Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-18-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WW LXV-- Enter the CUBICLE (GAME OVER! See Post #1625 For Final Game Post)

WW LXVI--Enter the CUBICLE

Welcome to the CUBICLE, where you spend 40 hours of your miserable lives each week. You're overworked and underpaid. And guess what?

Your company is under threat from the oncoming mortgage crisis, and needs to make cuts. Word is the Bobs have been hired, and the employee lists are being parsed and compared. People are on the chopping block, and the Boss has directives from uppermanagement to swing the axe--many times.

Can you survive the ugly cutthroat world of corporate America in rough times? Or will you soon be collecting employment and food stamps?

The Game Factions

There will be three factions in this game; two mini-wolf groups and the department at large. As a stressed out everyday worker in a cubicle, it is your job to weed out the wolf factions and keep your job. Meanwhile, the wolves will compete to get you terminated--and each other, too.

Now, here's the twist. The wolf groups will not only know and be able to communicate within their own ranks. They will know every member of the opposing wolf group, too. And their number one mission isn't the worker at large. It's each other.

Will one defeat the other? Or can you defeat both?

Gameplan

This will be a 24 hour cycle game, as that works best for me and my herky-jerky schedule. The deadline every night will be 10 P.M. EST (7 P.M. PDT).

On Day One (Tuesday), I am scheduled to work at my second job that night. The deadline will remain at 10 p.m. (all actions/votes after that time will be considered post deadline), but I will process it when I get home (about 1 a.m. EST). Unless the game runs long, this should be the only time I need to do this. The other days this could happen would be Day Six (the following Monday) and Day Eight (the following Wednesday), and I doubt the game will last that long.

Other than the twist and the multiple wolf factions, this will be a fairly standard WW game (usual roles included), and I don't anticipate newer players having much issue with the rules.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-31-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Game Roles & Rules

The Boss is a fair boss under a tough directive from the bigwigs above. He needs to make some cuts to get the department under its new cut rate budget. He isn't one to just make rash decisions. He tends to think things through. But he has always put good weight into the confidence of those around him. And so many in the department have his ear and can influence the decisions he makes.

There are three factions in this game, the two wolf groups and the rest of the department. Everyone knows the cuts are coming. But no one knows who will be fired. Or how many. The Boss attempted to put up some likely candidates in a memo to his higher ups. He decided it would likely be best to keep the cuts as much as possible to one group or section, so as to minimize personal conflicts.

Unfortunately for him, his regular administrative assistant is out on maternity leave and a temp with a stutter and shaky hands has temporarily replaced her. When she emailed the memo, she accidentally cc'd it to a member of each of the wolf factions--The Crew and The Cougars. So they know who else is on the potential chopping block.

THE WOLVES

The Crew These guys have worked together for years in the same department. They are still bachelors and go-getters, confident in their own abilities. And at one point, they were very good and the most productive section in the department. But they have gotten complacent as time as gotten by, spending a little more time hanging out and partying and a little less time on the clock working. The Boss thinks it might be a time to change that section up a bit and get some new blood.

The Cougars These gals have fought their way through glass ceilings, harassment and overt sexual advances, and they are tough-minded survivors. They are very good at what they do, but now they have some of the highest salaries for non-supervisors in the department, and the Boss thinks he can get close to the same production from newer, cheaper, younger workers.

Each wolf faction will know every other wolf in the game. They will be able to silently communicate within their own groups, as wolves can in most WW games. None of the wolves are allowed to have any of the other roles available in the game (except for the Fish, more on that role later).

Neither wolf faction is allowed to reveal the names of any other wolf, whether in their own group or in the enemy wolf group. I will be the judge of what is considered revealing the names of other wolves, so if you have a question about a potential post you are considering, please PM me or email me at [email protected] (when I am at work).

Each day, the Crew and the Cougars will have the opportunity to attempt to influence the Boss to terminate one member of the department. This is the equivalent of the night kill. Only one night kill will be processed per day, but the factors determining which night kill order is accepted is known only to the wolves.

Influence has its limits. Both wolf factions know if they attempt to influence the Boss too boldly against the other wolves, that he may realize they are aware of the memo and immediately fire them all. So, neither wolf faction is allowed to submit a kill order for another wolf except every third day. So on Day Three, Six, Nine, etc., then and only then can the wolves attempt a kill on the other wolf faction.

Also each day, the Crew and the Cougars will have the opportunity to seek out the Fish and convince him to join their side. More on the Fish in the department roles.

THE DEPARTMENT

The rest of the department doesn't want to get fired either, and they don't know about the memo. As far as they know, they are as likely to go as anyone. So they want to find the wolf factions, because the know the Crew and the Cougars will do whatever they can to escape being fired.

Every day, they and the wolves will vote on one person to submit to the Boss for firing. This will be the lynch vote. You can vote for this as we have done in the past, as follows:

VOTE CHIEF RUM

If you change your mind, you must unvote, before you re-vote. These votes must be bolded and in caps to make them stand out for the moderator.

UNVOTE CHIEF RUM

Any ties will be broken with a hidden mechanism.

The Department has three key members known as the Boss's Golf Buddies. They have managed over the years to become friends with the Boss, and have more influence on him than anyone else in the office. In addition to the role information provided below, these three also will start every day at "-1" votes, meaning they automatically have one less vote than everyone else. After all, it's hard to get the Boss to fire his buddies.

They are as follows:

The Veteran: This guy has been working for the company longer than anyone, and has also known the Boss longer than anyone. He is as close to a personal friend in the office as the Boss has. He is well paid, which potentially puts him on the block, but he is also very good at his job and supremely confident. He can use his influence to protect one person per day from a night kill firing. He cannot protect the same person two nights in a row. He can protect himself.

The Gossip: He's the social butterfly. Everyone knows him and likes him and talks to him. There are few secrets he doesn't eventually catch wind of. One time every day, he can put his ear to the cubicle desktop and find out the role and allegiance of any other player in the game.

The Comic: There isn't a joke this guy doesn't know, or co-worker he can't make laugh. Witty and charismatic, he has worked his way into the Boss's good graces, but not as close as the Veteran. He has two ways he can influence the Boss, but he can only use one of them per game. He can either use his influence, one time per game, to switch the department lynching victim to any other player except for the other two golfing buddies, although his action and name will be known throughout the department. Or he can, three times per game, add one vote to any player (and it doesn't have to be the player he voted for), which will be done without revealing himself.

OTHER ROLES

The Fish The Fish is a waffler. A classic flip-flopper with little personality or opinions of his own. He is easily led one way or another, although once committed he will stick with the side he has chosen. Every day, the wolves can seek out the Fish and try to convince him to their side. If they find him, they will convert him to their side. He will be an unknown wolf to the other side and to the department. He will appear as a regular Department worker to the Gossip until he is converted, after which he will appear as a wolf. In the final numbers, he will always count as a department worker.

The Temps Three of the regular workers are actually recent hires from a temporary agency. The Boss will have to jump through less HR hoops to terminate them, so as a result they start each day at "+1" votes. Meaning, they start every day with a lynch vote.

The Observor One worker is particularly quiet and unassuming, and rather plain. She shows up for work, does it well, and then leaves, and few members of the Department know her more than superficially. As a result, she is rarely noticed. She herself, though, has always prided herself on being observant. She lacks the charisma and influence to discover anyone's role or allegiance, but, ever watchful, she can see when two people are having a meaningful conversation--and when someone goes into the Boss's office.

The Pretentious Fool Every office has one of these, and this one is no different. This is a relatively new worker, who is loud and arrogant and convinced of his own importance. He thinks everyone likes him, when no one really does, and he'll talk to anyone. So he thinks he's the Gossip, and that's what he will be told. He will be treated like the Gossip, but his results will be random, and he won't be revealed until he is fired.

WIN CONDITIONS

The conditions for winning operate from a simple point system, as follows:

(3 PTS)-- Both wolf factions have been eliminated by the Department. Only the Department can get this.
(2 PTS)-- A wolf faction has been eliminated. Only the other wolf faction gets credit for these points.
(1 PT)-- The wolves get this if they earn a 1:1 ratio with the Department. This applies individually to each wolf faction, not collectively.

The Fish's win conditions follow the Department's until he is converted, afetr which they switch to the win conditions of the wolf faction that recruited him.

Three points is a COMPLETE VICTORY, and the ultimate goal of all factions. Two points is a MAJOR VICTORY. One point is a MINOR VICTORY.

The game does not end until at least one wolf faction has been eliminated AND the remaining wolf faction has achieved at least a 1:1 ratio with the remaining members of the Department.

GENERAL RULES

All normal WW rules apply.

No editing in this thread, other than by me, or, for outside game reasons, Barkeep in his role as moderator. No communicating outside of this thread unless you are explicitly told you may do so. Hence forth, I will post in red, so that my posts will stand out. No one else is allowed to post in this color.

If I did not mention any standard WW rules, assume they are liekly still in place unless I say otherwise. I reserve the right to amke any changes needed for the good of the game.

Roles will go out sometime Monday, January 21, probably in the afternoon my time (early evening back East), before I go to work.

Any questions during off-work hours (most nights and weekends, except where noted in Post 1) should be PM'd to me here. If you are trying to reach me during my work hours (5:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. PDT Mon-Thur, 6 to 3 on Fri), you must email me at [email protected] instead to ensure you receive a timely response.

Please let me know if you have any questions. The game will begin when roles go out Monday afternoon. I will post when the game has begun.

And have fun!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-21-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Player List

1. claphamsa
2. Arles
3. Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
4. jeheinz
5. Barkeep49
6. Lathum
7. Passacaglia
8. finkenst
9. oliegirl
10. mauboy1
11. ntndeacon
12. st.cronin
13. Mr. Wednesday
14. path12
15. Schmidty
16. AlanT
17. Render
18. bulletsponge
19. SnDvls
20. bsak16
21. The Jackal

Final Player List moved to Post #1630

Last edited by Chief Rum : 01-31-2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:30 AM   #4
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

in!!!! nice twists!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I'm in
Old 01-18-2008, 07:35 AM   #6
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

I actually spend 40+ hours in an office with doors....

But I'm in.

Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 07:58 AM   #7
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Werewolf imitates life?

I'm in.
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Barkeep49
Coordinator

In
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

in
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:13 AM   #10
Passacaglia
Coordinator

8. Passacaglia
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

How does the department at large win?
Old 01-18-2008, 09:22 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Pass would be 7 not 8
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Damnit! the 2 after claphamsa's name threw me off.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #14
finketr
College Prospect

why not? my first foray into WW
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FRESH FISH FRESH FISH
Old 01-18-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I'm in
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Count me in.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #18
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

yup yup yup

inn
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 11:16 AM   #19
finketr
College Prospect

oh..
i need to sign up my othe rlogin here...

finkenst

this one is my work login..

long story
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:32 PM   #20
Passacaglia
Coordinator

weird, i thought you were two people who happened to have similar names.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:59 PM   #21
st.cronin
General Manager

In

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

look who's back
Old 01-18-2008, 01:38 PM   #23
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

In.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #24
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Lathum can see the future!
Old 01-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #25
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

nice turnout so far
Old 01-18-2008, 03:16 PM   #26
path12
Coordinator

In.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:50 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
How does the department at large win?

That would be traditional wolf killing.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finketr View Post
why not? my first foray into WW

Welcome!

As you have already made yourself aware, of course, be sure to tell me which name you will play with. Obviously, we want to keep that to a minimum.

