Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty3281 View Post
Shooter - 7.5/10

Quote:
Transformers - 8/10

Quote:
those people will probably not be taken seriously with their movie reviews by me any longer

I'm right there with you brother. If I could put someone on ignore for a single thread, i'd be doing it right now.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #952
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
All in all, you could really tell this was a Michael Bay film.

I can't see how this is supposed to be a good thing.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:29 AM   #953
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Thank You for Smoking - 9/10: Wow... just an incredibly well done biting satire. I originally figured it'd skewer the tobacco industry and if it just did that (using the tobacco spokesman as its vehicle), it would have been great, but it doesn't stop there. It goes after anti-tobacco Senators trying to hog the limelight and the press who feeds on the controversy. And the movie was just plain hilarious. What made it funnier was that it was thiiiiis close to real life.

I very much enjoyed this one. Excellent casting. Great writing. Aaron Eckhart was fantastic in the lead role and David Koechner was funny as the NRA lobbyist.8/10
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #954
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Snakes On a Plane-6/10

It was akin to cashing 1,000 checks worth a penny apiece, and then cashing 1 check worth $1,000. The payoff is, of course, "I've had it with these motherfucking snakes on this motherfucking plane."

It's a great line....Worth 3 points by itself...I didn't even bother to watch the ending. Didn't really care who lived or died.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:50 AM   #955
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - 8/10
I was confused a bit, but maybe after repeated viewings I'll completely understand it and will really like it (ala Memento). The movie itself was good. Had funny lines and decent action. I liked how Downey Jr. would break the fourth wall during his narrating. I don't know the crime/noir author they were talking about, otherwise maybe I'd enjoy the movie even more.

Just watched this tonight. I agree it was good. A little confusing, but after digesting for a little bit it works itself out. I'd actually go up to 8.5, pushing 9. It was well done, and refreshing. I have now finally come to the conclusion that Downey is just a darn good actor.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #956
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, I found that out through Inside the Actor's Studio. Pretty cool that Dusty stayed in character and didn't miss a beat.

That is very possibly where I got it too. I'm always amazed by actors that can stay in character in odd situations, or fall back into character even years later.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:17 PM   #957
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdb
According to producer Jerome Hellman on the two-disc DVD's commentary, the famous line, "I'm walkin' here!", contrary to all other accounts, was actually scripted. The cab driver was, in fact, an actor hired to almost drive into Dustin Hoffman. The production team made the take look as though it was an ad-lib.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #958
Lorena
Unregistered

Hot Fuzz - 8.5/10

The first part of it was pretty good but the last 30 minutes were hysterically funny, I couldn't stop laughing. You can tell they had a blast making this movie.

"By the power of Greyskull!!"
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #959
rowech
Pro Starter

Inside Man -- 8/10 -- good movie that ran out of steam in my opinion

Rescue Dawn -- 7/10 -- I can see people who really lived this in some way or want to live it giving it a 10/10. Steve Zahn's performance is nothing short of amazing. Christian Bale (a fav of mine) is probably oscar nomination worth but Zahn could have a real shot at winning.

Last edited by rowech : 08-02-2007 at 11:13 PM.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #960
Lorena
Unregistered

300 - 7.3/10

I kinda zoned out when Leonidas gave those speeches, the actor wasn't convincing. Faromir would have done a better job, I think. The cinematography and fighting scenes saved the movie, IMO. Another thing that bothered me was why the Spartans didn't wear armor? I mean seriously, who goes into battle with cloths on their backs and underwear?

As I was watching people getting stabbed, beheaded with blood squirting all over the place I wondered how this got an R rating? This might be the most graphically violent movie I've seen.

Last edited by Lorena : 08-02-2007 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Realized the movie was worse than I had thought.
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 04:41 PM   #961
rowech
Pro Starter

The Bourne Ultimatium - 9/10 -- Loved it. Probably my favorite of the three.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #962
Flasch186
Coordinator

hmmmm,

Zodiac - 8 / 10

I truly loved the movie and it seemed to stay true to the story. I thought the acting was very good and it did at times have me on the edge of my seat.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #963
Flasch186
Coordinator

The Dead Girl

8 / 10

It was very well acted with some real "wow" moments. Heart wrenching at times and suspenseful at others. Definitely one to watch.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #964
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
hmmmm,

Zodiac - 8 / 10

I truly loved the movie and it seemed to stay true to the story. I thought the acting was very good and it did at times have me on the edge of my seat.

I really enjoyed it, too.

Spoiler

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-04-2007 at 12:29 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #965
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
The Dead Girl

8 / 10

It was very well acted with some real "wow" moments. Heart wrenching at times and suspenseful at others. Definitely one to watch.

Good, im definitely going to check this out. Rose Byrne has been pretty solid in a couple of things I've seen her in, and Toni Collette is criminally underrated and underused.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:41 AM   #966
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Good, im definitely going to check this out. Rose Byrne has been pretty solid in a couple of things I've seen her in, and Toni Collette is criminally underrated and underused.

Does that mean you have seen Sunshine?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #967
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I really enjoyed it, too.

Spoiler

Leigh...

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #968
rowech
Pro Starter

The Illusionist -- 8/10 I liked the movie but liked The Prestige more. Edward Norton continues to fly under the radar as just a fantastic actor.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:53 AM   #969
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Does that mean you have seen Sunshine?

Yes.

Sunshine (2007)

I'll say 3 of 5 stars, but an overall 'thumbs down' if I was pressed on it. The whole cast is solid, including a really surprisingly good performance by the dude who i've only seen (in trailers) as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies. I guess he's actually got some real talent... good for him.

The acting is good, the look of the film is phenomenal, the setup is good, BUT... In what is becoming a dangerous trend in Danny Boyle movies, it careens off the rails about 2/3 of the way through. Without getting into specifics, it takes kind of a bizzare turn that I don't think anyone expects.

I like a number of Boyle movies (Trainspotting is one of my all-time favorites, Shallow Grave is good, Millions is good), but the number of movies that fall apart after a good setup is piling up (The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine). I would say his only film that I never was into at any point while watching it was A Life Less Ordinary.

I guess at the very least he's made some interesting failures. He may just be choosing poor scripts to make his movies out of... im not sure.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #970
Sgran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Yes.

Sunshine (2007)

I'll say 3 of 5 stars, but an overall 'thumbs down' if I was pressed on it. The whole cast is solid, including a really surprisingly good performance by the dude who i've only seen (in trailers) as the Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies. I guess he's actually got some real talent... good for him.

The acting is good, the look of the film is phenomenal, the setup is good, BUT... In what is becoming a dangerous trend in Danny Boyle movies, it careens off the rails about 2/3 of the way through. Without getting into specifics, it takes kind of a bizzare turn that I don't think anyone expects.

I like a number of Boyle movies (Trainspotting is one of my all-time favorites, Shallow Grave is good, Millions is good), but the number of movies that fall apart after a good setup is piling up (The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine). I would say his only film that I never was into at any point while watching it was A Life Less Ordinary.

I guess at the very least he's made some interesting failures. He may just be choosing poor scripts to make his movies out of... im not sure.

I couldn't agree with you more. I haven't heard anything about the development of the screenplay, but I get the sense that there was a rewrite somewhere in the process "to add more tension" or something. Okay, I need to talk about the ending, so stop reading now if you plan to see the movie.

SPOILER ALERT

If i had to guess, i would imagine that the whole "sun as God" theme was there in the original idea, but that the horror aspects were tacked on because the original ending didn't have enough punch. Probably the orignal idea was pitched as "the sun is dying, so we're sending this atomic device to restart it, and another ship failed and they don't know why, but the people on board make some mistakes, and they know they'll never get home again, and they find out the people on the other ship got Sun crazy, and they have to make the ultimate sacrifice."
And the studio said, "that's not enough. We need some aliens." and then they went back and forth and the cast had all signed on, and the shooting was about to begin, and they just came up with this ending and had to live with it.
Sgran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #971
sabotai
General Manager

Spoiler

Last edited by sabotai : 08-04-2007 at 11:02 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 04:17 PM   #972
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes.

Sunshine (2007)

Yeah, I think you more or less nailed it for me. I thought the acting was very good, and the look was fantastic, even mesmerizing at times. Some little things bugged me (like, how did they have artificial gravity without being on spinning modules or being on a ship designed to use the acceleration of the ship as gravity) from the very start.

But it was still very good until right about the time they discovered the "fifth" crew member. Then it all went batty, and the ending just was blah for me.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #973
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Nacho Libre - 5.5/10

I finally got around to watching it. Not a bad movie, but not a great movie either. If you hate Jack Black, then stay far away. The nun in the movie was WAY too hot to be taken seriously as a nun. I went to Catholic school for 13 years, so I have plenty of experience to speak about this.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:44 PM   #974
Pyser
Pro Rookie

fog of war - 9.5/10

probably the best documentary i've ever seen, about robert mcnamara - the secretary of defense during the cuban missile crisis and vietnam war...and also a prominent player in the firebombing of japan in wwii...as told by mcnamara himself.

i really dont want to say anything more, but it is masterful in every way.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:03 PM   #975
Flasch186
Coordinator

History Boys - 6/10

So Ashley says, "Kids in Britain are so much smarter than us," very matter of factly. I replied at the end of the movie, "they maybe smarter but I had no idea that they all we're gay or at least Bi."

A very weird movie that was filled with language that either the writer simply likes to stroke his ego (ahem) or truly these kids vocabulary is supercalafraj....you get it.

It was long, boring, and when it tried to mhave some sort of emotional tie in, you couldnt help but say, "'Well he fuckin' deserved it!"

You can skip it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 PM   #976
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Breakfast at Tiffany's - 9/10.

An absolute classic, and one can see why. Holly Golightly is just one of the all-time great character creations, and its hard to imagine anyone else pulling this role off quite like Audrey Hepburn. 1 point deducted for Mickey Rooney's performance, not for the racism (which is more than a little vile), but because its not even funny, and adds nothing.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 08-07-2007 at 01:30 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #977
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Breakfast at Tiffany's - 9/10.

An absolute classic, and one can see why. Holly Golightly is just one of the all-time great character creations, and its hard to imagine anyone else pulling this role off quite like Audrey Hepburn. 1 point deducted for Mickey Rooney's performance, not for the racism (which is more than a little vile), but because its not even funny, and adds nothing.

I'd say at least 3-4 pts. should be deducted for the Rooney performance. Other than that, I still think it's an overrated movie, with a terrific central Hepburn performance surrounded by a weak story.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #978
sabotai
General Manager

Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior 6.5/10
Decent action movie. Lots of good fights. One had me yelling "ECW! ECW!" in my head throughout it. The director fell in love with instant replay far too much, though, and the movie was filled with action scene cliches.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 AM   #979
Flasch186
Coordinator

Illusionist - N/A

I was too busy playing civ4 during it to give it a fair grade....it seemed good though. ashley liked it.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 AM   #980
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Illusionist - N/A

I was too busy playing civ4 during it to give it a fair grade....it seemed good though. ashley liked it.

The Illusionist is not very good. Norton and Giamatti are both great, but Jessica Biel is terrible and pretty much ruins the whole thing. The movie turns out to be pretty simple in the end, and the big twist is telegraphed at the start of the 3rd act.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 AM   #981
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
The Illusionist is not very good. Norton and Giamatti are both great, but Jessica Biel is terrible and pretty much ruins the whole thing. The movie turns out to be pretty simple in the end, and the big twist is telegraphed at the start of the 3rd act.

These are pretty much my feelings as well. However, I think Norton, Giamatti, and the "feel" of the time period overshadows other stuff. As I said a couple of posts before, I liked the Prestige better but this movie held my interest at least.

I agree with the Biel comment though. This was the first move I've seen with her and to me, it looks like she's just another pretty face with no acting ability.
Old 08-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #982
Flasch186
Coordinator

Black Snake Moan 8/10

Wow, what a surprise. This movie was intense and truly had some very good acting in it, timberlake aside. I was surprised but its dysfunctionality and ability to rationalize was very pleasant. this is a very good flick.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM   #983
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, I usually watch 2-3 movies a week, so I obviously don't review all of them, but in this case I just have to.

Hairspray - 9.5/10

Holy hell, is this one sweet, sweet movie. The last time I saw a musical that had this infectious a song set and this enjoyable a cast was back in the days of Moulin Rouge.

The best way to describe this film is to say that it's fun and high energy, with a few doses of snarky witticisms related to the social commentary. Nikki Blonsky is a dynamite lead who really serves as the core of the film. I hate John Travolta normally, but in this movie he becomes Edna in a way that I never anticipated and the rest of this ensemble cast is absolutely stellar, with the possible exception of Christopher Walken, who I usually enjoy, but seemed at times to be too much like Christopher Walken.

If you like 50s and 60s music, this soundtrack just drips with songs that invoke the era and even if you're not a fan, the lyrics of some of the songs are smart and in a few cases, cutting.

There's definitely a strong social message associated with the film, but it never interferes with the fun and in fact, the blend of silliness and seriousness does well to point out the absurdities inherent in the issues that the movie raises.

The only reason I don't give it a 10 is because of the Walken thing and there's one song sequence that falls a little flat.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:20 PM   #984
techguy
Banned

PathFinder- 8/10

A very fun Epic adventure move. The battle scenes are great.

Salvage Vikintg invaders bent on death and destruction clash with iron-willed protectors of a new world in this heroic action-adventure filled with intense battle scenes and breatless, primal violence.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 PM   #985
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguy View Post
PathFinder- 8/10

A very fun Epic adventure move. The battle scenes are great.

Salvage Vikintg invaders bent on death and destruction clash with iron-willed protectors of a new world in this heroic action-adventure filled with intense battle scenes and breatless, primal violence.

I'd never heard of this movie so I did a quick google search... is it really a Vikings vs American Indians movie, or am I mistaken?!?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 PM   #986
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'd never heard of this movie so I did a quick google search... is it really a Vikings vs American Indians movie, or am I mistaken?!?

I haven't seen it, mind, but from the promos it looks more like Vikings versus abandoned castaway Viking.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 08-09-2007 at 08:36 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #987
techguy
Banned

Quote:

The heroic story of a young Norse man raised by Native American Indians who wages a personal war against the Vikings that barbarically raided his tribe.
techguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #988
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The heroic story of a young Norse man raised by Native American Indians who wages a personal war against the Vikings that barbarically raided his tribe.

Tell me you lifted that from the movie Website. It sounds like you're spamming us (especially since this movie did not get too many positive reviews when it came out).
Old 08-09-2007, 09:26 PM   #989
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Just reading this makes a little piece of me die.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:48 PM   #990
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Just reading this makes a little piece of me die.

It's good for a popcorn flick. It's based on a comic (which is why I went to see it), and that plot is very, VERY weak, but if you take it for what it's worth (that being a bloody swordfighting movie), it's not a bad way of wasting 2 hours.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:52 PM   #991
Flasch186
Coordinator

if you havnt heard, the real estate market is a bit thin so....in keeping with the Comic book theme:

If you havnt seen the movie the Punisher, with Travolta in it, please do...I could use the $

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 08-09-2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:55 PM   #992
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
if you havnt heard, the real estate market is a bit thin so....in keeping with the Comic book theme:

If you havnt seen the movie the Punisher, with Travolta in it, please do...I could use the $

I keep forgetting that I need to see this. Browsing over to Netflix now... pm me what I should look out for, if you have a sec Flasch.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:58 PM   #993
Flasch186
Coordinator

dont blink or you'll miss me...

the guy who asks to if he can get the guy underpants. ugh

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 08-09-2007, 10:11 PM   #994
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Go fuck yourself.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #995
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:

You were in Punisher?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:10 PM   #996
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
You were in Punisher?

He was, and he even has his own imdb.com page.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1065243/

(My "Go fuck yourself" response was a reference to his scene in The Punisher....just in case anyone seriously thought I was telling Flasch to go fuck himself. )
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 PM   #997
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
He was, and he even has his own imdb.com page.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1065243/

(My "Go fuck yourself" response was a reference to his scene in The Punisher....just in case anyone seriously thought I was telling Flasch to go fuck himself. )

That's excellent! I'm going to have to watch the movie again.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:20 PM   #998
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Favorite part of Flasch's IMDB page...

Plot Keywords: Father Son Relationship / Coming Of Age / Gay Kiss / High School
Old 08-09-2007, 11:42 PM   #999
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Btw, did you think of putting FOFC as your contact information?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 PM   #1000
Izulde
Head Coach

What season of One Tree Hill are you in? Cuz I picked up the first season but haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote