Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #1
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Fishing Thread (Bass/Trout/Others..etc)

Moving back home to Utah has me fishing right now at least 2 to 3 times a week. I am now getting into the Bass aspect as well as we now have some great fisheries.

I figured why not start a thread...

So lets go, who here is into fishing? What's your preference (Besides Trout, it's all a given we love the trout)? Your Rigs? Pics?

I am a spinning rod guy, no boat (yet) do a lot of shore and river fishing.

Some of my favorite locations I fish at in Utah are:

Strawberry Reservoir (Rainbows, Cutthroats and Kokanee Salmon)
Deer Creek Reservoir (Rainbows, Small Mouth Bass)
Utah Lake (White Bass, Catfish)
Provo River (Rainbows, Browns)

In WNY:

Lake Erie (Small Mouth Bass, Lake Trout)
Cassadaga Lake (Panfish, Bass)
Current Creek (Rainbows, Browns)

I will dig through my pics and upload a few of some of the nice Bows I have caught this year when I get home....

MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

I've been fishing since college. I live on a small lake/pond and used to go fishing in a jonboat/trolling motor all the time until kids starting getting older and other priorities happened.

Primarily bass and bream fishing in ponds (a couple times on a river) due to accessibility but have been saltwater fishing 3-4 times. Really enjoyed catching redfish in the Tampa area.

Light to ultra-light spinning rod guy, 6-8lb test line. Plastics - worm, jigs and jerk baits. Biggest bass was about 8.5 lbs.

Strange fishing experiences - I've hooked a bullfrog and a snapping turtle, both on a plastic worm, and had a low flying duck hit my line and crash into the water.

When I retire, I would like to move closer to saltwater where I can do more saltwater fishing -- more variety than bass, bream, crappie and catfish that we find in the south.

Last edited by Edward64 : 06-20-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:25 PM   #3
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Love to fish.
Bought our current hosue JUST because it had a pond in the back yard (on my property) Its stocked with Bass, Cats adn bream.

Me and my son (14) went off shore fishing for Memorial day and had a blast.

Had a boat for years but sold it last year.

Im a baitcast reel fan. And fish all kinds of tackle.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 AM   #4
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Bought our current hosue JUST because it had a pond in the back yard (on my property) Its stocked with Bass, Cats adn bream.

Me and my son (14) went off shore fishing for Memorial day and had a blast.

Had a boat for years but sold it last year.

That's why we bought this second house, had a 40 acre farm pond in the subdivision. About 14-15 feet at deepest. My son started fishing 12-13 and he was really into it but then other sports took priority.

How big is your pond?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #5
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I can finally ask FOFC to "show me your trout" w/o having it sound weird.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #6
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I love to fish but I really don't have any idea where to go that I wouldn't be trespassing or have to pay a fee every time I wanted to toss a line in the water. There was a spot in the town I used to live in that was public and I would go from time to time but the fishing wasn't very good and now that I live in a different town it would be too long of a drive. We are looking to buy a house and one is on a lake that is supposed to have really good fishing. It's my front runner at this point.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #7
MizzouCowboy
H.S. Freshman Team

I love to fish and try to go as often as I can, which unfortunately for me hasn't been much this year. I got to go trout! fishing last weekend at the White River in Arkansas and had a blast. I only caught 5 rainbows, but several people were saying they didn't even get a bite. It was a free fishing weekend in Arkansas, so it was packed and to there was too much pressure on the fish.

My favorite fishing is for catfish. I mostly fish for channels due to how many you can get in a short period of time, but sometimes I try (and fail) to get a trophy Blue or Flathead.

For eating I think there is nothing as good as a crappie. Fun as hell to catch also, and usually the numbers are huge. When I was younger I bass fished 100%, but anymore it seems I just wear my old ass out too fast.

I have several rods and reels, I believe I am up to 15 due to my latest fly rod... of course that doesn't include the one I bought for my wife. I mostly use baitcasters, but will use a spinning reel with crappie and some techniques for channel cats. My go to reel is an Abu Garcia C3 6500 and/or 4600. I am an Abu Garcia fan boy. For Life.

I fish out of a kayak. It's just so amazing, pure serenity for me. And a helluva workout if you want.
MizzouCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #8
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouCowboy View Post

I fish out of a kayak. It's just so amazing, pure serenity for me. And a helluva workout if you want.

I went up to the Sylvania Wilderness in Wisconsin a few years ago and fished out of a kayak, I loved it. I will probably end up getting one here as well as the 14' Aluminum Boat.

Right now my Rod is an Ugly Stick, ultra light, it's like 5'8" and I have a Shimano Sahara ultralight spinning reel.

I bought my GF a nice Flueger rod and reel and I love it more than my setup. The reel is smooth and very sensitive.

Between the 2 of us, we have 7 kids and are sitting at 9 setups and I will be buying #10 today for part of my daddy's day gift. Part #2 will be tomorrow when we head up to Deer Creek Reservoir here in Utah and she has rented a boat for the day for both of us to go trolling. We will be into the Trout, Walleye and Bass up there, so it's going to be cool.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:42 AM   #9
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubb93 View Post
I love to fish but I really don't have any idea where to go that I wouldn't be trespassing or have to pay a fee every time I wanted to toss a line in the water. There was a spot in the town I used to live in that was public and I would go from time to time but the fishing wasn't very good and now that I live in a different town it would be too long of a drive. We are looking to buy a house and one is on a lake that is supposed to have really good fishing. It's my front runner at this point.

This is what I hated about WNY. I had no choice but to sit down and find all the rivers I could fish on because the only way to hit the lakes was with a boat as all shores were taken up by private owners.

Here in Utah, most lakes are public land so no cabins or anything tying up shore lines.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Planning on doing some trout fishing next week in northern New Mexico. After years of spin casting, I'm going to give a fly rod a try.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM   #11
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Planning on doing some trout fishing next week in northern New Mexico. After years of spin casting, I'm going to give a fly rod a try.

Awesome, I don't have the patience for a Fly Rod yet...
Old 06-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
That's why we bought this second house, had a 40 acre farm pond in the subdivision. About 14-15 feet at deepest. My son started fishing 12-13 and he was really into it but then other sports took priority.

How big is your pond?

Its just about 2 acres. Nothing real exciting. About 30' deep in the center. But it serves me and the kids well.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:37 PM   #13
MacroGuru
Coordinator

We head out at 445 am to get to the lake, I am hoping to land some nice ones tomorrow.

We hit the small river by our house tonight. She landed 3 firsts for her. Her first white bass, her first Black Bullhead and her first channel cat.

Tomorrow I am hoping she hooks up her first walleye.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 PM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

My five year old decided to show off a bit last weekend while fishing with her trusty Barbie rod with her grandpa.

Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #15
MacroGuru
Coordinator

So as I said, we were going out on a Boat for half a day, it produced almost nothing, we caught one 13" Rainbow that weighed just over a pound.

But we went to another lake for the second half and fished from shore and caught these

It was a great day!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:13 AM   #16
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Also, some of my fun times from earlier in the year