Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

What the hell are you listening to... 2018 Edition

We haven't had one of these in a couple years. Guess we need a new one.

Been back and forth between a classics kick (Pink Floyd, Queen, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, etc...) and European rock groups.

Within Temptation

Nightwish

Ghost

Beast in Black

Unleash the Archers (Canadian)

Amaranthe (my guilty pleasure... because Elize Ryd...)

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 PM   #2
Groundhog
Coordinator

As per usual, not a lot new. I keep finding new gems from the 70s/80s available on Spotify which is great, stuff I always wanted on CD like a 10-15 years ago but didn't want to pay for the expensive Japanese releases. I've also had a bit of nostalgia for stuff I listened to in the late 90s/early 00s, and listened to System of a Down's "Steal this Album" while walking around at lunch today for probably the first time since a year or so after it was released.

Newest thing I've probably been listening to is the 2016 album from Universal Totem Orchestra, which is delightfully odd.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:29 PM   #3
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I enjoy Nightwish when I'm in the mood. Hearkening back to last year's thread, I have been binge-ing the hell out of Greta Van Fleet. Just love their stuff.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:57 AM   #4
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Recently I've been listening to some Billy Stewart, which I like a lot:

'70s Zambian Psyche outfit WITCH are incredible:

and the closest thing I've got to new is probably '33' from Cleveland's slightly-ridiculous-but-totally-earnest satanic 'metal' outfit Ancient VVisdom:

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:17 AM   #5
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
and the closest thing I've got to new is probably '33' from Cleveland's slightly-ridiculous-but-totally-earnest satanic 'metal' outfit Ancient VVisdom:

Reminds me of Metallica circa-Master of Puppets, played in half speed.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not {bleepin} much lately.

On the ol' 1-10 scale, if 5 is "tolerable as background noise but not worth turning up" then anything above a 6 or the occasional 7 has been in critically short supply for several months now.

The Fozzy full album was ridiculously good, but that's among few highlights I've come across. (even better than okay singles have been hard to find lately)
Old 01-17-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've gotten into Uncle Lucius, Hiss Golden Messenger, and Trampled by Turtles.

Also going back to college listening and TMBG.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #8
korme
Go Reds

Decemberists are releasing a new album March 16.

Released a teaser for their track 'Severed' which includes a... synthesizer? Not what one would expect from The Decemberists.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:27 PM   #9
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Reminds me of Metallica circa-Master of Puppets, played in half speed.

After you mention it, I can totally hear it. They got a lot of comparisons to Alice in Chains with their first record, which had a lot more acoustic guitar work:

A good portion of my enjoyment of these fellows comes from how absurdly committed they are to their brand of campfire Satanism. Obviously they don't find it anywhere near funny, but I can't help but snert. I saw them open for Ghost like 5 years ago in a little 500-person theater, and they spent at least 15 minutes placing animal skulls around the stage, and then sat on stools with their acoustics and corpse paint while the lead singer shook a massive rusted chain for percussion....it was genuinely both awesome and hilarious.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-17-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Good a place as any to mention this I guess, so ... gotta give some props to 10 Years after seeing them last night.

While the middle of the set drags considerably IMO, they were excellent in terms of muscianship & especially vocally on the first show of their current tour. I don't mean in a "hey, that's good" sense, I'm talking more like "I'm conscious that I'm seeing these guys are what is likely their absolute peak as performers" sense.

If you like 'em & get a chance on this run, I'd definitely recommend seeing them.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

"New" in the last few months that I just picked up, the latest EP from The Dear Hunter. Incredible band.

Completely ridiculous and awesome, I was excited to see that Diablo Swing Orchestra had recorded a new album with a new lineup. Gone is the opera singer and in her place, a completely different style. At first, I didn't like her Betty Boop style at all, and then about 3 listens to the album and I love it.

The other thing I'll say about this band is their name almost perfectly represents their sound.

Godsticks new album came out in October, I think.

Moebius - a new band for me. I really love this album. Like a cross between Meshuggah and old Prong (kinda stripped down Beg to Differ style).

Thumpermonkey, new EP came out in October as well. Not exactly sure how to describe this band, but this is a cool song.

Finally, a name from the past - Gary Numan (you know, 80s new wave hit Cars). Admittedly, I have never listened to the guy outside of that song, but this album was $5 so I downloaded it and was really surprised how dark and awesome it was. This song kicks ass.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Finally, a name from the past - Gary Numan (you know, 80s new wave hit Cars). Admittedly, I have never listened to the guy outside of that song, but this album was $5 so I downloaded it and was really surprised how dark and awesome it was. This song kicks ass.

