Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2019, 11:10 PM   #2201
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not really the vein the thread has taken, but sat down and watched 'Westside vs the World ' tonight.

Always known about, read about Louis Simmons so it was fascinating to watch this about him.

It was surreal and shockingn though to sit down and watch this documentary and see two separate unrelated friends/contacts pop on the screen doing interviews...and I had no idea either had any part of it when I turned it on.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:06 AM   #2202
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I thought Urban was going for Australian. It's bad, but doesn't detract from the show for me.

fwiw, I read where it's a Cockney attempt mixed with his natural Kiwi accent overpowering it. At least one theory is that it's actually bad intentionally, to just add an extra dig at the overall spoof.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:41 AM   #2203
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
fwiw, I read where it's a Cockney attempt mixed with his natural Kiwi accent overpowering it. At least one theory is that it's actually bad intentionally, to just add an extra dig at the overall spoof.

I'm embarrassed to say I didn't even know he was a Kiwi. I guess he's the one Kiwi us Aussies haven't tried to claim as our own...

The accent makes sense now, intentional or not.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #2204
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
You would probably like Person of Interest. I've been binging through that and like it.

Finished The Blacklist S3 and it's starting to wear thin. I'm still enjoying it but the Keen-the-criminal arc was pretty tedious and don't like how Red turns into a gun-shooting operator. I do like the idea of a Cabal though.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:35 PM   #2205
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
So I guess Last Kingdom is what I should watch!

Belated enthusiastic thumbs up for Last Kingdom.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #2206
sabotai
General Manager

I keep pushing off on watching the Last Kingdom because I keep telling myself I want to read the books first. One of these days I'll relent.

I watched The Boys over that last few days and really enjoyed it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:47 PM   #2207
RainMaker
General Manager

Mindhunter is so good.

Also Dark on Netflix if you're into time travel.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #2208
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I keep pushing off on watching the Last Kingdom because I keep telling myself I want to read the books first. One of these days I'll relent.

I keep on pushing it off because I'm done with Vikings for a while.
Old 08-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #2209
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Mindhunter is so good.

Very good 2nd season. Actually extremely good. Im about 5 shows into the 2nd season.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:58 PM   #2210
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

Another vote for Dark on Netflix. Lots of wibbly wobbly timey wimey twists and turns from Germany. I did have to change the audio to German and watch with subtitles though, found the defaulted English dubbing badly acted and off-putting.

I've only watched season one, but I've heard season two is just as good/maybe better.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:02 PM   #2211
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I'm 3 episodes into Killer Ratings and completely hooked. I don't know how big a deal this was at the time it happened, but I have zero knowledge of this whole caper and it's taken all my willpower not to google the people or events until I'm done with the show.

Finished episode 7 last night. Really enjoyable and a sad look at what can happen politically in a place like Brazil.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:40 PM   #2212
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

I watched The Boys over that last few days and really enjoyed it.
I haven't read them, but I can't imagine The Last Kingdom would work much better in book form than on screen. Definitely a fun watch.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #2213
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I haven't read them, but I can't imagine The Last Kingdom would work much better in book form than on screen. Definitely a fun watch.

I think it works a lot better, actually The TV show is good as it is, but certain things it just can't convincingly portray as far as the 'dynamic' of the books is concerned. The more narrow first-person viewpoint and the fact it covers a whole lifetime is sth the TV series show just can't really provide (the extremely corny voice-overs aside ) and maybe smartly doesnt try to. Uthred in S1 is basically the same age and character as in S3 in the show, which likely will stay the same going forward. In the books, you really get a sense of time and change that you do not in the show. Same is true for other key characters like Edward or Aethelflaed.

The show is obviously good and entertaining, just saying the Books are well worth getting into regardless of before or after the show. (Theres enough added events and changes to make it fresh to read even after seeing the show)
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 08-19-2019 at 07:18 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 07:23 PM   #2214
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yeah, the books are very good. I sort of burnt myself out on Bernard Cornwell books about 10 years ago due to how similar they all feel character-wise, but the 5 or so books of this series I got through were my favourite stuff of his that I read.
Old 08-19-2019, 09:26 PM   #2215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just watched Blackfish again. Absolutely horrible. Makes me guilty I ever went to seaworld.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #2216
Izulde
Head Coach

I skimmed through the Last Kingdom books. Felt very lightweight compared to the TV show, so this is one of those rare instances where I say the show surpasses the books.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #2217
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Started Mindhunter late, but thoroughly enjoying it, 2 episodes into season 2.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:12 PM   #2218
RainMaker
General Manager

Not sure if this has been talked about, but Patriot on Amazon is just an incredible show. Just a perfect mix of dark comedy, action, and drama.

Creator also made Perpetual Grace which I'm guessing no one has heard of because it's an exclusive on EPIX. But that show is brilliant too and features Jimmi Simpson.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #2219
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Please don't kill me. My wife and I started watching the first season of Love Island UK, and we are so hooked. It is easily the stupidest thing I can't get enough of.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #2220
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Love me some Patriot, what a great show that gets zero hype.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #2221
PilotMan
Head Coach

Big Little Lies on HBO.

I know it's short run, short season, but from a storytelling pov, it's amazingly well done. It's emotional, and the entire production is so very good. Glen Close simply stole the season. I feel like the whole thing could have wrapped up with this season honestly. It certainly strikes a chord. No doubt.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 08-21-2019 at 10:18 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #2222
Kodos
Resident Alien

Can't wait for this:

And this:

So, yeah, there is a Disney+ subscription in my future.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:04 PM   #2223
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Big Little Lies on HBO.

I know it's short run, short season, but from a storytelling pov, it's amazingly well done. It's emotional, and the entire production is so very good. Glen Close simply stole the season. I feel like the whole thing could have wrapped up with this season honestly. It certainly strikes a chord. No doubt.

I think you mean Meryl Streep.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #2224
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I think you mean Meryl Streep.

duh, yeah, of course

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:22 AM   #2225
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Big Little Lies on HBO.

Everybody has that passive-aggressive mother-in-law, this is just the "volume up to 10" version.

I personally thought that there wasn't enough to the story to make an entire extra season. Season 1 had so much more going on.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #2226
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone watch the final season of OITNB? Really amazing stuff and relevant to the times. The show started great then lost some steam in the middle seasons but the last season was some of the best stuff I have seen. Loved how they tied things up.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:36 PM   #2227
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyone watch the final season of OITNB? Really amazing stuff and relevant to the times. The show started great then lost some steam in the middle seasons but the last season was some of the best stuff I have seen. Loved how they tied things up.

I think I'm about halfway through the last season - I like the topics they're addressing but I hate the way they're doing it and it feels so far like the worst stretch the show has ever had from a story perspective. Yes they're addressing current and important topics and this is a great show to do that, but its just incredibly straightforward and obvious what's going on all the time, everything is just too on the nose and it feels so crappy.

I've been a big defender of the show throughout even as many others stopped watching, but I'm incredibly disappointed so far. We'll see how the last half of the season goes and if that changes anything.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #2228
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished The Blacklist season 6. Enjoyed it but thought the last 2 episodes re: Presidential conspiracy was not that well written and rushed.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #2229
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So I started watching Schitts Creek (2 eps in) because people have raved about it, but I'm not sure I really like it that much. Hopefully it gets better?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #2230
Kodos
Resident Alien

It doesn't look like my kind of show, but my wife LOVES it. She's watched it all the way through several times.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:57 AM   #2231
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Right now it's just look at dumb and out of touch these rich people who have to live in a poor town are. Hopefully it gets a bit more interesting.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:50 PM   #2232
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Right now it's just look at dumb and out of touch these rich people who have to live in a poor town are. Hopefully it gets a bit more interesting.

It does. It's a great show. Gets better after the first few episodes as it finds its footing.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:25 PM   #2233
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that is good to know. I thought I was completely missing something. (I don't like every hyped show, but at least I can see why people may hype it)
Old 09-25-2019, 01:40 AM   #2234
Groundhog
Coordinator

6 episodes in to Undone (on Prime). Really enjoyable take on time travel that feels at times to me like a more accessible Donnie Darko with an interesting animation style. It's definitely "strange", but not too strange for my wife, which is usually the problem we have with shows like this.

Bob Odenkirk is really solid, hard to get a solid read on his character so far.
Old 09-25-2019, 05:00 PM   #2235
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I like "Succession" on HBO.... I haven't seen it mentioned..

2nd season, great cast of characters...
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #2236
sabotai
General Manager

BoJack Horseman | Season 6 Trailer | Netflix - YouTube
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #2237
AnalBumCover
College Starter

I just finished Carnival Row on Prime Video.

I liked their take on the fantasy/mythical world, but the story lacked something. Situations seemed forced, and outcomes were fairly predictable. But I'd still watch a second season if/when it comes out.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:37 PM   #2238
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalBumCover View Post
I just finished Carnival Row on Prime Video.

I liked their take on the fantasy/mythical world, but the story lacked something. Situations seemed forced, and outcomes were fairly predictable. But I'd still watch a second season if/when it comes out.

I watched a couple episodes of that just yesterday, and was so effected that I had already managed to forget about them entirely until you brought it up.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 03:57 PM   #2239
stevew
Hall Of Famer

When will El Camino release? Midnight EST?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #2240
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

2 parts. I wonder if that means 20 episodes.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:19 PM   #2241
Edward64
Head Coach

Meet the Patels is a pretty funny documentary comedy on a 29 year old single Indian guy born in the US and is looking for a wife with his parents' help.

I know that arranged marriages are common and Indian guys do go back to India to get married (but its not quite as arranged as it used to be, both involved individuals have a say in the matter).

What I didn't know (but makes alot of sense) is there is a network that maintains "bio data" (essentially eHarmony, Match.com etc. system) for Indians in the US.
Old 09-30-2019, 02:46 PM   #2242
RainMaker
General Manager

It seems weird but Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is really good on Netflix. If you liked the original movie, you'll love this. And if you didn't, you still probably would.

Just a really nice fantasy story. I know the puppets thing may turn people off, but seriously give it a whirl if you're into fantasy/sci-fi type stuff.
Old 09-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #2243
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It seems weird but Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance is really good on Netflix. If you liked the original movie, you'll love this. And if you didn't, you still probably would.

Just a really nice fantasy story. I know the puppets thing may turn people off, but seriously give it a whirl if you're into fantasy/sci-fi type stuff.

Too scary for a somewhat anxious 9 year old boy?
Old 09-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #2244
tarcone
Coordinator

Bill Burr: Paper Tiger is fantastic. I laughed from beginning to end.

Season 3 of Disenchantment was pretty good. I like the show. Hoping it gets renewed. But this was season 3 and it ended with a cliff hanger. You know what that means.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #2245
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Too scary for a somewhat anxious 9 year old boy?

Tough call. It's definitely family friendly. Not too much violence. But there's big spiders and such mixed in. It's PG so nothing is gratuitous unless bugs makes him anxious.

The bigger issue might be that it's a little complex. Can be tough to keep track of the characters. But I personally would have loved this as a kid.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:57 AM   #2246
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I really enjoyed The Dark Crystal. I was a huge fan of the movie when I was a kid, so nostalgia definitely plays a role, but the show is great. It's very typical fantasy fare, but it's well done and it looks amazing. It's one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen.

Of the three main "heroes" two are women and while there is a strong friendship between one of the women heroes and the guy, it's not the focus of either character, which is refreshing to see.

Really, though, the Skeksis remain the best. They are so delightfully evil and selfish that they are the real treat with, as in the movie, The Chamberlain being the best. Simon Pegg nails the voice. It's fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 10:17 AM   #2247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Peaky Blinders in a few days. Other than Chernobyl the best show I've seen in a really long time.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:31 AM   #2248
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Bill Burr: Paper Tiger is fantastic. I laughed from beginning to end.

I suggested this one and watched it with my wife last night. Not my best idea. She was immediately 'triggered' and basically hate-watched the whole thing while I laughed my butt off. Surprisingly we didn't get into an argument, though, so it went a little better than I thought it was going to 15 minutes in!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:45 PM   #2249
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched "Our Girl" Seasons 1 & 2.

Season 1 is essentially a British take on the Afghanistan war with a female medic. Season 2 veered off from Afghanistan to a different female medic in Africa.

Not bad, a little slow at times but overall okay.
Old 10-11-2019, 11:46 AM   #2250
Edward64
Head Coach

Been watching "Family Man" on Prime. Made in India, its about a Indian FBI-like agent chasing down muslim extremist and also having to deal with family issues.

Its subtitled and sometimes it goes by too quickly to easily catch everything. Minor quibbles on plot line and how they hold weapons but overall an entertaining series. The ending is somewhat of a cliff hanger but s2 is confirmed.