Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2017, 08:05 AM   #6501
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
... I consider "Aliens" one of my top three favorite movies of all time. Perhaps, top two.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM   #6502
Groundhog
Coordinator

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8.5/10
Loses a full point for the first 15 mins of dancing Groot overkill, but thankfully they dialed back Groot (...a bit...) after that. The whole lead-up to the main plot was strangely bland actually, even Groot aside.

Once that was over with though, wow. It actually felt a hell of a lot like a long Star Trek original series episode - it's been a long time since I've seen it, but Star-Lord's father and his planet reminded me of the original pilot episode of Star Trek, and even the Sovereign reminded me of another Star Trek episode where the aliens use computers to simulate war.

Was it as good as the original film... probably not, because at times it felt like they were trying a bit hard to recapture the same mood, but still the best Marvel movie since... well... Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Some great dialogue, in particular between Mantis and Drax, and Michael Rooker was at his absolute Walking Dead best.

Oh, and the 'My Sweet Lord' song choice was better than the "I'm not in Love" scene in the first. Absolutely perfect.

Bring on Thanos!

Last edited by Groundhog : 05-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 AM   #6503
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - 8.5/10
Loses a full point for the first 15 mins of dancing Groot overkill, but thankfully they dialed back Groot (...a bit...) after that. The whole lead-up to the main plot was strangely bland actually, even Groot aside.

Once that was over with though, wow. It actually felt a hell of a lot like a long Star Trek original series episode - it's been a long time since I've seen it, but Star-Lord's father and his planet reminded me of the original pilot episode of Star Trek, and even the Sovereign reminded me of another Star Trek episode where the aliens use computers to simulate war.

Was it as good as the original film... probably not, because at times it felt like they were trying a bit hard to recapture the same mood, but still the best Marvel movie since... well... Guardians of the Galaxy 1. Some great dialogue, in particular between Mantis and Drax, and Michael Rooker was at his absolute Walking Dead best.

Oh, and the 'My Sweet Lord' song choice was better than the "I'm not in Love" scene in the first. Absolutely perfect.

Bring on Thanos!

I liked the end battle much more than GotG1 as well. The battle at the end of the first I kept thinking to myself, "Ok, he's not getting up from that. Oh wait, he's not dead yet. OK, THAT should have killed him. Oh no, not dead yet."

In this one, they explain what needs to be done, and that takes a while, but you knew where things stood.

Regarding Groot at the beginning, if you approach as you would a movie with an opening cartoon, a la the Pink Panther, it works perfectly fine. My 15 year old had the same sentiment you had though.

I had a similar discussion with my son regarding the plot though. Most long running franchises do not rely on the plot of the day to keep everything going, they rely on character interactions. Each of the members of the team in this movie showed some character development. I compare this to the Avenger movies, I loved the first one, the rest have been forgettable. They have relied too much on plot and visuals rather than further developing characters or the team.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #6504
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Read that as a couple of near nude John Goodman scenes. He's gotten in better shape, but I still don't think I'm up for that.

Well, that is exactly what I meant. *shurg*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 PM   #6505
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'm watchign Turbo Kid right now and it's a blast of fun. 7 outta 10 right now

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 05-09-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:59 AM   #6506
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Turbo Kid wasn't bad... There's a sweetness to it.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #6507
PilotMan
Head Coach

Put me in the bag with Prometheus sucked. Like it could have been so good, but it was a big miss overall.

Just saw Doctor Strange and I really hadn't planned to like it, but it was one of the better recent superhero movies out there. Probably a 6.5 or 7/10 for me personally. As I was there watching it, I thought what makes this movie good, is that it's a cross between Empire Strikes Back and Kung Fu Panda. That seemed most appropriate.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #6508
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The real problem with Prometheus was that it just felt like they kept saying "yes" to either story ideas or character designs, and never circling back and editing to make it make sense.

How many different alien designs were there.... and why?

Really loved the first half (wasn't perfect but good) but really falls off a cliff.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #6509
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lots of the criticism of Prometheus gets hung up on the intricacies of the plot, but I couldn't get past the fact that every single character was a fucking idiot whose actions in crucial situations always directly contradicted whatever their particular purpose was.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:24 AM   #6510
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Turbo Kid wasn't bad... There's a sweetness to it.

There is. I think I would have appreciated it more if I hadn't seen Stranger Things, but it was a fun ride... 6.5 to a 7 out of 10.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 AM   #6511
Groundhog
Coordinator

Logan - 8.5/10

Oh hey look Warner Bros, it's possible to make a super hero movie that is both dark and not terrible! I'll admit my Wolverine fanboy-ness grades it a point or two higher than it deserves on it's own merit, but I enjoyed this quite a bit, and it felt like the perfect send off to Jackman and the "original" X-Men film characters.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 AM   #6512
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Logan - 8.5/10

Oh hey look Warner Bros, it's possible to make a super hero movie that is both dark and not terrible! I'll admit my Wolverine fanboy-ness grades it a point or two higher than it deserves on it's own merit, but I enjoyed this quite a bit, and it felt like the perfect send off to Jackman and the "original" X-Men film characters.

Can't agree more! Really liked movie and was very happy that they did not kill yet another Wolverine movie.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:05 PM   #6513
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Finally saw GET OUT - 9.5/10 - I loved it. Only docking it half a point because somehow my GF knew from the beginning what was going on despite not knowing shit about the film. I don't know how she does it. She ought to be a damn detective IMO.

Anyway, this was satisfying all the way through. Never fell all the way into a cliche, had some cool elements to the story that I thought were unique and it was also funny as hell. It was creepy and well acted, and the direction was excellent as well. Looking forward to more from Peele.

FUCK EA
Old 05-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #6514
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Alien Covenant - 6/10

All I can say is this just felt like yet another rehash. This movie had about 30-40 minutes of good movie splashed amongst a somewhat boring movie with very little new thought and a whole lot of bad. I really like the actors who played Tennessee and Daniels but otherwise a blah movie. Very disappointed.

I would have done a spoiler to explain in a little more detail but I cannot seem to do that from my phone.

Edit: After doing some further reading which pulls some things together I bumped the score up to a 6 but honestly would love any future movies to not focus on explaining as much and focus more on the unknown. And above all could we get the Colonial Space Marines back in focus. Really like the new collection of short stories Alien: Bug Hunt. Some really good stories there.

Last edited by cubboyroy1826 : 05-21-2017 at 01:39 PM.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #6515
Edward64
Head Coach

Alien Covenant - 7/10

I enjoyed the movie for what it was. Liked the action but would have preferred more. Did the plot have holes (e.g. new world/first contact/quarantine procedures)? Sure, but I went to watch it as a fan for the past 30 years or so, and it didn't disappoint.

Special effects were great.

I wouldn't mind retiring this 2 part series which is more thought provoking than the earlier movies. I would like to see a return to Aliens (#2) with space marines and more mindless shoot them up & gore or back to Aliens vs Predator genre.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:31 PM   #6516
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Well this is interesting

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...m-project.aspx

The director of the Avengers is taking over for Justice League. I might actually go and see that movie now.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:12 PM   #6517
chinaski
College Prospect

Guardians of the Galaxy - 9/10. Just so good, even better than the first. The sentimentality was a bit heavy handed, but other than that, incredible.

Oh it was my first time in a Cinetopia with the couches and tables. Ill never sit in a chair like a peasant again! Best movie experience ever.

Last edited by chinaski : 05-23-2017 at 06:13 PM.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:15 PM   #6518
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
Oh it was my first time in a Cinetopia with the couches and tables. Ill never sit in a chair like a peasant again! Best movie experience ever.

I saw Guardians in what I imagine is our Aussie version of Cinetopia for the first time, and I agree. Considering I only go to the cinema a couple of times a year (at most), I'm going all-out everytime.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:29 PM   #6519
chinaski
College Prospect

Quote:
I saw Guardians in what I imagine is our Aussie version of Cinetopia for the first time, and I agree. Considering I only go to the cinema a couple of times a year (at most), I'm going all-out everytime.

