Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

PS3 games

Now that I got a PS3 I'm going to have to try out some Sony exclusive games... Anybody have any suggestions? I heard Metal Gear 4, Killzone 2, and Little Big Planet are the games to get. (I already bought The Show )

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #2
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

I'm actually right there with you...just bought one (It's arriving today!) and I need to get some games. MGS4 is the only thing on my list. I already have The Show, as well.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #3
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

dola

Ratchet and Clank always looked pretty fun.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You could probably add Resistance and Resistance 2 to the list if you like shooters.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I love MGS4. I personally passed on LBP. Just didn't strike my sweet spot for some reason.

Killzone 2 is an absolute must. I'll be the first one to act shocked that a PS3 game finally lived up to the hype, but it's a great game and the online community is very strong.

I'd also recommend both of the Resistance games. You can pick up the first one for relatively cheap. Might want to hold off on the second one until it reduces in price a bit.

From the bargain bucket, I'd give Warhawk a nod. They just dropped the price to $19.99. There's still a large online community playing the game. I've put a ridiculous amount of time into this game.

Another thing to note is to watch every Thursday for the PSN store sales. They regularly slash the price of downloadable games by 50%. I've probably picked up 8-10 downloadable games for $5 or less. PAIN is a blast to play with friends. High Velocity Bowling is also very good. Pixel Junk Monsters is also a big seller and a lot of fun. All of those games have been on sale before and will be again if you're patient.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

Although not technically games, there was a big development in the last couple of weeks on the Blu-ray front. Disney is now including a DVD version of each movie in the Blu-ray versions going forward. Other studios are expected to follow that lead.

This was done to cover the situation where people weren't buying movies because they didn't want to have a Blu-ray movie that was unplayable in their portable players that they use for travel and kid entertainment. This is a move that should make the Blu-ray decision much easier for parents and business travelers as it is adopted industry-wide.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-11-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Obviously you've started off well by buying the Show.

Valkyria Chronicles is a good strategy game/RPG and has a unique graphical style that looks really cool, like the game uses colored pencils almost.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is a good off-road racing game with online, it's kind of difficult but not unfairly so.

MGS4 is definitely one to look into if you liked previous MGS games.

LittleBigPlanet should have been great but I didn't like it nearly as much as I thought I would. The three tracks on each plane thing was obnoxious and the jumping just didn't feel right to me which is not good for a platformer.

Dual-analog FPS/TPS aren't my thing but Killzone 2 is highly regarded as others have said, plus it's the best looking console game of all time.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Although not technically games, there was a big development in the last couple of weeks on the Blu-ray front. Disney is now including a DVD version of each movie in the Blu-ray versions going forward. Other studios are expected to follow that lead.

I noticed that, and it may be the straw that finally pushes me over the Blu-Ray edge. That and the fact that cable keeps compressing their HD selections enough that I'm sick of macro-blocking in the action movies I love so much...
Old 03-11-2009, 11:54 AM   #9
twothree
College Prospect

While not exclusive, the games I have been playing the most on the PS3 are Burnout Paradise and Fallout 3.

I keep meaning to get back into the PS3 exclusive Disgaea 3, but the turn based battle strategy game I have been playing is Pokemon on the nintendo DS.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #10
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Now that I got a PS3 I'm going to have to try out some Sony exclusive games... Anybody have any suggestions? I heard Metal Gear 4, Killzone 2, and Little Big Planet are the games to get. (I already bought The Show )

My desert island 5 for the PS3 right now, in no particular order:

Burnout Paradise
Disgaea 3
Ratchet & Clank
MLB The Show
LittleBIGPlanet
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
My desert island 5 for the PS3 right now, in no particular order:

Burnout Paradise
Disgaea 3
Ratchet & Clank
MLB The Show
LittleBIGPlanet

I bought Burnout Paradise for $20 at Target the other day. Thought it was a good price. Haven't fired it up yet since I bought The Show at the same time. I'll get to it at some point.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
samifan24
Pro Starter

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is an awesome game. I practically camped out at my buddy's place to finish the game. I don't have a PS3 but that would be the first game I'd buy if I did. NHL 09 is also really good, too.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is an awesome game. I practically camped out at my buddy's place to finish the game. I don't have a PS3 but that would be the first game I'd buy if I did. NHL 09 is also really good, too.

I plan on buying a PS3 within the next two weeks and I'm torn whether to get the 160gb version that comes with this for the extra 100 bucks. I can't imagine I'll use up the 80gb of space on the small version so it feels like I'm paying an extra 100 for the game and just in case.

If I do nothing with movies/music, is there any way I come close to doing 80 gb filled?
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:34 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
I plan on buying a PS3 within the next two weeks and I'm torn whether to get the 160gb version that comes with this for the extra 100 bucks. I can't imagine I'll use up the 80gb of space on the small version so it feels like I'm paying an extra 100 for the game and just in case.

If I do nothing with movies/music, is there any way I come close to doing 80 gb filled?

I would buy the 80 GB version. If you use the movie service, the bigger drive might come in handy. But for just gaming, the 80 GB should be plenty. Obviously, you can also get Drake's Fortune relatively cheap. I have completed Drake's Fortune. It's a lot of fun. The comparison has been made many times, but it's very much like a good Indiana Jones flick.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
rowech
Pro Starter

How much space does an HD movie that's been downloaded take up?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

A list of the titles that have passed my way with large HD requirements:

Bioshock: 5 GB
Devil May Cry 4: 4.9 GB
GTA IV: 3.3 GB
Heavenly Sword: 2.1 GB
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds: 4 GB
Medal of Honor: Airborne: 1.9 GB
Metal Gear Solid 4: 4.6 GB
MLB The Show 08: 2 GB (I don't have 09 yet, but I would treat 08 as the minimum baseline)
MLB 2k9: 5.5 GB
Prince of Persia: 2 GB
Saints Row 2: 3.8 GB
TopSpin 3: 3 GB

That comes to, um...42.1 GB just on the install files. Granted, you can delete them when you aren't playing the game, and reinstall them later, but that's a pain in the ass.

Downloadable content, such as game demos, can run between 300 MB to 1.5 GB each, but those specifically are more transient in nature. Things like tracks for Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or DLC for LittleBIGPlanet will vary as well but tend not to be 'delete when you're not using them' items.

Is it possible to fill the hard drive if you're not farting around with music and video? Sure, but the example I just laid out is pretty extreme.

Something else to think about is that you can find 2.5" SATA hard drives - that's what the PS3 uses - fairly inexpensively. A quick glance at shopping.google.com and TigerDirect turned up some such hard drives, 320 GB, for around $70-80. Uncharted seems to still be priced fairly high - $40 used at GameStop.

Even so, if you picked up a 320 GB for $80 and a used copy of Uncharted for $35-40, you're really only out another $20 or so versus buying the 160 GB model, and with double the space, if you decided you really needed it.

Me, I'd probably go with the 80 knowing that I could expand it later if I needed to.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
How much space does an HD movie that's been downloaded take up?

Depends on the movie. I'd say probably 1.5 - 2 GB in size, but there may be some larger (depending on length).
Old 03-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #18
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
A list of the titles that have passed my way with large HD requirements:

Bioshock: 5 GB
Devil May Cry 4: 4.9 GB
GTA IV: 3.3 GB
Heavenly Sword: 2.1 GB
Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds: 4 GB
Medal of Honor: Airborne: 1.9 GB
Metal Gear Solid 4: 4.6 GB
MLB The Show 08: 2 GB (I don't have 09 yet, but I would treat 08 as the minimum baseline)
MLB 2k9: 5.5 GB
Prince of Persia: 2 GB
Saints Row 2: 3.8 GB
TopSpin 3: 3 GB

That comes to, um...42.1 GB just on the install files. Granted, you can delete them when you aren't playing the game, and reinstall them later, but that's a pain in the ass.

Downloadable content, such as game demos, can run between 300 MB to 1.5 GB each, but those specifically are more transient in nature. Things like tracks for Guitar Hero/Rock Band, or DLC for LittleBIGPlanet will vary as well but tend not to be 'delete when you're not using them' items.

Is it possible to fill the hard drive if you're not farting around with music and video? Sure, but the example I just laid out is pretty extreme.

Something else to think about is that you can find 2.5" SATA hard drives - that's what the PS3 uses - fairly inexpensively. A quick glance at shopping.google.com and TigerDirect turned up some such hard drives, 320 GB, for around $70-80. Uncharted seems to still be priced fairly high - $40 used at GameStop.

