Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How soon will you take the vaccine?
Day 1 that it's available for me 25 42.37%
First month 13 22.03%
Second month 7 11.86%
Third month or later 12 20.34%
I'm a trout anti-vaxxer 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2021, 12:57 PM   #401
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah the Rogan thing hit my Facebook hard this morning. Had a close friend posting that as anyone can get the vaccine now, young people shouldn’t need to as if they pass it on to somebody at risk they are accepting the chance of death and should have been vaccinated already. Which seems like an incredibly circular argument but shurg.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #402
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I just ran across a post from our local health department offering free vaccines today from 1-3 no appointment necessary and sheesh, the comments are ridiculous. I need to stop reading the comments...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #403
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If you really want to lose no faith in humanity (because it's impossible to still have any) listen to this week's This American Life.

An argument by a Trump supporting anti-vaxxer is that Democrats rely on emotion to convince you instead of facts like Republicans. So of course, by the end of the segment he's somewhat persuaded after hearing Chris Christie give a sob story about his bout with COVID, while ignoring the scientists for having an agenda.

Last edited by Ghost Econ : 04-28-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:06 PM   #404
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
If you really want to lose no faith in humanity (because it's impossible to still have any) listen to this week's This American Life.

An argument by a Trump supporting anti-vaxxer is that Democrats rely on emotion to convince you instead of facts like Republicans. So of course, by the end of the segment he's somewhat persuaded after hearing Chris Christie give a sob story about his bout with COVID, while ignoring the scientists for having an agenda.

Sounds like a Rush Limbaugh listener (who liked to repeat that myth).

Your story reminds me of an interview with Newt Gingrich, who said that the public's feeling is more important than data.

Newt Gingrich Exemplifies Just How Unscientific America Is
Old 04-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #405
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
When he got the big contract recently Rogan packed up shop in California and moved his show to a personal compound in Texas, and I expect his views to get worse with more time and further isolation inside a Scrooge McDuck vault powered by his own farts.

Wonder if he is going to try and fill the void left from Rush dying. Lots of money to be made in that space.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:55 PM   #406
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Wonder if he is going to try and fill the void left from Rush dying. Lots of money to be made in that space.

Yeah, moving to Texas seems like it means guests have to specifically come out there to do the show (as opposed to catching the run-off of interesting people in L.A.), fermenting confirmation bias, and it seems like he is being positioned as a bit of both bogeyman & victim, to the point that the path to right-wing mouthpiece seems obvious & practically unavoidable.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-28-2021 at 03:56 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 03:58 PM   #407
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

One of my wife's docs is currently hospitalized with COVID. He's early 40s, fit, and fully vaccinated since day 1 of shots being offered here.

What morons like Rogan don't understand is that there are both breakthrough cases and that eventually immunity will wear off, so if the dolts keep passing it around my chances of getting it eventually goes up through either time or bad luck.
Ghost Econ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:06 PM   #408
thesloppy
Pro Starter

dola, I am kind of torn on Joe Rogan. I feel like we shouldn't discourage people from being curious or asking hard questions, especially in the case of folks who typically look like Rogan. That said, those same ignorant-but-curious folks obviously shouldn't also be the ones most responsible for controlling or circulating those answers.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #409
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
dola, I am kind of torn on Joe Rogan. I feel like we shouldn't discourage people from being curious or asking hard questions, especially in the case of folks who typically look like Rogan. That said, those same ignorant-but-curious folks obviously shouldn't also be the ones most responsible for controlling or circulating those answers.

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:58 PM   #410
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Sounds like a Rush Limbaugh listener (who liked to repeat that myth).

Your story reminds me of an interview with Newt Gingrich, who said that the public's feeling is more important than data.

Newt Gingrich Exemplifies Just How Unscientific America Is

The argument for all of the voting laws is that people are questioning if voting is secure, not that they've actually proven anything is unsecure. It's like a theory or some sort of logic/common sense argument that has yet to bear itself out in reality, so it's just "but my constituents are asking these questions, so this is a valid path to go down."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-28-2021, 05:11 PM   #411
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Well that's a very interesting political theory question actually. In our primarily democratic, 'One Person One Vote' system it is not data which has the power, it is people. A data-driven or science-driven approach to public policy would be a much different one, and one in which the people's vote would not at all be paramount. It might not even be particularly relevant.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:17 PM   #412
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Well that's a very interesting political theory question actually. In our primarily democratic, 'One Person One Vote' system it is not data which has the power, it is people. A data-driven or science-driven approach to public policy would be a much different one, and one in which the people's vote would not at all be paramount. It might not even be particularly relevant.

I have no idea what any of this mean.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 05:25 PM   #413
molson
General Manager

Rogan seems like the kind of friendly doofus who will be all into vaccines if he has a different friend in next week that tells him that they're cool. And then if that same friend has a theory about Bigfoot molesting us in our sleep, he'll be all into that for a week or two.

Of course, I didn't think Trump was serious about any of this politics stuff either.

That can only mean.......

Rogan in 2024!!!
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #414
Edward64
Head Coach

I do like his apology, a full mea culpa.

Quote:
Joe Rogan backpedaled Thursday on his claim that healthy young Americans don’t need to get vaccinated against COVID-19 — insisting he’s “not an anti-vaxx person.”

On his popular podcast “Joe Rogan Experience,” the 53-year-old comedian downplayed his own credibility after his comments sparked outrage on social media and a response from Dr. Anthony Fauci.

I’m not a doctor, I’m a f-cking moron,” Rogan said. “I’m not a respected source of information, even for me … But I at least try to be honest about what I’m saying.”
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:14 AM   #415
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I do like his apology, a full mea culpa.

This is like someone going on a long campaign suggesting that Joe Rogan is a child molester, presenting all sorts of possible victims and possible confirmations, then after 48 hrs of being in the news cycle, then saying "I’m not a respected source of information."
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:47 AM   #416
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Rogan seems like the kind of friendly doofus who will be all into vaccines if he has a different friend in next week that tells him that they're cool. And then if that same friend has a theory about Bigfoot molesting us in our sleep, he'll be all into that for a week or two.

Of course, I didn't think Trump was serious about any of this politics stuff either.

Rogan in 2024!!!

Joe Rogan has never been summed up in a more perfect fashion, and I enjoy his show, but this is spot on. He is basically human Tofu, who just soaks up whatever flavor is around him.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #417
BYU 14
Coordinator

So after getting my second Tuesday night, was fine until Wednesday evening, then got chills, didn't sleep well, woke up with a headache yesterday and felt sluggish until about noon, then all good.
Old 04-30-2021, 10:25 AM   #418
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

Rogan in 2024!!!

I always figured he was like Jim Rome but for way too many other aspects of life. Like you're allowed at 20 to go through a Jim Rome phase because many of us make stupid mistakes of listening to douche bags when we're all young, naive, and a bit that way ourselves. But if you're still 45 and listening to Jim Rome, well, that's kindof more on you than on him.

*There's a number of names you could put in there - I just picked Rome since he was my personal poison

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #419
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
By the way, like every gloomy prediction I have made throughout all this, I am actively hoping to be proven wrong. I hope that whatever we are able to do as a society is "good enough" and that we really get this under control.

At the moment, really just thinking about the US, as the worldwide situation is its own conundrum beyond my framing capacity.

Man, I'm really tired of using the words "I really want to be wrong" - I've used them way too many times throughout this whole crisis (and, frankly, over the last 4 or 5 years). Like I don't want my cynicism rewarded - I want to believe we're better as people - but, holy crap, we keep wanting to show just how bad we are as a society.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-30-2021 at 10:27 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #420
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Current estimation is I'll have to wait 10 more weeks until I get my invitation for vaccination. Despite working in the health care, not being in the primary field of work, I have to wait in line with everybody else. The plus side of having turned 40 in the first half of 2021 does mean I get about 2 weeks priority over everybody aged 18-39. So, yay?
Today was the day... to be allowed to plan my vaccinations: June 10th the first one, second shot July 16th. That 10 week estimation was almost spot on.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #421
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Glad you are getting one, MIJB
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:50 PM   #422
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 06-15-2021, 01:01 PM   #423
Ksyrup

So my daughter got her second shot on Saturday and thing are not going well. No sleep for the past 2 days, achy and fever, feels terrible, etc. Now, she's breaking out in rashes. She had double leg surgery about a month ago and had an infection, so they gave her an antibiotic that may be causing issues/clashing with the vaccine. Fun times. She had Covid back in November, so that may be why it's worse for her right now.
Old 06-15-2021, 02:12 PM   #424
Kodos
Resident Alien

Man, sorry she's having a bad experience with it.
Old 06-23-2021, 07:50 AM   #425
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

For anyone out there who is still on the fence about this, spend a little time reading about the Delta variant. If you have not gotten your shots and you have the power to do so and you’re willing to be open minded about the question, that’s information you need to have.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #426
molson
General Manager

Idaho announced that state employees who get vaccinated get an extra 4 hours of paid vacation time. That's a pretty nice incentive relative to some others I've heard about.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #427
PilotMan
Head Coach

KY has 42% completely vaccinated, but at the Kroger it's 100%.

Like Steam?

Old 06-23-2021, 11:19 AM   #428
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
For anyone out there who is still on the fence about this, spend a little time reading about the Delta variant. If you have not gotten your shots and you have the power to do so and you’re willing to be open minded about the question, that’s information you need to have.

I heard an interview today with Sanjay Gupta who said with the delta variant there will be 2 groups. Vaccinated and infected.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 02:16 PM   #429
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I heard an interview today with Sanjay Gupta who said with the delta variant there will be 2 groups. Vaccinated and infected.

Already the case, although for the US data is spotty. But just see the case load difference by age group in the UK, who have excellent data tracking. While there was always more cases in younger people (just sociology 101 stuff), difference was more like x2 or 3 between most and least effected. Now it's by a factor of 30 as UK went pretty stringently from one age group to the next starting with the oldest.
Right now the per capita numbers (the per 7 days per 100k stuff) in 60+ are at like 10-20, for 20-35 year olds its closer to 400. And that number was around 30 only a month ago. Despite some vaccination and it being summertime (and not the Arizona type where people stay inside because of heat). 60+ in Britain are 95% fully vaccinated but even the 20-35 about 20% and a further 25% with antibodies from past Infection (they regularly test thousands as a population sample). So 45% immunity and full summer and still cases increased 10 fold in a month.

And Moscow also is a delta hotspot and is struggling with deaths and hospitalisations, because there even many older folks aren't vaccinated (for the whole population only about 15% with the first dose)

I can understand people not seeing the medical benefit (even as i strongly disagree), but there are also many doing the "yeah well, who is to say i get it, it's not spreading anymore anyway and will fizzle out" routine ...
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:45 PM   #430
PilotMan
Head Coach

So many people have said "I think I had it early last year before anyone knew about it. It was back in {sometime from Oct 2019 to spring 2020} and I had this nasty cold and fever. I bet that's what it was. So I'm not in a hurry."

Some of these people just need to move along. Of course, if/when they all get sicker in this next go around, I hope we can all move forward for the sake of the economy after all.

Like Steam?

Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 AM   #431
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I had the first Moderna jab on Thursday evening. Other than a sore arm for a couple of days, no problems at all

Second Moderna jab yesterday evening - similar to others, fine other than the sore arm again until mid morning, then gradually getting mild headache, needing to put more clothing on, feeling slightly out of it…
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #432
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Second Moderna jab yesterday evening - similar to others, fine other than the sore arm again until mid morning, then gradually getting mild headache, needing to put more clothing on, feeling slightly out of it…

Mine experience pretty much mirrors yours and as we get further into this I am glad I got the Moderna shot. Though all 3 seem to be very effective, definitely less on the 'adverse issue' side with Moderna as time goes by.