Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What team would have been considered a potential all timer?

Had they not played in the same era as a truly all time great team. I'm not talking about the 86 Pats who ran in to a buzz saw. I'm talking about a team that consistently was great and just happened to exist in an era where there was someone a little better.

For me it would be the Utah Jazz during the Jordan years. I think they win at least 2-3 titles if Jordan didn't exist. I think you could also throw in Mannings Colts.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Lathum : 12-06-2019 at 06:59 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

They would not have been an all-timer, but the Dome Patrol Saints had the misfortune of playing in the same division as the Montana/Rice 49ers. I don't know if they would have made a Super Bowl, but they would have gotten some division titles and home playoff games and maybe a few playoff wins at least had they not been in the same division as one of the greatest dynasties of all time.

The Jim Kelly Bills are interesting because they went to 4 Super Bowls, but only two of those were "blocked" by the Cowboys. So that feels like a team that was almost an all-timer, but I cannot say that the Cowboys were the reason they didn't make it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

The Braves of the late 90s into the 2000s? They won the division 11 years in a row.

Thinking back to the Manning years. During the height of that Colts/Patriots rivalry, the sports talk scene would bring up from time to time what would the situation be like if Manning was the Patriots QB and Brady was the Colts QB.

I always felt that if Manning and Belichek were together, they would have gone undefeated 2-3 years in a row. Putting those 2 together would have been the ultimate combination.

I also think Brady wouldn't be shit if he hadn't hooked up with Belichek. Manning would have still been Manning.

Other than Jeter, there hasn't been an athlete I've disliked more than Brady, so I am a little biased.
Old 12-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Warhammer
Pro Starter

The 70s Rams were a better version of the early 2000s Eagles. They made 5 out of 6 NFC Championship games and went to the Super Bowl once in SB XIV and gave the Steelers a run for their money (even though the score doesn't reflect it, Rams were driving for a go ahead touchdown with roughly 5 mins to play). Throughout the 6 year run, they went 3-1-1 against the team that knocked them out during the regular season.

They featured an outstanding defense with a stellar offensive line. Names such as Olson, Youngblood, McCutcheon, Hacksaw Reynolds, Saul, Harrah, France, and Mack were stalwarts on the team. In 1978, they sent 4 of the OL players to the Pro Bowl, back when it mattered. A backup on that team? Some guy by the name of Jackie Slater, he's in the Hall of Fame. (EDIT: Slater was in his 3rd year, and still didn't crack the starting line up).

Last edited by Warhammer : 12-06-2019 at 08:39 AM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
JPhillips
General Manager

From 47-56 the Brooklyn Dodgers lost the World Series to the Yankees five times and only won once.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:23 AM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
The Braves of the late 90s into the 2000s? They won the division 11 years in a row.

But they got blocked by danged near errrrrrybody
Old 12-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

Mid-80s Flyers w/o Edmonton.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The 1990-94 Bills. I still think if Norwood makes that kick the Bills win 2-3 SuperBowls.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #9
Arles
Grey Dog Software

1992-1993 Phoenix Suns. They had the top offense in the NBA and a top 10 defense (after pace was adjusted). They lead the league in 3s taken (13.3) and were 3rd in % (.363). They played at a high pace and were well before their time. Throw in a mega-star like Barkley and without Jordan, they may be looked on as a transcendent team had they won the title.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Mid-80s Flyers w/o Edmonton.

Flyers? I think you mis-spelled Jets.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #11
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
1992-1993 Phoenix Suns. They had the top offense in the NBA and a top 10 defense (after pace was adjusted). They lead the league in 3s taken (13.3) and were 3rd in % (.363). They played at a high pace and were well before their time. Throw in a mega-star like Barkley and without Jordan, they may be looked on as a transcendent team had they won the title.

I also seem to remember that was the year Dan Majerle began to take some way downtown stephen curryesque 3's.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #12
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

The early 2000 mariner teams which peaked in 2001 with them winning 116 games.

They won 116 friggin games.

That team didn't even have Griffey, Randy Johnson or Arod. How insane is that. and to still win 116 games.

Made the playoffs in 2000, knocked out by yankees
116 game winners in 2001 knocked out by yankees

I guess it was only two years in a row, but still if they win the world series both years, especially with them winning 116, they would be considered one of the best teams of all time
Old 12-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

This isn't quite what you asked, but 2009 colts. Start 14-0 then rest players then lose in the Super Bowl....what could have been.

Sometimes our greatest opponent is ourselves
Old 12-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #14
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The San Jose Sharks of the last twenty-five years. 22 playoff trips, only one cup final and no cup wins.

The Houston Rockets for the last six or seven years.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

NHL 79-80 - Flyers lead the league in Wins, lose to the Islanders in the finals.

Next 2 years they remained good, but usually 2nd or 3rd in their division.

NHL 82-83 - Flyers 1st in division and 2nd to the Bruins in wins. Didn't matter, Islanders win their 4th Stanley Cup in a row.

NHL 84-85 - Flyers lead the league in wins, lose to the Oilers in the finals.
NHL 85-86 - Flyers 1st in division, 2nd to Oilers in wins, choke in the first round
NHL 86-87 - Flyers 1st in division, 2nd to Oilers in wins, lose in finals to the Oilers
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #16
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

94 Expos could have been a dynasty if there wasn't a strike
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #17
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

60s Lakers. Lost in the finals to the Bill Russell Celtics 6 times.