Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-12-2018, 10:21 PM   #1
sabotai
General Manager

What Are You Reading - 2018 Edition

On GoodReads, I signed up for the 52 book challenge. Well, it's May so of course I'm way behind. Just finished my 8th book this year. So I've got 44 to read in a little over half a year. I think I can actually get there, because 1) I'm partially through several books as I like to hop around, 2) I got into playing EU4 and HOI4 a lot, as well as bing watching some TV series, and 3) On my afternoon walks, I've been almost exclusively listening to podcasts, but I'm going to now start on some audiobooks that have been figuratively collecting dust for years.

So anyway, book #8: Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb (Book #1 of the Farseer Trilogy)

The book starts off with a strike against it. It's in first person. What I hate about first person is that you can usually just replace the "I"s with the character's name or pronoun, and change the verb conjugation from first to third person, and you wouldn't know the difference. If you're going to give me 1st person, take advantage of it. This book does that, so that strike gets taken away.

I really enjoyed the book. It was one of the better fantasy novels I've read so far. Hard to talk about it without giving anything away, though I'm sure many here have already read it. I really liked all of the characters. Thought the pacing was good. Had a few troupe-y things in it (a little bit of monologuing going on), but otherwise, I really liked it.

My Rating: 4/5

Next up for Fantasy: Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive #2)

Already Reading
Historical Fiction: The Wallace by Nigel Tranter (just started)
Audiobook: The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman (5% through - just started as well)

Last edited by sabotai : 05-12-2018 at 10:42 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2) I got really distracted by some epic EU4 and HOI4 play throughs

Whose?

(I ask since I've been rationing various playthroughs/LPs lately and I've only got a few more to go before I get sadly caught up with my current batch of regulars)
Old 05-12-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
sabotai
General Manager

I just meant I played those two games a lot, though I see how I worded that oddly.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I just meant I played those two games a lot, though I see how I worded that oddly.

Oops, my bad. Shows you were my head is regarding watching vs playing lately I guess.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:29 PM   #5
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just finished Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler, and was blown away. Wondering if any of the folks here have read it, had reactions to the themes of flow and human potential?

Last edited by hoopsguy : 07-28-2018 at 09:30 PM.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #6
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Just finished Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler, and was blown away. Wondering if any of the folks here have read it, had reactions to the themes of flow and human potential?

Just read a synopsis and am intrigued. Could you go in-depth about what blew you away? I was thinking of getting this for my 16 year old basketball player. Could she take away from it what it is trying to spell out?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
hoopsguy
General Manager

Basically, the author details accomplishments that took place in sports like surfing, mountain climbing, skiing, skate boarding etc that more or less redefined the art of possible. He identifies this flow state as a common denominator across each of those disciplines, and shares some science behind flow ... what regions of brain are active/dormant, what chemical reactions take place, etc. Finally, he proposes that this is something that is attainable by anyone with practice, and that it has application in everyday life and an opportunity to enrich society. That is the quick-and-dirty summary.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:20 AM   #8
QuikSand
lolzcat

I recently finished Jonah Goldberg's Suicide of the West, as a general break in tradition for me, as I do not often read about politics for leisure. I think he makes an interesting, though not bulletproof, case that our current political trends are corrosive in nature. It's honestly hard not to feel that way, but he assembles a case for it pretty well. Alas, short on prescription for a remedy.

If you like this sort of political philosophy a.k.a. navel-gazing, I would recommend it as worth the time.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM   #9
corbes
College Benchwarmer

2018 to date:

Madeline Miller, Circe (5*)
Madeline Miller, The Song of Achilles (5*)

Samanta Schweblin, Fever Dream (4*)
Gabe Habash, Stephen Florida (4*)
Leonardo Sciascia, The Day of the Owl (4*)
Jesmyn Ward, Sing Unburied Sing (4*)

Tayari Jones, An American Marriage (3*)
Colm Toibin, House of Names (3*)
Min Jin Lee, Pachinko (3*)
Annie Proulx, Barkskins (3*)
Domenico Starnone, Trick (3*)
John Green, Turtles All The Way Down (3*)
Gabriel Tallent, My Absolute Darling (3*)

Dan Brown, Origin (2*)
Nathan Hill, The Nix (2*)

Currently reading: Tommy Orange, There There

On deck:
Leonardo Sciascia, To Each His Own
Andrew Martin, Early Work
Ingrid Rojas Contreras, Fruit of the Drunken Tree
Alex Perry, The Good Mothers
Jesse Ball, Census
Julian Herbert, Tomb Song
Rachel Kushner, Mars Room
Roberto Bolano, Savage Detectives
Anthony Quinn, Freya
Mohsin Hamid, Exit West
Gabriel Garcia Marquez, The General In His Labyrinth
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. Yes, I'm a bit behind the times...
Old 07-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

I've done very little reading this year. Trying my first audio book on Audible - Susan Wise Bauer's History of the Ancient world. I struggled with the book, and I'm struggling a bit with the audio book too, but now that the Persians have entered the picture and it's a little bit more familiar territory the names are starting to stick, rather than just a seemingly endless tide of difficult Assyrian/Babylonian names (...not to mention Chinese and Indian...) that began to bleed together in my mind.

Looking forward to picking up the Lovecraft County audiobook once I'm done. It is geo-blocked on my kindle, but is available through the Audible store.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:37 PM   #12
RainMaker
General Manager

The Arm - If you love baseball, this is a great read. It's essentially about Tommy John Surgery. Gives a history, tells the story of a couple guys recovering, talks about different approaches to pitching, and so on. Sounds kind of boring but it's similar to Michael Lewis books where a story is woven in to keep you engaged. I think it'll make you a smarter baseball fan.

American Lion - Andrew Jackson is one of the most fascinating Presidents the country has ever had and this book is terrific. Focuses more on his Presidency than pre-Presidency. I did the audiobook on this one and while I find the voices to be hit or miss on most books, this was definitely a hit. Was like listening to a great storyteller.

1491 and 1493 - Two books on the history of the Americas. 1491 covers what was going on before Columbus got here and was just a solid book.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote