Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #201
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade
Freebie 3: Altered Beast?

Yup- pretty fun "beat em up" type scroller with some fun power ups.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #202
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
This begs the question, if it's the second day and the freebies haven't been guessed, should they be allowed open to everyone? Or maybe 24 hours? They don't get you any points but they pad your "games" stat.

So, I've made another executive decision- since there are still people looking to do freebies, I'm going to continue to disallow voting on freebies by GSB people. In a couple of weeks, I'm guessing most people who want to be in the game will be in and then anyone will be able to guess on them to pad their "game" stats. BUT NOT YET.

SI

Old 06-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #203
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Playstation Classics

Today's Theme: Playstation Classics

Philistine games, this is your category. For those of you who missed the "golden era" of the 8 and 16 bit ERA, here are those games from as recent as a couple of years ago. The freebies are again a cakewalk so 4 more people should be able to get in. The others are a mixed bag to see how closely people paid attention during that era and who played which games. Enjoy.

I think I'm going to be settling into a pattern with one week being "system classics" with the next being "theme" weeks. For the PC gamers feeling left out- Monday will be Sid Meyer/Will Wright day so go play one of their games this weekend.

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. Metal Gear Solid (Neuqua)
F2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Airhog)
F3. Resident Evil II (Raven Hawk)
F4. Final Fantasy VII (N/A)
B1. Syphon Filter (NevStar)
B2. PaRappa the Rapper (Calis)
B3. Dance Dance Revolution (MattJones4Heisman)
S1. Silent Hill (Radii)
S2. Parasite Eve (TargetPractice6)
G. Wipeout XL (TazFTW)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:40 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #204
Radii
Head Coach

Silver 2 is Silent Hill
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM   #205
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

You know... I've played games all my life, I know none of these... I guess using consoles for only sports games and PCs (or C-64) for everything else is killing me right now...

-Chas
Chas in Cinti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #206
Calis
College Starter

Bronze 2- PaRappa the Rapper
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 12:51 PM   #207
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
You know... I've played games all my life, I know none of these... I guess using consoles for only sports games and PCs (or C-64) for everything else is killing me right now...

-Chas

Ugh. What a dreary gaming life You're the kind of console gamer I decry as being what's wrong with the audience. The "I buy Madden every year, despite it being the same game" group just kills me. I've got 30 games for my Gamecube and only 3 sports games and that's if you count Wave Race and NBA Street Vol 2. And of those, I have 0 regrets on purchases (then again, I tend to buy my games at $20 or less so it's hard to be disappointed there).

Silent Hill and PaRappa are correct.

SI

Old 06-24-2005, 01:24 PM   #208
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ugh. What a dreary gaming life You're the kind of console gamer I decry as being what's wrong with the audience. The "I buy Madden every year, despite it being the same game" group just kills me. I've got 30 games for my Gamecube and only 3 sports games and that's if you count Wave Race and NBA Street Vol 2. And of those, I have 0 regrets on purchases (then again, I tend to buy my games at $20 or less so it's hard to be disappointed there).

SI

Well, I never bought Madden more than once unless it was for the "new" console... but I did own a version of most other EA games at one time or another, and quite a few other retailers... ...

I always preferred pretty in-depth games, and back then, consoles just couldnt provide it. I didnt care much for games that you could be better at based on how well you handled the controller... so I did a lot of RPG's, and simulation type games...

eh well...

-Chas
Old 06-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #209
MJ4H
Coordinator

B3: Dance Dance Revolution
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM   #210
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas in Cinti
Well, I never bought Madden more than once unless it was for the "new" console... but I did own a version of most other EA games at one time or another, and quite a few other retailers... ...

I always preferred pretty in-depth games, and back then, consoles just couldnt provide it. I didnt care much for games that you could be better at based on how well you handled the controller... so I did a lot of RPG's, and simulation type games...

eh well...

-Chas

Well, that's different then. There were certainly times when you had to kick over rocks to find good games of certain genres for consoles and computers still do strategy games better 9 times out of 10. Console gaming really goes in fits and spurts. For instance, the Playstation had tons of Japanese RPGs but this generation with 3 systems instead of 2 there are significantly less (proportionately), platformers aren't nearly as prevalent as they once were, etc.

SI

Old 06-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #211
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Gold: Wipeout XL
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 PM   #212
NevStar
High School Varsity

B1: Syphon Filter.

Maybe?
Old 06-24-2005, 01:54 PM   #213
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

MJ4H and Taz both get theirs so it's down to Bronze 1 and Silver 2.

Edit: and NevStar with an ever confident "B1: Syphon Filter. Maybe?" gets Bronze 1, leaving only Silver 2.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-24-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:00 PM   #214
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Still 4 freebies on the board for anyone wanting to get into the game. Easy games- all either very good or very influential (and a couple are a little of both).

SI

Old 06-24-2005, 02:26 PM   #215
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

S1 - Alone In The Dark

?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 02:39 PM   #216
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

S2: Final Fantasy VIII?

(S1 is already guessed but as S2 in the list)

Last edited by SirFozzie : 06-24-2005 at 02:40 PM.
SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:05 PM   #217
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm going to guess that S2. is Tecmo's Deception

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #218
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Back to computer games, dammit! I only knew 2 of these. And they were freebies.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 PM   #219
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Still no correct guesses on S2. I figured if I went away from gameplay and went with a cutscene that you would have actually had to play to see it would be less recognizable.

Also, all the freebies are still out there for people to get in.

SI

Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 PM   #220
Chas in Cinti
High School Varsity

Silver 2: House of the Dead ???

I think I played that at an arcade and the graphics were similar...
Old 06-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #221
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

SI
Is it really any different than you buying every new Pokemon game? They are all pretty much the same except with new monsters (updated rosters, if you will).
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:22 PM   #222
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ok, I just did a skim of the rules and I think I am understanding.

Freebee 1 is Metal Gear Solid
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:54 PM   #223
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

S2. Parasite Eve
Old 06-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #224
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

TP's guess of Parasite Eve is right. The scene is from an early part in the game right before the opera singer erupts into a giant monster- you probably would have had to play the game to recognize it, but it's a fairly key cutscene less than an hour into the game. I think this was one of the more underrated games of the Playstation. It really had that "playing the movie" feel to it, even if someone could have told me "it was a game made because one programmer dared the other they couldn't make one based on the word 'mitochondria' ".

Neuqua is in, too. There are 3 freebies left for anyone not in.

SI

Old 06-25-2005, 12:21 AM   #225
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetPractice6
Is it really any different than you buying every new Pokemon game? They are all pretty much the same except with new monsters (updated rosters, if you will).

By that definition every game that's a sequel is the same: Getting every Final Fantasy or every Grand Theft Auto or every Mario game is like getting the same game over and over again and I have yet to hear anyone make that claim. Like those others, while there are new characters/rosters/whatnots, there are also new game elements, new plots, new styles of gameplay, new worlds, new interfaces, etc.

Can you say the same about every year's new football game? Are the yearly features introduced making key changes to the bulk of the game or are they just little minigames that don't really affect the core gameplay?

SI

Old 06-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #226
Izulde
Head Coach

Funny I *have* played Parasite Eve through about 2/3 of it and I don't remember that cutscene. But then, I thought Eve had black hair, too and it looks dark brown in that one.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:34 AM   #227
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
By that definition every game that's a sequel is the same: Getting every Final Fantasy or every Grand Theft Auto or every Mario game is like getting the same game over and over again and I have yet to hear anyone make that claim. Like those others, while there are new characters/rosters/whatnots, there are also new game elements, new plots, new styles of gameplay, new worlds, new interfaces, etc.

Can you say the same about every year's new football game? Are the yearly features introduced making key changes to the bulk of the game or are they just little minigames that don't really affect the core gameplay?

SI
Has the core gameplay of Pokemon changed at all? It may be a new world, but they all look just like the previous world. You wander around and do the exact same thing and battles are virtually identical in each game. To me most of the game play elements (especially it versions like yellow and crystal) that I wouldn't consider them much more than new things added to sports games.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:59 PM   #228
MIJB#19
Coordinator

No Playstation, no glory. Even though Freebie 3 looks awefully familair to about 3 games I've seen my lil' bro' play on the PC...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM   #229
Airhog
Captain Obvious

F2: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 11:09 PM   #230
oykib
College Starter

Freebie four: Final Fantasy VII
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:55 PM   #231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oykib
Freebie four: Final Fantasy VII

C'mon, yet again- don't answer if you already have a freebie. Yes, they're easy, but that's so anyone can get into the game.

SI

Old 06-26-2005, 08:10 PM   #232
oykib
College Starter

Sorry. I miiised that in the rules as I jumped in late.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:12 PM   #233
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Sid Meier/Will Wright

Today's Theme: Sid Meier/Will Wright

Back to the PC for those PC fans out there. Sid Meier and Will Wright are the two most recognizable faces in PC gaming (well, maybe we should count Carmack in there, too). Problem with making a category for them is that everyone knows their games so it's tough to find the hard ones. That said, all of these games they worked on, but they aren't all presented as, say, "Sid Meier's {blank}" as each did work in smaller companies before they became gaming icons. As with more of the PC than console stuff, I had to do a bit of research on these, particularly the silvers and golds so hopefully it's all correct (ie all of the games were done by one of them, etc). Whoops: and after all was said and done, my favorite Meier game isn't even in here (Civ2) but my favorite game from Wright is Freebie 1. NOTE: As many of their games have been ported to many systems, not all of these are from the PC versions.

Since the previous crop of games hasn't been guessed, I'll update the standings Wednesday (or whenever both it and the current set are done). Last Friday's will stay open until Wednesday with the one freebie still in play. In an attempt to hand people the answer, it's the only good quality screenshot I could find of Leon, not of Claire and I figured that was fitting since he was more of the main character. Now you have to two main character names- go forth and figure it out

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. SimCity 2000 (MIJB#19)
F2. The Sims (MIJB#19)
F3. Sid Meier's Pirates! (TazFTW)
F4. Civilization (sachmo71)
B1. Colonization (MattJones4Heisman)
B2. SimEarth (RainRaven)
B3. Railroad Tycooon (Northwood_DK)
S1. SimIsle (j51)
S2. F-15 Strike Eagle (SirFozzie)
G. Raid on Bungeling Bay (TazFTW)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:15 PM   #234
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

S2: F-15 Strike Eagle
Old 06-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #235
MJ4H
Coordinator

b1 colonization
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #236
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Colonization is correct, F-15 Strike Eagle is not.

SI

Old 06-27-2005, 01:31 PM   #237
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

F4 = Civilization

I know the gold, too. Love that freaking game.
EDIT: And the silver, also.

Last edited by sachmo71 : 06-27-2005 at 01:31 PM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 01:34 PM   #238
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
F4 = Civilization

I know the gold, too. Love that freaking game.
EDIT: And the silver, also.
I'd never heard of two of the three and had never seen the third. Like I said, this one took some research to come up with games that people haven't heard of from these two.

I've played 3 of the 4 freebies (never played Civ 1, played the hell out of Civ 2) and only one of the GSBs (Bronze 2) and it was kindof disappointing, frankly.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-27-2005 at 01:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:46 PM   #239
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Gold: Raid on Bungeling Bay
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:38 PM   #240
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Gold: Raid on Bungeling Bay
I had never heard of it before, but supposedly it was the first game designed by Will Wright.

And with that, Taz has bolted into the lead. But CW hasn't made his guess for the day.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-27-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:20 PM   #241
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

b3 Railroad Tycone
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #242
RainRaven
High School JV

b2 SimEarth
Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM   #243
j51
Mascot

S1: SimIsle
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:47 PM   #244
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
F-15 Strike Eagle is not.

SI

You sure about that?

I SWEAR that's right.

Well assuming it's wrong I'll guess F-15 Strike Eagle II

I know it's got to be one from that series, way familiar.

Last edited by Calis : 06-27-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #245
Izulde
Head Coach

damn I should have looked in here sooner. I actually knew most of these.

Old 06-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #246
Raven Hawk
College Starter

F1 = SimCity 3000
Old 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM   #247
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
You sure about that?

I SWEAR that's right.

I right there with you. I swear that's F-15.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM   #248
Katon
College Benchwarmer

I think Northwood got this one, but on the off-chance that he guessed the wrong part of the series:

Railroad Tycoon 2
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 05:13 PM   #249
Airhog
Captain Obvious

s2: F15 Strike Eagle

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM   #250
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
You sure about that?

I SWEAR that's right.

Hm... this is going to take some research to verify. The site I was reading off of had it listed as something else- I don't suppose there were similar games with the same engine or something out at the time? I'll look into it tomorrow- not sure what to do about it until then.

SI