Old 03-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #602
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Thanks FM. Much appreciated.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #603
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

no problem. I also wanted to comment on the "install this app and you'll get this frog" part. It's not really necessary to install whatever app they are asking you to install. You simply have to say "yes" which will take you to the app store's page for the app, then come back to the Pocket Frogs and you'll have your frog in your mailbox.

FM
Old 03-11-2011, 05:02 PM   #604
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I've been playing a lot of Blokus on the iPad lately. Pretty nice implementation.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #605
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Dungeon Hunter 2 is on sale for 99 cents today only.

FM
Old 03-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #606
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, for some reason I have decided that I want to find a way to play Madden on the iPhone. It's clearly not a great game, but it is a passable football game simulator, and I'm enough of a football fan that I want to invest some time in making this playable. I've gotten *way* more than my 99 cents worth already, but for some reason I feel like I could do better.

Anyway, dumping my progress here:

-I am not actually good at this game, first of all. I really don't understand how to control the players much -- basically the only thing I do is call the plays and select the receiver, the rest is just up to the auto-controls.

-So, this apparently means that I completely suck in the running game, and special teams. I can't really run for much better than 1 ypc on average, and that's usually a string that's something like -2, 0, -3, -1, +2, -2, +14, 0, -3. On kickoff returns, my opponents get to start at about the 40 on average, I'm at maybe the 25.

-What does work is the fly pattern. And the QB sneak, sometimes. And some of the simplest defenses, apparently.

-So, overall, despite my grave weaknesses, in my first season I took Miami to a 12-4 #2 seed and a title, and in my second (hardest skill level) I'm unbeaten so far with the lowly Browns, and it appears that Josh Cribbs will be compelled to dip himself in bronze at the end of his 4,500-yard, 50TD season (this is playing with 3-minute quarters).

Anyway... looking for a workable way to rein in the nonsense.

Best idea I have thus far is to force a rotation of plays on offense. Every time I call a play by category (run, short pass, or long pass) I open that page and am required to flip to the next play listed after the one called previously. That way no hammering the handful of easy fly patterns, or I guess other things that work too well that i have yet to discover. Not sure what becomes the best strategy there, but it would have to be more subtle than what I do now.

Anyhow... I know this is pretty pointless. But anyone else have any thoughts?
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #607
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

anybody who might have been tempted to get FMHi but never did, now might be a good time to do so as they are giving away all revenue sales for the next few days

Noble gesture from FM Handheld makers - Newsroom - CM Revolution

FM
Old 03-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #608
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, for some reason I have decided that I want to find a way to play Madden on the iPhone. It's clearly not a great game, but it is a passable football game simulator, and I'm enough of a football fan that I want to invest some time in making this playable. I've gotten *way* more than my 99 cents worth already, but for some reason I feel like I could do better.

Anyway, dumping my progress here:

-I am not actually good at this game, first of all. I really don't understand how to control the players much -- basically the only thing I do is call the plays and select the receiver, the rest is just up to the auto-controls.

-So, this apparently means that I completely suck in the running game, and special teams. I can't really run for much better than 1 ypc on average, and that's usually a string that's something like -2, 0, -3, -1, +2, -2, +14, 0, -3. On kickoff returns, my opponents get to start at about the 40 on average, I'm at maybe the 25.

-What does work is the fly pattern. And the QB sneak, sometimes. And some of the simplest defenses, apparently.

-So, overall, despite my grave weaknesses, in my first season I took Miami to a 12-4 #2 seed and a title, and in my second (hardest skill level) I'm unbeaten so far with the lowly Browns, and it appears that Josh Cribbs will be compelled to dip himself in bronze at the end of his 4,500-yard, 50TD season (this is playing with 3-minute quarters).

Anyway... looking for a workable way to rein in the nonsense.

Best idea I have thus far is to force a rotation of plays on offense. Every time I call a play by category (run, short pass, or long pass) I open that page and am required to flip to the next play listed after the one called previously. That way no hammering the handful of easy fly patterns, or I guess other things that work too well that i have yet to discover. Not sure what becomes the best strategy there, but it would have to be more subtle than what I do now.

Anyhow... I know this is pretty pointless. But anyone else have any thoughts?

I understand the frustration of the fly pattern. I was playing as the Lions in the iPad version and it was unstoppable to Megatron. Does the iPhone version have automated play calling? Obviously that is imperfect, but at least you have to run what is called for you.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 PM   #609
samifan24
Pro Starter

I'm playing Dungeon Hunter 2 on my iPhone since I picked it up for 99 cents during a sale last Saturday and it's pretty good. It's basically a Torchlight/Diablo clone but it's one of the best looking and deepest iOS games I've ever played.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:27 PM   #610
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I Am T-Pain is totally worth a buck.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:46 PM   #611
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I'm playing Dungeon Hunter 2 on my iPhone since I picked it up for 99 cents during a sale last Saturday and it's pretty good. It's basically a Torchlight/Diablo clone but it's one of the best looking and deepest iOS games I've ever played.

I also picked it up during that sale and I agree. It's a lot of fun and looks really deep.

I've also been spending quite a bit of time with Infinity Blade and it's just an absolutely gorgeous game.

FM
Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #612
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Street fighter 4 is fun and worth a dollar.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #613
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
I also picked it up during that sale and I agree. It's a lot of fun and looks really deep.

after spending some more time with it over the weekend, I'll say it again, this game is a lot of fun. I know the price has gone back up but if it ever goes back down a bit, I highly recommend it for anyone looking for a good hack/slash type of game...

I also have Hero of Sparta II, also from Gameloft, which I bought in a sale a while ago (Holiday sale maybe?) but that I had uninstalled to make room on my Touch. I'm thinking I might reinstall it and see if it's much of the same or not.

FM
Old 03-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #614
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'm pretty sure someone on this board posted about an iphone app that a friend developed for keeping score and tracking stats for baseball games. I don't think it was in this thread (I don't have an iphone, so I doubt I would have seen it here). It must have been in another thread. Anyone recall that post and what thread it's in?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #615
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Nevermind...found it.

Business Idea for Youth/Adult Sports - Is there a market? - Front Office Football Central
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #616
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'm pretty sure someone on this board posted about an iphone app that a friend developed for keeping score and tracking stats for baseball games. I don't think it was in this thread (I don't have an iphone, so I doubt I would have seen it here). It must have been in another thread. Anyone recall that post and what thread it's in?
gamechanger is free and you can upload the stats to a website. gamechanger.io is the website to check it out. Blackberry app as well.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:25 AM   #617
SegRat
High School Varsity

Mike Tyson Main Event is worth getting, and best part is it is free.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 PM   #618
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Strimko Gold is free today. It's supposedly a puzzle game. I downloaded but haven't played yet.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 PM   #619
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Baseball Superstars 2011 is for sale at 99 cents down from $4.99 for opening day. I'm not a huge baseball fan but reviews are pretty good and I'm pretty I'll get more than a buck's worth out of it.

FM
Old 03-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #620
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Been playing it for 20 minutes now, in the RPG mode and yeah, this is going to be a lot of fun. Definitely got a Nintendo vibe to it.

FM
Old 03-30-2011, 10:21 PM   #621
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I played the '10 version and had a blast with it.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #622
DataKing
Pro Rookie

FYI for the Pocket Frogs players out there, you can get one of the new Dextera frogs for downloading AppAllStar (I assume this is for today only).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #623
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
FYI for the Pocket Frogs players out there, you can get one of the new Dextera frogs for downloading AppAllStar (I assume this is for today only).

thanks for the heads up, got my free frog.

FM
Old 04-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #624
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Traffic Master is free for the next day or so. Pretty fun traffic directing game.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:39 PM   #625
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Iphone question. Decided to not create a thread for it so I thought this might be a good place.

I broke my Droid. I am kind of thinking about waiting for the Droid Bionic, but I'd like to try out an Iphone 4. See what it's all about. My question.

