Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #51
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sabaton

New Ghost

Epica (Love Simone's eyes, beautiful)

Shinedown (new album coming out next month)

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post

New Ghost

This one is pretty ... interesting.

Love the chorus & bridge work, not real keen on the verses.

The album could turn out to be quite good, quite awful, or just a mess all over the place.

But for the time being, while it's still up in the air about that, it's definitely interesting.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #54
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Dig the new Ghost song myself, wouldn't put it in their top 5 or anything, but not a bad first look at the new material. Very interested to see how things go with the band being entirely new now. The stuff in the last 20 seconds or so of Rats is probably more compelling than the rest of the song.. Wonder if that is part of another track.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 04-20-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 AM   #55
QuikSand
lolzcat

Not exactly 2018 stuff, I get it. But I'm actively inculcating my 5yo son with music I think he should know, and given a dozen recent listens to this particular song... holy smokes is it great. Try to listen just for the drums, and then for the brass, and then the selective uses of other instruments. Wow. I have always known and vaguely liked the song, but now I am a huuuuge fan. And I dislike a majority of his catalog, or at least I thought I did. May have to revisit some.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #56
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I didn't realize Future Islands had a newish album.

Yeah, it's pretty good. I'll be seeing them next weekend.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:34 PM   #57
korme
Go Reds

The video that has everyone talking.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #58
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

New one... Wish their US tour came through this area, looks like an entertaining evening.
Old 05-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #59
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Will be interesting to see what the new 5FDP album -- their first for their new label -- sounds like when it drops this Friday.

On the one hand, generally one of the most reliable & consistent acts around. That said, I'm a little uneasy since the first three tracks released are a little closer to filler than killer. That they went with basically a fairly generic diss track ("Sham Pain") as the lead single gives me pause, 'cause if that's the highlight of the album then this is going to be a letdown. And I've had enough of those album-wise lately :/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-14-2018 at 10:16 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #60
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Aaaand after my first pass through ... I'm not disappointed by the new 5FDP album, though I don't hear an over the top standout track at this point. It's solid enough. And the shock of a Kenny Wayne Shepherd cover -- clearly attempting to catch the "Bad Company" lightning in a bottle again -- was jawdropping in terms of song choice, though more nice-but-not-lifechanging in execution.

On a different note however, the new Parkway Drive album is fucking amazing. This is a "did they meet some sketchy dude down at the crossroads at midnight" level progression. Holy Hell, I don't even like screaming in songs much & this album is incredible. Easily my AotY frontunner on May 18th. I'm bordering on blown away atm. Lots of influences present in small doses at times -- BFMV, Trivium come to mind -- but the listening experience reminded me quite a bit of hearing a Pantera album for the first time.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 05-18-2018 at 12:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #61
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Went to see Paul Simon last night. It was an awesome concert. For a 77 year old guy he is still has a great voice.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #62
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

New Ghost is great. Much more commercial - you can see the progression and I find it really impressive that he has accomplished exactly what he wanted to do. It's like he had a master plan for commercial acceptance and he's followed it perfectly. Started as this dark, heavy, carnival sideshow-type novelty act but with surprisingly strong songs and progressively got more and more commercial and popular, all while retaining the same dark lyrical content.

When you've got my teenage daughters singing along to...

Don't you forget about dying
Don't you forget about your friend death
Don't you forget that you will die

...the absurdity and hilarity of it is amazing. This guy has taken the Alice Cooper/Marilyn Manson playbook to another level.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #63
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
New Ghost is great.

Almost the opposite reaction here.

I'll just c&p from my public review

Quote:
After a rockin' lead single ("Rats"), I had hopes that the new album from Ghost would deliver enough material to liven up the rather sorry state of current rock for at least the rest of 2018.

Well, it delivered ... something. However, I never in my wildest imaginings thought the two artists that the album would bring to mind would be .. ELO ... and Barry Manilow.

Perhaps the best produced / best sounding album I've heard in several years has pretty much nothing else aside from the lead single to recommend it. The ELO influence (tribute?) is prevalent on nearly half the tracks, 2 of the unusually stingy 10 tracks are wasted on instrumentals, 1 of the 10 is an 81 second prelude, and it ends with an almost shocking Barry Manilow sounding vocal.ballad-paced whimper.

I suspect they made precisely the album they were shooting for, and the production is major blockbuster motion picture drama caliber stuff ... the material itself however is noteworthy only because of how campy it feels.

After the potential of the lead single, I honestly don't know whether to laugh, cry, be offended, or just put them back in the gimmick band category where they've spent most of their career.
Old 06-05-2018, 12:17 PM   #64
Ksyrup

They were always camp, and were always going to veer into commercial territory. They've been trending that way since the beginning. Hence, the "new" Cardinal replacing the line of Papa's. It's intentionally Ghost by way of Queen-like theatrics. Forge himself said he wants it to sound like a familiar 70s band you've never heard.

I think he nailed it. I would rather hear heavier stuff myself, but I like it for what it is and I think it's exactly what he wanted. It's one thing to be singing lyrics like...

This chapel of ritual
Smells of dead human sacrifices
From the altar bed

...over what is essentially Symphony of Destruction rehashed, but to have similar lyrics in a sing-songy fashion sung over power ballads and more commercial music? Hilariously ridiculous. That was the point to begin with. It's a mish-mash of great songwriting, musicianship and over the top lyrics and theatrics. It's meant to cause discomfort between the elements that can be taken seriously and the ridiculous, over the top stuff.

And I love ELO, so...
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-05-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They were always camp, and were always going to veer into commercial territory.

I think I probably allowed myself to hope for too much from the album honestly. Too much that I'd actually enjoy. We're in full agreement that this feels like what they wanted to do executed well ... I just don't have much need to hear anything they chose to do on this album (beyond the lead single). There's only two other songs on the album I'd make it through again, and that's probably being generous by one.

It's part of a bigger scenario for me really though. I've published a weekly playlist every week (except, I believe, four) for six years. That's right around 300 weeks, based on the YouTube version that's ... curating a list of about 100 currents I was comfortable "endorsing", every single week for THREE HUNDRED WEEKS.

And I'm on the brink of at least heavily revamping my system for that, if not stopping outright, because there simply isn't enough music being released over the past year or so that I consider worthy of that endorsement.

And that frustrates me, and makes me sad, and makes me angry.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:31 AM   #66
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think this new album is all Forge's desire to be popular above all and I don't think I like that. Almost feels like Rats was a leftover from Meliora and other than that track, nothing else really hit home for me on this one. I get the direction and I see what they were going for, but they can still sound like a band from the late 70's without writing songs that smell like something a goth Taylor Swift would write after a breakup. I just think they pushed the blend too far into the pop realm and totally forgot about what made them good in the first place. They were poppy without being pop, now they're just pop. There's just a level of manufactured feel to most pure pop music that I usually just can't get into. Meliora might end up being the album I stick with as my favorite, in much the same way that other Ghost fans think Opus or Infestissumam is better. We'll see what they come up with next time.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 06-06-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:07 AM   #67
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Where the hell is the rest of Ye at? The album only has 7 songs and 4-5 of them seem really good. But still workrate....
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #68
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Where the hell is the rest of Ye at? The album only has 7 songs and 4-5 of them seem really good. But still workrate....

Apparently Kanye is dropping 5 albums in 5 weeks that he has produced, including his own. I think they will all have 7 songs. Pusha T's fantastic DAYTONA was the first, which I can't recommend highly enough.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 PM   #71
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Saw Ben Folds and the Pittsburgh Symphony a few weeks ago. Show was great, highly recommend seeing him in this format if possible
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 12:46 PM   #72
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Nude Party was introduced to me recently, and I can't get enough of them.

The Nude Party - Chevrolet Van
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 01:18 PM   #73
Ksyrup

Sounds like a clearer vocal interpretation of the Everybody Must Get Stoned melody line. That's the vibe I got from that particular song.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:58 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somebody linked a live stream of the final set from Wacken Open Air earlier.

Helloween -- with all three vocalists (though Hansen barely does any).

Epic is the only word that fucking comes close. Massive would be a fair second choice. The enormity of it, the spectacle, the insane talent.

Holy hell that was good.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:23 PM   #75
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Been listening to the Piano Guys.

Taking our 8 year old to see them tomorrow night in Atlantic City.

My guilty pleasure has been Blake Shelton. I really like his music, catchy and fun. Going to see him in AC next weekend. My wife got tickets through a vendor from work ten rows back and center.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:43 PM   #76
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Somebody linked a live stream of the final set from Wacken Open Air earlier.

Helloween -- with all three vocalists (though Hansen barely does any).

Epic is the only word that fucking comes close. Massive would be a fair second choice. The enormity of it, the spectacle, the insane talent.

Holy hell that was good.

Wacken Open Air is on my bucket list.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:26 PM   #77
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I thought about Whackin in the open air a few times, but the potential of bug bites on my junk held me back.

Really excited for the new Alice in Chains album, reviews I have read say that 'The One You Know' isn't even the best track on the album, which is exciting to think about.

Also just discovered Church of the Cosmic Skull.. Aside from having one of my favorite band names of all time, they're a unique blend that goes all over the map from classic "arcade rock" to pop to pink floyd to doom metal, often within the confines of one song. Some have compared them to Ghost for their theatrics and faux religious themes, and I think they are executing the style Ghost went for on this most recent album better than Ghost did. There are enough tasty riffs to make the pop sections of their songs work in a weird way.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 08-10-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #78
Ksyrup

I haven't heard it yet because I'm at work and YouTube is blocked, but I guess the rumor is true that Steve Perry is releasing his first new music in like 25 years. First song is out there, album to follow in October, I think. Wife heard it and loved it. I told her I'd buy her the cassette as an early Christmas present.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM   #79
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

Really excited for the new Alice in Chains album, reviews I have read say that 'The One You Know' isn't even the best track on the album, which is exciting to think about.

I have to admit, I was borderline shocked to hear another track from that album this week & find myself pretty satisfied with it. "Never Fade" may be the next single & it ain't bad.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:17 PM   #80
Ksyrup

Man, I want to love the new AiC and have tried the past several albums, but they just don't have what they used to. It's just boring music. And I love William Duvall, from back when he was a solo artist responding to personal emails. The parts are all there, but it just doesn't add up. Of all the 90s rock bands, AiC is one of the few I can still listen to - but it's all the old stuff.

Production is great though. Nick R. is at the top of the production game right now.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I haven't heard it yet because I'm at work and YouTube is blocked, but I guess the rumor is true that Steve Perry is releasing his first new music in like 25 years. First song is out there, album to follow in October, I think. Wife heard it and loved it. I told her I'd buy her the cassette as an early Christmas present.

It's .... okay. He certainly doesn't sound bad or anything, though no one should go into expecting classic era Journey either (the song is too light for that really). Vocally it's fine, stylistically it's fairly bland.

Nostalgia could make it an moderate AC hit easily enough (depending upon how the label chooses to work it).
Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM   #82
Ksyrup

Yeah, I'm expecting AC, no doubt. I mean, Journey was already heading in that direction with him on Raised on Radio (I'll Be Alright Without You in particular), so 30 years later, it makes all the sense in the world.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #83
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I'm expecting AC, no doubt. I mean, Journey was already heading in that direction with him on Raised on Radio (I'll Be Alright Without You in particular), so 30 years later, it makes all the sense in the world.

A vocalist friend of mine noted that SP's love for classic R&B was what he picked up on in the song. Not sure I caught that vibe as strongly as he did, but take it fwiw I guess.
Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 AM   #84
Ksyrup

Some new stuff I'm digging:

New Khemmis came out in June but I'm just getting around to listening to it:

New Riverside single, album comes out at the end of September. First album since the lead guitarist died and they decided to go on as a 3-piece. Sound is roughly like a Polish version of Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson:

For those who love late 70s/80s pop/rock, Night Flight Orchestra is an amazing band. The members are all from European melodic death groups but this band is straight tasty 70s/80s cheese. The older albums tended to sound more like late 70s rock, but for this album they went full-on 80s. This stuff would have been huge back then.

This is one of the most interesting bands I've heard in awhile. Love this song, can't get the rhythm section out of my brain:

This band has been one of my favorite new bands for a couple of years. New album is terrific. Heavy, poppy, 3-part harmonies. It's like a modern King's X except all 3 members look and sound like former English boy band members:

Bit o'power pop/singer-songwriter stuff... Danny Wilkerson (produced by Bleu who obivously wrote this song, since it's sounds like his), Bird Streets (produced by Jason Falkner who has his hands all over this album too), and Roger Joseph Manning Jr., who needs no introduction:

And finally, wouldn't be complete without a bit of the heavy stuff... this isn't new, but it's new to me - Wilderun. This is a Boston-based melodic death metal band that plays a unique combination of acoustic progressive orchestral death metal with blackened folk music elements, using alternating harsh and clean vocals. Sounds like something straight out of Europe. Musicianship and production are tight as heck. I just love this album, this is a 4-part song that kicks off the album after a short instrumental:

Old 08-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #85
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Going to see Blake Shelton tonight at the Hard Rock in Atlantic City. Yes he is a bit hokey, but I like his music and I'll bet he puts on a hell of a show. Plus tickets were free, front and center 6 rows back from stage.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-18-2018 at 05:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #86
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Not quite the right thread for this, but this is pretty cool. Nice outside-the-box thinking of how to use social media in 2018:

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-22-2018 at 11:11 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:09 PM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Sad shocking news this morning as We Came As Romans confirm the death of their (clean) vocalist Kyle Pavone. Just 28 years old, no cause of death or details thus far
Old 09-21-2018, 08:35 PM   #88
Ksyrup

A couple of live DVDs coming out shortly. Both sound fantastic.

Ninet Tayeb's voice is so damn pure.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:40 AM   #89
BishopMVP
Coordinator

On a blues/country kick.

The Godfather. Chris Stapleton - Second One To Know (Audio) - YouTube

(I assume everyone has heard Outlaw State of Mind too, but if not - Chris Stapleton - Outlaw State Of Mind - YouTube )

This guy Whiskey Myers I heard on Yellowstone - Hank - YouTube

ZZ Ward who I think has an amazing voice ZZ Ward - Home (Audio Only) - YouTube

Any version of Blue Eyes Blind is amazing, but I think this one is the most endearing ZZ Ward - Blue Eyes Blind (Fairfax Recordings Session) - YouTube if you just want to hear the song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQjONsUDCm8

Also been listening to a fair amount of Iron Maiden lately. Somehow I kinda forgot about them, but Aces High, Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Trooper, 2 Minutes 2 Midnight still play.

Last edited by BishopMVP : 09-23-2018 at 04:10 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:22 AM   #90
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Sad shocking news this morning as We Came As Romans confirm the death of their (clean) vocalist Kyle Pavone. Just 28 years old, no cause of death or details thus far

Overdose.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:26 PM   #91
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post

ZZ Ward who I think has an amazing voice

Perhaps surprisingly, I agree. I just wish she used it on better songs, that's pretty much limited my listenables from her to like two tracks ever.

Quote:
Also been listening to a fair amount of Iron Maiden lately. Somehow I kinda forgot about them, but Aces High, Fear of the Dark, Hallowed Be Thy Name, The Trooper, 2 Minutes 2 Midnight still play.

I think they hold up quite well in part because their songs typically tell stories, and in most cases, pretty much timeless stories.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:48 PM   #92
Ksyrup

I wrote my 11th grade English paper on Rime of the Ancient Mariner, mostly thanks to Maiden's epic Cliffs Notes song.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #93
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Saw Flogging Molly and Dropkick Murphys together the other night in Seattle. Really great show, although Murphys play a few too many newer songs for my taste.

Maybe I am just getting old, but one thing that stuck out to me, and my wife, was how people moved through the crowd. It was general admission and we were on the floor, maybe 3/4 of the way back. People who were coming in and out of the crowd instead of picking their way through were literally just plowing through as fast as they could. Not caring or even pausing if they bumped into you. IT didn't really bother me, just more of an observation. I just don't remember it being that way at any of the other many, many concerts I have been to.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #94
Ksyrup

I wish I wasn't so old that I (a) don't have anyone to go to shows with anymore, and (b) don't feel like it's worth the hassle. There was a show on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend that I really wanted to see, but the thought of having just got back into town that afternoon, going by myself, sitting through 2 or 3 other bands to see the band I wanted to see, and then getting home after midnight didn't appeal to me at all. So I skipped it, but I wish I hadn't.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #95
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I wish I wasn't so old that I (a) don't have anyone to go to shows with anymore, and (b) don't feel like it's worth the hassle. There was a show on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend that I really wanted to see, but the thought of having just got back into town that afternoon, going by myself, sitting through 2 or 3 other bands to see the band I wanted to see, and then getting home after midnight didn't appeal to me at all. So I skipped it, but I wish I hadn't.

The bolded part is the thing that I simply will not do anymore. Life is too short to sit through bands I (at best) have zero interest in.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #96
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Sad news for Western Mass https://pitchfork.com/news/all-that-...rt-dead-at-44/

Hope he's still shredding and do hair flips in the afterlife All That Remains - Six (Live) - YouTube
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #97
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My cousins band opened up for great white the other night at the stone pony. That was pretty cool.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #98
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Not necessarily new, but new to me:

IDLES

Tinariwen

Songhoy Blues

Sleaford Mods

High On Fire

Yussef Kamaal

Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:02 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Sad news for Western Mass https://pitchfork.com/news/all-that-...rt-dead-at-44/

Hope he's still shredding and do hair flips in the afterlife All That Remains - Six (Live) - YouTube

Sad news, even sadder I guess as my FB feed had several musicians talking about what a great guy he was, specifically how well he treated them on tour (regardless of the relative stature of their respective bands).
Old 10-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #100
Ksyrup

I guess I'm late to this band seeing as though his second album came out in June, but I'm blown away after repeated listens to both albums.

This band is really just one guy. The dude started this band from a 4Chan dare to mesh up two completely different genres, black metal and "black" music, in one 30 second song. He took that and created an entire sound out of it that is a pretty interesting/compelling amalgamation of black metal and gospel and country/southern rock based around slave chants/work songs. I love it, and it doesn't sound much like anything else out there.