Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #51
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Well, of course, but Fox is going to value their king of ratings, even if it's much less than those at other networks. He's still getting million dollar contracts because of what he means to the network itself.

It is somewhat like (but not an exact comparison) when AMC kept renewing "Mad Men" even though the ratings were terrible (around 1.0).

Except Mad Men was probably 100 hours of basically premium content that can be monetized forever with Netflix, Amazon, etc. Not to mention a lot of added network value for Emmy wins and nominations.

As for Bayless' salary, that's what he was worth to FS1 as part of their effort to both cut the viewership of a big ESPN moneymaker and also build their own show to take on said opponent. Let's see what he's worth to them after years of getting 100K viewers. Pretty solid chance it ends up just like today's news.

FS1 is getting hit by cord-cutting just like ESPN so this stuff is inevitable.

Last edited by Logan : 04-26-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #52
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Except Mad Men was probably 100 hours of basically premium content that can be monetized forever with Netflix, Amazon, etc. Not to mention a lot of added network value for Emmy wins and nominations.

It was definitely kept for the Emmy wins, however, AMC gets nothing from the Netflix rights - those go to the production company, Lionsgate.

And I'd argue that stealing Bayless was consider a coup because they were taking a talent from ESPN (who was garnering good ratings over there).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-26-2017 at 02:56 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:53 PM   #53
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He's still getting million dollar contracts because of what he means to the network itself.

Which is what, exactly?

Barely anyone watches him. What else does he bring? While he is definitely a "name" and people know of him, I think most who do know of him don't like him and that's born out by his poor ratings.

I didn't understand the hiring then and don't know.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #54
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
It was definitely kept for the Emmy wins, however, AMC gets nothing from the Netflix rights - those go to the production company, Lionsgate.

Thanks. Thought they owned a piece of it.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:58 PM   #55
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm curious how other people consume sports news and highlights these days.

I don't sit down to watch news or highlights. If I see on here or on Twitter that there was some crazy play that happened in a game, then I will find the highlight online and watch it then.

Mrs. A was out of town last week, so I had more free time and had NFL Network on in the background while I did other stuff.

I will also, if I notice them on, watch a produced recap like "Sounds of the Game" on NFL Network. Or, occasionally, the 30 minute replay of a game that they have the week after as part of Sunday Ticket.

And if the Saints aren't playing, I'm more likely to watch RedZone than a particular game during the season.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #56
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Which is what, exactly?

Barely anyone watches him. What else does he bring? While he is definitely a "name" and people know of him, I think most who do know of him don't like him and that's born out by his poor ratings.

I didn't understand the hiring then and don't know.

First Take had quite good ratings when Bayless was there. It was drawing half a million (Around the Horn type ratings) for a little bit when they decided to go all Tebow heavy. So FS1 decided to take a bit rating personality from ESPN and bolster their own. Maybe it's just that FS1 really can't ever compete and will be doomed to tiny ratings, but that's what they were attempting to get out from under.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:01 PM   #57
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's 10% smaller than something called FXX ... which I'm not sure I've even heard of until seeing it on the list. (that's not a typo, it's apparently the much smaller sister network to FX)
They moved a number of their better shows to FXX from FX, including "Always Sunny" and "Archer" (among others).
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #58
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

FXX also shows Simpsons marathons a lot, IIRC.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #59
Logan
Head Coach

Think the pitch (at least originally) was that FXX would have the comedies while FX had dramas.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #60
Arles
Grey Dog Software

If you want a good person to follow on all the layoffs, I'd recommend Jim Miller. Here's his latest tweet about SVP being the one ESPN employee to deal with the cuts on the air:

Old 04-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #61
Logan
Head Coach

I saw on Twitter that Bob Ley had a quick mention on OTL, but didn't catch the actual clip yet.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:30 PM   #62
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Old 04-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #63
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

"leaving us"

Tough spot for Bob Ley to be in, but that writing is just so tone deaf.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-26-2017 at 04:00 PM.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
They moved a number of their better shows to FXX from FX, including "Always Sunny" and "Archer" (among others).

Just for a tiny smidge of clarification, the reason it's so off my radar is that the network is largely "non-inserting", which means that I can't place spots on it with local systems for local/regional advertisers. That renders is pretty much meaningless to me professionally (since I'm not doing full-network level business at the moment). Since I don't watch AND I can't buy it, it's just a non-entity to me, no reason for me to be conscious of me until the latter changes.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #65
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I hate to see people lose their jobs, but how in the hell is matthew berry still employed? He's severely overpaid and not even good at his job.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #66
Arles
Grey Dog Software

He's the Stephen A Smith of Fantasy Football. He's a known commodity who tries to be as outlandish as he can to stay relevant. For people who actually want to win in Fantasy Football, there are many better options out there. But, for the benefit of my chances in the fantasy leagues I'm in, I hope he stays. Many people read him like the gospel.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #67
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
He's the Stephen A Smith of Fantasy Football. He's a known commodity who tries to be as outlandish as he can to stay relevant. For people who actually want to win in Fantasy Football, there are many better options out there. But, for the benefit of my chances in the fantasy leagues I'm in, I hope he stays. Many people read him like the gospel.

You know, i never really considered it from that angle Arles. That people would still use his "Sage-like" advice as gospel. I use it as mostly what not to do.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 PM   #68
General Mike
Pro Starter

I wouldn't be shocked if one of their draft gurus gets the axe after the draft is over.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #69
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I can't wait for Todd McShay breaking down the draft on Bromancing the Stone with Danny Kanell on CBS Sports Network.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-26-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:07 PM   #70
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if one of their draft gurus gets the axe after the draft is over.

I've never understood why they keep 2. Other than to have the two get into fake arguments.

Hopefully it's Kiper that goes. Neither is very good, but Kiper seems like nothing more than a shill for agents.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:14 PM   #71
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I hope they keep Kiper so he doesn't suddenly show up on NFL Network and make me die a little more inside.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:37 PM   #72
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
I hope they keep Kiper so he doesn't suddenly show up on NFL Network and make me die a little more inside.
This, keep Kiper on ESPN. NFL network is 1000% better for draft coverage and I don't want anything that could impact that.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:03 PM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

It is fascinating to remember how excited the internet was this morning when the layoffs were beginning and how disappointed the internet seems to be by the results.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:10 PM   #74
gmgameschris
n00b

Jayson Stark definitely surprised me the most. Hockey wasn't too shocking but Scott Burnside has been doing it for a while.
gmgameschris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 PM   #75
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgameschris View Post
Jayson Stark definitely surprised me the most. Hockey wasn't too shocking but Scott Burnside has been doing it for a while.

Buccigross was the biggest one to me. Kinda surprised they didn't axe Melrose along with those others, but I guess they need somebody to randomly talk about the Cup Finals for 3 minutes on SportsCenter.
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:06 PM   #76
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Looks like Buccigross is not on the layoff list, but his contract is up in July and probably won't be renewed. I'm kind of looking forward to his first day with one of the competitors and hope he goes for some variation of the "Buccigross actually is greener on the other side" joke.

Also hoping Jemele Hill goes on another of her absurdly baseless rants and gets the axe.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-26-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:30 PM   #77
tucking fypo
H.S. Freshman Team

Axing Jayson Stark shocked me. I've been pretty faithful in watching BBTN since it first debuted in 1990 with Dave Marash as host. Its really the only thing I watch consistently on ESPN anymore. Hockey is treated like the red-headed stepchild anyway so not surprising they gutted it. Danny Kanell was polarizing at times with his takes on college football and his time with Russillo but liked his insights.
tucking fypo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:07 PM   #78
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It is fascinating to remember how excited the internet was this morning when the layoffs were beginning and how disappointed the internet seems to be by the results.
That's because most wanted some combination of Stephen A, Jemele Hill, Michael Smith and Lebatard. Those were probably the four safest given their marketing investment over the past few months. Good luck watching an NBA game on ESPN without 20 promo clips of Jamele and Smith.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM   #79
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Just watched SVP's comments. As usual, he did a stand up job. Said his friends left for reasons out of their control and will bring value wherever they go. That's about the best we will get from someone associated with ESPN.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:15 PM   #80
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

I actually like Michael Smith and Lebatard when they're used well.

Stephen A and Jemele have no redeeming value. They're the sports broadcasters that Vince Russo would create and I'm a Jim Cornette guy that will settle for Paul Heyman (ergo Michael Smith and Lebatard when used well).
Old 04-26-2017, 11:28 PM   #81
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The irony of Jemele Hill is that she has spent a career looking for racism under every corner, yet if she were white and from Connecticut, she would probably have been let go today.

I also agree on Michael Smith and Lebatard, I find Smith a pretty thoughtful guy and Lebatard has some funny moments on his radio show. I just don't like the full investment Lebatard's show entails or the format of Smith's sportscenter. Put Smith on an NBA podcast and I would listen.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:38 AM   #82
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
The irony of Jemele Hill is that she has spent a career looking for racism under every corner, yet if she were white and from Connecticut, she would probably have been let go today.

Scorching hot take there.

Just ignore the fact that they let plenty of people of color go, and really none of their "high profile" talent. Jay Crawford and Trent Dilfer are probably the highest profile people they let go, and I think we can all agree that nobody cares about Jay Crawford and Trent Dilfer.

I should add also that I think Jemele Hill is terrible.

Last edited by Butter : 04-27-2017 at 06:42 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 AM   #83
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Dr. Jerry Punch is on a list I saw. Thought he was decent. Kaharsky is sad as I really liked his take on things.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:39 AM   #84
Butter
Coordinator

Was kinda hoping Mike Patrick was on there, as he has been terrible... maybe always, but especially the last 10 years.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:47 AM   #85
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Andy Katz, Jim Caple, Doug Glanville (who I just read yesterday), legal analyst Roger Cossack (who I feel like I've seen/heard more in the past few years than 3/4ths of the list)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #86
Butter
Coordinator

Have been hearing that the bigger names among those let go haven't gotten out yet because they haven't self-announced their firing.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:19 AM   #87
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Jerry Punch release stings me. I knew his work on MRN Radio even before he went to ESPN. That's 37 years of hearing a guy, and a likable & genuine guy at that.

:/
Old 04-27-2017, 09:51 AM   #88
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Have been hearing that the bigger names among those let go haven't gotten out yet because they haven't self-announced their firing.

Not a big name I guess but Britt McHenry announced that the draft is her last assignment.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:11 AM   #89
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

Just ignore the fact that they let plenty of people of color go, and really none of their "high profile" talent. Jay Crawford and Trent Dilfer are probably the highest profile people they let go, and I think we can all agree that nobody cares about Jay Crawford and Trent Dilfer.

It's more that she wouldn't even be in their "hip, millennial" 6 o'clock sportscenter spot to begin with. But you are correct, this was more about removing older, more expensive reporters (regardless of race/gender).
Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #90
molson
General Manager

That's a lot of talent out there looking for work. I wonder what the impact of that is. It probably drives everybody's value down. Is there anybody who is really in a position to benefit from this, or will most of these people just gradually find lower-paid work spread out through the lesser sports media outlets?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:53 AM   #91
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
people just gradually find lower-paid work spread out through the lesser sports media outlets?

I think that's it. A lot may find work on online outlets. But other potential sports media (Fox Sports, NBC Sports) is also feeling the crunch from less cable carriage fees. The big names may find themselves scooped up, but likely at lesser salaries.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #92
Logan
Head Coach

Thoughts on what a guy like Jayson Stark was making? How about a Danny Kanell type?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:15 AM   #93
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:

They got rid of talent that actually did a good job for keeping utter crap. Even if the 100 people fired were their top 100 earners, it's barely a drop in the bucket of the cost of airing a single NFL game. 10 million lost subscribers over 3 years at $7.21 each is $72.1 million in lost potential revenue over the last 3 years alone. If they're going to do meaningless cuts to assuage stock holders, then get rid of the people that are causing ratings to plummet.

I'm more intrigued by what happens to them, and the various leagues, when the sports TV bubble finally bursts, but I would have better enjoyed the ride to that inevitable end if it valued their competent sports people over yammering idiots like Jemele Hill.

ESPN is at $7.21 per month right now and it was $4.69 in 2011. The top 4 ESPN channels (ESPN, 2, U, and SEC) are $9.06 per month. There are no cuts that are going to fix that until TV rights fees undergo a correction.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-27-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #94
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Let's try my comment again, this time WITHOUT the idiotic link included eh?

Basically Deadspin (they of the bugfuckery linkage) had a good take on the finances: the combined salaries of all those cut likely equal a rounding error for a company their size.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #95
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, as CrescentMoonie and Jon just said, this was a purely PR move to calm stockholders. The actual money saved from these firings is minimal (especially when you factor in severance). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the balance sheet actually showed more cash out for this year than if they kept everyone. Many of the people let go had been with the company for 10+ years and probably got a nice package to leave.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #96
Atocep
Coordinator

The only way ESPN is going to make a dent is if stops bidding against itself for content.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #97
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, as CrescentMoonie and Jon just said, this was a purely PR move to calm stockholders. The actual money saved from these firings is minimal (especially when you factor in severance). In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the balance sheet actually showed more cash out for this year than if they kept everyone. Many of the people let go had been with the company for 10+ years and probably got a nice package to leave.

Partially a PR move. Sports rights are a fixed cost. Salaries are really the only thing that can be lowered. And even if it is minimal, it shifts some numbers to the right side of the ledger. Salary cost savings may have been mandated from above.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:03 PM   #98
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The only way ESPN is going to make a dent is if stops bidding against itself for content.

To a point (and the day is coming). Fox is starting to throw some big money at rights fees - it's why ABC/ESPN was outbid for World Cup broadcasting rights.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:05 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Salary cost savings may have been mandated from above.

Oh I'm sure they were.

Quote:
Walt Disney Company (The) is expected* to report earnings on 05/09/2017 after market close.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 PM   #100
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

"Russillo and Kanell" today is Adnan Virk and Randy Scott. Smart move to not put someone like Russillo in front of a mic after yesterday.

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 04-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.