Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-16-2012, 05:30 PM   #251
Easy Mac

Does anyone else find it unseemly when people at the NFL network bring up replacement refs as the reason for a blown call? It just seems they have a weekly mouthpiece that the union refs don't have.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #252
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Dallas back to reality.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #253
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Insane amount of blocked punts today it seems.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:36 PM   #254
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Does anyone else find it unseemly when people at the NFL network bring up replacement refs as the reason for a blown call? It just seems they have a weekly mouthpiece that the union refs don't have.

I would think they wouldn't want their announcers to draw attention to the replacement refs.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #255
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Maybe the Jets can call on Tebow to lead them into the promised land of victory.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #256
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Richardson on the Rams looks great. #26
Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #257
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

This cynical side of me wonders if this is just Flacco, knowing that the regular refs will probably be back, trying to win a few points with them so he'll get a few calls to go his way.

As for the offensive pass interference call he's whining about, it was clearly offensive pass interference.

Last edited by sabotai : 09-16-2012 at 05:47 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:53 PM   #258
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ike Taylor is awful
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #259
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Ike Taylor is awful

He hasn't even been that bad today. 2 of the 3 DPI calls were phantom calls.

Somehow him being within 5 yards or Ryan Clark drilling Holmes is DPI.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:58 PM   #260
Simbo Klice
High School Varsity

The Titans are going to be 1-15 this year if they're lucky. A group of obese homeless midgets being thrown to by Jamarcus Russell would shred their secondary.
Simbo Klice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #261
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
He hasn't even been that bad today. 2 of the 3 DPI calls were phantom calls.

Somehow him being within 5 yards or Ryan Clark drilling Holmes is DPI.

Yeah no kidding, that last one was so stupidily not there.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #262
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Griffin is Vick with a brain.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #263
wade moore
lolzcat

And now the refs turn on the Skins.

I don't care what people say to try to defend these replacement refs, they have to go. I don't care what the full time guys are demanding, this is showing why the NFL needs to give in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #264
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Dwyer is in beast mode
Old 09-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #265
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
And now the refs turn on the Skins.

I don't care what people say to try to defend these replacement refs, they have to go. I don't care what the full time guys are demanding, this is showing why the NFL needs to give in.

They're not full time, just a contractor doing a weekend job (plus travel and expenses and occassional non-weekend game).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #266
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
As Eli Manning was taking a knee on the final play of the game, the Bucs basically launched themselves at him. Really unnecessarily play on Tampa's part.

Here is part of Coach Schiano's explanation for the last play of the game.

"I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League," Schiano said after the game. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over. And there's nothing dirty about it, there's nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose."
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #267
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
They're not full time, just a contractor doing a weekend job (plus travel and expenses and occassional non-weekend game).

You can nitpick on my words if you want, you know what I meant. The guys that are capable of doing their jobs.

Sorry I used "full time" which wasn't the correct word. The Permanent Refs. Union Refs. Guys that don't completely suck. Whatever you want to call them. Give into their demands.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-16-2012, 06:21 PM   #268
bhlloy
Coordinator

Jackie Battle should be a starting running back in this league. He's a fricking train, and to look that good behind this Chargers offensive line is something
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #269
wade moore
lolzcat

hahahaha

Moyers actually just said.

"And Robert Griffin III can add to his legacy."

Seriously?

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #270
MikeVic
Head Coach

Why isn't Steve Jackson getting the ball?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:27 PM   #271
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

OMG, Josh Morgan just cost them the game
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #272
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Why isn't Steve Jackson getting the ball?

He took a penalty in the first quarter and Shanny benched him.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 PM   #273
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
OMG, Josh Morgan just cost them the game

Wow. Just wow.

And that's after the idiot ran backwards when he had a yard to run to get the 1st down.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #274
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
He took a penalty in the first quarter and Shanny benched him.

To be more specific.

The game was getting chippy. Then he thought he had a TD, but it wasn't being called. He angrily spiked the ball in "celebration" and got a personal foul.

He never went back in the game - Fisher benched him. They specifically said there was no injury to Jackson.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #275
whomario
Pro Starter

OK, why the hell don´t you go for it here ? Instead of letting a kicker try a 62 yarder, a kicker who has hit 5 fgs of 50+ in 102 games ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #276
wade moore
lolzcat

As a Redskins fan, despite the loss, I'm still very happy with what I'm seeing from RGIII. The defense is a serious problem, but so far he's everything I hoped he'd be.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:32 PM   #277
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
OK, why the hell don´t you go for it here ? Instead of letting a kicker try a 62 yarder, a kicker who has hit 5 fgs of 50+ in 102 games ?

I don't like the choice, but I suspect it's about not putting a rookie QB in his 2nd game try to convert a 4th and 16 when down by 3 with 1:00 left.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:34 PM   #278
whomario
Pro Starter

Dunno, seems like a can´t-loose situation for a QB, who´d blame him there ?
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #279
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I saw the Morgan foul. What was his problem to cause him throw the ball in a rage?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #280
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Dunno, seems like a can´t-loose situation for a QB, who´d blame him there ?

I agree with you.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:36 PM   #281
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I saw the Morgan foul. What was his problem to cause him throw the ball in a rage?

The defender "pushed him in the helmet". Fairly un-spectacular imo.

I think it has a lot more to do with the lack of control the refs had the entire game which allowed it to get incredibly, incredibly chippy. The players were on the edge and that put him over.

It of course shouldn't have, but that's what happens when you let a game get out of control like that.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I meant Fischer, not Shanny
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #283
RainMaker
General Manager

I defended them last week, but we need the old refs back. I know the NFL doesn't care about the product that much, but it's starting to hurt it.

Last edited by RainMaker : 09-16-2012 at 06:42 PM.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #284
Buccaneer
Head Coach

So people complain if the refs call too many fouls and complain when they don't call enough fouls?
Old 09-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #285
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
So people complain if the refs call too many fouls and complain when they don't call enough fouls?

I like how the replacement refs let them play a bit more, but they have no control over the games and no consistency. It's just terrible for the game.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:47 PM   #286
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Perhaps the Skins WR should not drop a 60 yard pass that hits him directly in the hands.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #287
TroyF
Coordinator

So let me get this straight. . . Flacco collapses and falls apart in the second half. He has the ball with 2 minutes left and two timeouts needing a FG and throws some of the worst passes in the clutch that I have ever seen and he wants to blame the replacement refs for ruining the integrity of the game?

in the same PFT article they say the game was over 3 and a half hours because of the refs. I guess it had NOTHING to do with Flacco having 20 incompletions in addition to about 12 injury timeouts to get players off the field, right?

Look, I watched that game from start to finish. It was not reffed well, but neither side had an advantage and the offensive PI call was clear cut. The refs did not cause Flacco to turn back into Joe Flacco in the second half, he did. Of course, the real refs never made a mistake either, have they Joe?

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZqlFBcPo7E&feature=related
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #288
TroyF
Coordinator

FWIW, after last weeks garbage comments about him always having good games and then these comments, I won't get sucked in by this jack ass again. Go to a team without Ray Rice and an average defense and nobody is debating if you are an elite QB Joe.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM   #289
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Flacco is garbage. I don't know who is responsible for the play calling there, but whoever it is need fired. They consistently throw in 3rd and short causing tons of punts. They have a RB, who may be the most talented player at his position in the league averaging over six yards a carry, and they don't call runs for him.

Flacco isn't a QB who can afford to have the defense expecting the pass the entire game and yet continue to pass, but someone thinks he is that guy. I don't know if it is the OC or Flacco calling his own plays and/or calling audibles at the LOS.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #290
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Here is part of Coach Schiano's explanation for the last play of the game.

