Start Time Sep 22, 2011
Distance 8.31 miles
Duration 1h:05m:38s
Avg Speed 7:54 min/min

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 09-23-2011 at 07:35 AM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #92
Blackadar
Retired

Daaaaamn, Northwood. That's awesome. I couldn't run that fast if I were chasing a donut truck.

5K #2 was today. 30:17, which means I cut a minute and a half off my time in a month. I'm pretty happy with that and it places me in the upper half of my age bracket. It's respectable for a big guy like me.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #93
hoopsguy
General Manager

Good work to all the runners who are posting their results in here. Sounds like everyone is achieving better results.

I'm not doing any kind of competitive races yet, but I hope to dip my toe in the water next spring. As of right now I can run a 5K at about 10 minute mile pace, but I would like to see if I can extend my distance and pace over the next couple of months before winter slams into Chicago. If I've built up good enough habits (running 3x per week is target, I've been at 2-3 per week for past couple) by then I'm hoping I can sustain the running even with bad weather/conditions acting as a deterrent.

Edit - or I'll just do treadmill over the winter, but I would really prefer to be doing outdoor running when I'm doing distance. I have a hard time keeping interested on the treadmill after 20 or so minutes.

Last edited by hoopsguy : 09-24-2011 at 11:51 AM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #94
larrymcg421
Head Coach

September 24, 2011
Race Day
Singleton 5 Miler

So my goal was to go under 50 minutes and do it with better pacing. To that end, I managed to do the first three miles all at almost the exact same speed - 9:20, then amazingly picked up the pace for a 4th mile at just over 9:00. During the final mile I felt a stitch on my side that was very problematic. I almost stopped, but I was able to finish, albeit with a slow final mile. Still, my final time was way better than I could have hoped for - 47:03!

Distance: 5.00mi
Time: 00:47:03
Pace: 9:26min/mi
Speed: 6.36mi/h

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-25-2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:45 PM   #95
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Missed my goal of 1:40 by just over 5 minutes but still had a great day in my first ever race.

Endomondo | Community based on free GPS tracking of sports

Sep 25, 2011 1:37 PM
Distance 13.15 miles
Duration 1h:45m:31s
Avg Speed 8:01 min/mi

Last edited by Northwood_DK : 09-25-2011 at 02:46 PM.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 08:36 AM   #96
Blackadar
Retired

That was your first race ever? Or first race of that distance?

Either way, that's an awesome time. I think for my next 5k, I'm just going to hire you to pull me around the track while I'm wearing roller skates.

On my race on Saturday, I finished 154th out of 471 and 24th out of 51 in my age bracket. Given that I don't run much, I don't run fast and haven't been running for long, I'm ok with those stats. Plus, I can bench press everyone who finished ahead of me.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #97
larrymcg421
Head Coach

10K coming up this Saturday. Hoping for anything under an hour.

I've kept my workouts light this week. I did a speed one yesterday and then an easy 4 mile jog today. I will probably not run the rest of the week so I'm fully rested for the race.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #98
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Saturday, October 1st, 2011
Race Day
Cartersville 10K

Well, I did way better than an hour. I felt really good before the race so despite this being my longest yet, I went out at a pretty quick pace. I crossed the first mile at 8:51. I felt pretty good here so I decided to try and hang on to a 9 minute pace as long as possible. Mile 2 was exactly 9 minutes, meaning I crossed the 2 mile at a faster pace than any of my 5K's. The 3rd mile was 9:02, meaning I beat my 5K personal best on the first half of the 10K! I started to slow a little, as the next two miles were 9:14 and 9:19. Still, this put me at 45:26 for the 5 mile mark. Just last week, my 5 mile race was 47:03! Hearing this time mustve given me a bit of adrenaline, because suddenly I picked it up. The course finishes with 2 laps around a track. On the last lap, I broke into a sprint at the end passed at least 6 people. My pace for the final 1.2 was stunningly an 8:47. My final official time was 56:14, well ahead of my hour goal and a better pace than my best 5K!

Distance 6.21 mi
Duration 56:14
Pace 9:03
Speed 6.6 mi/h

The Free to Breathe 5K killed some of my confidence, but the last two weeks renewed it. I cannot wait to run the Haunted Hustle 5K 2 weeks from now.

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-02-2011 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:23 AM   #99
hoopsguy
General Manager

Wow, sounds like you crushed this run. Nice job!
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #100
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Thanks, hoops! Yeah, I was so happy with that result. It was way beyond anything I had expected.

I'm doing mostly speed workouts this week since my next race is a 5K. This weekend I will be spending at a cabin in the North Georgia mountains with some friends. Plenty of nice places to run up there, but I've never run at altitude that high before, so it'll be interesting.