Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-27-2005, 10:07 PM   #251
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

The others were correct (other than the little F-15 thing that I'll try to sort out tomorrow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwood_DK
b3 Railroad Tycone

Tycone = phoenetically Tycoon? I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
F1 = SimCity 3000

Wrong number- try again.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:38 PM   #252
Airhog
Captain Obvious

SI: I looked at several sites that showed a picture exactly like that and called it F-15 strike eagle. I also saw a few sites that had a picture almost like that one, but the view of the missles was turned on its side.

In any case, Strike eagle was indeed created by the man himself, Sid meier.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:02 PM   #253
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Hm... this is going to take some research to verify. The site I was reading off of had it listed as something else- I don't suppose there were similar games with the same engine or something out at the time? I'll look into it tomorrow- not sure what to do about it until then.

It's slightly bizarre. That is, spot on, F-15 Strike Eagle. However, as Airhog pointed out, the screenshots I've seen had the ordinance layout turned the other way. That is the ONLY difference. I couldn't find any other game that came close to matching it.

And as I found a site that listed (theoretically) every game Sid's done, that was still the only match. If I had to guess, it's either an error on the part of the site you got it from, or it was published under a different name for a different type 'o computer.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:02 PM   #254
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
It's slightly bizarre. That is, spot on, F-15 Strike Eagle. However, as Airhog pointed out, the screenshots I've seen had the ordinance layout turned the other way. That is the ONLY difference. I couldn't find any other game that came close to matching it.

And as I found a site that listed (theoretically) every game Sid's done, that was still the only match. If I had to guess, it's either an error on the part of the site you got it from, or it was published under a different name for a different type 'o computer.

Hm... the site I saw had it listed as something else (Gunship, another Sid Meier game). That said, the more and more I look into it, the more it looks like that site was wrong and F-15 is the correct answer. Like I said, I had to do some research for some of these and never played them so I have to rely on my sources but it appears in this case they were wrong. I'm going to say it's "F-15 Strike Eagle" and SirFozzie gets the points.

SI

Old 06-28-2005, 01:17 PM   #255
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

It is absolutely, positively not Gunship. This I can guarantee you. I owned both games.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:24 PM   #256
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Administrative Gobbledygook

Upcoming
Like I said earlier, I'm kindof settling into a pattern of "system classics" one week followed by "theme week" the next. So, two more theme days- both with a somewhat RPG theme (you'll see what I mean Friday)- and then back to the "classics" with N64, Arcade, and then another round of NES Classics next week.

Freebies (no longer)
It's looking like most of the people who want to get into the game are in- this is the second day in a row with freebies left on the board 24 hours later. Starting NEXT MONDAY (so, no, not tomorrow/Thursday), Freebies will be open game for everyone. As it stands right now, points are the method by which people are ranked. However, starting next week (if I can get Excel to agree) games will then be the tiebreaker for people with the same points so someone with 5 silvers (15 pts) beats someone with 3 golds (15 pts). That said, a freebie counts as your guess for the day so try the GSB's first- this is just for people to "pad their stats" after the GSBs have already been guessed.

Vacation Time
I've been good about keeping this regularly updated (or so I hope). That said, I'm getting married in a few weeks and out of town the week after that. So, the week starting July 17th may only have 1 or 2 contests and the week after that there will be none.

New Ideas
I have enough ideas through about the middle of October and haven't looked too far beyond that at this point as it's still 4 months off (yes, I have an insane spreadsheet to keep track of all of this). However, I also have 2 new ideas for daily themes that I'll be working in as we go along.

The first will be guest submissions- they will always be on a Monday (unless my real life schedule changes) so that I have a weekend to go over people's ideas. The first one will be 2 weeks from yesterday and once we get closer to that time, I'll give out specific instructions. However, I think I'll give people a chance to submit up to 2 screenshots and I'll sift through them and decide which to use. Some won't be included because I already have that game slated for a later date and I'm guessing I'll have more than 6 or 10 submissions so not all will be used. Obviously you won't be able to guess your own game but I think this is more about getting bragging rights over your fellow players.

The other is kindof an entirely different type of game altogether (still guessing a video game but different game structure) and I'm looking at Fridays to do those but I don't have the first one of those for about a month so I'll hold off on giving details about it right now.

Freebies Stil on the Board
That said, there are still 4 games out there for new players to guess that the current players can't touch

Now, I don't want to say that this RESIDENT screenshot from Friday has been EVILy sitting on the board for 2 long but, really, it's Tuesday now. Somebody guess already and get into the game.

Playstation Classics, Freebie 3:

As for the others, there are the three from yesterday in the Sid Meier/Will Wright category:

Freebie 1:

Freebie 2:

Freebie 3:

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:25 PM   #257
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
It is absolutely, positively not Gunship. This I can guarantee you. I owned both games.

Agree. Gunship and F-15 Strike Eagle, while both excellent games, were totally different. Gunship had filled polygons in it's first iteration, if I am not mistaken. God they were great games though.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #258
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Did I get a freebie correct? Don't see myself on the list on page 1.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:33 PM   #259
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Did I get a freebie correct? Don't see myself on the list on page 1.

I hadn't updated the standings since there were still open ones on Friday. But since there are now only Freebies left out there now, I've updated it so you're up there

SI

Old 06-28-2005, 04:27 PM   #260
Raven Hawk
College Starter

Ummm PS Freebie 3 . . . Resident Evil II?

Last edited by Raven Hawk : 06-28-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Raven Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:29 PM   #261
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Hawk
Ummm PS Freebie 3 . . . Resident Evil II?

Wow, perhaps it is

SI

Old 06-29-2005, 06:52 PM   #262
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nintendo RPGs

Today's Theme: Nintendo RPGs

The old days had very different RPGs than you see today. In a few weeks, we'll have a Playstation RPG category and it is really easy to tell what's changed- the emphasis has gone away from the base game engine to giving players a more cinematic experience. Plots and character styles have changed and many RPG fans wax nostalgic to the older days of deeper stories while neo-playstation RPGers think of those "old school" players as lumbering dinosaurs, unable to get with the newer times.

As for this specific set of games, they're from the NES and SNES. We already had FF3(6) in one of the previous games so it's not here but the other two of the Divine Square RPG Trio (TM, patent pending) make their appearance in the freebie section. Freebie 1 is my favorite console game ever (and the screen chosen features one of the more (in)famous translations in video game history) while freebie 2 is what I consider to be the best RPG ever.

There are 3 freebies still left from Monday and now a full compliment of 4 today. There won't be any on Friday so anyone who hasn't gotten in already needs to get one of these 7. Remember, next week, anyone can guess on the freebies (but not until next week).

Game Rank: GSB and Freebies

Freebie 1.

Freebie 2.

Freebie 3.

Freebie 4.

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
F1. Final Fantasy 2 (NevStar)
F2. Chrono Trigger (Vince)
F3. EarthBound (NevStar)
F4. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (Vince)
B1. Pool of Radiance (Coffee Warlord)
B2. Dragon Warrior 2 (j51)
B3. Ultima: Exodus (Raven Hawk)
S1. Breath of Fire (Izulde)
S2. 7th Saga (terpkristin)
G. Deja Vu (Calis)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:48 AM.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:54 PM   #263
Calis
College Starter

Gold- Deja Vu

Sure hope it isn't the sequel.

Loved those games.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #264
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Gold: Deja Vu

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #265
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

FUCK
he beat me to it
/tk
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #266
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

S2: 7th Saga
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #267
MJ4H
Coordinator

bronze 2 dragon warrior
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #268
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Deja Vu and 7th Saga are right. Man, I figured those might be a little harder- oh well. Heck, I went with Deja Vu because I thought Shadowgate was a gimme compared to it.

Bronze 2 is not Dragon Warrior. And this isn't like the other day with F-15- I know what game this is because I played it

SI

Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 PM   #269
Izulde
Head Coach

S1. Breath of Fire.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:09 PM   #270
Calis
College Starter

Quote:
Deja Vu and 7th Saga are right. Man, I figured those might be a little harder- oh well. Heck, I went with Deja Vu because I thought Shadowgate was a gimme compared to it.

SI

Heh, oddly enough Deja Vu was the ONLY one I knew right off the bat looking at it.

Probably is obscure though, but I played the hell out of it. Had it on the PC also.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:10 PM   #271
Izulde
Head Coach

I had Deja Vu on the IIGS and recognized it right away myself.

Old 06-29-2005, 07:17 PM   #272
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Bronze 2: Dynasty of an Emperor
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:23 PM   #273
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Bronze 2: Dynasty of an Emperor

Nope. Didn't really have this one pegged as a head scratcher, but I've been known to be wrong quite a bit.

SI

Old 06-29-2005, 07:37 PM   #274
RainRaven
High School JV

B3 Ultima
Old 06-29-2005, 08:00 PM   #275
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainRaven
B3 Ultima

Nope

SI

Old 06-29-2005, 08:21 PM   #276
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

B1 - Pool of Radiance
Old 06-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #277
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Nope. Didn't really have this one pegged as a head scratcher, but I've been known to be wrong quite a bit.

SI

Crap. I put the wrong first word.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:13 PM   #278
j51
Mascot

B2: Dragon Warrior 2
j51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:15 PM   #279
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

B3: Ultima IV: Quest for the Avatar?
Old 06-29-2005, 11:25 PM   #280
Raven Hawk
College Starter

B3: Ultima III: Exodus
Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #281
Airhog
Captain Obvious

B2 Dragon Warrior 3. Loved that RPG. One that I actually beat!

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #282
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW
Crap. I put the wrong first word.
Don't worry- it wasn't a silly wording thing, you were barking up the wrong tree entirely.

j51 was right with Dragon Warrior II. The 4 Dragon Warriors that appeared on the NES look similar, but that shot it's easy to tell which game it was by the number in the party and who it was.

SirFozzie was close but not quite. That was Ultima III not IV. Both were released for the NES, but Exodus was the one shown.

I owned both games and never finished either. Never finished Ultima because, well, it was a stupidly unbalanced design for a game. No refinement at all or sense for the players. Leveling up never really got you stronger, only one event in the game really did, and to do that, you have to save up a metric assload of cash and do all your leveling at once, pray you got strong enough to return from the Super Island of Powering Up without dying and then save your game again and try to beat it. Yeah- I once made it to the Super Island of Powering Up and couldn't get back and that was that. Every other time, I never made it. Lots of cool ideas in the game, but so badly flawed in the main gameplay that it wasn't that playable.

Dragon Warrior II is another story. There's just one dungeon towards the end that is maddeningly hard unless you level up your guys a bunch (ala Elf Cave in FF) and I never took the time to do that. By the time I was ready to, the game was borrowed by someone and I never got to finish it. That said, one of the side jobs of the Pokemon translator was to retranslate remakes of DW1-3 on the GBC. He pointed me towards these and I did beat DW2 there. But they adjusted the death curve a little so it wasn't as brutal which is why it doesn't really count as a total victory.

Pool of Radiance was also correct so that's the GSBs for the day.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-29-2005 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:20 AM   #283
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

damnit, the combat systems for the ultimas looked alike
Old 06-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #284
NevStar
High School Varsity

Spoony bard!
Old 07-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #285
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Made By Square?

Today's Theme: Made By Square?

So we did RPGs on Wednesday and nearly half of those were made by Square. But they've made quite a few other games, too. Here's an odd mix of non-RPGs made by Square before they became Squeenix across a couple of different systems. I think some of these are a bit harder than in days past but I could be wrong. I've been trying to pick harder screens so you can't just make guesses based on simple gameplay shots that you can find anywhere (like the Parasite Eve FMV, speaking of Square).

Since there are still many freebies left on the board, there won't be any today. Also, the spreadsheet rankings are a bit screwy (see the Excel thread on the main board) and I'm trying to get that sorted out. I basically had to do it manually today so there may or may not be errors in the rankings. I'll update the games list as soon as the freebies have been guessed which I'm guessing will be by the end of the Monday game since those will be opened up to everyone. Also, I think Fridays will become a Friday/Saturday affair just like the others so there are 2 possible days they will be posted.

Game Rank: GSB Only

Bronze 1.

Bronze 2.

Bronze 3.

Silver 1.

Silver 2.

Gold.

Correct Answers
B1. Rad Racer (Vince)
B2. Brave Fencer Musashi (Izulde)
B3. Bushido Blade (kingfc22)
S1. Tobal No. 1 (TargetPractice6)
S2. Einhander (TazFTW)
G. 3-D Worldrunner (MattJones4Heisman)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-20-2012 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #286
MJ4H
Coordinator

gold 3d worldrunner! booya.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #287
MJ4H
Coordinator

haha i knew owning that game would come in handy someday
Old 07-01-2005, 02:15 PM   #288
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Other than as a doorstop? I seem to remember renting that one time and it was harder than hell.

SI

Old 07-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #289
MJ4H
Coordinator

btw if anyone has the rom for this game i would love it. i loved this game.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:18 PM   #290
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Other than as a doorstop? I seem to remember renting that one time and it was harder than hell.

SI

yes it was hard as hell. my dad bought it for me when he was out as a surprise. you probably know the crapshoot that results from parents buying random games for you. i was very surprised, i felt i got quite a little gem. i didnt think anyone else had ever played it but me. certainly cant find the rom these days (not that ive looked THAT hard, mind you)
Old 07-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #291
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Sid Meier category, Freebie 2: The Sims

Am i in now?
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #292
kingfc22
Head Coach

B3. Busihdo Blade
Old 07-01-2005, 02:40 PM   #293
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Silver 2: Einhander
Old 07-01-2005, 02:45 PM   #294
Izulde
Head Coach

B2. Brave Fencer Musashi

Old 07-01-2005, 04:07 PM   #295
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

All of the guesses so far have been correct. MIJB#19 is now in the game (but remember- your freebie is your guess for today, no GSBs yet). 2 left for today, still 6 freebies out there across the last 2 sets.

SI

Old 07-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #296
kingfc22
Head Coach

Woot. I got one.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #297
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

S1. Tobal No. 1
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:34 PM   #298
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Down to 1 bronze game left. Had never played that or Einhander but have played the other 4.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:59 PM   #299
Vince
Pro Starter

B1 -- Rad Racer?
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 05:40 PM   #300
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
B1 -- Rad Racer?
It is indeed Rad Racer. Long forgotten is the fact that it came with 3-D glasses and could be played in 3-D mode. Also, that there was a second car. And made by Square a long time ago.

EDIT: That does it for GSBs. There are still 6 freebies for anyone not in yet- some PC, some console- so there's something for everyone. Anyone who hasn't gotten in has until Monday to guess, at which point it will be opened up to anyone. I'll ask the "regulars"- those who already have a freebie to not guess on the old freebies until after the new set has been posted Monday/Tuesday. If you do it before then, you won't get any credit (it will be N/A'd) and it will count as your guess for the day. But once the new set is posted, those as well as all the old remaining freebies will be fair game. Just remember- it counts as your guess for the day and you can only guess one just like any other game so I'm sure you'll want go after GSB's for the points first.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-01-2005 at 05:45 PM.