Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM   #301
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
So far I would give the GoY nod to Uncharted 2 over this game, hands down so far to be honest... unless this game gets dramatically better soon.

Uncharted 2 is a great game and would be 2nd on my list this year. But, I'm looking forward to the Eagles game being over so I can get back to playing Dragon Age..

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-06-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:32 PM   #302
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

EF are you playing on pc or console?

Last edited by MizzouRah : 12-06-2009 at 07:32 PM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:35 PM   #303
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
EF are you playing on pc or console?

PC. There are already some very useful mods out.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:38 PM   #304
Atocep
Coordinator

I've played dragon age and MW2. MW2 would have to make it's campaign about 4 times longer for me to even consider it as being close to the game dragon age is. It took me 5.5 hours to play through MW2 and I was over 60 hours when I finished Dragon Age.

I have a hard time considering a game with that short of a campaign to be anywhere close to game of the year and multiplayer doesn't make up for it in this case.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:39 PM   #305
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Yes, the respec mod is great. Shapeshifting is fairly worthless so the first thing I did was take Morrigan's points out of there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #306
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks.. I figured that. I'll ask for the pc version for Christmas.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:55 PM   #307
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, getting a little better as it has picked up a bit. May rethink my rating of it after a while.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:12 PM   #308
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

FYI: Patch 1.02 is out. It fixes dagger damage along with a few other issues. Interestingly, they made it so enemies drop more money and less crappy items to address the complaints about inventory being overly cluttered:

http://social.bioware.com/page/da-patches

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 12-09-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #309
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

MORRIGAN DISAPPROVES!
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #310
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Anyone have any sugestion on getting past the ogre in the tower? I am down to just a couple health potions and the closest that I have come is getting it down to about 25% but I haven't come close to that since.

I really suck a this game so far but I am liking it more as I go.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #311
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

You need to get someone behind him to deal extra damage. It helps a lot if you have a heal spell you can use. If you have a rogue coat your weapon in poison.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:06 AM   #312
Galaril
Pro Starter

Can anyone tell if there are backpacks to carry stuff in when you run out of inventory space? I have seen others mention backpacks.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #313
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
Can anyone tell if there are backpacks to carry stuff in when you run out of inventory space? I have seen others mention backpacks.

I saw one that I could buy at a store. It says it gave you 10 extra spaces of inventory. It was pretty pricey, if I recall, but that could be just because I am still early in the game and quite poor.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:16 AM   #314
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
MORRIGAN DISAPPROVES!

Seriously. She and Sten both are beginning to irritate me as I am trying to rally the good people of Redcliffe.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #315
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I am an idiot!!! But that probably just confirms everyone's suspicions.

I think I am going to have to reload an older save and try the tower all the way from the start. I didn't bring enough health potions with me and that freaking ogre keeps kicking my ass. Twice I have gotten him down to about 25% but have no more health buffs and get quickly dispatched at that point (he freaking destroys the mage that is in my group within second of the fight starting almost every time).

With that said is there a way to keep that mage from running into the danger zone every time the fight starts. I tried changing his tactics but no matter what I do he still runs over near the ogre once the fight starts and I really don't want to have to control him the entire time.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #316
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I've found difficult fights demand a ton of micromanagement of characters. I don't know a better way than pause and switch characters.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #317
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I've found difficult fights demand a ton of micromanagement of characters. I don't know a better way than pause and switch characters.

I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I usually don't play a lot of RPG's where party management is required so I am in the WoW mindset of watching after my character. I need to lose that mindset for this game but it has not been an easy task so far.

Is there a way to get the other party members to use health buffs without having to pause and make them?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #318
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I was afraid that was going to be the answer. I usually don't play a lot of RPG's where party management is required so I am in the WoW mindset of watching after my character. I need to lose that mindset for this game but it has not been an easy task so far.

Is there a way to get the other party members to use health buffs without having to pause and make them?

I know you can set their tactics so that they automatically take a health potion once they get to something like 25% health.

That said, for the reasons mentioned above, I totally shutdown the tactics for every character. I micro-manage everyone. I much prefer it that way. Given that I like turn-based games more than real time, I really don't mind the constant pausing and ordering around. I much prefer that to the frustration of having characters running all over all willy-nilly or doing unpredictable things.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #319
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I know you can set their tactics so that they automatically take a health potion once they get to something like 25% health.

That said, for the reasons mentioned above, I totally shutdown the tactics for every character. I micro-manage everyone. I much prefer it that way. Given that I like turn-based games more than real time, I really don't mind the constant pausing and ordering around. I much prefer that to the frustration of having characters running all over all willy-nilly or doing unpredictable things.

I do the same, the only tactic I set for everyone is to use a potion or heal when health gets below 50% just in case I can't get to them in time. The further you go the more I found you need the micromanagement.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #320
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, telling everyone to hold position can be critical in big fights. That is a tab that is at the bottom left under all of the character's pictures. I didn't realize it existed until I had played for 8 or 10 hours.

As far as space, I found backpacks to be ridiculously expensive. I used the mod that adds 55 spaces to the party (125 total) and have never touched a backpack. Although, the patch may make that less critical with more gold and less items being given out.
Old 12-10-2009, 01:56 PM   #321
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
I do the same, the only tactic I set for everyone is to use a potion or heal when health gets below 50% just in case I can't get to them in time. The further you go the more I found you need the micromanagement.

I set it to < 50% too. Mainly because if my tank is getting attacked by a few mobs, < 25% doesn't give him enough time to down a potion.

And I always set it to the "worst health potion" so that I go through my stock of crappy potions and not run out of the good ones.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #322
SackAttack
Head Coach

I might have to use tactics for the first time to defeat the sloth demon. Argh.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I set it to < 50% too. Mainly because if my tank is getting attacked by a few mobs, < 25% doesn't give him enough time to down a potion.

And I always set it to the "worst health potion" so that I go through my stock of crappy potions and not run out of the good ones.

I may look into this. I've cut it close a few too many times already.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #324
thesloppy
Pro Starter

When I fought my first dragon, I actually had to set my tactics to heal everybody at <75%, because the damage was so hot and heavy.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #325
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, telling everyone to hold position can be critical in big fights. That is a tab that is at the bottom left under all of the character's pictures. I didn't realize it existed until I had played for 8 or 10 hours.

I have taken to using hold position a lot lately with fighting large groups. I try to set up out of range of demon spawn archers to take care of the melee, but it seems most of the time I do this without hold position on Alistar ends up charging a group of archers and emissaries after killing one hurlock.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #326
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I have taken to using hold position a lot lately with fighting large groups. I try to set up out of range of demon spawn archers to take care of the melee, but it seems most of the time I do this without hold position on Alistar ends up charging a group of archers and emissaries after killing one hurlock.

I think default tactics are set up so that the NPCs will attack whoever is attacking them, if that happens to be an archer and he has to run by 10 other bad guys so be it.

I set up every single tactic on my tank(Sten) to "attack closest enemy", and then set all my other party members to Attack Target of Sten. That set up a good old MMO style assist train.

Anything more complicated than that and I would micro manage(ie I wanted my entire party to focus on a caster further away, I'd pause it and tell them to attack the caster).

With two healers in my party I never really worried about tactics to use potions. I micromanaged them too but that was just a personal preference.

As far as backpack space goes, I never used any mods, but I did have the DLC. One of the DLC encounters results in a bank when you complete it.

But also, I would buy backpacks when I was able to and by the end of the game I think I had 120 backpack slots. There was some tipping point in the game where gold was simply no longer an issue. I didn't use anyone in my party with trapmaking or poison, so in long dungeons I ended up destroying tons of ingredients for those two crafts.

Last edited by Radii : 12-10-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:50 PM   #327
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

There was some tipping point in the game where gold was simply no longer an issue. I didn't use anyone in my party with trapmaking or poison, so in long dungeons I ended up destroying tons of ingredients for those two crafts.

I wish I was at that point. There are a few items I still want to buy that cost 80 or 90 gold and are way out of my price range..

Destroying the items gives no money, correct?
Old 12-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #328
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What character types are everyone using?

I first tried a human rogue but that game is stuck at the ogre in the tower. I will have to backtrack in my saves to get more health potions before that fight.

I got tired of being killed so I tried an elf warrior. Enjoying that one so far (and I like the backstory much better so far). I also like seeing how these backstories come together.

Yes, it's true. I am liking this game more the longer I play it.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #329
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
What character types are everyone using?

I first tried a human rogue but that game is stuck at the ogre in the tower. I will have to backtrack in my saves to get more health potions before that fight.

I got tired of being killed so I tried an elf warrior. Enjoying that one so far (and I like the backstory much better so far). I also like seeing how these backstories come together.

Yes, it's true. I am liking this game more the longer I play it.

I took a human warrior. I know hot, red headed elf mage chicks were a popular choice around here.

I agree. I've been enjoying the game quite a bit.

I am in Redcliffe castle right now and very, very low on healing potions. I am concerned.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #330
SportsDino
College Prospect

Given the weaknesses of scripted AI they should not have built tactics into the character development portion of the game. As such, I find them completely idiotic design decision, and never spend a point on them, and substitute micro-managing.

I actually enjoy the mico-managing. My badass mage lets me try a likely atypical playing style, I get him up in the melee if its a standard herd of hurlocks I'm fighting because he just explodes death all around him, heals through draining life or the dead (drain life often is a nice move to get a burning weak enemy to die right quick, especially in the early game, not so much now that I'm getting further along).

Then by the time he backs off to restore mana and snipe with his staff, the rest of my team hits the enemies trying to chase him and melee. Nothing is cooler than leading out front with my mage, having a dozen uglies start bumrushing him, then exploding out a ton of fire (or now launching a fireball to get things started at distance). Back the mage up and as the burning monsters run towards him they get chopped down by arrows, or if they somehow have a decent amount of health they get shield bashed or pommel striked to the ground.

Most mobs look like they are heading into a meat grinder against my teams, although subbing out my party I can finesse it into a strategic sniper team or a traditional tank.

I love the pause based combat and the difficulty level, its like stop gap animation of death and destruction, which is pretty awesome. But it takes patience and the more risks you take might have higher reward but can easily screw up (like getting my mage trapped behind a line of badguys who knock him down... not very fun!). If you get a lot of practice you can realize the value of little timing plays like the knockdown effects in particular can be very important to managing how much damage you are taking while you pick off enemies. Continuous damage like fire or poison, snipe the weakest enemies and knock down the damage dealers.

Bosses are tough though, they resist a lot of effects, figure out the bosses damaging moves and use motion to counter it or make it more likely he will chase someone he'll have trouble catching or hit someone who can take the blow.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #331
SportsDino
College Prospect

I played through Ostagar as a dwarf commoner, beat the ogre, but was really just learning the interface and playing un-roleplay like.

My primary playthrough is with an elf mage I called Moridin (and try to act somewhat like the Wheel of Time character of the same name, fomenting chaos). Morrigan is dead sexy so I'm trying to get on her good side. I am frustrated that while the plot and ambiance is fairly well done, it still pretty much is a single track through no matter how evil you try to be. At least I haven't triggered too much wildly different yet, despite deliberately trying.

My build is heavy on fire and entropy, I'm avoiding the rest of primal to build up some schools I normally probably wouldn't. This game is not really forgiving to generalists, so you have to pick your talents pretty carefully to aim for end-chain super powers you want. Unless there is a lot more XP out there than I'm expecting, I don't know...
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #332
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I am still enjoying this game very much, even the second time around. I finished it the first time with a morally ambivalent elven mage, using Morrigan, Shale and Sten as companions. Now I am trying again with a human noble warrior goody-goody with Alistair, Liliana, and Wynne.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:18 AM   #333
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I love Wynne as the second mage. Her healing abilities really extend the useful life of my fighting folk.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM   #334
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Any tips on the courtyard in the castle? Have been getting our asses thoroughly handed to us there. Have liked the group that I have up until that point (Morrigan, Alistair and the wardog). Alistair and the wardog tank/offtank it and I either lay back and use the bow or jump in with sword and shield (depending on the makeup of who we are fighting).

I am thinking I should have looked around more inside before heading to the courtyard to see if I could have leveled up.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:55 PM   #335
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Any tips on the courtyard in the castle? Have been getting our asses thoroughly handed to us there. Have liked the group that I have up until that point (Morrigan, Alistair and the wardog). Alistair and the wardog tank/offtank it and I either lay back and use the bow or jump in with sword and shield (depending on the makeup of who we are fighting).

I am thinking I should have looked around more inside before heading to the courtyard to see if I could have leveled up.

The tactic that worked best for me was taking an immediate right, charging up the steps and killing the two archers before wheeling around and killing that big dude and the other guys. Not very specific, I know, but it worked. I had Sten, Alistair and Morrigan.

I also think I kept Morrigan in the back a bit so that when the big guy and his group came up the stairs they got a face full of my area of effect lightning spell (forget the name).
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #336
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Courtyard 1st time or 2nd time?

1st time, I made sure to run to the gate and open it to get help. I used Wynne to heal that help which made it an easy fight.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #337
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

1st time, I made sure to run to the gate and open it to get help. I used Wynne to heal that help which made it an easy fight.

1st time. Didn't notice the gate. I'll have to try that. Maybe I'll take a break from work and see how I do (good thing about being able to work from home once in a while).

Thank you.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #338
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I would say how tough the fight is depends a lot on whether you have help or not. If you have help, definitely go to the gate and open it, so they can give you a hand. If you don't, I would just head straight up the stairs and deal with the archers first.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #339
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Amazing how much of a difference opening the gate made.

Thanks!!!

Play style question: Am I too attached to the war dog? I keep putting it in my party but I am wondering if I would be better off with a different character instead. It gives me a good off-tank but no other added advantages like having a rogue or healer would.

I think Fable 2 ruined me for making that decision where I liked having a dog companion adventuring with me. I guess I'm just a dog person in general.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #340
Peregrine
Pro Starter

In my opinion the dog is fine for the early game, but since he only has limited abilities and equipment, he really starts to get outmatched by other warriors later in the game. Even if I don't have him in the party, it's always fun to talk to him in camp and see the little scenes.

Also I played through the entire game with no rogue - you lose some money from chests, etc but otherwise it worked out fine.

Last edited by Peregrine : 12-17-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #341
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think you have to have a rogue to unlock chests, but if you're patient enough to go back through everything after you clear it two warriors and two mages would be the way to go.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #342
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I've never gotten anything "critical" from a chest, but the amount of locked chest loot really adds up, so I always have a rogue to deal with them (always Leliana on this play through.) I think the dog gets outclassed fairly early in the game, certainly by the middle third, but I plan on keeping him as a primary companion in one of my future play throughs anyway. I love interacting with him in camp.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM   #343
ShaneTheMaster
High School JV

Quote:

When I opened the gate, noone was there to help. I think it was because I left Redcliff without fighting.
Ex-GM, Cincinatti Bengals, (Replicated NFL)
Ex-GM, Tampa Bay Surge, (WLAF)
ShaneTheMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #344
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I also had no one to help when Ser Perth and many of the knights were killed in the fighting. At the point they usually say "the knights will be there to open the gates" or whatever, they just say "there are too few knights to help you."
Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 AM   #345
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

There is an expansion coming out in March:

Dragon Age: Awakening Expansion Out In March - dragon age - Kotaku

The expansion, called "Awakening", will allow players to import (and edit!) their characters from the main game, and should run for around 15 hours.

For the best explanation of what's going down, the pack's GameStop page is the best place to go.

For centuries, the Grey Wardens-the ancient order of guardians, sworn to unite and defend the lands-have been battling the darkspawn forces. Legend spoke that slaying the Archdemon would have put an end to the darkspawn threat for centuries to come, but somehow they remain. You are the Grey Warden Commander and have been entrusted with the duty of rebuilding the order of Grey Wardens and uncovering the secrets of the darkspawn and how they managed to remain. How you choose to rebuild your order, how you resolve the conflict with "The Architect", and how you determine the fate of the darkspawn will be but some of the many complex choices that await and shape your journey as you venture to the new land of Amaranthine.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #346
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Great news. I'm just about to start a 3rd play through the main game. Still love this game.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #347
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Great news. I'm just about to start a 3rd play through the main game. Still love this game.

3rd play through? That's awesome!

I am still slowly making my way through the first time around. Despite the fact that I think some of the in-game hocking of the downloadable content is a bit obnoxious, I went ahead and bought it anyway, since I knew I'd want more, more, more.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #348
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

Just came across this.

hxxp://social.bioware.com/project/463/#details
Camp storage chest. wOOt!

Just killed the High Dragon last night 1st try. (difficult setting)
I guess all those years playing WOW were not wasted after all.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #349
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surtt View Post
Just came across this.

hxxp://social.bioware.com/project/463/#details
Camp storage chest. wOOt!

Just killed the High Dragon last night 1st try. (difficult setting)
I guess all those years playing WOW were not wasted after all.

I was able to kill the dragon on my first try, but only because the dragon flew on to a rock, killed 3 of my party members, but my rouge happened to be standing somewhere the dragon wouldn't attack. Felt pretty cheap, but I really wanted the dragon scale armor for Stem.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:28 PM   #350
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

Are you getting Return to Ostegar DLC for new play through? Thinking of picking that up tonight.