"I don't know if that's not something that's done in the National Football League," Schiano said after the game. "What I do with our football team is that we fight until they tell us game over. And there's nothing dirty about it, there's nothing illegal about it. We crowd the ball like a sneak defense and try to knock it loose."

This explanation makes perfect sense to me.

In response to another comment, I saw the play and I wouldn't say they launched themselves at him. It wasn't a bunch of dirty hits at all.

Last edited by Jon : 09-16-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #291
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
FWIW, after last weeks garbage comments about him always having good games and then these comments, I won't get sucked in by this jack ass again. Go to a team without Ray Rice and an average defense and nobody is debating if you are an elite QB Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
Flacco is garbage. I don't know who is responsible for the play calling there, but whoever it is need fired. They consistently throw in 3rd and short causing tons of punts. They have a RB, who may be the most talented player at his position in the league averaging over six yards a carry, and they don't call runs for him.

Flacco isn't a QB who can afford to have the defense expecting the pass the entire game and yet continue to pass, but someone thinks he is that guy. I don't know if it is the OC or Flacco calling his own plays and/or calling audibles at the LOS.

I'm starting to wonder if Baltimore isn't completely sold on him and that's why they haven't offered him a long-term deal yet? The guy has all the tools to win a championship but seems to choke in the clutch most of the time.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:40 PM   #292
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I believe in Flacco's skills as a passer but he is not the right QB for Baltimore. He has a huge accurate arm, but their play calling is all over the place. Plus they haven't been good about getting him talented WR
Old 09-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #293
Danny
Head Coach

I dont agree. Smith, Boldin, Jones, Pitta, Dickson and Rice out of the backfield is a good amount of weaponry. There's no reason Flacco can't be very successful this year.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #294
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Another awful pass interference call, no way, I don't believe it!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #295
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I believe in Flacco's skills as a passer but he is not the right QB for Baltimore. He has a huge accurate arm, but their play calling is all over the place. Plus they haven't been good about getting him talented WR

See, I think they have gotten him very good WR/TE.

Boldin is a solid WR in the mid range game. Smith and Jones are both above average WR in this league. Not stars, but pretty darned good. Pitta is a solid TE who should break out this year. And of course he has Ray Rice to dump the ball off to anytime all of those guys are covered. I don't think weapons are his problem. I think he is the problem.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #296
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
This explanation makes perfect sense to me.

In response to another comment, I saw the play and I wouldn't say they launched themselves at him. It wasn't a bunch of dirty hits at all.
You're right, they didn't launch themselves at Manning. They did appear to launch themselves at the New York offensive line, though. I agree that the Bucs didn't do anything illegal on the play. I just think it was unnecessary.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #297
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Baltimore isn't completely sold on him and that's why they haven't offered him a long-term deal yet? The guy has all the tools to win a championship but seems to choke in the clutch most of the time.

But what's plan B? How many free agent QBs are out there that would be deemed an upgarde? Are they willing to go the path of of a rookie and hope for the best? I don't see a team willing to trade away a quality QB to them.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #298
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Way to completely change the argument from what's being said. Are you being difficult on purpose?

It's not about "too many" or "too few" penalties. It's about missing basic mechanics of the game. Whether it'sg iving an extra time out in the Seattle game last week, not calling a 15 yard penalty for a challenge when they can't challenge in the Skins game, simple mishandling of spotting the ball, managing the clock, etc, etc.

They are completely out of their league. There are moments where it's obvious they just have no idea what should be going on in the game and they miss very basic concepts. This is 100% not a "too many" or "too few" penalties problem.

Quote:
Old 09-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #299
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
But what's plan B? How many free agent QBs are out there that would be deemed an upgarde? Are they willing to go the path of of a rookie and hope for the best? I don't see a team willing to trade away a quality QB to them.

I'm not sure. But if I'm Baltimore, am I willing to give Flacco $16-17 million a year based on his body of work? Yeah, he's impressive to a point. But would he have made the playoffs four years in a row in Arizona or Miami?
Old 09-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #300
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Stafford looks like warmed garbage