For whatever it's worth, some of that classic cars-era Gary Numan/Tubeway Army is fucking awesome (and dark). Replicas, The Pleasure Principle and Telekon in particular. Unfortunately, through the '80s and '90s he also made like 20 horrible albums and then became the Quentin Tarantino to Trent Reznor's Eli Roth, where they both 'inspired' each other into making soundalike crap that was below both of their previous standards.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-17-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Thumpermonkey, new EP came out in October as well. Not exactly sure how to describe this band, but this is a cool song.

It's mostly the singer, but I get a real QotSA vibe from that track. Going to check these guys out.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well damn

Oklahoma-based rockers Kirra just announced the death of their vocalist in a car crash yesterday in Ohio.

This comes on the heels of two successful singles (My Disease and Downfall) and just ahead of what should have been the next step in their growth, an opening slot on the Nothing More tour.

Just damn
Old 01-23-2018, 08:07 PM   #15
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 01-28-2018, 08:59 PM   #16
korme
Go Reds

My two favorite albums of 2017 won at the Grammys, best rock album for THE WAR ON DRUGS and best alt music album for THE NATIONAL. I dig it.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:40 PM   #17
AlexB
Pro Starter

Got good reviews, liked the previews i heard, so gave it a go. The name intrigued me too!

The album is called Interiors - it's not what i'd call immediate, but ultimately rewarding. It reminds me of something, Mudhoney perhaps?

Last edited by AlexB : 02-13-2018 at 03:42 PM.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
The name intrigued me too!

hmmmmmmm
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

Got good reviews, liked the previews i heard, so gave it a go. The name intrigued me too!

The album is called Interiors - it's not what i'd call immediate, but ultimately rewarding. It reminds me of something, Mudhoney perhaps?

I was going to comment on this thread and talk about the only thing I'm listening to a lot (besides Korean rap & R&B) is this Quicksand record. The band composition is the same lead singer as the band Rival Schools which hasn't put a record out in years, but if you like Rival Schools, Quicksand's new record is bit harder and quite good.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:12 AM   #21
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Guess I have to add:

See, now you're just TRYING to set me off.

(I'll throw in a there but talk about "triggers" hoo boy )
Old 03-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #23
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The new stuff Jack White has in the offing sounds like revolutionary music. It's been a long time since I heard something as fresh as what his new album sounds like. He's got rock, blues, hip hop, jazz, soul, gospel and electronic music all swirling around in the same punch bowl and I can't wait to get my ears drunk on it.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-04-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:19 AM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Another one for Jon...

Happily, I'm so accustomed to ignoring this particular abomination that it's just second nature at this point, like breathing pretty much
Old 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM   #26
bob
College Starter

Without really thinking about it, I find myself holding tickets to the following shows: Foo Fighters, Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Smashing Pumpkins. The summer of 1995 is gonna be awesome!
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:02 AM   #27
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm digging STP's new singer, FWIW.

FUCK EA
Old 03-09-2018, 05:26 PM   #28
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Happily, I'm so accustomed to ignoring this particular abomination that it's just second nature at this point, like breathing pretty much

abomination? it's not like we're talking nickleback...
Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
abomination? it's not like we're talking nickleback...

True. Nickelback has at least some credibility, and has occasionally managed to be not cringeworthy.

Those scam artists however, nope.

The only thing that prevents me from wishing seriously bad shit on them is that I'm not entirely sure if they understand how evil they are or if they're simply pawns.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:05 PM   #30
Ksyrup

Went on a shopping spree just a little while ago. Got the new Judas Priest, Of Mice and Men, and Between the Buried and Me, which I assume don't need any introduction.

Also got the new Oceans of Slumber - absolutely loved the first album, so I'm stoked for this one:

Sparks - this band has been around for ever, one of those avant-garde bands from the 70s with 2 brothers essentially play Penn and Teller roles. Just weird, wacky, funny stuff, but catchy:

Chris Price - some good singer/songwriter power pop stuff I love:

Submotion Orchestra - this is a pretty interesting band. Unbelieveable vocals, minimalist indie electro-jazz stylings...

Late Cambrian - electro-dance pop, but really well done with great arrangements:

Also pre-ordered the new Rivers of Nihil. This is one of those bands that transcends standard metal, kinda like Opeth did (once upon a time). Love the progressive elements. The sax solo is awesome.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-11-2018, 10:08 AM   #31
sabotai
General Manager

TOOL's Facebook page reported that they're in the studio recording their next album now.

Quote:
Who’s ready for some major breaking news? Brace yourself; get ready… okay, here we go. We are very excited to announce what is sure to be welcome news for both fans of TOOL and prog-metal enthusiasts in general. After all the years of writing and arranging (and re-arranging) at the band’s loft, I can at this time officially report that the guys have moved into a major studio where the recording process for the next album is about to begin in earnest. For the past few days the band members have been getting sonically adjusted to their new surroundings - dialing in the equipment settings and restaurant catering choices - in preparation for Danny to begin his tracking any time now – perhaps by the time that you read this!

I am also excited to announce that ‘evil’ JOE BARRESI will once again have his capable fingers at the engineering controls for what will certainly be another masterful TOOL offering by the talented team. Pinch yourself if you want, but I have been told that all systems are GO at this point for the upcoming sessions.

I will be posting periodic bits and pieces on the progress of the tracking once the guys get deeper into the recording process, and hope that all of you will keep checking back to the official website for these updates. In the meantime, be sure to also visit the individual band members’ sites and socials (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc.) for more inside glimpses as TOOL prepares for the next stage in their musical odyssey.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:19 PM   #32
Groundhog
Coordinator

I'm cautiously optimistic about the new TOOL album. IMO 10,000 Days had some good moments but it felt a bit like they were stuck in a rut, Jones' guitar work in particular. He's such a big part of their sound, but for a lot of Lateralus and 10,000 Days it all felt very, very familiar. Still got the best rhythm section in metal though, and MJK is a top 10 vocalist for me.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:48 AM   #33
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Saw two of my live favorites tonight. Otherwise, with Wayland in support.

Fuckamighty, for as much as I've enjoyed them over the past several years on record, both bands are just a whole 'nother level live.

Wayland is actually stronger live now than when I first saw them something like 4 years ago, and I was over the moon raving about them then.

And Otherwise, well, I believe that was our 4th time seeing them, just not possible for them to not be compelling on stage. Even with a 15 song headlining set, their catalog has reached the point of not having room to do everything that deserves to be done.

Just a helluva pair, I cannot recommend catching either of them highly enough if you're a fan of rock n' roll.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:43 PM   #34
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

The new Judas Priest is a big fuck you to any band that wants to call themselves metal. These dudes are pushing 70 and just put out an album that jams harder than anything the kids can dream up. I'm blown away and I have never really been a fan. Metallica wishes they had the balls Halford and gang are still displaying proudly.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-23-2018 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 01:20 PM   #35
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post

This shit blows my mind. I hope there's a full length in the offing.

FUCK EA
Old 03-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Metallica wishes they had the balls Halford and gang are still displaying proudly.

Don't get carried away.

I mean, Halford is a f'n freak of nature vocally. (Great interview somewhere with producer Andy Sneap about what a pleasure he was to work with in the studio & how he proved that Halford is still capable of doing the same things vocally he did decades ago).

That said however, Metallica's last album was a fine effort in its own right, nothing there to throw rocks at. Only one album released in 2016 came all that close to it in terms of quality (Stuck Mojo "Here Come The Infidels") & nothing touched it in terms of depth.
Old 03-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #37
AlexB
Pro Starter

Never really been a fan of Priest, always thought they are a bit of a pastiche, and never liked Rob Halford’s voice

What I will say is Halford’s voice is amazing for a 60-something, but the songs are still the same formulaic metal-by-numbers I’ve always associated with the band. Great for 60-70 year-olds, but that doesn’t mean it’s actually good.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #38
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Don't get carried away.

I mean, Halford is a f'n freak of nature vocally. (Great interview somewhere with producer Andy Sneap about what a pleasure he was to work with in the studio & how he proved that Halford is still capable of doing the same things vocally he did decades ago).

That said however, Metallica's last album was a fine effort in its own right, nothing there to throw rocks at. Only one album released in 2016 came all that close to it in terms of quality (Stuck Mojo "Here Come The Infidels") & nothing touched it in terms of depth.

I'm with you on the recent Metallica offering and it is nice to see them regain their form to a degree. I was more speaking to their career arc just prior to it. While I don't think their recent stuff was quite as much a return to form as it is an example of how lacking the genre is when it comes to the classic thrash metal sound, they did do pretty damn good and seem to have recovered from their misguided attempts at being something they were not.

I think this Priest album is classically them to a T but it feels so fresh simply because it is so well executed. That and Metallica's recent effort are only a couple examples that have really cemented the idea for me that execution and consistency are more important to good albums than innovation and experimentation. Not many bands can shape shift successfully. I'm so starved for good music in the genre that I kind of became a Judas Priest fan off this effort.

I think of Ghost in a similar way. They weren't doing anything groundbreaking musically or vocally with Meliora, but they just wrote a bunch of consistently good Blue Oyster Cult type songs with a dark theme and that's what made the album stand out.

Conversely, the recent Queens of the Stone Age album is an example of a misstep to me. It is an album I want to like, and I think the songs on it have more potential than the production allowed them to achieve, but they really fucked up the quality by working with a pop producer in my opinion.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 03-23-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #39
Ksyrup

Priest is my all-time favorite metal band. Love the new album, haven't listened to any of their new stuff since the Janes Addiction ripoff song from a few years back It got me revisiting a bunch of the old stuff (mid-70s through Defenders) and reliving the greatness.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #40
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Part of a bucket list item. Nightwish in concert. Now I just need to see them at one of their large European concerts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29250217_10160315939340601_7334258966953721856_n.jpg (34.7 KB, 76 views)
Old 04-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #41
larrymcg421
Head Coach

In addition to my music dynasty, I've been listening to the new Buffalo Tom album. I've been a big fan of them since the mid-90s and this is one of my favorite albums they've done. Here's my favorite track from it...

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

A buddy suggested a way to find new music was to go on Spotify, select an artist you like who is not massively popular, click related artists and listen to the 11th artist from that list. I did that (I can't even remember which initial band I started from) and found a band that weirdly grabbed me immediately called Giant Squid. Not what I would normally listen to and the vocals can be a bit rough at times, but this was the first truck I spun (randomly off the album with the artwork I liked the most) which hooked me in. Of course, turns out they broke up 4 years ago, but I like just about everything they've got on Spotify:

Old 04-18-2018, 06:20 PM   #43
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
A buddy suggested a way to find new music was to go on Spotify, select an artist you like who is not massively popular, click related artists and listen to the 11th artist from that list.

I will say -- cause this came to my attention earlier today -- that it seems like some of the Spotify "recommendations" have gotten better than they used to be.

I'm probably in the upper, I dunno, upper 5%* of time spent honing my awareness of my favored music styles. I'm not easy to catch unaware of hardly anything that has even a chance to interest me, you have to work at it. Work hard even. But I'll admit that one of the Spotify recommended playlists (I think it's called "new releases for you" or something like that) did indeed alert me to something I'd missed for 2-3 weeks.

That pretty much NEVER happened with them before, which I'll take as a sign they've sharpened their algorithms recently.

Now they've got about 3,000 songs worth of added-to-playlist data on me going back about five years so your mileage may vary but I'd say that it's at least worth a shot for most users to check those recommendations now & then. They're definitely not terrible, which I couldn't always have said about them.

*(honestly, I suspect that it much smaller than that even, but I'll be humble)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 PM   #44
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

A friend turned me on to the Goat Rodeo Sessions, and I'm completely on board. It's Yo-Yo Ma and three other stringed instrument virtuosos that don't quite make up a quartet (with a special guest singer on one song):

Yo-Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Chris Thile And Stuart Duncan: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert - YouTube

Edit: yowza, large embedded video is large. Spoilered.
Spoiler

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-18-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #45
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm gonna get torn to shreds for this, but I think Cardi B's album is really great.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 11:31 PM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm gonna get torn to shreds for this, but I think Cardi B's album is really great.

2nd time in, oh, probably 4 hours I've heard that name.

I still don't have the foggiest fuck who that is. (I almost said "who she is" but truth be told, I ain't even sure if that'd be right or wrong).

I didn't think I'd have less to do with any Cardi than Cardi-o, but apparently it's at least a two horse race.

(No, I'm not shredding you, I'm just shooting for vaguely funny here)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:02 AM   #47
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post

Melon (aka Anthony Fantano or theneedledrop) gave it a pretty decent review too.. Seems like I find a lot of good albums based off his reviews. Don't really agree with his affinity for "walls of noise" type bands, but when he gives an album a 9 or a 10 I almost always enjoy giving said album a listen. Most of the gripes he has with musical trends fit well with mine.

Wouldn't say I'm a fan of hers or the style of rap she puts out, but she's a better listen than most of the folks who are congregating in the same genre.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-19-2018 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:04 AM   #48
korme
Go Reds

I know this isn't really an alt-rock crowd but here's a sampling of the two bands I've been really enjoying recently.

FUTURE ISLANDS

LORD HURON

Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 AM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
I will say -- cause this came to my attention earlier today -- that it seems like some of the Spotify "recommendations" have gotten better than they used to be.

I'm probably in the upper, I dunno, upper 5%* of time spent honing my awareness of my favored music styles. I'm not easy to catch unaware of hardly anything that has even a chance to interest me, you have to work at it. Work hard even. But I'll admit that one of the Spotify recommended playlists (I think it's called "new releases for you" or something like that) did indeed alert me to something I'd missed for 2-3 weeks.

That pretty much NEVER happened with them before, which I'll take as a sign they've sharpened their algorithms recently.

Now they've got about 3,000 songs worth of added-to-playlist data on me going back about five years so your mileage may vary but I'd say that it's at least worth a shot for most users to check those recommendations now & then. They're definitely not terrible, which I couldn't always have said about them.

*(honestly, I suspect that it much smaller than that even, but I'll be humble)

Agree 100%. The recommendation feature is way improved over the past 6 or so months. I listen to a pretty small number of groups in a diverse number of genres, so it's generally been rubbish for me re: automated suggestions, but I've found some really cool stuff lately by just letting Spotify show me how well they've categorized my tastes at this point.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:29 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize Future Islands had a newish album.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote