Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-28-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Discussion on latest Stringer Suit

"COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The National Football League fosters a "deadly culture" of abusive exercise that contributed to the death of Minnesota Viking player Korey Stringer, according to a lawsuit filed Monday.

The lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Columbus, Ohio, alleges that NFL coaches, trainers and doctors subject players to potentially fatal conditions by forcing them to participate in practices conducted in extreme heat and humidity while wearing improper clothes for such temperatures."

Full story: http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2003/0728/1586447.html

My question is for the folks who follow legal things. Was the U.S. district court in Columbus the best venue for a suit?

EDIT: if you just want to call the woman a moneygrubbing whore, please go to the other thread. http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...threadid=11999

Last edited by Fritz : 07-28-2003 at 01:52 PM.
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:24 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I think it's probably the absolute perfect place for a lawsuit. Filing in Minnesota would be a mistake, because she's already lost there once and I think a jury pool would be more likely to favor the home team than her.

But in Columbus, the lawyers will be able to portray Stringer as an Ohio State kid made good and make it easier to bring in witnesses from OSU who will vouch for Corey and make an impression on the jury.

I can't see the defense gaining an advantage from the location. If the case wasn't in Minnesota, I would think the defense would prefer any location except Columbus.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:48 PM   #3
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Having worked in a law office that did a lot of federal court defense for a while I know a lot depends on the judges in the district and the precedent. Does anyone know anything about the makeup of this court?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #4
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by kcchief19
But in Columbus, the lawyers will be able to portray Stringer as an Ohio State kid made good and make it easier to bring in witnesses from OSU who will vouch for Corey and make an impression on the jury.

I can't see the defense gaining an advantage from the location. If the case wasn't in Minnesota, I would think the defense would prefer any location except Columbus.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Korey Stringer mocked for his weight more in college than he was in the NFL? Portraying Stringer as an OSU kid may not do to well because that 'deadly culture' was even greater while he was that college kid than when he was a pro.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote