Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #51
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I had the opportunity to play one-on-one with David Thompson once. This was in the mid-90s, and he was 40 years old at the time; I was 17 and at a basketball camp. The more hilarious part was trying to defend him, a completely hopeless exercise even though he wasn't trying that hard. I can see a decent athlete scoring on Jordan, once, if they got lucky. Most people though? Zero shot whatsoever. And if the shoe was on the other foot, forget it. Getting dunked on at about the moment I even realized Thompson was by me is my biggest memory. The sheer quickness ... and of course prime Jordan would be even faster ... and speed of the first step of players like that can only be appreciated up close.

People are saying stuff like "I would just chuck it up ten times, one would go in"

"I would do a step back jumper"

And my favorite sone guy said he would back him down the basket. I was like, bruh, the second you put the ball on the deck it's over/

another guy said Jordan wasn't a great defender...

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:58 PM   #52
miami_fan
Coordinator

Obviously the talent is one thing. What I don't think people take into consideration is the competitiveness that would drive the elite athlete to prevent you from scoring. I think most people believe that at some point the athlete is going to let up and drop their levels because that is what the average person would do. The elite athlete don't let that happen much less the madman that is Michael Jordan.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:03 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Ever watch Pros vs. Joes?

I remember that show. Made it starkly clear what the gap really is most of the time.

Another thing people don't seem to realize, I think, is how much larger most athletes are than the average person.

Take Jordan, he was never a "big" by any sense of the word ... and he's 6' 6".

I had that revelation driven home years ago when I discovered I shopped in the same record store as Dominique Wilkins. I bumped into him (literally), turning right into a very minor collision. I barely cleared his belly button and I'm 6' even.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #54
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Some of these people are insane. A guy is claiming he is quicker then Danny Ainge. Another claiming there are a ton of guys better than NBA players and 90% of it is luck.
Old 02-19-2021, 09:52 PM   #55
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

My dad went to a dream camp one time at AT&T Park. He put the first pitch from Vida Blue off the wall in left field. He didn't hit so much as a foul ball the rest of the time. The competition thing is absolutely real. My dad loved the experience, but noted that if he wanted to, Vida could have struck everyone at the camp out every single time.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 02-19-2021 at 09:54 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:05 AM   #56
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Obviously the talent is one thing. What I don't think people take into consideration is the competitiveness that would drive the elite athlete to prevent you from scoring. I think most people believe that at some point the athlete is going to let up and drop their levels because that is what the average person would do. The elite athlete don't let that happen much less the madman that is Michael Jordan.

Had the exact same thought.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 09:15 AM   #57
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I had the opportunity to play one-on-one with David Thompson once. This was in the mid-90s, and he was 40 years old at the time; I was 17 and at a basketball camp. The more hilarious part was trying to defend him, a completely hopeless exercise even though he wasn't trying that hard. I can see a decent athlete scoring on Jordan, once, if they got lucky. Most people though? Zero shot whatsoever. And if the shoe was on the other foot, forget it. Getting dunked on at about the moment I"even realized Thompson was by me is my biggest memory. The sheer quickness ... and of course prime Jordan would be even faster ... and speed of the first step of players like that can only be appreciated up close.

My brother was a very good player. He and another guy were in a gym playing 2 on 2 winners keep playing. They'd won a few and a new team came out. One guy "normal" size the other a white guy around 6'6". He said the tall guy was doing things with the ball that was amazing and he just killed them. The guy was Craig Ehlo
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #58
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:36 AM   #59
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Some what relevant...for those who don't appreciate the level of athleticism of professional (or even D1 college)...watch a game at field level. The first time this happened for me was at the Big 10 basketball tournament where I snuck down to sit courtside.

Another story, one year I worked some pretty high level games and at the end of the year got invited to one of the college all star games. Full of arrogance and confidence I thought it would be easy. Needless to say, there's a HUGH difference in overall speed and athleticism when you take the best players from each team and make two teams from them versus just the best college team in the country.

I watched this player make a one handed catch in the EZ and get two feet down. I was all pumped because I nailed the touchdown call. That was until the NFL guy with me asked if I knew what made him make the one-handed catch...it's because the defender pinned down his other arm and I missed the DPI. It was all one big blur to me.

Still to this day, Lamar Jackson is the best athlete I have seen live.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 02-25-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:40 AM   #60
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

My boss gave me seats on the baseline next to the Louisville bench for a UL/Rutgers (I think?) game years ago. I took my younger daughter who was a basketball freak. We were so close I could have high fived Pitino. The game at that level was amazing. Montrezl Harrell was on that team. I couldn't believe he was an actual human being.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-25-2021 at 09:40 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 09:57 AM   #61
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We played pickup after class in law school. One of my classmates had played D3 in college. And it was like we didn't belong on the floor with him. He just went 80% and still pretty much toyed with us.

And then I think that if he got on the floor with D1 guys, he would look like he didn't belong.

And if 95% of those D1 guys got in a game with NBA players, they'd be run out of the gym.

I sometimes think when I see a guy sitting on the end of an NBA bench as the 11th guy, hoping to get 5 minutes of playing time near the end of the third quarter, that he was probably the greatest athlete that his high school had ever seen.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:55 AM   #62
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Some what relevant...for those who don't appreciate the level of athleticism of professional (or even D1 college)...watch a game at field level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My boss gave me seats on the baseline next to the Louisville bench for a UL/Rutgers (I think?) game years ago. I took my younger daughter who was a basketball freak. We were so close I could have high fived Pitino. The game at that level was amazing. Montrezl Harrell was on that team. I couldn't believe he was an actual human being.

So true. The closest I've ever been to the floor at an NBA game was the 9th or 10th row. Sitting down there and realizing I was at eye-level with Vlade Divac was a mind-blowing experience.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #63
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There was a lot of critisism for the Pierce firing, but if this report is true then they had no choice. Young, Collins and Reddish are the future of the team. If they couldn't get along with him, then he was the one who was going.

Report: Trae Young, Hawks Players Were 'Eager' for Change Before Pierce Firing | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-02-2021 at 02:19 PM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #64
Atocep
Coordinator

He probably wanted Trae Young to play defense at least a couple of possessions a game.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #65
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
We played pickup after class in law school. One of my classmates had played D3 in college. And it was like we didn't belong on the floor with him. He just went 80% and still pretty much toyed with us.

And then I think that if he got on the floor with D1 guys, he would look like he didn't belong.

And if 95% of those D1 guys got in a game with NBA players, they'd be run out of the gym.

I sometimes think when I see a guy sitting on the end of an NBA bench as the 11th guy, hoping to get 5 minutes of playing time near the end of the third quarter, that he was probably the greatest athlete that his high school had ever seen.

When I first moved to Seattle a guy that worked with my wife started a team of coworkers that played in a local league and I was invited to join. Turns out the guy, who was probably in his mid 30s, had been a walk on at Vanderbilt. Lets just say I was glad he was on my team, the guy was a freak. No one else in the league was even close to him. This guy could have gotten a scholarship to a lot of D1 schools but wanted the education. Worked out well for him as he is now a VP with Procter and Gamble.
Old 03-07-2021, 09:15 PM   #66
JPhillips
General Manager

Is Blake Griffin garbage or just unmotivated?
Old 03-07-2021, 09:58 PM   #67
miami_fan
Coordinator

I would say that he is not a max player anymore and if healthy is a bargain at the minimum. I don't think he quit on the Pistons or lacked motivation. I don't think his body will allow him to lead that Pistons team to even a .400 winning percentage. Hopefully, with the reduced workload, he will be a consistent part of the rotation.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #68
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

re: the Meyers Leonard controversy

I can completely believe he used that word without having a clue what its origins were. That doesn't relieve him from responsibility for using it, I'm just noting that I can actually believe that part of his apology.

My own kid is in class with grad students that a) can't pronounce Des Moines and b) don't know what a "chop shop" is

If those things are real (and they are) then Leonard's claim is completely plausible
Old 03-10-2021, 05:57 AM   #69
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
re: the Meyers Leonard controversy

I can completely believe he used that word without having a clue what its origins were. That doesn't relieve him from responsibility for using it, I'm just noting that I can actually believe that part of his apology.

My own kid is in class with grad students that a) can't pronounce Des Moines and b) don't know what a "chop shop" is

If those things are real (and they are) then Leonard's claim is completely plausible

I tend to agree with you. My only hesitation is that the word feels like something I have not heard regularly since All in the Family. How does that word get into the vocabulary of a 29 year old? That is just a weird pull for someone of that age. My only guess is he came across the word within social media and repeated what he heard. I liken it to a five year old who is around people who curse a lot and just randomly says what he heard.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #70
bob
College Starter

Former Maverick Shawn Bradley has just released a statement through the team announcing he was recently struck from behind by an automobile while riding his bicycle near his home in St. George, Utah, and suffered a traumatic spinal cord injury that left him paralyzed.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #71
JPhillips
General Manager

Holy crap, that's terrible.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:52 PM   #72
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Jesus. That’s horrible.
Old 03-22-2021, 06:08 AM   #73
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There was a lot of critisism for the Pierce firing, but if this report is true then they had no choice. Young, Collins and Reddish are the future of the team. If they couldn't get along with him, then he was the one who was going.

Report: Trae Young, Hawks Players Were 'Eager' for Change Before Pierce Firing | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights
8 games later, 8 wins. The Hawks have gone from out of the playoffs to a four seed. Small sample size and all, but it seems maybe there was something to the need to move on from Pierce?
Old 03-22-2021, 07:23 AM   #74
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
8 games later, 8 wins. The Hawks have gone from out of the playoffs to a four seed. Small sample size and all, but it seems maybe there was something to the need to move on from Pierce?

Firing a coach is almost always shuffling deck chairs during that current season. It's more of a way for the owner to let the fans know that he shares their frustration, and so y'all keep coming to the games, and we will be ready to go with an awesome new coach this offseason.

This seems like the rare case where firing a coach has tangible positive benefits during that season.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #75
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The Hawks are just playing a whole lot better. Under Pierce they'd fall apart in the 4th Quarter. You aren't seeing that under Nate. Lot smarter rotations as well (one of the reasons they are doing a lot better in the 4th, imo).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2021, 11:07 AM   #76
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The Hawks are just playing a whole lot better. Under Pierce they'd fall apart in the 4th Quarter. You aren't seeing that under Nate. Lot smarter rotations as well (one of the reasons they are doing a lot better in the 4th, imo).

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Also look at the difference in production from Gallinari & Snell under the two coaches, it's a shocking difference. Not at all sure that's coaching related, may just be timing that McMillan is the beneficiary of.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:47 AM   #77
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Figured this was apropos here, considering our earlier discussions.

NBA: Teen challenges retired NBA player, gets embarrassed
Old 03-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #78
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep, that's pretty amusing. You don't know what you don't know sometimes.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #79
Ksyrup

Damn, been a while since this thread was posted in.

Anyway, Jamal Murray tore his ACL.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-01-2021, 08:36 PM   #80
miami_fan
Coordinator

Wardell Stephen Curry is still a pretty good basketball player.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:56 AM   #81
miami_fan
Coordinator

I usually don't watch or care about any HOF ceremony. I am super excited for the Class of 2020 Basketball HOF ceremony tomorrow though.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:05 AM   #82
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am going to trust Woj on this one.

Not the class of 2020 but all of the players are derserving. I am really happy for Chris Webber and especially Ben Wallace. I feel like Webber's college discrepancies have been held over his head and keeping him from his rightful place in the HOF. Wallace was among the best defensive players of his generation.
Old 05-23-2021, 08:49 PM   #83
GrantDawg

Since Nate McMillan took over as head coach, the Hawks have had the best record in Eastern Conference. They went from an eleven seed well under .500 to the fith seed. The numbers are crazy. They went from the 20th best winning record at home, to first. They went from -65 point differential in the fourth quarter to a +69.
The fact that people had the Knicks strolling through this series is crazy. It is far from over, but winning that first game in New York should wake people up to the fact that the Hawks are not going to go quietly.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 05-24-2021 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #84
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Looking at a box score earlier left me wondering: has any 4th seed ever had a weaker roster than the Knicks?

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-24-2021 at 01:16 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:01 PM   #85
miami_fan
Coordinator

Boston Celtics president Danny Ainge retires, coach Brad Stevens takes over

Ainge out, Stevens is now in charge, new HC coming soon.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #86
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Looking at a box score earlier left me wondering: has any 4th seed ever had a weaker roster than the Knicks?

The fact that Thibs won't win coach of the year is a downright travesty.
Old 06-07-2021, 07:52 PM   #87
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The fact that Thibs won't win coach of the year is a downright travesty.

Well son of a bitch. I am VERY happy to be wrong, just won a nice chunk of change. Bet him at 20-1 to win coach of the year a few months ago.
Old 06-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #88
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 06-13-2021, 04:23 PM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

The Bucks are working way too hard to beat the Harden-less and Kyrie-less Nets.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:52 AM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just finished the replay of the Bucks vs Kevin Durant game last night. What an embarrassing performance by the Bucks.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:07 AM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Phoenix Suns' Chris Paul out indefinitely, placed in NBA health and safety protocols
Old 06-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #92
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If Chris Paul didn't get vaccinated, and his team ends up losing in large part because he got COVID . . .

It will be an interesting test case. I think that pre-vaccine, fans were forgiving of players getting COVID b/c what else could you be.

Now? I don't see why fans won't blame the players 100% for it. I certainly will if/when it happens to a player for a team I root for.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #93
miami_fan
Coordinator

I think it depends on the type of criticism you are expecting. You will get the expected criticism from the fans who are vaccinated and believe everyone should be vaccinated. Among those who are not vaccinated, I can see the criticism of Paul also being similar to say Plaxico Burress. I.E. why would he put himself in danger in this way when, because of all his resources, he could just stay home and not be exposed? Different circumstances I know but I think you see where I am going. We have seen how getting the vaccinations have been incentivized for the general public. There would be a lot of I would get vaccinated if I was playing for a title or making that sort of money conversation going on. The third category depends on how ill Paul is if he actually has COVID I can see him getting a great deal of support if he is asymptomatic or he is in the protocol because of contact tracing. That scenario allows for questions about testing, NBA protocols, etc.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:41 PM   #94
miami_fan
Coordinator

I know we have evolved in our thinking when it comes to gambling. Does the NBA feel as uneasy as it would have say ten years ago when it is reported that "former gambler" Haralabos Voulgaris has "increasing decision-making influence in the management structure of its team"?
Old 06-16-2021, 09:32 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This might be the most Failadelphia moment ever.

Wow.

Barring a remarkable recovery in the next two games, I don't know how you don't blow them up, starting with the essentially useless Doc Rivers.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:52 PM   #96
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I just finished the replay of the Bucks vs Kevin Durant game last night. What an embarrassing performance by the Bucks.

Sixers: Hold my beer.
Old 06-17-2021, 05:32 AM   #97
GrantDawg

The Hawks were down ten with more than 4 and a half minutes left. They came back and won, with the 76ers only scoring 2 points in that time. The Hawks were down 26 at one point. Wow.
As an Atlanta sports fan, I am use to being on the other side of these things. I don't know how to act.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-17-2021 at 05:34 AM.
Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 AM   #98
Ksyrup

And I think the only 2 points the 76ers scored was a meaningless put-back at the buzzer.
Old 06-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #99
Ksyrup

Seems like something went south from a couple weeks ago when the Mavs had a 3-2 lead over the Clippers to now.
Old 06-17-2021, 08:27 PM   #100
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Seems like something went south from a couple weeks ago when the Mavs had a 3-2 lead over the Clippers to now.

I think Cuban called that something total bullshit.