Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2009, 03:07 PM   #351
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, all the games are updated, and with Steam, new games automatically download updates as they become available.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #352
stevew
Hall Of Famer

gamestop is running "buy 2 used, get one free" If you have an edge card it's actually a good deal. The store I was in was getting pounded with people buying stuff, and they didn't have nearly the selection that they did at the beginning of the day.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #353
rjolley
College Starter

They're running that sale again? How long does it last?
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #354
stevew
Hall Of Famer

No idea how long it runs for. I got:

Mario Smash Brothers Wii
Wario Ware Moves Wii
Kingdom Hearts DS
Monopoly 360
Some Inyuyasha DS game
Geometry Wars DS

All that was like a total of 110 after tax, I didn't really maximize the deals or anything, as we got about 40 dollars worth of free games. I got tired of them asking about the Edge Card all the time, but in many ways it's actually worth it(the 10% off used games deal stacks with the b2g1)
Old 12-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #355
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Today's specials include:

Torchlight - 4.99
Prototype - 19.99
Star Wars Premium Pack - 24.99
Lumines + Expansion - 2.99
Dragon Age Deluxe Ed. - 48.74
Universe at War Earth Assault - 4.99
Dragon Age - 37.49

Surprised to see both Dragon Age's on there, plus the Star Wars pack has like 10 games. Torchlight has to be a must buy at that price.

well I'm glad I waited on Torchlight. I was going to buy it yesterday.
Dragon Age is tempting, but I'm going to hold off - I just don't have the time (especially with all the other stuff I've been buying)
Old 12-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #356
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Wow i can't believe i never bought Company of Heroes before. It's a really really fun WWII based RTS/Tactical game, after playing it a bit today, i want to watch Band Of Brothers tonight for like 10th time

I love Company of Heroes, play it all the time. or used to. I started having issues with it when I bought the 2nd expansion (which apparently wasn't very good). after a bit of runaround, I got Steam to refund that purchase, but still couldn't get the original and 1st expansion to run.

After futzing around one final time before giving up entirely, I think I finally figured it out the other day. it was confused by having my My Documents folder on a different partition than my root OS, which is a) an issue I've run into a lot recently and b) incredibly fucking stupid
Old 12-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #357
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

the BUY2Get1 at GS is only today and tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #358
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
I love Company of Heroes, play it all the time. or used to. I started having issues with it when I bought the 2nd expansion (which apparently wasn't very good). after a bit of runaround, I got Steam to refund that purchase, but still couldn't get the original and 1st expansion to run.

After futzing around one final time before giving up entirely, I think I finally figured it out the other day. it was confused by having my My Documents folder on a different partition than my root OS, which is a) an issue I've run into a lot recently and b) incredibly fucking stupid

I'm running the 2nd expansion on windows 7 64bit with My Documents folder in a secondary hard disk and have zero issues.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:30 PM   #359
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
the BUY2Get1 at GS is only today and tomorrow.

For people unfamiliar, they run it about 4 or 5 times a year and if you're going to buy a lot- get the Edge card, it's well worth it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #360
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

Incredibly fucking stupid of the developers. What the drive letter would have to do with anything in THIS day and age is beyond me.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:33 AM   #361
SackAttack
Head Coach

Currently wavering on the X-Com Collection for $10 and the King's Quest Collection for $5.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #362
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
For people unfamiliar, they run it about 4 or 5 times a year and if you're going to buy a lot- get the Edge card, it's well worth it.

SI

Absolutely is worth it, I just meant this current promo is just this weekend, but yes, usually about 4 or 5 times a year. With an edge card you can make out rather well sometimes.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #363
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

hmm Hearts of Iron for $7.49 is tempting...
Hearts of Iron III on Steam
Old 12-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #364
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Currently wavering on the X-Com Collection for $10

Crap. I'm already playing Torchlight and now have Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising in the queue. That's a really good price, not sure if I'd have time to play it. Sigh.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:34 AM   #365
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Currently wavering on the X-Com Collection for $10 and the King's Quest Collection for $5.

Anyone have the X-Com Collection? Are they all updated to work with Windows 7?
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #366
dwardzala
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
hmm Hearts of Iron for $7.49 is tempting...
Hearts of Iron III on Steam

Has the bugginess of the game been fixed yet? Didn't play the first two, but I am wondering if I really want to buy this even at $7.50. There must be a reason its 75% off this soon after release.
dwardzala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:35 PM   #367
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Their system requirements *claim* Vista compatibility. But yeah, if anyone takes the plunge, let us know.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #368
MrBug708
Head Coach

I bought the starwars pack, but was curious on which games on it were actually good to play?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #369
PilotMan
Head Coach

I broke down again yesterday and bought Universe at War: Earth Assault for 5 bucks. Had some trouble getting it to run but after running the GFW app, and updating it, it works fine.

About 5 min from today's specials.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #370
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I bought the starwars pack, but was curious on which games on it were actually good to play?

hmm let me see: i've only played jedi acadmey 1 so far, but it's worth it. i've gotten plenty of hours out of that game alone.

i'm sure others have played more of them...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #371
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Their system requirements *claim* Vista compatibility. But yeah, if anyone takes the plunge, let us know.

I bought the original X-Com off Steam. It wasn't part of the "X-Com Collection", but I am not sure that makes any difference. Anyway, I have played quite a bit of X-Com I got through Steam on my laptop, which is using Vista and have had zero problems with it. It's the best I've seen X-Com run since it first came out, to be honest. Can't speak for Windows 7.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #372
PilotMan
Head Coach

Today's deals on Steam:

The Orange Box - 14.99
Space Siege - 4.99
Prey - 2.25
Killing Floor - 4.99
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box - 7.49

Orange Box would be the buy of the day, but I just can't get into Half-Life, the first one gave me killer headaches.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #373
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

These Steam sales are getting dangerous, I have way too many options now... Recently picked up Ashes Cricket (still downloading, as of last night when I signed off should be good to go now), Rome: Total War (loving that) and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Almost went for FM 2010 but am getting enough from WWSM 2009 so I decided against that purchase. Is there enough difference between those two to justify a purchase for someone who is not worried about having the most up to date rosters?
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #374
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Today's deals on Steam:

The Orange Box - 14.99
Space Siege - 4.99
Prey - 2.25
Killing Floor - 4.99
Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box - 7.49

Orange Box would be the buy of the day, but I just can't get into Half-Life, the first one gave me killer headaches.

Just bought Killing Floor, needed a good cheap Zombie type FPS as a time waster when I travel.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #375
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
These Steam sales are getting dangerous, I have way too many options now... Recently picked up Ashes Cricket (still downloading, as of last night when I signed off should be good to go now), Rome: Total War (loving that) and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Almost went for FM 2010 but am getting enough from WWSM 2009 so I decided against that purchase. Is there enough difference between those two to justify a purchase for someone who is not worried about having the most up to date rosters?

i'd say yes, absolutely.

new tactical system makes the game amazingly easier to make tactical adjustments and get your side playing "right". assistant manager function greatly improved. match engine changes.

but i guess it depends on how much you tend to play the game - do you feel you get your money's worth out of it typcially?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:24 PM   #376
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:

Yes, a lot of changes to the UI and game play make 2010 worth it.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #377
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
i'd say yes, absolutely.

new tactical system makes the game amazingly easier to make tactical adjustments and get your side playing "right". assistant manager function greatly improved. match engine changes.

but i guess it depends on how much you tend to play the game - do you feel you get your money's worth out of it typcially?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

Maybe I'll look into getting it sometime after I finish my dynasty.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:16 PM   #378
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

I go in spurts with FM, playing compulsively for about a month, and then playing other things for a while, but I'd still say - yes, absolutely.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #379
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post

I'm thinking I will finally get into the game because of the UI change alone.

Wonder what ootp would look like under the new SI UI?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:08 PM   #380
PilotMan
Head Coach

Prey sold out if you can believe that, and Steam has substituted Bioshock for 4.99 in it's place. That's a pretty good trade-off.

Like Steam?

Old 12-28-2009, 09:53 PM   #381
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
How can I digital distribution system sell out?

They're only allowed to sell X number of copies at the discount price per the agreement with the publisher.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #382
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm a little late on this but here are today's games:

Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor - 7.49
Stormrise - 7.49
Jade Empire: Special Edition - 3.75
Mr. Robot - 1.99
Silent Hill Homecoming - 9.99
King Arthur - The Role-Playing Wargame - 19.99

I am going to pick up Jade Empire, because I didn't get it when it came out due to my computer sucking. Curious about King Arthur, anyone give it a whirl? Sale's good until noon tomorrow. Another thing, King Arthur just came out at Thanksgiving, so that a pretty new game there.

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:45 PM   #383
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

pilot - i heard one review on another messageboard saying that king arthur was good, but that's it so far. it looked intriguing though.

might have to pickup CoH:ToV though - I have all the others but not it yet
Old 12-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #384
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great trade-in deal over at Gamestop. You can trade in any games on the list for $20 credit towards anything in the store. Worth it to go back 2-3 times to get trade-in on multiple games.

http://www.gamestop.com/gs/specialty...LizXwycj1nYymQ
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #385
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Unless that is 20 dollars extra above trade in, it isn't that great.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 AM   #386
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

it is when a ton of those games could of been grabbed for free from best buy promos earlier this holiday season AND grabbed for free just a week or 2 ago when gamestop had buy 2 get 1 free. I got over 100 bucks in credit for free. thats awesome.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:19 AM   #387
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

It's not, I don't think. Folks at CAG seem to be indicating that it's just $20 unless the cashier does a manual override.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #388
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Well, you obviously have to pick and choose. For example, I have Uncharted and Assassin's Creed still in my library. Trading those two games in for $20 each is a pretty good deal. I'm not sure I'd get anymore than $4-5 otherwise.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #389
PilotMan
Head Coach

Here are today's Steam deals:

FIFA Manager 10 - 33.49
Civ IV - Beyond the Sword - 6.79
Civ IV - 6.79
Osmos - 1.99
Max Payne 2 - 2.49
Civ IV: Colonization - 10.19
Left 4 Dead: GOTY Edition - 7.49

FIFA Manager doesn't seem to be that great, and I have seen better deals on the CIV pack that includes Warlords too. Left 4 Dead looks like a good buy for game that got good reviews.

Like Steam?

Old 12-30-2009, 12:38 PM   #390
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I have seen better deals on the CIV pack that includes Warlords too.

Look in the top sellers list. The Complete Edition (which also includes Colonization) is $13.60.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #391
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Company of Heroes Gold is $14.99 on Steam.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:55 PM   #392
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Look in the top sellers list. The Complete Edition (which also includes Colonization) is $13.60.

Yeah, it should have been on there. I see it now.

Like Steam?

Old 12-30-2009, 02:20 PM   #393
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone have Civ 4 Colonization? I have all of the other Civs and was wondering if this one is worth picking up.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:27 PM   #394
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Does anyone have Civ 4 Colonization? I have all of the other Civs and was wondering if this one is worth picking up.

It's a very different game than any of the main Civ games. I enjoy it from time to time, but it is not nearly as good as the main Civ games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:39 PM   #395
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, between the 9.99 CoH (again) and Civ 4 Colonization (even if it's not as good I had it on my radar), I'm getting really tempted.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:30 PM   #396
SackAttack
Head Coach

I just snagged the complete set. I have Civ4 and the expansions already, but I'm bad about losing the discs, so why not?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #397
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I have seen better deals on the CIV pack that includes Warlords too.

Quote:

I bought it but dammit, that's it. That's the last game I'm buying 'til The Show comes out in the spring.

No, really I'm serious, that's it. Really. I'm not kidding. End of the line, tits gone dry, I've hit the wall.

Hell, right now I'm playing FM10 a lot, NBA 2k10, and OOTP X.
Just picked up Medieval TW-II on the Steam sale a few days ago and have started a game. Now Civ IV complete and of course Jim releases an upgrade to FOF that I hadn't played since getting my vista machine last spring. Where will I find the time?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:49 PM   #398
rjolley
College Starter

Has anyone tried Hinterland? I'm thinking about picking up the Tilted Mill collection since I like Children of the Nile and Hinterland sounds interesting.

Last edited by rjolley : 12-30-2009 at 10:49 PM.
rjolley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:50 PM   #399
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I bought it but dammit, that's it. That's the last game I'm buying 'til The Show comes out in the spring.

No, really I'm serious, that's it. Really. I'm not kidding. End of the line, tits gone dry, I've hit the wall.

Hell, right now I'm playing FM10 a lot, NBA 2k10, and OOTP X.
Just picked up Medieval TW-II on the Steam sale a few days ago and have started a game. Now Civ IV complete and of course Jim releases an upgrade to FOF that I hadn't played since getting my vista machine last spring. Where will I find the time?

nice mods for Medieval TW-II also that will extend your replayability...
Old 12-30-2009, 10:59 PM   #400
PilotMan
Head Coach

I have bought so many games in the last few days I have enough for a year or more.

Like Steam?