Will it be finkenst then? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2008, 10:14 PM   #29
Schmidty
Coordinator

I shouldn't, but since it's a 24 hour schedule, what the hell.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:21 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I shouldn't, but since it's a 24 hour schedule, what the hell.

well you were so valuable last game
Old 01-19-2008, 08:27 AM   #31
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
That would be traditional wolf killing.

So Side A wants to kill all of Side B, and Side B wants to kill all of Side A, and the middle wants to kill all of both? Won't that be pretty much impossible without one side winning first?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
So Side A wants to kill all of Side B, and Side B wants to kill all of Side A, and the middle wants to kill all of both? Won't that be pretty much impossible without one side winning first?

I was thinking it would be kind of a reverse of "normal" ww, where the wolves need a 1:1 ratio to win. If the middle gets a 1:1 ratio on A and B without either team being completely eliminated, then they win????
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #33
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well, if I did set it up that way, then it would be a race to see who gets to their conditions first. As with other WW games, the game wouldn't end with everyone dying, but when victory conditions have been met. And when I said "traditional wolf voting", I was referring to the department voting them out. I didn't make any statements about the victory conditions of the department. And in any case, I didn't set it up exactly that way. There are variable victory conditions to this game.

I will be posting the rules and roles available sometime today.

Old 01-19-2008, 02:38 PM   #34
NotBladeorLathum
n00b

Where's Blade6119, I didn't create this screen name for nothin'!
NotBladeorLathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 02:45 PM   #35
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotBladeorLathum View Post
Where's Blade6119, I didn't create this screen name for nothin'!

He hasn't played WW in many months.

I'll try to play this game. We'll see how difficult it is for me to get by during the day.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 03:38 PM   #36
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

thought I might be able to play this game, but I don't think it's the best idea as I have a business trip i'm leaving for on next sunday, and that would just be D5...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #37
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yup, might be tough DT unless you have access to the Internet on your trip. And welcome Alan. As a veteran "I can't play in the day" player, I manage, and the 24 hour clock should help, too. Hopefully it works for you.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:55 PM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I can adjust this game to the number of players, but I always thought 18 was about ideal. It will be interesting if we end up with that number.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:07 PM   #39
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

maybe post in GD would hepl
Old 01-19-2008, 05:14 PM   #40
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yup, might be tough DT unless you have access to the Internet on your trip. And welcome Alan. As a veteran "I can't play in the day" player, I manage, and the 24 hour clock should help, too. Hopefully it works for you.

well I will have internet...but it's sorta a big-deal trip so I want to be 110% focused on that, so I guess I gotta give this one a pass
Old 01-19-2008, 05:16 PM   #41
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

we could just all agree to lynch DT day 1
Old 01-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #42
RendeR
Coordinator

Count me "In"

and lynching ayone other than ME on day 1 would be nice this time
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
we could just all agree to lynch DT day 1

you could. But i'd probably end up being the seer or something
Old 01-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #44
Schmidty
Coordinator

*edit*

I said lots of stuff here, but I didn't swear.

*edit*

Last edited by Schmidty : 01-19-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:09 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

huh, why the hostility, I thought you knew me well enough by now to know not to take me seriously.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #46
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
huh, why the hostility, I thought you knew me well enough by now to know not to take me seriously.

Ok, then I will put my anger away and blow you a kiss.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #47
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol.

Quote:
Your welcome folks. I worked my ass off for this win!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was messing with you because of this post in the last game
Old 01-19-2008, 08:14 PM   #48
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
lol.

I was messing with you because of this post in the last game

Take note of my signature.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #49
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

vote dt
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 10:06 PM   #50
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
maybe post in GD would hepl

Oh, I was just tossing out what I thought was my ideal number for this gameset. I'm not really too concerned wherever it ends up. If no one else joined and some people dropped off, I could still run an effective game.

That said, yeah, I was going to post in GD when I started this thread and just forgot. I'll toss one out there.