Before my droid broke I knew I had an upgrade coming in July. It was more then likely going to the Bionic or the Iphone 5 if it was out or close to being out. I am pretty anti getting the 4 when the 5 is so close, but now I need a phone. I looked on Ebay, and iPhone 4's are going for 500 bucks give or take. Once the 5 gets close to being released I could sell my 4 on ebay. But, how much do you think the prices on ebay would take a hit for the 4 once the 5 is close to release? Will it be huge?

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-07-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #626
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Iphone question. Decided to not create a thread for it so I thought this might be a good place.

I broke my Droid. I am kind of thinking about waiting for the Droid Bionic, but I'd like to try out an Iphone 4. See what it's all about. My question.

Before my droid broke I knew I had an upgrade coming in July. It was more then likely going to the Bionic or the Iphone 5 if it was out or close to being out. I am pretty anti getting the 4 when the 5 is so close, but now I need a phone. I looked on Ebay, and iPhone 4's are going for 500 bucks give or take. Once the 5 gets close to being released I could sell my 4 on ebay. But, how much do you think the prices on ebay would take a hit for the 4 once the 5 is close to release? Will it be huge?

I'd say it would be $300, since it is one generation old.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #627
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Great Little War Game, going by the name "Great Little War Game". The free version is keeping me going, and is the only thing keeping Dungeon Hunter two from being played.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #628
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Great Little War Game, going by the name "Great Little War Game". The free version is keeping me going, and is the only thing keeping Dungeon Hunter two from being played.

oh, that looks interesting. Will probably check it out when I get home.

Dungeon Hunter 2 has also received a lot of attention from me lately. Other games I've been playing:
Rimelands: Hammer of Thor, cool turn based RPG with dices to do battles
Baseball Superstars 2011, up to season 8 with my initial RPG player, lots of fun, also started a team season
HR Battle 3D, finally getting somewhere and hitting the ball with regularity
Multiplayer: Carcassonne, Disc Drivin' (new tracks!), Words with Friends

Did some playing with Infinity Blade and FMHi but have not played either in about a week. I had just won my division in FMHi and I know I will get back to it but I've been in a big RPG mood lately... Bought both Eternal Legacy and Sacred Odyssey when they dropped in price to 99 cents and also Chaos Rings when its price was slash to half price so I got some more RPG to try out.

FM

Last edited by FrogMan : 04-08-2011 at 07:39 AM.
FrogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #629
FBPro
College Starter

Cool app that you can sorta "voice text", send short audio messages to those with iPhones and Droids is HeyTell its a free app.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #630
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

World of Goo was released for the iPhone/iPod Touch today and is on sale for 99 cents for the day. At the same time, if you had bought the iPad version, World of Good HD, it became a universal app, making it playable on your iPhone/iPod Touch if you also own one of these devices.

FM
Old 04-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #631
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

also, Asphalt 6 is for sale at 99 cents today and tomorrow only. As far as arcade racing go, the Asphalt series is a pretty good one...

FM
Old 04-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #632
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Baseball Superstars 2011 is for sale at 99 cents down from $4.99 for opening day. I'm not a huge baseball fan but reviews are pretty good and I'm pretty I'll get more than a buck's worth out of it.

FM

Quote:
Been playing it for 20 minutes now, in the RPG mode and yeah, this is going to be a lot of fun. Definitely got a Nintendo vibe to it.

FM

that game has a little timer in it that tells you how much time you've spent in the various modes of the game. I'm 10 seasons into my batter RPG game and I've now logged in 13+ hours of playtime. I'd say I got well over my 99 cents in playing value

FM
Old 04-14-2011, 09:41 PM   #633
samifan24
Pro Starter

How does Baseball Superstars RPG mode work? That's the game where you have regular players playing alongside cartoon tigers, right? Is there a more realistic mode at all?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #634
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
How does Baseball Superstars RPG mode work? That's the game where you have regular players playing alongside cartoon tigers, right? Is there a more realistic mode at all?

it's not really realistic meaning that there's one super batter and one super pitcher per team and they take many kind of weird form. There's even a robot throwing some wildly moving balls, heh.

That being said, you can play as either a batter or a pitcher. You can actually have a career of each concurrent to one another. When you pick "my league" to play, you chose between batter and pitcher. Way it works is you start with lowly skills, play two games at a time and after every second game, you have a choice to make as to what to do with your character: train (in the case of a batter, in hitting, power, fielding or base running), rest, or go out on the town. Your player's morale will go up or down depending on if your team wins and when you train. Too low morale and your player might get depressed and you acquire a negative skill (something like "all skills -20%"). You can also acquire a negative skill if you don't train any of the four at all over a long period of time. Playing a game is fairly simple, in the batter game, you only play your at bats, so they go by fast. At the start of every season, they give you goals to achieve. I assume that if you don't reach them, they might not offer you a contract for the next season. I can only assume since I've always reached the goals they set, but they keep upping them, so at some point I might have a hard time getting them. You can retire your player after the 6th season and I was this close to retire mine after my 8th season in which I kinda slumped a bit but I decided to stick with it for on more and had a monster season, winning MVP.

All in all, it's a lot of fun.

I've also played the HR race mode a little, it's also fun. A lot simpler than HR Battle 3D yet kinda fun too.

FM
Old 04-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #635
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
ToonPaint is free now. Makes a cartoon of your photo.

yes, yes, I forgot about that one. Had it on my appshoper wishlist for a long time and finally downloaded it the other day. Works nicely too.

FM
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #636
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

I had downloaded the free version when you posted this but never got to try it. Just deleted it after downloading the full version that is free for the weekend.

FM
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM   #637
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm having fun with the Hipstamatic app and the 8mm Vintage Camera app.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #638
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Beyond Ynth, a cool and pretty relax puzzler with a nice campaign, is free for 72 hours. It usually sells for $1.99.

FM
Old 04-19-2011, 11:30 PM   #639
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Laying in bed typing this on my iPhone with no power. Storm going through and I looked at my weather channel app at 1211am and it said a tornado touched down outside of my town at 1150pm about five minutes from my house. Anybody know of a weather app that will alert me through notifications? 20 minutes would have been too late, but then again by the time I would get alerted maybe it would have been too late anyways
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #640
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why the fuck every popular game app is about birds
Old 04-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #641
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

got on Facebook this morning and there was, posted about 15 seconds before that by Minigore, of which I'm a fan, five promo codes for Death Rally. Said "what the heck, I'll try to redeem one" so I fired up iTunes (which was not running) and I copy/pasted the very first one. What do you know, the app started downloading. WIN!

Sure, it's only $2.99 but again, WIN!

FM
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #642
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and I'll be damned but this Death Rally is a lot of fun! Think top down racing, a bit like EA's Reckless Racing but with guns and armor! Played it for about 45 minutes just now and really, a lot of fun.

FM
Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM   #643
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

EA is having a big Easter Sunday sale, lots of titles for sale at 99 cents

iPhone: iPad:I've already picked up Tiger Woods 12 and Fight Night Champion. Fight Night is fun. Started a legacy and have fought a couple fights. I like the controls.

FM
Old 04-24-2011, 09:08 AM   #644
SegRat
High School Varsity

Tiger Woods for the iPhone is worth .99
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #645
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is there a good recipe app?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:47 PM   #646
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Depends what you're looking for. I like and use the Epicurious app a lot. But then, I also look at their website quite a bit.

Cooks Illustrated apparently has an app, too, but I haven't used it yet.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM   #647
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Betty Crocker Cookbook App
SparkRecipes
Epicurious
AllRecipes
BigOven

All great apps I have and use.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 AM   #648
samifan24
Pro Starter

NBA Jam for the iPhone is awesome
Old 04-27-2011, 01:28 AM   #649
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NBA Jam for the iPhone is awesome

agreed.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #650
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, looking for a recommendation.

I want a game. I want it to be kind of puzzle/strategy but not require twitch reflexes. I like Angry Birds, but I prefer it on the iPad, where I don't have to zoom out too much...on the iPhone, I can't figure out what angle to shoot the birds out unless I zoom out all the way, and then it gets hard to figure out what angle I'm shooting at. Tiny Wings is cute, but the challenges got annoying relatively quickly.

Don't mind paying. Suggestions?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote