Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Saying goodbye to a beloved dog

Tomorrow morning I have to take our beloved Tomo to be euthanized. Friday night she was admitted to the hospital for kidney failure. We took her home this afternoon to say our goodbyes. She just fell asleep. My wife is sleeping on the floor with her and I am crying as I write this. I don't know how I'm going to do it.

Goodbye, my friend. You will be dearly missed.

Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Noooooooooooooo.

My condolences.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-13-2009 at 10:16 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock View Post
Tomorrow morning I have to take our beloved Tomo to be euthanized. Friday night she was admitted to the hospital for kidney failure. We took her home this afternoon to say our goodbyes. She just fell asleep. My wife is sleeping on the floor with her and I am crying as I write this. I don't know how I'm going to do it.

Goodbye, my friend. You will be dearly missed.

Sorry to read you and your wife going through this. I love my dogs, and neither are young. I keep wondering how long I have with them.

As sad as tomorrow will be, remember that you and your wife gave Tomo a home and a good life he would not have had without you, and I would imagine he loves you both with all his heart.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #4
samifan24
Pro Starter

So sorry to hear about your loss. Our pets are a beloved part of our families. My condolences.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I'm sorry to hear this. I still remember when I had to take my first dog in to put her to sleep. I was 20 and she'd been my best friend since I was 5 years old. One of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Good luck. Remember, as hard as it it's going to be for you and your family, you're doing what's best for your dog.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
bbor
Pro Starter

This always make me feel better.......

Rainbow Bridge
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-Author unknown

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #7
law90026
College Benchwarmer

Sorry to hear this
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

My 12.5 year-old Rotty, Annie (the one I'm feeding steak to in the picture Subby posted) is starting to lose her back legs as far as walking and such goes. She stumbles a lot, and we have a ramp for her to get outside. We're dreading the moment she can't walk anymore. I don't how people can take this stuff, but I guess it's better to have their love and the memories, than it is to not have them at all.

I'll be praying for you and your dog.

Last edited by Schmidty : 09-13-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:40 PM   #9
Lorena
Unregistered

Aww... so sorry
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Very sad to see this. As I have said a few times before, the worst thing about owning a pet is that you know that you will almost certainly outlive them. Take your time to grieve, but feel good knowing that you gave a nice home and a lot of love to your pet.

And thanks for your post, bbor. I had never seen that before, but it is a nice read and I hope it is true!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #11
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
My 12.5 year-old Rotty, Annie (the one I'm feeding steak to in the picture) is starting to lose her back legs as far as walking and such goes. She stumbles a lot, and we have a ramp for her to get outside. We're dreading the moment she can't walk anymore. I don't how people can take this stuff, but I guess it's better to have their love and the memories, than it is to not have them at all.

I'll be praying for you and your dog.

Our Greyhound, Boyd, is in exactly the same position. Same age, and same problem. His last physical, the vet said that his kidneys were starting to fail, along with a large tumor around his hip we can only assume is cancer, and not just a fatty tumor. We have had Boyd for 10 years, and he has lived longer than I ever thought. He cries a lot more now, but still manages to jump the three steps up our deck outside.

My wife and I know that he probably won't make Christmas. We have been taking turns petting him, loving him and thanking him. I am going to cry when his time comes. He hasn't been a real loving dog, but he has always been there, sleeping. He has a sweet temperament and kind eyes.

We are just trying to remember that we gave him a good life, and he has been happy with us all these years. I don't know what my other dog is going to do. She will miss him too. It's going to be sad. I am so sorry about your loss. Try and stay positive, and remember all the great that you gave and received.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We learned recently our guy has cancer and only has a short time. I broke down big time the day we found out. So sorry for your loss. They really are family members.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 AM   #13
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Shit, they're better than family members - how often do you get into fights with them? My sister sent me a picture of waking up this morning to finding the dog sleeping on her foot, looking at her; how do you match that kind of affection?

Good luck Castlerock. Nothing more one can say.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 09-14-2009 at 12:17 AM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #14
SackAttack
Head Coach

My parents had to put my dog down in January, and it still hits me hard in unexpected ways. I'll tell you, one thing that has given me great comfort is a recent Dean Koontz book, "A Big Little Life."

It's a memoir of his dog, who I gather passed in 2007, but there was a lot of resonance there for me. Helped me to see and remember some of the good times with my own dog that I hadn't really remembered in the aftermath of losing Max.

It's been almost 8 months, and I still went through plenty of tissue getting through that book, but unlike 8 months ago, it was more remembrance and catharsis than grief.

I don't know if I could have handled that book 8 months ago, so I don't know if I can recommend you read it with any immediacy, but put it on your list somewhere down the road.

And give Tomo a hug for me. Both of the last two dogs I've lost, I didn't get that opportunity to say goodbye. I envy you that much, even as I offer my heartfelt condolences.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 AM   #15
Qrusher14242
High School JV

I'm so sorry to hear you have to go through this.

Its been over a year since i had to put my dog Peppy down. He was sick, but he could still move around a little, but he had gone blind and deaf. It still hits me sometimes, if i see a picture of him. Or if i see another Yorkie. But i just know hes in a better place. I havent got another dog yet, mostly cause i've been sick a lot this year, but i think i will get one soon from a shelter.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:28 AM   #16
RainMaker
General Manager

Truly sorry. I've been there before and know how devestating it is. No words can ease the pain, but just remember the great moments you had and feel blessed that you had her in your life.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I get teary eyed everytime I read one of these.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #17
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Crap, I hate hearing things like this so much.

Sorry Castle, and sorry Lathum. And anyone else who ever has to go through something like this.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

Sorry to you as well, PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #19
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Sorry for your losses, guys. My pug, Snuggles, is with my ex-wife and having a few issues herself. It's difficult for me since I don't see her much at all. I miss my little SnuggleGirl.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:58 AM   #20
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Sad news.. RIP good friend...
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #22
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Sorry to hear this.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #23
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM   #24
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Tomo: August 8, 1996 - September 14, 2009
Old 09-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #25
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I am sorry for your loss.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:05 PM   #26
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

awwww

*tears up*

my lil guy is 8 already. i dunno what i'm going to do in 5-6 years. seems like it'll be here so soon.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 09-14-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #27
boberot
High School Varsity

Beautiful dog, man. Beautiful.

I cherish the memories I have of Sheba, the dog I grew up with.

That's all I can offer right now -- once the grief and pain subside, you will have those amazing memories and stories to share.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Rest in peace, Tomo.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
JediKooter
Coordinator

Sorry to hear about Tomo Castlerock. Not an easy thing to go through for sure.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:44 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

I kept avoiding this thread because I knew it would tear me up, but as much as I love my Dogs I had to send my condolences. Tomo is beautiful and I can't imagine what you are going through right now. Hopefully the pain will be eased somewhat knowing you gave Tomo a wonderful life and by remembering the joy she brought to you.

Dogs are truly amazing Animals that are so full of unconditional love for their families. I am very sorry for your loss Castlerock.

RIP Tomo
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #31
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Old 09-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #32
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Hope Tomo and my dog Bailey are able to play in doggie heaven...

Sorry Castlerock for your loss - RIP Tomo

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 09-15-2009 at 06:46 AM.
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:57 PM   #33
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
Sorry for your losses, guys. My pug, Snuggles, is with my ex-wife and having a few issues herself. It's difficult for me since I don't see her much at all. I miss my little SnuggleGirl.
I received a call tonight that Snuggles has a tumor that is 75% likely to be cancerous and likely inoperable.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #34
Flasch186
Coordinator

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

nooo...not Snuggles!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

Gah, this takes me back to high scholl when my cat developed cancer in his kidney's. Poor thing was in constant pain and I had to have him put down. =(

I'm so glad our current pets are all fairly young and in excellent health.

Sorry for your losses guys =(
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:31 PM   #37
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I avoided this thread because I knew it'd make me cry....alas, I was right.

Losing a pet sucks. There is no other way to put it. RIP, Tomo, and I'm really sorry to hear about Snuggles, AE.

Off to go hug the Oz-man...until I remember that he prefers to be the one that initiates cuteness.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #38
Edward64
Head Coach

We put our dalmation to sleep last December. Cremated her and planted a small plum tree with her ashes and doggie collar. Tree is doing great.

The tree helped us with our loss.

Last edited by Edward64 : 10-19-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:29 PM   #39
path12
Coordinator

Missed this thread the first time around. Condolences to all who have/are losing their pets. I gave my dog an extra hug this morning.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Condolences to all who have/are losing their pets. I gave my dog an extra hug this morning.

me too. i snuggled mine ferociously last night.
Old 10-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #41
gkb
High School Varsity

Losing a pet just sucks. I'm sorry that you had to let Tomo go.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #42
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Confirmed this morning. Snuggles does have cancer.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #43
path12
Coordinator

Sorry to hear that, Poli.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Confirmed this morning. Snuggles does have cancer.

Sorry to hear that buddy..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:10 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry Poli. I'm going through that with my guy also and it sucks.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #46
Poli
FOFC Survivor

The hard part for me is not being able to spend the time with her that I would like.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:59 AM   #47
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Thank you, baby, for being so strong and giving us three more months. I love you, my sweet, sweet, Snuggles.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #48
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Thank you, baby, for being so strong and giving us three more months. I love you, my sweet, sweet, Snuggles.

So sorry Rodney, hopefully you were able to get soe quality time during this time.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:37 AM   #49
Castlerock
High School Varsity

So sorry, Poli.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:40 AM   #50
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sorry Rodney , been way to many of these threads lately.