Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports > "One And Done" Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #1
korme
Go Reds

Just a general post

To see where everyone stands so far.

I am through 2 seasons, improved nicely after season 1.

korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #2
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I've been on and off today (at in-laws). I'm through season 1 training camp, and am going through position-by-position to figure out who's getting cut. I'll hit this hard and heavy in the morning, and I suspect (with no more roster-buildling to do) that I'll get through 3-4 seasons in the morning.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Through 3 seasons. Doing okay, getting better each year, but we had some rough spots for sure.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM   #4
Subby
lolzcat

We are in the first round of the draft - we plan on spending the most time here - days, if necessary.

ALL PUNTERS ALL THE TIME.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
Logan
Head Coach

C/P of my questions I put in the thread on the FOF board...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I'm thru season 1...coaches/scouts are signed for next year, but what should happen when their deals are up? Should we just re-sign them?

Quote:
Another question...I'm heading into season 3. One of my QBs is refusing to sign his RFA contract because he's pissed about playing time. I'm guessing I have no other choice than to sign another crap QB?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:58 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Somehow I didn't manage to save my first draft/first season. I re-drafted, but I didn't re-scout. I can barely remember many of the guys I took the first time around. AFAIK, I didn't manage to "not" draft anyone this time around because of a past experience. Hopefully y'all won't hold this against me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:15 AM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Logan, you can franchise him
Old 12-25-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
C/P of my questions I put in the thread on the FOF board...

Maybe you can wait till he signs somewhere, and then trade picks for him? Just as a one time workaround, perhaps?
Old 12-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #9
Ben E Lou

Cut down to 53 now, and ready to roll. Looking forward to seeing this bunch improve.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #10
Ben E Lou

6-10 in year one. Better than I would have guessed. QB had a nice 88.1 rating as a rookie, a receiver averaged 8.66 yards per target, and RB1 had 1305 yards and 4.96ypc. Promising start on offense.

Incidentally, I'm
using an offensive philosophy that I call "The Lowcountry Shuffle." It's a mixture of some modifications of the "West Coast" and "Play Action Vertical Passing" philosophies that I made public. It makes heavy use of the Adjustments screen to move between the two philosophies at various points of the game, and heavy shifts in the formations screens. I had a lot of fun working out the mathematics for it, and it was very successful in WOOF this past season, and has been outstanding in FOFL so far this year as well. I'll implement it in IHOF and OSFL in the upcoming seasons, in all likelihood. Depending on how the game plays out, you could see nearly 100% usage of one philosophy or the other, or you could see the team switch philosophies multiple times during the same game. Fun stuff

Defense sucked the big one, though.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:14 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Offense clicking big-time in year 2 so far. Just had a no-punt game.

Dallas Cowboys
Quar Began Poss From Plays Yards Result
1 15:00 5:05 OWN 38 9 62 Touchdown
1 9:46 0:30 OPP 21 3 21 Touchdown
1 8:17 5:02 OWN 39 10 61 Touchdown
2 13:18 0:39 OWN 15 2 5 Interception
2 10:06 4:28 OWN 25 7 49 Field Goal
2 2:57 2:48 50 9 48 Field Goal
3 13:15 4:52 OWN 20 10 48 Field Goal
3 6:26 2:35 OWN 27 5 73 Touchdown
3 0:35 4:20 OWN 17 10 60 Field Goal
4 8:30 4:09 OWN 37 6 63 Touchdown
4 1:18 1:18 OWN 20 2 0 Game
Old 12-25-2007, 09:41 AM   #12
Landshark44
High School Varsity

i went to the bowl in year 3, after going 11-5.....

i lost. we'll get'em next year....
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Wow, you guys impress me. I'm heading into Season 6 and I've had six wins total.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #14
Landshark44
High School Varsity

Yr. 1 5-11 rb Off ROY
Yr. 2 8-8
Yr. 3 11-5 qb 1st team all-pro,lost in FOF Bowl..
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

In my second season, I had the player I picked at 1(4) come up with an apparently degenerative case of arthritis, while his primary backup is also out with something like a 60-week injury. This might be a total disaster.

Last edited by QuikSand : 12-25-2007 at 12:18 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:16 PM   #16
Ben E Lou

Got a bye but lost in divisional round in year 2.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:21 PM   #17
QuikSand
lolzcat

I need to stop reading this thread, I will get depressed at the "my dick is bigger than yours" stuff in short order.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:39 PM   #18
Ben E Lou

Quik, it just occurred to me (slowcoach, I know) that once everyone has gotten through year one, we can talk about the players, can't we? Maybe we could make the threads public a lot sooner than the 15th.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:41 PM   #19
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
In my second season, I had the player I picked at 1(4) come up with an apparently degenerative case of arthritis, while his primary backup is also out with something like a 60-week injury. This might be a total disaster.

Ouch. Ouch. Ouch.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog View Post
Quik, it just occurred to me (slowcoach, I know) that once everyone has gotten through year one, we can talk about the players, can't we? Maybe we could make the threads public a lot sooner than the 15th.

I would probably prefer that anything of that sort still be in a thread (like this one) posted with some sort of "spoiler" caveat label. *You* might have seen through everything there is to know after one season, but I'm not sure everyone will have.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:49 PM   #21
QuikSand
lolzcat

..plus, I know that I personally am already planning to play this out again, after what is turning rapidly into a shipwreck on my first trial. Fortunately for me (not really, but in this context), I didn't find more than a few surprising players my first time through, so I think I can go back into that draft class without very much insider knowledge.

With that in mind, I personally would want to be able to steer clear of any of your posts that would tell me exactly who are all the genius players that you found right away and who all turned into HOFers. I think a separate spoiler thread would work for that purpose for me and anyone else similarly situated.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:00 PM   #22
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I'm still working on the draft. I'm out of town right now and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. I figure that once I get through the draft I'll fly through seasons in no time at all.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 01:06 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

Oh, and since I really can't torture myself enough... I'm thinking that I will try a "misfit toys" version of the same challenge at some point. Not only stay within these already-crazy rules...but start out without *any* draft picks and assemble the "forever team" out of 53 guys who went undrafted. Yikes.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:11 PM   #24
Ben E Lou

Incidentally, this could change the way I play SP. I'm thinking of doing continual "one-and-dones". In other words, just trade the picks away one year at a time, and when I'm finally "done," then start over, maybe just keeping a minimal number (I'm thinking five) of spillover players from the last rookie class, that I would assume would be 6-12 years ago.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #25
larrymcg421
Head Coach

My kicker just made a 55 yard FG as time expired to beat the Broncos in week 16. It was our 3rd win in the first 2 years.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #26
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I need to stop reading this thread, I will get depressed at the "my dick is bigger than yours" stuff in short order.

Don't worry. My dick is apparently very, very small.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #27
Logan
Head Coach

My team resembles a married man's dick. It seems to only score one time a year.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #28
Subby
lolzcat

Finally made it through training camp. Was really exciting drafting all the guys in rounds 1 and 3 but just kind of ran out of gas.

The rest of this should fly by...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 12-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #29
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post

The rest of this should fly by...

It's not going nearly as quickly as I would have thought for me. In order to keep the team together as long as possible, I'm micromanaging playing time and injuries like I never have before.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 12-28-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 07:48 PM   #30
korme
Go Reds

I was able to get through 2017, and that was that. Done after 10 seasons!
Old 12-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
It's not going nearly as quickly as I would have thought for me. In order to keep the team together as long as possible. I'm micromanaging playing time and injuries like I never have before.
This is a challenge for me. I have already destroyed three players because I had to position switch them to stay legal and then when I switched them back to their original position they were even deader.

Then there was that year long suspension for that fucking drug abusing WR.

Anyway - three seasons in and we have one OROY and one first WR to show for it. And no playoffs.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM   #32
Subby
lolzcat

Also - juggling playing time for the livid and demanding trade guys is a good challenge because that means your best guys aren't starting.

One nice thing is you have so much cap room you can really finance the long term deals to make the renegs a little easier to deal with...

Old 12-26-2007, 09:18 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In the end, it would be amazing if someone could make a master spreadsheet of players, who actually drafted them, and when they were drafted. Might be too hard to do though, dunno.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 PM   #34
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
I was able to get through 2017, and that was that. Done after 10 seasons!

Same thing happened to me too!
Old 12-27-2007, 09:27 AM   #35
Ben E Lou

Just finished Year 6, and had my first retirement, one that was probably avoidable if I'd been paying more attention. Fortunately it was at a position group where I can afford to take a hit for now.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:00 AM   #36
Celeval
Pro Starter

Just finished the draft and training camp. Preseason later today.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #37
Ben E Lou

I got hammered with seven retirements heading into year 10. I started preseason with 45 players, so there was a slim chance, but I eventually got two guys Out at the same time, and that was that. 43 available players. It was a good run.

Looks like Shorty, Jets and I are finished. Let's not give anything away, but I'll give the three of us access to one another's dynasty posts now, but keep all talk among just those who are done.
Old 12-27-2007, 04:20 PM   #38
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I got hammered with seven retirements heading into year 10. I started preseason with 45 players, so there was a slim chance, but I eventually got two guys Out at the same time, and that was that. 43 available players. It was a good run.

Looks like Shorty, Jets and I are finished. Let's not give anything away, but I'll give the three of us access to one another's dynasty posts now, but keep all talk among just those who are done.
Silly me for thinking the game documentation was correct. It turns out that I'm not done--yet. Re-posting from the FOF2K7 forum....

So, I just learned of some incorrect documentation in FOF. I assumed I was done when I got down to only 43 active players. However, I simmed a game under these conditions:

Old 12-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #39
Ben E Lou

Well, it didn't last long. I got to play 11 more games and now I'm truly done.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:19 PM   #40
Subby
lolzcat

I can see arizing's challenge thread, just fyi...

My RB just dumped out ten points from his high of 69/69 - we are about to start season 8 and no retirements yet - but I assume they are just around the corner. Will be done tonight, I would think.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:25 PM   #41
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
I can see arizing's challenge thread, just fyi..

[Markus]Fixed! [/Markus]
Old 12-27-2007, 06:01 PM   #42
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Question: I had a guy who gave me the dreaded "refuse to sign" message when I tried to sign him in FA. He sucks and nobody tried to sign him. Now it is preseason and I offered him again just to see what would happen and he's willing to sign with me. I haven't signed him yet, but I just wanted to make sure this fit in with the spirit of the rules?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #43
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Question: I had a guy who gave me the dreaded "refuse to sign" message when I tried to sign him in FA. He sucks and nobody tried to sign him. Now it is preseason and I offered him again just to see what would happen and he's willing to sign with me. I haven't signed him yet, but I just wanted to make sure this fit in with the spirit of the rules?

I'd say it's better to sign him and continue than to have to abandon the career.

It would be ideal to stay out of this situation though -- managing player attitudes is theoretically part of the challenge to keeping the roster completely intact.
Old 12-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #44
QuikSand
lolzcat

I, too, am done. Carried 39 guys into 2019, but that wasn't enough to allow me to go on, even after all the murderous position switches I had to uncover to make each position group legal.

I do plan to try this again with some different rules (but no draft - URFAs only), so I'm holding off on looking at anyone else's results.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:43 PM   #45
Subby
lolzcat

Ten seasons for us, too. I completely ignored defense so I may try it the other way next time. Was also thinking of converting all 21 picks into as many first rounders as possible and ONLY using firsts or URFA and seeing if we could be good with just the "key" FOF positions.

One thing someone said earlier that I will have to disagree with - this draft class is anything *but* sucky. My top 4 picks would probably all have gone top 10 in a competitive MP league and I got 3 of them at 1.22, 1.28 and 1.30.

Last edited by Subby : 12-27-2007 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:33 AM   #46
korme
Go Reds

Yeah, the draft class was very solid. I missed on some great players and still had a guy in 90's, and 4-to-5 in the 60s and 70s
Old 12-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #47
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I, too, am done. Carried 39 guys into 2019, but that wasn't enough to allow me to go on, even after all the murderous position switches I had to uncover to make each position group legal.

I do plan to try this again with some different rules (but no draft - URFAs only), so I'm holding off on looking at anyone else's results.

Those of you who are done, I'm opening up Quik's thread to *your* view, but please keep in mind that he intends to use the same player pool, so please don't discuss any undrafted players in his view.
Old 12-28-2007, 07:38 AM   #48
QuikSand
lolzcat

No big deal if someones slips up... of the few URFA who really "worked out" for my in my own career, I think it's very likely that I'd have ended up with them anyway, so under IMT rules I just don't think I will find myself too corrupted by previous experience.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:58 PM   #49
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm done. Is it okay if we talk about our final score in this thread? That wouldn't give anything away.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:30 AM   #50
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

1-15
1-15
4-12
so far...

After I can't field a valid team, I'm going to restart and draft a "best possible team" by using my knowledge of who booms to see how good I can do best case scenario.
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote