Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports > "One And Done" Challenge
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Tasan
College Starter

Draft Thoughts

This draft pool is especially shallow. I'd like to try this challenge with a little better pool. With that said, here are the trades I made and the picks I had:

During the draft, I made the following trades:
1-1, 7-16 to SF for 1-3, 2-3, 3-3
4-18 to TEN for 4-12, 7-1

Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

One thing I think I learned from this exercise is that future picks are worth approximately half of the current round's pick. This may help with further development of my pick trade calculator.

I also should admit that I reloaded a few times to get the best deals here, since I was learning about the value of future picks. I hope this doesn't tarnish my game play here.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:03 PM   #3
Tasan
College Starter

Okay, on to some notes made during the draft. Some of them seem a little silly now, seeing how the players turned out, but at the time they seemed kinda big.

Here's how my draft went, by the way:

1-3 LT Bryan Clemons
1-16 QB Kim McGregor
1-17 CB Bo Granados
1-21 RB Bryan McMillian
2-2 WR Jerry Reeves
2-3 DT Horace Hernandez
2-21 G Preston Blake
3-1 C Orlando Patchet
3-3 FS Lee Kinney
3-27 ILB Haslett
4-2 CB Ray Connell
4-12 DT Kenneth Brown
5-1 TE Perry Kop
5-3 ILB Tommy Anhalt
6-2 WR Butch Slusarczyk
6-18 G Vincent Norris
6-29 DE Willie Malcomson

I thought about RB at 1-17 but couldn't pass on the CB there. In hindsight, it was a great decision. At 1-21, all the RBs were still available, I couldn't believe McMillian was there, I didn't even interview him because I expected him to go early.

QB McGregor felt like a huge reach at 1-16, but QBs just kept flying off the board, and I thought I needed one before my second round picks.

G Norris looked like an absolute steal in the 6th round, didn't interview him though.

Totally missed C Patchet in the interview process, and jumped on him when I saw him still there at 3-1. Turned out to be a solid pick there.

I waited and waited on DE Malcomson. I took him with my last pick because I wasn't sure he'd be around through the 7th.

My tradeup was due to nerves. I was watching DT Brown for a while, and got real nervous and traded up a few to get him. I felt I could toss the 7th out, since guys I ususally take there are still around after the draft anyway.

I missed on a couple of guys I wanted because I waited too long. There were SS, DE and OLB specifically that I wiffed on.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Tasan
College Starter

Post draft, there wasn't much around. I found a nice DT, Brody, that was a good pass rusher, and converted him to DE. He's turned out to be a pretty studly pass rusher for me, once I got his weight right.

After late FA, I had 85 players on my roster, waaaaaaaay more than I normally take. I hated my punter and kicker options, and was REAL weak at linebacker and WR.

I converted ILB Haslett to SLB. It was between him and Anhalt, but I like Haslett's blitzing bars better. He converted fairly painlessly, just loosing a little experience. Post camp was OK, I had some creepers and a little loss, but nothing too major.

My pet for this thing has turned out to be CB Claude Childers. His bars were awful, but his combine numbers were nice and he had a high volatility. He has creeped some both current and future at about every stage possible, but he's still pretty crappy. He's the secondary leader, and has some good afinities with guys back there too.

Initially, I was going to make it a rule that I couldn't cut anyone from the roster that either didn't lose any future after camp, or creeped some future. Thats about 10 guys, including my first pick, the OT. In the end though, I had to cut a couple of these real low end guys, but I stuck with CB Childers.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

One guy I noticed on the Green Page is DE Gary Holliday, drafted 7-20. He beats out almost all other DEs in this draft, lets see how he holds up.