Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-29-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
miami_fan
Coordinator

Why is this guy still allowed to fight?

Holyfield returning from 21-month layoffBy Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
The "Real Deal" is returning.

Former four-time heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield, 43, is coming back from a 21-month layoff to face journeyman Jeremy Bates in a 10-round bout Aug. 19 at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

"I'm very excited about it," Holyfield told ESPN.com on Wednesday. "Being able to finish what I've started means a lot. I was sidetracked lately, but I am getting back on the path."

A news conference to announce the fight is scheduled for Thursday afternoon at the American Airlines Center, event organizer Lester Bedford said.

Holyfield (38-8-2, 25 KOs) has lost three in a row and is 2-5-1 in his last eight fights. He hasn't fought since dropping a lopsided unanimous decision to Larry Donald on Nov. 13, 2004, in New York.

After the Donald fight, Holyfield was indefinitely suspended by the New York commission for "poor performance," meaning he couldn't fight anywhere in the United States until the suspension was lifted.

However, Holyfield protested and, after passing a series of medical tests more than a year ago, New York boxing officials changed his suspension from a medical one to an administrative one, which allowed him to seek licenses elsewhere.

Last week, Holyfield was granted one in Texas.

"I still want to be the undisputed heavyweight champ of the world," Holyfield said, repeating the mantra he has preached for the past several years. "There is no reason to fight if that was not my goal. Everything I have ever done was with that goal in mind. If my goal wasn't to be the undisputed heavyweight champ of the world then there would be no reason to get back in it."

Holyfield will promote his own event under the banner of his newly created company, Real Deal Events, with Bedford serving as his point man.

Holyfield said he worked out his problems with promoter Don King and that they parted on amicable terms.

"We came to an agreement of what would be best," Holyfield said. "We worked it out and I am free from Don. There are no bad feelings."

Bates (21-11-1, 18 KOs), 32, of Ashland, Ky., is a scrappy fighter who has faced several notable opponents, all of whom he has lost to. Among them: Kirk Johnson (KO2), Brian Minto (TKO8) and Ray Austin (TKO2), who beat him in his last bout on April 1.

"He'll come in there and fight. The guy is not going to lay down," Bedford said of Bates. "Evander has to find out where he is at. We'll take it one fight at a time. If everything goes well in this one, we will take the next step."

Holyfield has been working out on and off for about a year at trainer Ronnie Shield's Houston gym waiting for the opportunity to fight. Holyfield said the time off allowed his chronically injured shoulders to heal. He attributed his poor performance in recent fights to the shoulder problems.

"It was a hindrance and now it is healed," Holyfield said. "The time off did me good. My whole thing was that when I was going through the problems I didn't think it was that bad. But I realized I was trying to make adjustments so I could be comfortable with my shoulders, and it was changing the way I did things. I was compromising myself because of my shoulder."

Shields, who used to work as one of Holyfield's assistant trainers for several years and reunited with him as head trainer for the Donald fight, said Holyfield is as ready as he can be to fight.

"He's ready to go. In the gym, every day, he's like, 'Man, we got to get a fight,'" Shields said. "And the good thing about this is that he is [promoting] it himself. He is not depending on anyone else to do it for him."

Bedford has wanted to bring a major fight to Dallas for years. He said with tickets priced modestly from $35 to $200 and the arena set for 11,000, he thinks Holyfield can be a big draw.

Holyfield agreed: "I have fans everywhere and the people of Dallas have a chance to see the only four-time heavyweight champ of the world."

Bedford said he was working on TV coverage but that "it is not an important element to us right now."

Bedford, who has worked on boxing events throughout Texas for years, admitted he was skeptical about working with Holyfield at first.

"I have known Evander for many years and I am close to Ronnie, and they called me to come down to Houston to meet with them," Bedford said. "I wanted to see Evander for myself because you always have concerns. I wanted to talk to him and make sure everything is OK. The main thing was I wanted to find out if he really wanted to fight. I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to just go through the motions.

"There is no way he will be as good as he used to be or that he expects to be as good, but he will tell you, and Ronnie swears up and down, that Evander shouldn't have taken the four or five fights because had a bad shoulder. He wasn't healthy, so the long layoff was the best thing for him. The shoulder is well now," he said.

Shields said he will be looking for Holyfield to do certain things in the fight, otherwise he might not be able to support Holyfield continuing his career.

