Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > The Front Office Offseason League (FOFC's OOTP House League)
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #101
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Last day of the regular season. Standings (I didn't sim the game yet)

STANDINGS AS OF SEPTEMBER 25, 2008

Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Atlanta Firecrackers 103 58 .640 - Valdosta Peanuts 97 64 .602 6.0 Brooklyn Brownstones 85 76 .528 18.0 Montreal Majestics 81 80 .503 22.0 Baltimore Gothams 61 100 .379 42.0 Napa Valley Winemakers 56 105 .348 47.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Colorado Rancheros 90 71 .559 - Boston Settlers 89 72 .553 1.0 Compton Brothers 85 76 .528 5.0 Hartford Harpooners 83 78 .516 7.0 Detroit Wolverines 71 90 .441 19.0 New York Heroes 65 96 .404 25.0

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-21-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #102
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
Oh and hit SAVE!

;- )

Got it!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #103
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Damn. That sucks. I think I'd prefer the compensatory pick over the four team playoffs. Even though it's a downer that we won't be in the postseason, it seems like it would be more fair to keep it a two team playoff. It was a crapshoot the first time around anyway, we just couldn't get lucky twice
buckinbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #104
Tasan
College Starter

Crap. At this moment, I've gotta leave too. I'm fine with whatever you guys decide, if you need to decide right now.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #105
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Plus my farm is kinda shitty
Old 02-21-2009, 12:46 PM   #106
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So here are your scenarios:

Discuss amongst yourselves. I felt like a crazy year should be made more crazy with something we'd never normally do, but also because it's probably the most sensible solution of all of them...but ATL and VAL have the most "to lose" in this scenario, since they were in either way.

I'll go along with whatever to get past this year, even if it means losing the home field advantage I originally had or adding more teams for this year only.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 PM   #107
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

I think just giving us an extra pick should work fine. Everybody else that was in the first time is in this time. Granted the seeding is switched around a little bit.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #108
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Hopefully, Compton will have the grace to accept "technical difficulties" as an explanation and there won't have to be anything done. It is what it is. If DC wasn't nice enough to post the progress reports, no one would be the wiser anyway. Everyone always uses that when any other issues have come up, why should a team which is a bubble playoff team get a draft pick to help them get better?
TimGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 PM   #109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I needed to get the file out to you all and basically, it's a situation where "everyone" gets screwed in one way or another.

It's like 1966 where we just had to do something to get the season done. So here's what I did.

I did expand the playoffs for this season only. If nothing else, it'll give us something else to talk about. Think of it as the strike season of 1981, only better, because it's FOOL.

The Division Series will be a best-of-seven game series. But the home/away split is 2-5. Meaning the team with the better record gets 5 games at home, but the first two games of the series are @ the road team.

Then the other two rounds will be played as normal.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #110
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I uploaded the file with the last game not played. OOTP won't set the playoff brackets until it's played. It's not up yet, but it will be,.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-21-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:56 PM   #111
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

Well the playoffs should be interesting in the RL. Just to be clear I would not have cared if we were not compensated for missing the playoffs the second time around. I was just choosing between the two options that DC gave us further up the thread. To me it would be less upsetting to just throw us a pick rather than do a four team playoff, but I am up for anything
Old 02-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I went ahead and uploaded the file with one day to go in the season to give myself a chance to decide what I wanted to do. I realized that this is one of those things that's hard to ask owners because well, I know I'd have a difficult time answering the question if it were thrown to me as an owner.

Which is why I'm not an owner as Commissioner. So here's the decision:

Compton, Hartford, Brooklyn and Montreal should prepare their rosters for the playoffs. We'll do expanded playoffs for this season only.

I won't take playoff instructions from those teams unless they advance to the FOOL Classic.

I feel like that's a fair way to handicap the race, along with the home field situation in the Division Series.

But it'll also be fun for the league and interesting, after what amounted to a rat race of a season. So there you go. File is at 57%

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-21-2009 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #113
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

In the future, if we have re-sims, the re-sim result stands as the final result and the past results will simply have to be erased from your memory a la Men In Black.

We've never really had a scenario in place for this before, because we've managed 35+ seasons of no technical difficulties or at least, the kinds that force us to do major re-sims.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #114
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

File is up!
Old 02-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #115
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Sounds like a fair solution, and not just because we decided not to party after the All-Star break and instead play some baseball on the second sim.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #116
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Nice to see 39 year old 3B Tomas Santos make the All-Star game, hit .374 (OPS .392, VORP 66.8) and steal 66 bases for us. He is just not ready to give this game up yet.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #117
buckinbranco
High School Varsity

If Compton doesn't win the Classic, I hope Hartford does. It would add to the weirdness to have a team that wouldn't have made the playoffs under normal circumstances during the first or second sim win it all.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:16 PM   #118
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, what a weird season sim. And I ended up going ahead of Alan by almost as much as I was behind him in the first sim. Weird.

FTR, I am fine with the decisions made. I am guessing Alan is, too. I suppose we're the two teams that could get screwed the worst, but I think the advantages given will be tough to overcome. And if they overcome them anyway, well, that's the way it goes.

I will admit, this is easier for me to say now, since I finished with the best record this year (second time) and won it all last year. Fortunately, I don't have to think about if I would have been more upset in other scenariors.

Good luck to everyone!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:34 PM   #119
Tasan
College Starter

I get Hartford, of all teams, for my initial playoff series I think. That series has a little history. I only wish muns was there so it would be a proper dogfight, but I'll take the new guy and see what he's got.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

For the lovacr...

Jeff Patton, my star 1B uber prospect, got hit by that stupid Harmon bug this season! His Contact Potential was 126 overall, and hitting from the right side was his specialty. Now he's at 38 CON vs RHP.

Can I get this fixed before the playoffs, or do I have to play through this for the playoffs and get it fixed after the postseason?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #121
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I need to sim that last game of the season and get a new file up. If I don't, the RL playoff matchups could not work right. Because, if Colorado loses and Boston wins, the game will force a one-game playoff to determine who gets 1st place.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #122
TimGuru
High School Varsity

In reply to tasan, obv'ly:

Um....If muns were running Hartford, he'd have about 109 wins and this wouldn't be relevant.

Last edited by TimGuru : 02-21-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
For the lovacr...

Jeff Patton, my star 1B uber prospect, got hit by that stupid Harmon bug this season! His Contact Potential was 126 overall, and hitting from the right side was his specialty. Now he's at 38 CON vs RHP.

Can I get this fixed before the playoffs, or do I have to play through this for the playoffs and get it fixed after the postseason?

Remind me after the postseason, because there might be others who have situations like this and I'd rather do them all at once.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #124
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I need to sim that last game of the season and get a new file up. If I don't, the RL playoff matchups could not work right. Because, if Colorado loses and Boston wins, the game will force a one-game playoff to determine who gets 1st place.

And that's just a stupid OOTP quirk that I just remembered.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:38 PM   #125
TimGuru
High School Varsity

Quote:
For the lovacr...

Does this supposedly not happen in leagues with injuries turned on? Maybe we should put injuries to their lowest possible setting, and then the randomness factor would spread out among worser (well, all) rather than better-er players.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #126
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

OMFG...not just Patton!

RF Travis Matteson, was also hit vs RHP in both Contact and in K's. I have never seen it hit K's before (but, DC, please check Patton's K's, which are low, but I think they were low anyway and the Potential is just fine).

Matteson was blue Potentials across the board. In case you're wondering, yes, he had that RHP/LHP rating split before. He has been slow developing versus lefties.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #127
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimGuru View Post
Does this supposedly not happen in leagues with injuries turned on? Maybe we should put injuries to their lowest possible setting, and then the randomness factor would spread out among worser (well, all) rather than better-er players.

This does not happen in injuries leagues, according to the Chancellor. But if we turn injuries on in FOOL, we'd have to expand rosters as a result and that'd change the complexion of how the league works.

I think the status quo remedy is fine.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #128
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
OMFG...not just Patton!

RF Travis Matteson, was also hit vs RHP in both Contact and in K's. I have never seen it hit K's before (but, DC, please check Patton's K's, which are low, but I think they were low anyway and the Potential is just fine).

Matteson was blue Potentials across the board. In case you're wondering, yes, he had that RHP/LHP rating split before. He has been slow developing versus lefties.

Maybe the game just hates you.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:40 PM   #129
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I upload the HTML after ST each season, so the player's cards should be accurate to their pre-hit ratings. I just hope it's not a recurring thing that we'll have 50 or so players with the same problem.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-21-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #130
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

As it turns out, Colorado and Boston played each other in the last game of the season. So crisis averted, as Colorado won 12-1 and as such, will be the #1 seed in the post-season. New file to come.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #131
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

2008 REGULAR SEASON STANDINGS, FINAL
Code:
Continental League Standings W L PCT GB Atlanta Firecrackers 103 59 .636 - Valdosta Peanuts 98 64 .605 5.0 Brooklyn Brownstones 86 76 .531 17.0 Montreal Majestics 81 81 .500 22.0 Baltimore Gothams 62 100 .383 41.0 Napa Valley Winemakers 56 106 .346 47.0 Republic League Standings W L PCT GB Colorado Rancheros 91 71 .562 - Boston Settlers 89 73 .549 2.0 Compton Brothers 86 76 .531 5.0 Hartford Harpooners 84 78 .519 7.0 Detroit Wolverines 71 91 .438 20.0 New York Heroes 65 97 .401 26.0
Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM   #132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Apparently. So I have to go through the postseason with both of these guys like this? Meh...

Old 02-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #133
Tasan
College Starter

We had a perfect game this year! It wasn't in the resim timeframe either, so even better. Crazylegs Gonzalez of Valdosta k'ed 8 over 9 innning of perfect pitching to do it. Congrats!
Old 02-21-2009, 03:54 PM   #134
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This does not happen in injuries leagues, according to the Chancellor. But if we turn injuries on in FOOL, we'd have to expand rosters as a result and that'd change the complexion of how the league works.

I think the status quo remedy is fine.

This isn't related to the injuries being turned off. Markus once long ago said it was, but then it ended up being something completely different.

It is just a stupid bug that they were able to replicate, but couldn't get a fix in before the "last patch" for ootp9. If it is not fixed in ootp10, I'll scream bloody murder at them.

The reason it is not seen often in other leagues is most leagues don't have the talent capped like this one. The only reason we see this bug is because our talent levels are way too high.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:55 PM   #135
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

So then I need to redo the playoff export I submitted a while ago? Not a problem, I've got time, but I wanted to be sure.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #136
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
So then I need to redo the playoff export I submitted a while ago? Not a problem, I've got time, but I wanted to be sure.

Yeah, you will. I'll let you know when it's up.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #137
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
This isn't related to the injuries being turned off. Markus once long ago said it was, but then it ended up being something completely different.

It is just a stupid bug that they were able to replicate, but couldn't get a fix in before the "last patch" for ootp9. If it is not fixed in ootp10, I'll scream bloody murder at them.

The reason it is not seen often in other leagues is most leagues don't have the talent capped like this one. The only reason we see this bug is because our talent levels are way too high.

Markus said in the thread you created back in the day, that the rollover bug was intentional. Was he just making that up? Not that I care...
Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #138
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:

This season sucked (again) but that callous response to Chief's serious issues made me laugh out loud...so at least that was worth it.

Oh yeah, and nice job to everyone that didn't suck!
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #139
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Apparently. So I have to go through the postseason with both of these guys like this? Meh...

Per the other thread on this:

Quote:
Synopsis of what we voted in last time:

1. GM identifies a suspected player who got hammered.
2. GM calls to commish's attention before the Monday sim.
3. Commish tries to verify that the change is this week (presumably DC keeps the pre-Friday file renamed and stored somewhere else?)
4. Once verified, commish sets the value to X (I believe Alan knew how to tweak the figures in the back ground that X became a number that was still awesome but not so awesome that it could get hit again). GM is notified and confirms in the Monday download that things are ok.
5. Commish's judgement is final, and all notifications are to be by PM, and not argued in the court of public opinion if the commish's ruling is unfavorable. (This is not a shot at Chief, because this needed to be brought to our attnetion again).
6. Note that 1+2 place the burden on the GM to identify and ask for relief the week the drop happens. If the commish checks his "thursday" file and finds the rating to be the same as it is currently, the player is washed up and German Logic wins.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #140
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Markus said in the thread you created back in the day, that the rollover bug was intentional. Was he just making that up? Not that I care...

What he later clarified it to mean is that when you have leagues with injuries turned off, there will be players that suddenly start tanking for no reason as if they had an injury. (ie: all of their ratings suddenly drop some such as from 95 to 75 or something).

What was determined later on is that this bug is due to the numbers on one side rolling over from 250 to 0 because in one counter they count up to 255, but in another they only count to 250 and evidentally that broke something internally.

I asked and asked for them to fix it, but they just ignored it and instead chose to use the last few patches to break other things and then re-fix them instead.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #141
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachEnEspanol View Post
This season sucked (again) but that callous response to Chief's serious issues made me laugh out loud...so at least that was worth it.

Oh yeah, and nice job to everyone that didn't suck!

I was just joking. I just didn't put a smiley on it, because I was trying to be dry. I started to edit it, but didn't. Meen Commish.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #142
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
What he later clarified it to mean is that when you have leagues with injuries turned off, there will be players that suddenly start tanking for no reason as if they had an injury. (ie: all of their ratings suddenly drop some such as from 95 to 75 or something).

What was determined later on is that this bug is due to the numbers on one side rolling over from 250 to 0 because in one counter they count up to 255, but in another they only count to 250 and evidentally that broke something internally.

I asked and asked for them to fix it, but they just ignored it and instead chose to use the last few patches to break other things and then re-fix them instead.

Oh okay. Gotcha. That makes a lot more sense, then.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #143
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
We had a perfect game this year! It wasn't in the resim timeframe either, so even better. Crazylegs Gonzalez of Valdosta k'ed 8 over 9 innning of perfect pitching to do it. Congrats!

That guy is simply NOT HUMAN.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:02 PM   #144
TeachEnEspanol
College Starter

Quote:
I was just joking. I just didn't put a smiley on it, because I was trying to be dry. I started to edit it, but didn't. Meen Commish.

No I totally know how you meant it. I'm sure Chief is fine. It was just so harsh and unexpected that I burst out laughing. Truthfully, I needed the pick-me-up.
TeachEnEspanol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #145
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

New file is up.

If you submitted before, please submit another export with this file, as it is different. Luckily, you have another 29 or so hours to get your file together. So fear not.

Good luck to everyone.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:05 PM   #146
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh okay. Gotcha. That makes a lot more sense, then.

Here was the latest bug thread on it. I had some PM messages back and forth with some during this time too that helped clarify what was actually broken or not working correctly. Either way, I definitely plan on checking to see if it is fixed in ootp 10.

Sudden player rating drop bug still exists - OOTP Developments Forums

Old 02-21-2009, 04:07 PM   #147
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Also, the way explained in PM to me on how to specifically find this bug is:

Prior to season they had to have a rating vs LH or vs RH that was near cap. (Use the player editor to verify since the game numbers we see obscures it some and is not always accurate). They needed a number close to or at 250 prior to the season.

Then after the bug supposedly hit, that same rating vs LH or vs RH had to be below 10 via the player editor. (Once again look in the player editor as via the game, it will show up as a 20 or 30 or something usually).

That is usually a tell tale sign that the bug occured to them.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

DC, there is nothing in that rule set you posted about when the fixes are made. It only sets Monday as the deadline to get it done. I don't see any reason legally (within league rules) that this can't be fixed right away. All other rules regarding this are satisifed, except I guess for me arguing it in the court of public opinion, which frankly, shouldn't be in there anyway. I wouldn't stay in a league where the commish punishes someone for speaking out publically (and I don't think you would do that, just saying, though, that should be taken out of that rule set).

Old 02-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #149
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

DC, a couple of bugs for me. Let me know if you want me to PM them to you.

CF Robinson Rivera also got hit by the ratings bug for me it appears.

Also somehow my relief pitcher Jose Ramirez was dumped to Single A and RF prospect Stephen Tyson was placed in the majors at the start of the season. Not sure why or how that happened. But I -think- the bug also hit Tyson while in the majors. I don't honestly remember what his stats were before, because he shouldn't have been in the majors anyways! If you don't mind looking at him as well, I'd appreciate it.

Let me know if I need to drop a PM instead.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:09 PM   #150
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here was the latest bug thread on it. I had some PM messages back and forth with some during this time too that helped clarify what was actually broken or not working correctly. Either way, I definitely plan on checking to see if it is fixed in ootp 10.

Sudden player rating drop bug still exists - OOTP Developments Forums

And it's this kind of attitude, and the experience with the patches in this version, that has me unlikely to buy OOTP 10. Of course, given how prevalent this attitude has become in the text sim industry (and at some point I'll put together an essay for the thread in GD about this), I'm really frustrated with text sims at the moment.