Even so, if you picked up a 320 GB for $80 and a used copy of Uncharted for $35-40, you're really only out another $20 or so versus buying the 160 GB model, and with double the space, if you decided you really needed it.

Me, I'd probably go with the 80 knowing that I could expand it later if I needed to.

I didn't realize the games would take up that much space just to be able to play them. That could be a pain in the butt. I also didn't realize you could expand that hard drive later on with something that isn't originally designed for the system.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM   #19
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
I didn't realize the games would take up that much space just to be able to play them. That could be a pain in the butt. I also didn't realize you could expand that hard drive later on with something that isn't originally designed for the system.

It's because the Blu-ray drive reads about as quickly as a DVD drive does, but a Blu-ray disc holds much, much more. If they didn't install stuff to the hard drive, they'd either have to skimp on visual quality or load times would take forever.

As to the latter, the PS3 actually *was* designed that way. The manual tells you how to do it and everything. It just has to be a 2.5" SATA internal drive.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:20 PM   #20
rowech
Pro Starter

Are there any other little things that this thing does/has/doesn't do that I may not be aware of?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #21
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Are there any other little things that this thing does/has/doesn't do that I may not be aware of?

Upconverts your DVDs. That's nice from a space-saver perspective.

Other than that, you've pretty much got the high points - plays PS3 games, some PS1 games, has downloadable games/videos from PSN, plays music, displays pictures, plays Blu-ray discs.

I'll tell you, when I sell these things, I generally recommend 3, maybe 4 things with it.

1) HDMI or component video cable if you have an HDTV.

2) 2nd controller

3) external means of charging the two controllers and/or a pair of long USB-mini USB cables so you can plug in if they die while you're in mid-game. I really, really can't emphasize enough the external charger, because the PS3 won't charge the controllers in standby mode. If you're like MBBF and want to contribute CPU cycles to Folding@Home, fine, but if you're like me and are more conscious of electric usage (bills suck, and the PS3 uses a *lot* of juice), you'll want some other way to recharge. A PC will do it, the Wii can do it (although the 360 won't; the 360 can charge the headset and keypad, but not the DualShock), an iPod charger can do it...all of those are viable. But the PS3 will only do it when fully powered on.

4) The bluetooth remote. This is useful for two things:

4a) More convenient to do things like turn subtitles on and off, fool with camera angles, etc. If you're not the kind of movie watcher who fiddles with that stuff, then most of the remote's convenience goes out the window.

4b) Because it's bluetooth, the remote can turn the PS3 on and off. Again, more useful if you leave it in standby when not in use. If you shut it down completely, as I do, that's kind of a useless perk.

That's why #4 is a 'maybe' recommend for me, but the top three items are definite.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:53 AM   #22
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

3) external means of charging the two controllers and/or a pair of long USB-mini USB cables so you can plug in if they die while you're in mid-game. I really, really can't emphasize enough the external charger, because the PS3 won't charge the controllers in standby mode. If you're like MBBF and want to contribute CPU cycles to Folding@Home, fine, but if you're like me and are more conscious of electric usage (bills suck, and the PS3 uses a *lot* of juice), you'll want some other way to recharge. A PC will do it, the Wii can do it (although the 360 won't; the 360 can charge the headset and keypad, but not the DualShock), an iPod charger can do it...all of those are viable. But the PS3 will only do it when fully powered on.

I didn't know about the controllers. That definitely stinks they don't have a removable battery pack like the 360. You're saying I can just plug them into a computer to charge them though?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
4) The bluetooth remote. This is useful for two things:

The stupid bluetooth remote is the one thing that would have me buy a regular Blu-Ray over a PS3. If my Harmony remote can't support it, I'm not keeping track of a second remote just for this one box.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #24
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
dola

This was done to cover the situation where people weren't buying movies because they didn't want to have a Blu-ray movie that was unplayable in their portable players that they use for travel and kid entertainment. This is a move that should make the Blu-ray decision much easier for parents and business travelers as it is adopted industry-wide.
But this also makes these companies feel they can continue to charge $30 for Blue Rays because you are now getting added "value"...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #25
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

You can always do what I did which is just buy a 250gb notebook hard drive and install it yourself. Much cheaper then wasting 100 bucks on a 160 gb hard drive. And it's majorly easy and should NOT void your warranty.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:56 AM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

The one thing that lead me to do my upgrade on day one was that in order to move all your content (game saves etc) you'd need an external drive, which I don't currently have, so I just bought a new HD immediately to prevent the need to buy a drive and an external drive when I would do it in the future.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:01 AM   #27
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
U

Do you mean if won't charge when the PS3 is "switched" off? As in you have flipped the switch? Because I'm pretty sure mine charges while its powered off and the switch is on.

Also another thing that the PS3 has that I thought was neat is that the controllers have accellerators in them so they can sense motion, I had forgot they did that.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But this also makes these companies feel they can continue to charge $30 for Blue Rays because you are now getting added "value"...

This is mythical at best. There are literally hundreds BR titles under $20. Amazon just offered both Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio (BR + DVD) for $27 shipped. If you're spending any more than $25 for even the newest of releases, you're a lousy bargain finder. Even retail stores are offering deals on BR discs for under $20.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #29
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Do you mean if won't charge when the PS3 is "switched" off? As in you have flipped the switch? Because I'm pretty sure mine charges while its powered off and the switch is on.

If the console is on but in standby mode (red light is on), the controllers/headsets will not charge if plugged into the PS3.

I purchased one of the charger accessories that holds 4 controllers and plugs directly into the wall. You can find them for $20-25. They help a lot.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #30
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:

Also another thing that the PS3 has that I thought was neat is that the controllers have accellerators in them so they can sense motion, I had forgot they did that.

I don't think my controller charges with the console in stand by mode. I could be mistaken, but I remember thinking it was kind of stupid that it didn't.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #31
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
This is mythical at best. There are literally hundreds BR titles under $20. Amazon just offered both Sleeping Beauty and Pinocchio (BR + DVD) for $27 shipped. If you're spending any more than $25 for even the newest of releases, you're a lousy bargain finder. Even retail stores are offering deals on BR discs for under $20.

I'm talking about normal retail price. Deals are deals, but the problem is that the retail price is higher for Blue-rays then DVDs which is ridiculous. Even Engadget has had stories about this posted on their site. In fact the "list price" for a new Blue-Ray movie such as Role Models on Target is $39.98, whereas the DVD "list price" is $29.98, should there really be a $10 markup on Blue-Ray? Yes it's the newest format, yes this is the same thing that happened when they made people convert from VHS to DVD, but the problem is that with every advancement in technology that enables them to knock the prices up and then they keep them at the price. Are there deals? Sure, but not everyone is looking to always get a movie for the best deal possible, plus let's not forget that if you purchase online 1/2 the time you are going to have to pay for shipping and wait 7-15 days for the movie to arrive.

Last edited by DanGarion : 03-12-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #32
DanGarion
Coordinator

Just an FYI, it appears that Amazon is having a "big" sale on some BR titles this week.

Blu-ray Sale: Over 300 Blu-ray Discs as Low as $13.99
Old 03-12-2009, 11:26 AM   #33
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm talking about normal retail price. Deals are deals, but the problem is that the retail price is higher for Blue-rays then DVDs which is ridiculous. Even Engadget has had stories about this posted on their site. In fact the "list price" for a new Blue-Ray movie such as Role Models on Target is $39.98, whereas the DVD "list price" is $29.98, should there really be a $10 markup on Blue-Ray? Yes it's the newest format, yes this is the same thing that happened when they made people convert from VHS to DVD, but the problem is that with every advancement in technology that enables them to knock the prices up and then they keep them at the price. Are their deals? Sure, but not everyone is looking to always get a movie for the best deal possible, plus let's not forget that if you purchase online 1/2 the time you are going to have to pay for shipping and wait 7-15 days for the movie to arrive.

Those suggested retail prices are nothing more than phantom numbers. They have no basis in reality or any relevance to pricing. If someone wants to buy a BR for $35 without shopping around, more power to them. Similarly, anyone who purchases anything online and pays for shipping is just as foolish. There's search engines everywhere to search for the best price. If people don't use those tools, it's their own fault.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #34
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Just an FYI, it appears that Amazon is having a "big" sale on some BR titles this week.

Blu-ray Sale: Over 300 Blu-ray Discs as Low as $13.99

Also, here's a tool that searches for great deals on an hourly basis.......

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies and Releases - New Blu-ray Deals
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #35
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Those suggested retail prices are nothing more than phantom numbers. They have no basis in reality or any relevance to pricing. If someone wants to buy a BR for $35 without shopping around, more power to them. Similarly, anyone who purchases anything online and pays for shipping is just as foolish. There's search engines everywhere to search for the best price. If people don't use those tools, it's their own fault.
No basis, really? That's why the sale prices for BR are still higher then the sale prices for DVD?
Old 03-12-2009, 11:31 AM   #36
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, here's a tool that searches for great deals on an hourly basis.......

Blu-ray.com - Blu-ray Movies and Releases - New Blu-ray Deals

I'm much more of a DeepDiscount fan myself www.DeepDiscount.com ®- DVDs, Blu-ray, HD DVD, CDs, Books, Video Games and more

Sorry meant to say DVD Price Search, http://www.dvdpricesearch.com/

DeepDiscount is usually pretty good too though.

Last edited by DanGarion : 03-12-2009 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
rowech
Pro Starter

Here's what I plan to buy...can someone confirm this is what I should go with and if there's anything else I need?

80 gb version
extra controller

the following charger:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218007401533

the following remote:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1165610937857

Should I buy something else and/or something different than what I'm buying?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think they're doing the sony card thing where if you sign up for a card at Sonystyle you can get a 200 dollar credit if you buy something there. Just takes a few months for that credit to post i think. But basically an 80gig ps3 for 200 bucks.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
SackAttack
Head Coach

That's the exact package I recommend to people who buy a PS3 from me when I'm working at Best Buy, rowech.

What I like about the Energizer charger is that it has room for two controllers to dock on it, as you see in the picture, but it also has - and you can't see this from that angle - two USB ports that you can plug additional devices into - headset, keyboard, two more controllers, other USB-powered devices, whatever.

There is a Sony charger that's slightly cheaper than that one, but only supports two devices at a time, and via USB plug-in. No dock to keep your controllers stationed while you aren't using them. If you think you'll ever use the extra two ports on the one you linked to, buy it. It's only $5 more than the Sony charger.

If you can unequivocally say that you never will need more than two ports, get the official Sony one and save yourself $5:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218045947151

That's the only difference between the two, though, is $5 more for the Energizer, and for that you get the ability to charge two additional devices.

Do you plan to play PS3 games online? If so, consider a Bluetooth headset. The Jabra BT125 came bundled with Warhawk before it went Greatest Hits, but I'm almost certain you can find one of those for about ten bucks. Woot has sold them for that price in the past, I know.

Best Buy doesn't seem to carry the 125 any longer, but they do have the 2040, which is the model after the 125, for $19.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1193234002034

That'll work just fine with the PS3. The only real reason to buy the official PS3 headset is the docking cradle, and I'm sorry, that ain't worth $50. If you get the Energizer charger, you can simply plug the headset into that, problem solved.

Other than that, don't forget to pick up either a PS3 component video cable or an HDMI cable. I assume because you didn't list those that you already have that taken care of, but a reminder never hurt. Oh, and hook the PS3 up with component/HDMI when you take it out of the box. If you screw around with the composite first, you'll get a black screen when you switch to the HD cables, and then it's a minor pain in the ass to reboot the system and set everything up again.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #40
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think they're doing the sony card thing where if you sign up for a card at Sonystyle you can get a 200 dollar credit if you buy something there. Just takes a few months for that credit to post i think. But basically an 80gig ps3 for 200 bucks.

I'm going to go with the Dell deal someone posted elsewhere. $320 for the system.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #41
billethius
Mascot

Quote:
I'm going to go with the Dell deal someone posted elsewhere. $320 for the system.

Yeah, that's the exact deal I went with. Mine would have been delivered yesterday, which is normally a day I telecommute. Unfortunately, I had to come into the office, so they're trying again today. Unfortunately, I'm here again and my fiance has to leave for work at 2, so there's a good chance I'll miss the UPS guy again. Thankfully, I'll be home all day tomorrow

I just need to stop and pick up The Show on my way home.
billethius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #42
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's the exact package I recommend to people who buy a PS3 from me when I'm working at Best Buy, rowech.

What I like about the Energizer charger is that it has room for two controllers to dock on it, as you see in the picture, but it also has - and you can't see this from that angle - two USB ports that you can plug additional devices into - headset, keyboard, two more controllers, other USB-powered devices, whatever.

There is a Sony charger that's slightly cheaper than that one, but only supports two devices at a time, and via USB plug-in. No dock to keep your controllers stationed while you aren't using them. If you think you'll ever use the extra two ports on the one you linked to, buy it. It's only $5 more than the Sony charger.

If you can unequivocally say that you never will need more than two ports, get the official Sony one and save yourself $5:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218045947151

That's the only difference between the two, though, is $5 more for the Energizer, and for that you get the ability to charge two additional devices.

Do you plan to play PS3 games online? If so, consider a Bluetooth headset. The Jabra BT125 came bundled with Warhawk before it went Greatest Hits, but I'm almost certain you can find one of those for about ten bucks. Woot has sold them for that price in the past, I know.

Best Buy doesn't seem to carry the 125 any longer, but they do have the 2040, which is the model after the 125, for $19.99:

That'll work just fine with the PS3. The only real reason to buy the official PS3 headset is the docking cradle, and I'm sorry, that ain't worth $50. If you get the Energizer charger, you can simply plug the headset into that, problem solved.

Other than that, don't forget to pick up either a PS3 component video cable or an HDMI cable. I assume because you didn't list those that you already have that taken care of, but a reminder never hurt. Oh, and hook the PS3 up with component/HDMI when you take it out of the box. If you screw around with the composite first, you'll get a black screen when you switch to the HD cables, and then it's a minor pain in the ass to reboot the system and set everything up again.

Yeah...HDMI is already taken care of.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:08 AM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

Just wanted to note that I'd pass on the BT125 model. It's not a very good headset and the sound quality is poor. The official headset is VERY good and there's no need to pay $50 for it. You can get it with purchase of SOCOM: Confrontation or EndWar as a $60 package. As SackAttack mentioned, there are other headsets available that will work just fine. Just don't get the BT125. I have one. It's not good.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #44
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, and hook the PS3 up with component/HDMI when you take it out of the box. If you screw around with the composite first, you'll get a black screen when you switch to the HD cables, and then it's a minor pain in the ass to reboot the system and set everything up again.

Funny thing, I hooked up HDMI first and mine was black screen, so I had to mess with it on composite to change it to HDMI.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #45
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just wanted to note that I'd pass on the BT125 model. It's not a very good headset and the sound quality is poor. The official headset is VERY good and there's no need to pay $50 for it. You can get it with purchase of SOCOM: Confrontation or EndWar as a $60 package. As SackAttack mentioned, there are other headsets available that will work just fine. Just don't get the BT125. I have one. It's not good.

Too bad SOCOM: Confrontation is a waste of money IMO. I rented it and it was horrible, mainly because there was no one online playing it.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Too bad SOCOM: Confrontation is a waste of money IMO. I rented it and it was horrible, mainly because there was no one online playing it.

The online community is actually pretty good now. Most of the problem before was that no one could get logged in. They've finally worked out those kinks and it's pretty stable. But it is a game that's not for everyone.

I personally would buy Endwar just because I'm not a huge SOCOM fan.
Old 03-13-2009, 10:51 AM   #47
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Maybe I was on at a bad time, because I rented it two weeks ago and no one was on. I think it was possible to have 16 v 16 or at least 8 v 8 and the best I ever got into was 4 v 4. And that was after it took literally 15 minutes to get into that 4 v 4.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #48
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Has anybody downloaded the Red Baron Online Demo or full game yet? Sounds good, but I didn't have a chance last night to give the demo a try.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 03-13-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:35 PM   #49
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Funny thing, I hooked up HDMI first and mine was black screen, so I had to mess with it on composite to change it to HDMI.

Alternative would've been to do a hard reboot on the system.

Very funky. Surprised it did that to you.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:36 PM   #50
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

The official headset rapes my inner ear, though. That's another reason I'm not really all that fond of it.

Sound quality is good (once you hit the button to turn the volume UP instead of all the way DOWN. Dunno why up is on the bottom if it's in the left ear), but it's painful to wear for any length of time.

The BT125 was at least comfortable when I used it with Warhawk.