Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #101
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible View Post
is this a novel by Tom Wolfe?

Well, I considered titling it "The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Football Baby," but I thought that would be a bit obvious.
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #102
revrew
Team Chaplain

After the game, All-pro honors were announced, and the Rebels were heavily represented. Chambliss and Stockman won first team yet again, but they were also joined by Bernie Hicks, Toby Porter, and surprise SLB Mo Hoff who--despite being far less talented than former Rebel star SLB Daryl Smith--nonetheless produced greater numbers leading the Rebs in tackles for his second year. Our rookie kicker won 2nd team kicker for making 86% of his FGs and 100% PATs, none bigger than the 5 he made in the SuperBowl itself. Coach Joe Galthier won coach of year, 3rd year straight.

But the real question, the final question, was the bottom line. With my reserves, I needed the Rebels to make $114 million dollars in order to pay off the Family.

And so, like it too often does, life and death became a matter of dollars and cents. The Rebels were 3-time SuperBowl champs, a dynasty, a legendary franchise, and I had engineered it all. But would my glory be enjoyed only posthumously?
Old 09-08-2006, 08:13 AM   #103
revrew
Team Chaplain

I needed the fans of Birmingham to ransom me and their franchise at the cost of $114 million dollars. Like I have said many times, "Thank you, fans of Birmingham. You really are the best!" The Rebels made $126 million that year, a sum that preserved untarnished a football dynasty.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:16 AM   #104
revrew
Team Chaplain

EPILOGUE:

2 years after this story ends, Marco Turtschin led the Rebels to yet another SuperBowl victory, throwing for 307 yards in a SuperBowl MVP peformance.

4 years after this story ends, the Rebels conduct the first perfect regular season since the '72 Dolphins. Solid draft picks and a few key free agency pickups made the Rebels the most solidly talented top-to-bottom of any roster perhaps in history. Turtschin, Chambliss, Porter, and Stockman--all remaining starters from the end of our story--were often hurt throughout the year, but the Rebels bench was so thick, so solid, it held against all comers. Perhaps the best Birmingham team in history, the Rebels nonetheless lost the NFC Championship game to the defending SuperBowl champs, who then went on to successfully defend their title. Toby Porter retired in the offseason.

In Turtschin's 17th year, the Rebels fell to 6-10, their first losing season since Turtschin's sophomore campaign.

The next year, a ROY running back helped Turtschin lead the team to a 12-4 record with a wild card berth. Turtschin lost his last game, 16-6.

Marco Turtschin retired a Legend of the Game and certain hall of famer. He led his team to 6 SuperBowls, winning 4 of them and taking away two SuperBowl MVP trophies. He was voted player of the game 139 times in a career where he passed for 47,691 yards, 326 touchdowns and a mere 133 INT's with a lifetime 89.3 career passer rating. In 2027, Turtschin was voted into the Hall of Fame with an 100%, unanimous vote.

The next season, Dave Chambliss blew out his knee after 14 years of service. Though he worked to return, Chambliss' recovery simply took too long. He retired a Legend of the Game, with 3 SuperBowl rings, 6 All-League 1st team honors, and 1 2nd team honor, a career 42.7 BPct and a 0.2 SPct, with only 10 career sacks surrendered in 4338 passing plays. His career 757 catches were the most for any NFL back in history, and the third-most for any non-wideout. His Hall of Fame credentials are unsurpassed among fullbacks.

Two years later, in his 15th season, Rusty Stockman tore his ACL. He, too, chose to retire rather than make the long and difficult rehab. Rusty retired with 3 SuperBowl rings, 4 all league first team honors, and 1 second team honor. His HoF credentials are more than worthy. His final stats: 817 catches for 8754 yards (both NFL records for tight ends) and 60 touchdowns (2nd most for tight ends). His contribution to the history of the Rebels, however, cannot be measured. And neither can the contribution of any Rebel player, Rebel fan, or Rebel dynasty reader. To you all, thank you, and God bless.

Last edited by revrew : 09-08-2006 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #105
Coder
College Prospect

I've read every post in this thread.. more than once.. Great story

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #106
revrew
Team Chaplain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coder View Post
I've read every post in this thread.. more than once.. Great story

Thank you very much, Coder. And thanks to all who have read along and encouraged me as I worked on this thread.

All I ask is that you would remember this thread when the Golden Scribe awards come around. As an aspiring writer and owner of an editorial services business, I include Golden Scribe Awards among my accomplishments on my resume. No kidding. So I invite you to vote!
Old 09-08-2006, 03:02 PM   #107
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Bravo sir...Bravo sir...I must stand and applaud you for this.

Sell the movie rights now.......
Old 09-12-2006, 04:52 AM   #108
Kobeck
n00b

excellent read
Kobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:42 AM   #109
Northwood_DK
College Benchwarmer

Printed this yesterday and spend the entire evening reading. I even missed all the Champions League action. Best football dynasty I have seen this year.
Northwood_DK is offline   Reply With Quote