Yeah same here, totally worth the 30 bucks.. and got a great cheeseburger, drink and fries..... brought right to me! I felt like I was fresh off the boat.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:07 PM   #6520
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So Top Gun 2 is apparently happening
Old 05-24-2017, 09:54 PM   #6521
PilotMan
Head Coach

The Wizard of Lies 8/10 -

Fantastic HBO movie. The best the De Niro has been in years. Tells the story of the Madoff arrest, how it effected his victims, and his family. Michelle Pfeiffer plays Ruth, and does a great job. The movie brings you into the heart of it all, gives you all the viewpoints and how Bernie sheltered everyone and how he thought that he had it all under control. Even when he knew what he was risking he always seemed to find a way to rationalize it to himself. It's a sad story, but you aren't left feeling sorry for the family, as left to ponder the incredible storm that his actions left in it's wake.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:31 PM   #6522
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So Top Gun 2 is apparently happening

Yes! There was an article of actor/actress then & now. Only Cruise looked as if he aged well.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:59 AM   #6523
Groundhog
Coordinator

Alien Covenant: 7/10

It feels like Ridley Scott struggles to find that balance between action and cerebral sci-fi. Enjoyed it, Fassbender was great (as always), but I think the action felt forced against what was otherwise a more "Prometheus" type backdrop.

Get Out - 9.5/10
Best horror movie I've seen in years.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM   #6524
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

La La Land - 9/10: I really really enjoyed this film. I tend to enjoy musicals to begin with, so this was in my wheelhouse and it nailed it! The cinematography was fantastic (made me wish I saw it on the big screen). The songs were well done and quite catchy. The leads was amazing. Gosling was great, but Stone just nailed the role. It did drag a bit in the middle, but I really thought the ending was quite fantastic.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:03 PM   #6525
Suicane75
Coordinator

Walter: 6.2103/10

Story of a young man who believes he's the son of god and spends his days taking theater tickets and judging people eternal souls.

Uneven, and the first half is too quirky for it's own good, but once everything starts making sense it gets good. Virginia Madsen is pretty much wasted, which is a shame, and William Macy is great but his role is small. The lead lacks presence, which affects the early part of the film but is overcome by a strong 3rd act.

Hang in there, even if it feels a bit like it's going to be silly, whimsical, indilicious quirkfest. It gets good.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:27 AM   #6526
Suicane75
Coordinator

The Belko Experiment: 2.235/10

Cleverless, dim movie about a building full of workers faced with task of having to decide who among them lives and dies.

I generally love movies like this that involve people having to solve puzzles, figure things out in order to survive, etc... So when I saw the IMDB recommendation for this one, starring two guys I really enjoy in John McGinley & John Gallagher Jr., I was all in.

Unfortunately there's nothing about the script that in any way passes for clever. For what the movie is billed as, it's a complete letdown. It takes almost no time for the film to breakdown into good guys vs bad guys, to the point that the premise might not as well exist. McGinley is utterly wasted and it shows in his performance. Gallagher is trying but the script is just too hard to rise above. At time his earnestness comes off as comical through no fault of his own, he's just in a really shitty movie.

Too dumb to be intriguing and too comical to get it's point across even if it was smarter, The Belko Experiment is a failure.

Last edited by Suicane75 : 06-09-2017 at 03:27 AM.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #6527
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
The Belko Experiment: 2.235/10

Was this a Ben E Lou production?

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-09-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #6528
Edward64
Head Coach

Wonder Woman - 8/10

Saw it yesterday and really enjoyed it. I didn't like the main boss battle that much, thought it took away from the main story line. Great action, great slo-mo fighting sequences, great special effects etc.

One for my blu-ray collection when it comes out.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:47 PM   #6529
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Cars 3 - 6/10: Hey, that was pretty decent! I was worried due to the terrible Cars 2, but this was much better. I really enjoyed the squaring of the circle - in Cars 1, McQueen was the new up and coming racer with the fancy car, whereas in this one he's the old timer trying to deal with the new technologically superior cars and has to figure out what to do with himself. Also as someone who has recently gotten into NASCAR, I really enjoyed the walk through the history of the sport as McQueen takes his own journey. It dragged a bit in the middle and didn't have nearly the humor of other Pixar films, but overall quite well done. Oh, and as always Pixar nailed it on the visuals.
Old 06-18-2017, 05:08 PM   #6530
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

My Life As A Zucchini - 7/10 - Short little french stop motion animation with English dubbed by the likes of Nick Offerman, Ellen Page, and Will Forte. This little film covers some mature territory as "Zucchini" spends the first few minutes of the film in his bedroom in the attic building castles out of his moms empty beer cans. She comes upstairs to beat him after he accidentally knocks over the tower and makes a racket, but he closes the door to the attic out of fear, causing her to fall and die from some unseen trauma. The film pulls no punches when it comes to the reality he and the other kids at his new orphanage face, but it is ultimately a hopeful tale that I think should be seen by kids who think they have it rough in life, as well as kids who can relate to the plight of Zucchini and the other kids at the orphanage. Over the next hour or so, it covers the ups and downs and trials and tribulations as Zucchini grows accustomed to his new life and its a really good film IMO. It veers into pretty mature territory at times, but I think kids films shouldn't be afraid to get into this kind of territory. The world is a brutal place and there are a lot of painful things to deal with, but the film tries to show that there can be hope.

Watch it before you dive in with the family blind, but I think for many of us this kind of animated film is going to be something with a little more substance than the average fare.

Raw - 8/10 - Gotta watch this one with subtitles, but it has some serious edge to it as well. Another French film, this time about a vegetarian girl who goes off to veterinary school where she learns there might be a deeper reason why her family was vegan her whole life. A visceral film with some interesting and dark themes. Raw indeed. If you like slightly off beat horror/thrillers, this one is worth a watch, but go in as blind as possible.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-18-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:01 PM   #6531
Groundhog
Coordinator

Silence - 6.5/10
I liked the first 80% better than the last 20%. Being both not religious and also familiar with the history of this period, I think I enjoyed it less than others might for both those reasons - there's a ton of documentation from this period from both Japanese and Europeans sources that would have made better discussion points than what we saw between the Jesuit and the Investigator. Of course, it's a remake, so I have to give Scorsese a bit of a pass here, and he nailed the setting as far as costumes and sets go, at least. Also to his credit, off the top of my head it's the only US remake of a Japanese movie where I've preferred the remake to the original though, which I saw years ago but would probably have rated a 4 or 5 at the time.

As far as the cast go, Andrew Garfield was solid but Driver was absolutely phenomenal and I'd like to see them have switched roles. Not sure how else Liam Neeson could have played that particular character, but he felt wasted IMO. The Japanese cast was a mixed bag, but like Neeson I don't think they were given a lot to work with.
Old 06-18-2017, 09:56 PM   #6532
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Silence isn't a movie remake. It's an adaptation of the acclaimed novel by Shusaku Endo (a Japanese Christian himself).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2017, 10:03 PM   #6533
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Silence isn't a movie remake. It's an adaptation of the acclaimed novel by Shusaku Endo (a Japanese Christian himself).

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

True, I haven't read the book. I don't know which is a closer adaptation, but both seemed similar to me, although it's been years.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:39 PM   #6534
Edward64
Head Coach

Life - 7/10

Bought Life blu-ray and watched it tonight. I enjoyed Life, it had a good story, special effects, tense moments etc.

I was disappointed in the last part though, it could have been better.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 PM   #6535
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, I started watching some other Donnie Yen martial arts movies.

Enjoyed him in IP Man 1 and 3 (no. 2 wasn't that great). I thought I would see what else he has done and surprisingly, quite a bit. Went to Amazon and found $10-$12 DVDs of his english-subtitled movies. Starting to build a collection.

Not great acting but bearable, great action and definitely several step up from the older HK kung-fu movies. His martial arts has some "wire" special effects but not as flagrant as many others. Biggest problem is sometimes you don't have enough time to read the sub-titles.

If you enjoyed IP Man, give his other movies a shot.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #6536
Groundhog
Coordinator

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet, but I'm still in disbelief that Warner Bros (from what I hear) got this one right, out of all their DC properties...
Old 06-21-2017, 01:17 AM   #6537
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
FWIW, I started watching some other Donnie Yen martial arts movies.

Enjoyed him in IP Man 1 and 3 (no. 2 wasn't that great). I thought I would see what else he has done and surprisingly, quite a bit. Went to Amazon and found $10-$12 DVDs of his english-subtitled movies. Starting to build a collection.

Not great acting but bearable, great action and definitely several step up from the older HK kung-fu movies. His martial arts has some "wire" special effects but not as flagrant as many others. Biggest problem is sometimes you don't have enough time to read the sub-titles.

If you enjoyed IP Man, give his other movies a shot.

My movie collection contains over 25 Chinese/Hong Kong martial arts movies, easily the largest sub-genre in my large collection. I am starting branch out into Muay Thai movies as well. Most of the movies would be wuxia and wire-fu but they are all made within the last 20 years, thus exluding all of the Lee/Chan movies. I find the artistry in a lot of these to be phenomenal, esp. from my favorite director, Zhang Yimou. And it had come to the point where I am choosing movies solely on the performers: Jet Li, Yen, Lau, Ziyi, Leung, Chang and Kaneshiro and nearly all of my collection includes one or more of those, not to mention being period pieces. Sure they're heroic and a bit propogandic but I love the use of colors, great geography and choreographed action.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 01:18 AM   #6538
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I love Hong Kong Kung Fu too, but I'm partial to the '70s Shaw Brothers stuff.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 06-21-2017 at 05:33 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:48 AM   #6539
revrew
Team Chaplain

Spider-Man: Homecoming - 7/10

Fun film. Make sure to sit all the way through the credits to the bitter, bitter end. There's a late, post-credit scene you don't want to miss.

This movie learned from some of the mistakes of past Spidey films, such as cramming in too many villains or messing with the origin story and/or iconic lines. Really, this is a film divorced completely from the previous two incarnations, and that's a good thing.

It is definitely more of a teeny-boppy version of Spidey, but as long as you aren't expecting deep drama (there is NONE) and just want to enjoy lighthearted fare, not bad. This movie doesn't take itself seriously, a bit of comic relief in the midst of Marvel's heavier universe films. Not as original or fun as the Guardians franchise, but still enjoyable.

As for "ranking" it among the other Spider-Man films, my 17-y-o son and I argue about this all the time. I prefer the Tobey Mac films; he likes Garfield. Generation gap there. Yet I willingly admit Tobey3 was the worst of the whole lot. In this case, I would put "Homecoming" as the second or third best of the lot, behind Tobey1 and/or 2, but ahead of any Garfield flick. (I downgrade Garfield because the villains just don't stack up, even if Garfield and Emma Stone are the better actors). Again, no gravitas whatsoever in "Homecoming," but plenty of fun.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #6540
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Baby Driver. 8/10
I love a good heist flick, and this one didn't disappoint.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #6541
korme
Go Reds

BABY DRIVER - 9/10
Edgar Wright is a visionary. The pace stayed fierce for two straight hours. The constant music, and the scenes with actions that tied into matching the score's drum beats just lead to a very cool experience. Lots of fun.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:19 PM   #6542
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Hacksaw Ridge 10/10.

One of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

FUCK EA
Old 07-09-2017, 09:33 PM   #6543
Easy Mac

Doctor Strange - 6.5/10. Perfectly cromulent. Cumberbath's accent threw me though.

Life - 5/10. Ok suspense, but they were just so dumb the whole movie. Ryan Reynolds in small doses is always great.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #6544
Edward64
Head Coach

The Shack - 6/10

I thought it was well acted and the premise was good. I'm sure its inspirational for some but the back-and-forth discussions didn't personally work for me. Not one that I would buy and watch once in a while.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #6545
Edward64
Head Coach

War for Planet of the Apes - 5/10

The first third was the strongest part of the movie and then it went downhill from there. Started noticing stupid plot holes that was (IMO) just poor writing in the last 2/3.

Great special effects, good closeups but do think it tried too hard on the humor which did not seem to fit the movie.

Pretty disappointed in the movie. #2 was the best of the 3.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-23-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:28 AM   #6546
Edward64
Head Coach

Kong Skull Island - 8/10

One of the better action movies I've seen this year. The special effects were great, lots of action etc. Saw it on the plane so a little disadvantaged with the small screen but this one is for the Blu-Ray collection when it goes on sale during BF.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #6547
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Kong Skull Island - 8/10

One of the better action movies I've seen this year. The special effects were great, lots of action etc. Saw it on the plane so a little disadvantaged with the small screen but this one is for the Blu-Ray collection when it goes on sale during BF.

I was shocked by how much I enjoyed this film in theaters. One of my best movie experiences in theater in a long time.

Alas, upon renting it recently, my 42" TV just didn't do it justice. Still a fun movie, but its flaws were more evident when the big screen and surround sound weren't wowing me speechless.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #6548
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
War for Planet of the Apes - 5/10

Pretty disappointed in the movie. #2 was the best of the 3.

Yep. Only I wouldn't go as high as a 5.

Now, to really stir the hornet's nest:

Dunkirk - 3/10

Over.Rated. This is one of those films where I think the critics' constant buzz is driving audiences to rate it higher than it really deserves in terms of audience experience.

Nolan got really artsy with this, and in the process seemed to forget what makes for a captivating movie experience.

I thought the movie lacked:

- Context - Why were these men stranded on Dunkirk? Why was the British Navy not rescuing them? Why were the Germans not slaughtering them like monkeys in a barrel and only attacking with 3 planes at a time? I had to go read the Wikipedia article afterward just to find out what the heck was going on. Assuming the audience just "knows" the history of this event and leaving it out of the movie is like the "Titanic" director just deciding everyone knows the ship sinks so not showing that part. What??

- The context of time - Nolan purposefully skipped all over the place in terms of time, sometimes showing you events out of order, then showing you them again from another perspective. Which was all a cool idea ... if it worked. But as an audience member, not knowing when things were happening was baffling, and I found myself watching 20 minutes of movie only to realize, "Oh, wait. I just watched that whole segment thinking it was at this time, when really it was at that time ... I think."

- The context of scale - So the history books say that 800 ships saved 400,000 men from the beach. Then why did the movie never show more than 20 boats at a time or more than 500 men on the beach at a time? Where WAS everybody in this movie? I thought Dunkirk was some "miraculous," epic rescue effort. But there was nothing epic about the movie's big, empty beach, and a big, empty ocean.

- Dialogue - A thick, English accent is understandable. But then don't have the characters mumbling, not looking at the camera when they talk, speaking through masks. Half the film, I couldn't make out what the people were even saying.

Frankly, I found the movie so boring in the first 40 minutes, I was contemplating walking out. But I knew it was a big, epic, historical story ... so I waited ... for some really cool shots of Tom Hardy's plane flying over the beach and some cool dogfight footage ... that all would have made a better YouTube video than full-length movie.

IMO, Nolan screwed up this movie trying to be too clever. Critics will love it. This audience member hated it.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:53 PM   #6549
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Valerian and the many people world or whatever 7/10

Visually I really liked this movie, I only saw it in 2D but I could imagine it would be wonderful in 3D. The story was good, although there are some plot liberties taken, or not explained well enough to set up how one major player got to where they are. I think the overall story arc was interesting and made for a good story. I actually really enjoyed the actress that played Lauraline, she had some really good reactions to some of the events that were going on. I was surprised to find out that she's a model an hasn't acted a ton before this. I found her and Valerian to be pretty believable although I would have liked more background on their characters.

On the downside the technical jump for one group in the movie opened a lot of questions that while they tried to explain them didn't make sense. There was also some kind of pink panther level weirdness to the main villain which I found distracting. The movie isn't serious by any stretch of the imagination but their reaction to things and some of the directing choice made them seem very comedic when it wasn't warranted.

Overall I thought it was good, had some fun, just try not to think too hard about some of the plot points.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #6550
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrew View Post
- Dialogue - A thick, English accent is understandable. But then don't have the characters mumbling, not looking at the camera when they talk, speaking through masks. Half the film, I couldn't make out what the people were even saying.

I have nothing constructive to add other to suggest you clearly don't know many English people, because this sounds dead on
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote