Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-25-2019, 02:18 PM   #501
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sandy Hook father who died by suicide was ‘a beautiful human being’ - NewsTimes

The father of one of the Sandy Hook victims committed suicide this morning. My brother knew him and has participated in various fundraisers for the Avielle Foundation. Such a tragic situation for everyone involved. The article mentions that two of the Parkland survivors also committed suicide last week.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-25-2019 at 02:19 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #502
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

God forbid something like that happened to one of my kids I don't know how I would go on. It breaks my heart.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:15 PM   #503
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
God forbid something like that happened to one of my kids I don't know how I would go on. It breaks my heart.

Yup. Not sure how you ever move on from that.

Also this was one of the parents that was harassed by Alex Jones and his fan club.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #504
Kodos
Resident Alien

At the time of the shootings, Avielle was his only child. What makes yesterday even sadder is that he leaves behind the two kids that he and his wife had had after the tragedy. You wish that he could have held on for the kids, but all it takes is one moment to make a decision that you've rejected countless times before that moment. It's all so tragic.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #505
Comey
College Starter

Seven years to the day, Newtown HS wins the CT LL state football championship on a walk-off. The fifth graders at Sandy Hook then are seniors now. Amazing.

Newtown HS Wins State Title On Anniversary Of Sandy Hook Shooting

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #506
miami_fan
Coordinator

I saw this earlier. Really cool story.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #507
QuikSand
lolzcat

I agree with what has become the cynical consensus. Sandy Hook was the moment for our country to make a major change on gun policies. Once we decided that this sort of slaughter of children was something we could just move on and live with, every panic button moment since then has become an empty echo. This was our moment.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 08:05 PM   #508
Edward64
Head Coach

I am glad the Sandy Hook families got compensation for their losses. I hope they can get some additional level of closure.

TBH, I don't really understand the legal rationale for the win. Or did the insurers just want to put it behind them since Remington went into Chapter 11?

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/15/n...ettlement.html
Quote:
The families said that Remington, the gunmaker, violated a state consumer law by marketing and promoting their products in a way that encouraged illegal behavior.
The below example was quoted. I get market placement can make a product more desirable, attractive etc. but isn't it a leap to say it encouraged illegal behavior? It was either genetics and/or combination of other environmental factors.

Does this apply to tv shows & movies that show/glamorize illegal behavior such as speeding cars? Movies offer car manufacturers or other brand names placement for $.

Quote:
The families pointed to the way the company portrayed the AR-15-style Bushmaster rifle as a weapon of war, with the use of slogans and product placement in video games that invoked combat violence. The lawsuit contended that hypermasculine themes — including an advertisement with a photograph of the weapon and the slogan “Consider your man card reissued” — specifically appealed to troubled young men, like the Sandy Hook gunman, who was 20.

But if this results in stronger gun laws and/or more cautious/select behavior from gun manufacturers, I'm okay with it.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 09:57 PM   #509
RainMaker
General Manager

It's a fascinating lawsuit. Gun manufacturers are given special protections that the general public and other businesses do not receive. They're essentially above the law on the federal level (and many states).

Allowing the case in state court was a huge win. And the law firm behind the strategy of going after them for unlawful trade practices was brilliant.

This seems like a payoff to avoid more discovery. Remington was destroying documents, sending joke documents, and refusing to hand over others. It was pretty clear they had some stuff that would either be a huge PR disaster or flat out illegal. Have to guess the insurers saw that and decided a payout was way better than having those records ever see the light of day.

I don't think it changes much though as they still have immunity. If anything, they'll just be more careful with what documents they keep.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote