Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Izulde's Completely Unscientific NFL First Round Mock Draft (post-Holmes trade)

Sure, why the hell not?

1. QB Sam Bradford - St. Louis Rams
They could still pull the swerve and go DT, but I don't see it happening. I think Bradford's proven the injury concerns are a non-issue and he's looked like the real deal thus far. You can only pass on a potential franchise QB so many times and this time, the Rams don't.

2. DT Ndamukong Suh - Detroit Lions
Yeah, the rumors are growing about the Lions taking an OT, but I don't see it. They still have a lot of holes to fill and Suh is the single best player in this draft, in my opinion. Detroit's made some upgrades to their defense this offseason, but Suh is the crown jewel of the transformation.

3. DT Gerald McCoy - Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Bucs will take a DT and I've heard that McCoy fits their system better anyway, even if the Lions go OT and leave both Suh and McCoy on the board.

4. OT Russell Okung - Washington Redskins
Bye-bye, Mr. Clausen. The Redskins got their signal-caller in Donovan McNabb and now they need to protect him. Okung is considered the best OT in this draft.

5. OT Trent Williams - Kansas City Chiefs
Sure there's Eric Berry, but Matt Cassell needs protection, so I'm betting on Williams here. If both Okung and Williams are gone by the time the Chiefs pick, then I'd say it's Berry.

6. OT Bryan Bulaga - Seattle Seahawks
I still think the Charlie Whitehurst trade was sheer insanity, but much like the Redskins with McNabb, the Seahawks need to protect their shiny new QB and Bulaga is the last one left of the three truly elite OTs.

7. S Eric Berry - Cleveland Browns
The Browns need secondary help and Berry, who in terms of talent alone is a Top 5 pick, drops into their laps. From the orange of the Volunteers to the orange helmets of the Browns Mr. Berry goes in a great value pick.

8. OT Bruce Campbell - Oakland Raiders
Workout warrior = Al Davis <3. Or, the fatass version of Heyward-Bey.

9. QB Jimmy Clausen - Buffalo Bills
Much like the Dolphins with Dan Marino (although we have hopes for Chad Henne, the Bills haven't had a truly good QB since Jim Kelly retired. Clausen drops out of the Top 5, but lands on his feet in the Top 10 and is anointed the next Jim QB savior.

10. CB Joe Haden - Jacksonville Jaguars
A pass-rushing DE is also a priority, because Aaron Kampman can't do it by himself, but the Jaguars really need a CB and Haden's the best one in the class as he slips by the Browns at #7.

11. ILB Rolando McClain - Denver Broncos
The Brandon Marshall situation, if it changes, could mean Dez Bryant here, and who knows, maybe Bryant's the pick anyway. But Denver's ILB situation also is a critical need, so the Broncos snap up McClain. The New York Giants scream in fury as the player they love is gone.

12. WR Dez Bryant - Miami Dolphins
I've been reading there's a lot of chatter about Bryant to the Dolphins and there's a growing Randy Moss sense about him. There's age and talent issues with the defensive front seven, but the draft appears pretty deep in 3-4 D guys and there's probably a shot at getting an upgrade in the second round. Not so WR. And we can at last put the Teddy Ginn, Jr. nightmare to rest with a guy who has true #1 potential writ large all over him.

13. CB Kyle Wilson - San Francisco 49ers
Perhaps a bit early for Wilson, but the 49ers, looking at the teams in between them and their second first round pick, see the RT they need falling to them there, whereas there's a chance maybe some other teams get CB-hungry and gun for the class's #2 CB.

14. RB C.J. Spiller - Seattle Seahawks
The Seahawks need help at DE, S, and CB as well, but I can't talk myself into thinking Pete Carroll will let this electrifying runner go by. Not with his collegiate success with Reggie Bush. Should be the best Seattle back since Shaun Alexander.

15. DE Derrick Morgan - New York Giants
The Giants try to console their butthurt over missing out on McClain by landing Morgan, arguably the best pure passrusher in the draft. Combined with Antrel Rolle, the Giants continue restoring their defensive talent.

16. DE Jason Pierre-Paul - Tennessee Titans
The Titans were hoping to grab Morgan, but they'll be fine with the consolation prize of the USF project as the draft's second-best DE. That's how huge the need is.

17. OL Mike Iupati - San Francisco 49ers
And here's the G/OT the 49ers wanted and considered at #14, but ultimately decided he'd be there. Nice draft for San Fran.

18. WR Demayrius Thomas - Pittsburgh Steelers
The roar of fury over the Santonio Holmes trade is covered up by this big, talented, model citizen (according to FOFC). Also because Pittsburgh missed out on Wilson to improve their DB situation.

19. DE-OLB Brandon Graham - Atlanta Falcons
I've been hearing Graham to the Falcons for months now and nothing's changed regarding that, so it seems reasonable to pencil him in here.

20. S Earl Thomas - Houston Texans
Houston needs secondary help and I suppose there's a lot of people who call me crazy for thinking Thomas will drop this far, but that's just how this mock has played itself out. Plus, I always like the idea of an in-state star playing for a pro team in the same state and the Longhorn fits that bill.

21. TE Jermaine Gresham - Cincinnati Bengals
TE is perhaps Cincinnati's biggest hole and the draft's top player at the position is still here. Carson Palmer celebrates and loves on this offensive weapon to give the Bengals more potency in the air.

22. DE-OLB Sergio Kindle - New England Patriots
The Patriots need an infusion of talent both at DE and OLB for their 3-4, so say hello to Kindle, who could very easily fit both spots. Some have Kindle going as high as 12 to Miami, so he's a terrific value.

23. OLB Sam Weatherspoon - Green Bay Packers
There's no OTs worth taking here, ditto CBs, so the Packers draft Weatherspoon to give Clay Matthews III some assistance and fill another hole. Weatherspoon's also been rising up the charts quite a bit.

24. C Maurkice Pouncey - Philadelphia Eagles
I heard something about Jamaal Jackson's return being iffy, so why not have Philadelphia grab the class's best center, who can also play guard? Admittedly, I'll probably get blasted for this, but it seems to make sense.

25. NT Dan Williams - Baltimore Ravens
Many mocks have Williams going #12 to Miami and maybe it's crazy to think the third-best DT, the perfect fit for a 3-4 D falls this far. But if he does, he won't get past here. The Ravens don't have a space-eating NT on the level of Williams and he'll immediately upgrade the position with a probable Week One starter.

26. OLB Jerry Hughes - Arizona Cardinals
Yeah, they signed Joey Porter, but Porter's super-old and the linebacking corps still needs some help. Hughes is apparently a decent late-first talent, so he'll fit in well here.

27. S Taylor Mays - Dallas Cowboys
The 'Boys need an OT, but there's no one worth taking at this spot. Fortunately, Dallas is also looking for a safety and the talented former Trojan is hanging around just waiting to be put on. Need and value, say hello.

28. RB Ryan Matthews - San Diego Chargers
The Bolts eagerly take Matthews, who unlike Darren Sproles, is capable of being an every down back, and unlike a certain LT, is young. The draft's #2 RB is the perfect solution to the dilemma of San Diego's new #1. Oh and uh, no college/pro state commentary here because of the whole NorCal/SoCal thing.

29. DT Jared Odrick - New York Jets
So much for WR need. If the Jets really did include Leon Washington in the deal, Matthews would've been a good choice, Shonn Greene and LT notwithstanding. But the Green and White instead improve their DT depth by taking Odrick, who from what I've read can play either the 3-4 or the 4-3. Good enough.

30. CB Devin McCourty - Minnesota Vikings
Vikes have to upgrade their secondary and McCourty seems like a good late first-round talent to address that need.

31. DT Terrence Cody - Indianapolis Colts
Poor Colts. Everybody has them taking Pouncey but me. They'll settle for Cody, because when have the Colts ever stopped needing help on run defense in the last several seasons? Yummy space-eater.

32. DE Everson Griffen - New Orleans Saints
The Super Bowl champs are retooling their defense and Griffen is a much better pick from a community standpoint than the character/work ethic issue-ridden Carlos Dunlap.

So there you have it, FOFC. My really bad mock draft that you can all make fun of.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Last edited by Izulde : 04-12-2010 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Fixed typo
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
Sam Cassell needs protection
sam-cassell1.jpg

Last edited by NorvTurnerOverdrive : 04-12-2010 at 03:51 AM.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 03:49 AM   #3
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

28. RB Ryan Matthews - San Diego Chargers
The Bolts eagerly take Matthews, who unlike Darren Sproles, is capable of being an every down back, and unlike a certain LT, is young. The draft's #2 RB is the perfect solution to the dilemma of San Diego's new #1. Oh and uh, no college/pro state commentary here because of the whole NorCal/SoCal thing.

Not making fun of your mock draft...

I don't think San Diego will go with a running back in the first round. I say that because even with both Sproles and LT having low numbers compared to previous years, they still won on the strength of Rivers' arm and leadership. I believe they will draft defense first (possibly trying to pick up Jamal Williams' successor) before drafting offense. They need to stop the run much more than they need to replace LT. I'd say the earliest they pick a RB would be in the 2nd round.

Just my opinion and I enjoyed reading your predictions.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #4
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorvTurnerOverdrive View Post

I've been playing too much DDS:PB lately. Correction made.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:14 AM   #5
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Not making fun of your mock draft...

I don't think San Diego will go with a running back in the first round. I say that because even with both Sproles and LT having low numbers compared to previous years, they still won on the strength of Rivers' arm and leadership. I believe they will draft defense first (possibly trying to pick up Jamal Williams' successor) before drafting offense. They need to stop the run much more than they need to replace LT. I'd say the earliest they pick a RB would be in the 2nd round.

Just my opinion and I enjoyed reading your predictions.

I thought about having them go with Odrick, but Matthews seemed to make just a little bit more sense to me. I could see them going either way in this scenario, though.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just like the TV draft you made it through the first round.

Last edited by Lathum : 04-12-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I can see the Packers doing that. Everyone and their brother has them going with a OT at 23, but there is nothing to suggest in Ted's drafting history that he will draft an O-lineman that high.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Hahahaha WINNER.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Logan
Head Coach

I don't think the Steelers end up using the 1st to replace Holmes. There's not much top of the line WR talent but some good depth, which makes me think they'll wait until the 2nd round. Your guy Thomas might be there anyway.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

It'll keep going!

And well-played.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #11
JSB
n00b

Anthony Davis?
OT Rutgers
Has he slid that much?
JSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB View Post
Anthony Davis?
OT Rutgers
Has he slid that much?

Ugh, I knew there was an OT I was missing who could very easily go first round. I don't think he'd go any higher than mid-1st, though.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

Still wouldn't be surprised if he went at #8 or #9.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Still wouldn't be surprised if he went at #8 or #9.

He will go top 15 at worst. Very much an Andre Smith vibe to him. Way too much talent, people won't let him fall that much, if at all.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:18 PM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Buffalo is in love with Tebow......I honestly see them making that big od a dumb ass move there.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
He will go top 15 at worst. Very much an Andre Smith vibe to him. Way too much talent, people won't let him fall that much, if at all.

Yeah it's pretty funny actually...prior to the combine, he was projected to go as high as #3. Then he falls out of the 1st round completely if you listen to some people. Now McShay has him back at #8 last I saw.

It's ironic that he's pegged at the Raiders in that scenario, as excluding them, the majority of teams seem to rely on a player's documented on-field performance and only use the combine and workouts as a supplement.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #17
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yeah it's pretty funny actually...prior to the combine, he was projected to go as high as #3. Then he falls out of the 1st round completely if you listen to some people. Now McShay has him back at #8 last I saw.

It's ironic that he's pegged at the Raiders in that scenario, as excluding them, the majority of teams seem to rely on a player's documented on-field performance and only use the combine and workouts as a supplement.

He's the best OT in the draft if you ask me. At worst he will be a dominant LG. That said a team in the top 5 can't risk a pick on him because it is worrying how he handled the process and you can't take that type of risk there.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #18
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Now that we just signed Alex Brown, I don't know if the Saints will go DE- I see them going more for a LB (although you have Weatherspoon going a few spots earlier). But I really hope the team drafts by their board and goes BPA, no matter what position.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

No argument from me there.