"I need to see him throw combinations and I need to see him knock this guy out," Shields said. "This guy, Bates, isn't a world beater, but he's a good puncher and he will push Evander. He doesn't need a guy he can hit with one punch and knock out because that is a waste of everyone's time. We need someone with a credible record who will not get hit with one shot and go down."

Shields admitted that Bates is the sort of opponent who probably wouldn't last more than a couple rounds with a prime Holyfield.

"Without a doubt that is true," Shields said. "We're not talking about the old days. We have to live in reality. This is not the old days and he knows that. This is not the Evander of the early '90s. We are looking at the Evander of 2006, but he is not afraid of his age. He takes care of himself.

"We have one goal, and that is to win the heavyweight championship of the world. We have to start somewhere. This is the start," he said.

Holyfield said if he is satisfied with his performance, he wants to fight again in September.

"I want to fight every month so I can get to where people are saying, 'Hey, you need to fight tougher guys.' Then I will say, 'OK,' and move up to another level," he said. "I've been training and preparing. I am ready. It's been a long journey."

Dan Rafael is the boxing writer for ESPN.com
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:29 PM   #2
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Seeing the title of this thread, it wasn't hard to guess who it would be about.

"Being able to finish what I've started means a lot."

Being able to finish a SENTENCE means a lot Evander, please let it go. I wish he could figure out that every further fight he takes does nothing but obscure the memories of what a great fighter he used to be.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:30 PM   #3
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

what is it with boxers and never knowing when to quit?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
Schmidty
Coordinator

Maybe he needs money. I don't begrudge him doing whatever he wants. It's his freaking life.

What we think of his "legacy" means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Maybe he needs money. I don't begrudge him doing whatever he wants. It's his freaking life.

What we think of his "legacy" means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

With all due respect, if you'd have listened to Holyfield at any time over the last 4 years, or read the article above, you'd have heard Holyfield repeatedly point to his legacy as his motivation, which is what makes it so tragic.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:22 AM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy
With all due respect, if you'd have listened to Holyfield at any time over the last 4 years, or read the article above, you'd have heard Holyfield repeatedly point to his legacy as his motivation, which is what makes it so tragic.

I don't care what his reasoning was, I repeat: It's HIS life.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:50 AM   #7
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't care what his reasoning was, I repeat: It's HIS life.

Dear Schmidty, Oh Arbiter of Cosmic Justice

In MY life, I'm simply responding to a message board subject, and you're the contrary, begrudging asswipe.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:52 AM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy
Dear Schmidty, Oh Arbiter of Cosmic Justice

In MY life, I'm simply responding to a message board subject, and you're the contrary, begrudging asswipe.

And people think I'm a jerk.

Jeesh.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:57 AM   #9
SunDevil
College Prospect

Oh snap. We got somebody fuckin' with Schmidty again. Where is the hatchet?
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 02:01 AM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Oh snap. We got somebody fuckin' with Schmidty again. Where is the hatchet?

I don't even know what I did.

I just said that I think Holyfield should be able to do what he wants because only he knows his own self.

Random guy took a random shot at me, no big deal. I don't know him and I don't hate him.

Now let's get this thread back on track.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:14 AM   #11
Ragone
Pro Rookie

alls Holyfield needs to do is spend a day with muhammed ali..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 03:31 AM   #12
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

he thinks even at 2/3s his old self he could take on most of what is out there. he doesn't hold current boxers in very high regard to say the least
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

HE can do whatever he wants. However why is the state of Texas granting him a license to fight? Aren't they supposed to be concerned with the health of the athlete? It would not be the first time that a sports organization did something to prevent a guy from participating in that sports against his will.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:13 AM   #14
Arctus
H.S. Freshman Team

As a boxing fan I am saddened (but not at all surprised) that Evander was granted a license.
Arctus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:22 AM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan
HE can do whatever he wants. However why is the state of Texas granting him a license to fight? Aren't they supposed to be concerned with the health of the athlete? It would not be the first time that a sports organization did something to prevent a guy from participating in that sports against his will.

Good point. From that standpoint, I totally agree.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

{cue Spongebob announcer voice}

"Over three years later ..."

{/announcer voice}

Holyfield's Feb. bout in Uganda canceled *| ajc.com

It’s the new Evander Holyfield story: “Around the World in Zero fights.”

After having previous fights canceled in South Korea and Ethiopia due to lack of financing, Holyfield’s proposed fight/sideshow against Frans Botha in Uganda Feb. 20 is off for the same reason. How much rejection will one man take before he finally decides to retire?

Ken Sanders, Holyfield’s manager, confirmed Thursday that Ugandan officials, “never came with the money. They were supposed to send us $500,000 for two months and they never did. We’re still trying to get it [in the U.S.] for March 6 but we haven’t got it done yet.”

Holyfield, 47, does have an April 24 fight scheduled against Derric Rossy in Las Vegas. He originally was supposed to meet Rossy in Jeju Island, South Korea, in November. Previously, he was supposed to meet Sammy Retta in Ethiopia in July as part of a fundraising even for AIDS charities. Both fell apart.

Sanders: “I spent a whole year between Ethiopia, Korea and Uganda, people supposedly sending money, and with no deal. I’m about through with this out-of-the-country deal.”

Holyfield has had financial problems over the last couple of years, related to his Fayette County home and child support. He currently is seeking to renegotiate child support payments to his second wife, Janice Itson Holyfield.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

47? Who'd pay to see a 47 year old guy fight?

Although clearly he's in tough shape financially, which is the real motivation. Shame he never developed outside business interests to carry him through - one thing you can say about Foreman is at least he did that.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Let's ask Hershel Walker that, DT...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 10:19 AM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

You beat me to it.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Shame he never developed outside business interests to carry him through - one thing you can say about Foreman is at least he did that.

Oh Holyfield did that too.

Problem is that they all pretty much ended in disaster.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Ken Sanders, Holyfield’s manager, confirmed Thursday that Ugandan officials, “never came with the money. They were supposed to send us $500,000 for two months and they never did. We’re still trying to get it [in the U.S.] for March 6 but we haven’t got it done yet.”

Sanders: “I spent a whole year between Ethiopia, Korea and Uganda, people supposedly sending money, and with no deal. I’m about through with this out-of-the-country deal.”
[/i]

If I didn't know better i swear Holyfield is a Nigerian prince
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #22
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD View Post

yeah, cept Hershel looked like he was in better shape than...me.

he looked JACKED.

And frankly I thought he looked pretty competent in that fight - even moreso for a guy who hasn't been training in MMA for years and years. he definitely didn't embarass himself.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 02-01-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh Holyfield did that too.

Problem is that they all pretty much ended in disaster.

well obviously there was an inferred "successful" in my statement right before "outside"
Old 04-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

47-year-old Holyfield stops Botha in 8th *| ajc.com

LAS VEGAS — Former heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield is using George Foreman's comeback more than 15 years ago as inspiration.

The 47-year-old Holyfield (43-10-2, 28 KOs) knocked out 41-year-old Frans Botha with 2:05 left in the eighth round Saturday night. Holyfield (43-10-2) knocked the defending champion down 31 seconds earlier with a right to the chin.

Botha (47-5-3) beat refree Russell Mora's count, but Mora then stopped the fight with the South African backed into a corner.

"I'm going to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world," Holyfield said.

Two judges, Jerry Roth and Glenn Feldman, had Botha ahead 67-66 when the fight was stopped. The other judge, Herb Santee, had it 69-64 for Holyfield.

"I'm happy Botha gave me an opportunity," Holyfield said. "When people talk about you, it's who I fought. I fought the best."

There were only 3,127 people at the Thomas & Mack Center, most rooting for Holyfield in his first fight since Dec. 20, 2008, when he lost a majority decision to Nikolay Valuev. ... At the post-fight press conference, it was mentioned Holyfield would like to fight one of the Klitschko brothers, who hold three of the four major heavyweight champions. Wladimir Klitschko holds two titles, while Vitali holds one.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
47-year-old Holyfield stops Botha in 8th *| ajc.com

"I'm going to be the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world," Holyfield said.

At the post-fight press conference, it was mentioned Holyfield would like to fight one of the Klitschko brothers, who hold three of the four major heavyweight champions. Wladimir Klitschko holds two titles, while Vitali holds one.

The first part is just...sad.

The second part is just...scary. They might kill him.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #26
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
The second part is just...scary. They might kill him.

sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #27
Edward64
Head Coach

You know, say what you will but the bottom of the best is still pretty darn good.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #28
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMetTrentGreen View Post
he thinks even at 2/3s his old self he could take on most of what is out there. he doesn't hold current boxers in very high regard to say the least

It's like that scene from Cobb.
Biographer:"If you played in the major leagues today, what do you think you'd bat against today's level of competition?"
Cobb:"Oh probably .250 or .260"
Biographer: "Your career average was .360, what do you think would make a difference today?"
Cobb:"I'm 76 damned years old"
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote