Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2003, 05:34 PM   #1
MrBug708
Head Coach

Angry Greedy Bastards these days

Remember my accident last year? It was about a year ago and my truck was totalled. Well, they put a claim into my insurance company a couple months after the accident and the claim was dismissed by the insurance company because she asked for me to pay for her cars damages (she hydroplaned a few minutes before me) but there wasn't enough to award her anything.

Well now, I just got a notice that I'm being sued in small claims court for "bodily" damage. Bodily damaged? I glanced off her car at 5 MPH when she was off on the side of the road.

I've been in accidents before and I have never once thought that I should sue the other person. The insurance company paid for me to see a Chiropractor and gave me a small amount to remove any responsibility to injuries that came from the result of the accident. My mom even yelled at the Chiropractor for wanting to charge more then what the normal rate was

*sigh*

MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 PM   #2
MrBug708
Head Coach

I guess my biggest gripe is why didn't she file an injury claim with the insurance company right away. Why wait one year?
Old 12-01-2003, 05:45 PM   #3
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

have your mom yell at her
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 05:47 PM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

* cut to reaction shot of Mrs Hassleback in the stands *
Old 12-01-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Being 21, it doesnt work well then when you are 17
Old 12-01-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
Dutch
"Dutch"

I had a similar story, sorry, this is long, but all true.

In L.A., I was backing out of a parking spot at the bank and the lady to my left was backing out at the exact same time. Well, while I was looking over my shoulder to see if there was traffic behind me, I never saw her back out and our rear bumbers hit. I had no damage, she lost a taillight.

A year or so later, I was sued for 50,000 dollars for causing her to miss work which stressed her out so bad her sickle cell anemia flared up and caused a lot of medical bills.

We had to meet for an arbitration hearing at a location in downtown L.A. to see if it was worth going to court or not.

Funny part was that the lawyer we went to visit was named Kwaku B. Duran or something like that and his law office was right next to a Black Panther headquarters in downtown LA. My State Farm lawyer and me were pretty scared the whole time!

I showed up about 30 minutes early and was in my military uniform. A kid on a bike rode up and asked me if I owned the law office. I said no, and he asked why I was guarding it. I said I wasn't guarding it but waiting for Mr. Duran. I had an appointment afterall.

A few moments later a couple of older men, apparently bums in their late 50's walked up. One says, "Hey! Look at him, he's in the Air Force! Hey? My friend here wants to join the Air Force. Can you help him out?"

I say, "I don't think so."

And he laughs and says, "Why's that? He ain't sssmmmaaarrrttt enough for you?"

I say, "No, I think he's too old."

And they walked away.

Then this guy comes out of the Black Panther headquarters. I only say that because there are a lot of African styled flags out front, I called them "battle flags" to my buddies back at the base. Anyway, this guy comes out in a nice suit (minus the jacket, but a brown suede under vest) and a very nice hat. He lights a big fat stogey and looks at me, practically up and down.

Then he says, "Can I help you?"

I explain I am waiting for Mr. Kwaku B. Duran for an appointment with him at 1 o'clock. He says, "Well, that's a few minutes from now. Perhaps you would like to take a stroll along these nice streets and look at the shops until he arrives?"

I'm thinking, dude, we're in the fucking 'hood. I'm not about to leave my car here and walk anywhere, but I say, "No thanks, I'll wait."

He looks at me again and strolls back inside. I decide maybe hanging around isn't such a good idea and I get back in my car and go for a ride. I come back just in time for my meeting and I first notice that all the "battle flags" I had seen were gone. The building next to Kwaku B. Duran's office was all but packed up and vanished.

It's about 1 o'clock and Mr. Kwaku B. Duran is not there. His office is locked up. And the plaintiff, a black woman in here late 30's, isn't even here yet. But just a few moments later, a white Bronco drives up (no, not O.J.'s) and a scrawny white dude gets out of it and glances around nervously. He sees me and runs over to me, "Are you Mike?" It was my State Farm representative.

"Yep, that's me."

He stares around again, "Normally during arbitration, both sides must agree on a lawyer to do this, so if this doesn't go well, we can protest." And a moment later, "Is it safe to park my truck here?"

"I have no idea." I say. We stand around for about 10 minutes before Mr. Kwaku B. Duran shows up.

Mr. Duran speaks without looking at us, "Are you here for the arbitration hearing?"

"Yes, sir."

He opens the door to his office and goes inside, "Have a seat inside."

His office has pictures of African art and maps of different countries in Africa hanging everywhere. It smells weird and is very dusty. I notice that there is a door that links his office with the headquarters building of the Black Panthers (or whatever that building is).

He states the obvious by saying that the plaintiff isn't here yet, but that he will give here until 1:30 before he forgets the whole thing. He walks into a back office. I stare at my State Farm guy and tell him that I think this is a Black Panther thing and it's kind of spooking me out. He agreed.

Anyway, a few minutes later the plaintiff shows up with a friend. When the lady and I had our incident at the bank, she was very friendly. And I think she was hustled into believing she could sue for money. So her friend, who must've put her up to it, did all the talking (like she was there!) and the lady who was actually sueing never spoke a word. So, the lady who does all the talking, draws diagrams and mentions some weird 8 point turn manuever I did so I could go the wrong direction...I mean, it was all BS and it was like a miniturized traffic incident "Magic Bullet Theory" type of dialogue. Truly amazing, and all BS.

The meeting lasted about 15 minutes, the lady did most of the talking, and I explained my side of the incident, in the very plain simple truth without accusing anybody of anything (I mean, it was a tail light for goodness sake).

Mr. Kwaku B. Duran then says that he is not willing to allow her to pursue the lawsuit with the limited ammount of facts and the case was dropped.

But man, what a weird incident just because of a broken tail light! Only in LA...

Last edited by Dutch : 12-01-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

SOunds all like BS to me Bug. Some people will try to take anything that happens to them and cash in. I have a similar story....but it's not long.

I got into an accident a few months after getting my license. Begginger's mistake, and yes, it was completely my fault. Keep in mind, I hit a car going about 10-15 MPH.

I get out, look at his car. I don't see a scratch. (My piece of shit car however, had some damage, but not a lot. A broken grill and the hood was bent. His car...maybe a dent.)

Well, he talks to my mom over the course of several days, and explains that he has 4 sons and has been through this with them. He says everythign is fine, and that he will not go to the insurance company.

Sure enough, the next day, my mom calls the insurance place, just to see if anything's changed, and he most definatly did go to the insurance company. Not only that, he was seeking a lot of money in damage. Apparently, this was his second high money claim in a short amount of time.

So, the insurance company sent someone to check it out. Busted asshole. He didn't get his money.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #8
Craptacular
College Starter

When I was in high school, I got in an accident in Milwaukee after a Brewers' game on Sunday afternoon. Heavy traffic, but moving about 50 mph. I'm in the left lane (to exit), and a lady in the middle lane moves over and then slams on the brakes for no reason. I hit her and got hit from behind (don't know which was first). She was driving a big old boat, and may have had a dented fender. My car is totalled, and the car behind me has a bashed-in front. An ambulance is called, but no one requires medical attention. My car gets towed, and I never see it again. No one got a ticket, although I and the driver of the rear car COULD have and the lady in front SHOULD have.

Anyway, about a week later, we hear that this lady put in an insurance claim for injuries suffered from the accident. Remember, she refused any medical attention, and was walking around fine. We then found out she had done the exact same thing the day before ... another accident where she stopped on the freeway, got hit, refused medical attention, and then claimed injury. Unfortunately, I never found out what happened to her. My insurance paid for my car and no one elses. She should have been thrown in jail. At least I didn't get sued ... probably would have if it happened today.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

I doubt anything happens but I'm sure it is a load of BS.

The latest I heard was that her claim from the insurance company was denied because she didn't have collision coverage, so the insurance company said she didn't have a claim since they arent responsible for her lack of coverage
Old 12-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #10
Airhog
Captain Obvious

my brother was sued in small claims court after a guy intentionally caused my brother to hit him. We got a lawyer and the case was dismissed. then he tried to sue us again like a year later. Same result.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 03:25 AM   #11
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Anyway, about a week later, we hear that this lady put in an insurance claim for injuries suffered from the accident. Remember, she refused any medical attention, and was walking around fine. We then found out she had done the exact same thing the day before ... another accident where she stopped on the freeway, got hit, refused medical attention, and then claimed injury. Unfortunately, I never found out what happened to her. My insurance paid for my car and no one elses. She should have been thrown in jail. At least I didn't get sued ... probably would have if it happened today.

Crap, that sounds like a fairly common case of insurance fraud. I hope your insurance company got the whole story from you, realized it, and reported her to the police. This is serious business. People do this shit for a living. What happened to you is a text book case from what I understand of it.

But I'm going on secondhand info. I am sure someone here who works in insurance can confirm it.

If it is what I think it is, you yourself were probably safe from being sued. A big lawsuit brings too much attention on these things. Crooks like this want to put the insurance company in a position to just pay a relatively small amount to make it go away. That's the scam.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:58 AM   #12
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Its amazing how many assholes there are in this world.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:00 AM   #13
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Fitting I read this thread and then get a phone call from my girlfriend saying she was in an accident on her way to work.

She decides to obey traffic laws and slows down at the yellow light but the Police Officer behind her accelerates and destroys her bumper. Should be interesting to see what the accident report reads on that one. Fortunately she says she was feeling ok, her passenger (while declining medical attention) is feeling pretty sore from the jolt.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #14
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

My mom was hit by a drunk sherriff in 1980 well she was going 60 on the highway. It was about a month after I was born and it totalled her car, lucky I wasn't with. He rear ended her too. Oddly, he wasn't sighted for anything. She did get a brand new car though. Thank you Clay County!
Old 12-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #15
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Well in her case its Prince George's County and now she's complaining that she's not feeling well. Should be interesting to see how this one turns out.
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 11:34 AM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Crap, that sounds like a fairly common case of insurance fraud.

"What a lucky guy too, had just taken out a $3 million fire insurance policy a few days ago."

"Doesn't it strike you as odd that he took out a $3 million insurance policy days before his bar burned down?"

"No, actually it happens more than you'd think."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 09:57 PM   #17
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Crap, that sounds like a fairly common case of insurance fraud. I hope your insurance company got the whole story from you, realized it, and reported her to the police. This is serious business. People do this shit for a living. What happened to you is a text book case from what I understand of it.
CR

Yeah, that's what we assumed right away. I was still under my parents' insurance at the time, so my Dad dealt with everything. I'm not sure if our company ever pursued anything or not.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote