Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 PM   #101
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So what's the situation for qualification right now?

If US wins both remaining games they are through, if not things get complicated
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #102
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And thankfully T&T is easily the worst team in the Hex (1 win and 7 losses). So we get a good road game to close it out. And if we can't beat Panama, we also have a +8 Goal Differential vs. Honduras if we tie them on points.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 PM   #103
AlexB
Pro Starter

So looks like Leicester's major summer signing (Adrien Silva) won't go through as we missued the (extended) deadline by 14 seconds.

Part of me is '14 seconds? Seriously, you're gonna block it for that?'.

The other part of me is 'it's not like we didn't know deadline day was coming, we were granted two extra hours, we've only got ourselves to blame for cutting it so fine'

Strange situation, especially as Sporting are saying there is no get out clause if our appeal is turned down, stories are beginning to come out from Leicester with the reverse... both suggest a lack of confidence that the registration will be allowed.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #104
miami_fan
Coordinator

Premier League clubs vote to close transfer window before season starts | Football News | Sky Sports
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #105
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
FdB is not good

....and he's gone. That didnt last long.

Looks like Roy Hodgson is getting the job.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 10:39 AM   #106
bhlloy
Coordinator

Any time you can snap up a manager who has been out of club football since 2012 and whose last job ended in abject humiliation, you just have to jump on that chance

In all seriousness been texting with one of my mates from back home who is a huge Palace supporter, neither of us thinks Hodgson is the kind of manager you want in a relegation scrap but it's quite possible he has Palace playing attractive football and well out of danger by Christmas. Another high risk hire IMO
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:35 PM   #107
MrBug708
Head Coach

Parish is the definition of ultra conservative but its hard to argue with results that has kept Palace at the highest level. Last time we rushed ahead like this, we ended with Neil Warnock, and that was awful

Last edited by MrBug708 : 09-11-2017 at 01:36 PM.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #108
MIJB#19
Coordinator

So, the UEFA Champions League kicks off in a couple of minutes...

After mulling over it for a couple of days, I have sent a letter to UEFA that after 22 years I decided to stop watching UEFA Champions' League matches, explicitly calling the absurdity surrounding Paris SG and their transfers with FC Barcelona and AS Monaco as the final straw. I highly doubt one man can make a difference, but I figured if I'm going to take a decision to boycott, I'd at least take the courtesy to let UEFA know I wish them the best in restoring the credibility of the competition. But as it is now, they've lost 1 of their 100,000,000s of fans.

I wonder how long I will be able to hesitate and actually uphold my decision...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #109
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
After mulling over it for a couple of days, I have sent a letter to UEFA that after 22 years I decided to stop watching UEFA Champions' League matches, explicitly calling the absurdity surrounding Paris SG and their transfers with FC Barcelona and AS Monaco as the final straw.

While generally agreeing with your point, PSG are playing Celtic tonight. So good luck to Neymar, Mbappe and the boys, Allez le PSG!
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 PM   #110
whomario
Pro Starter

Messi is just amazing, no way around it.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #111
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
So, the UEFA Champions League kicks off in a couple of minutes...

After mulling over it for a couple of days, I have sent a letter to UEFA that after 22 years I decided to stop watching UEFA Champions' League matches, explicitly calling the absurdity surrounding Paris SG and their transfers with FC Barcelona and AS Monaco as the final straw. I highly doubt one man can make a difference, but I figured if I'm going to take a decision to boycott, I'd at least take the courtesy to let UEFA know I wish them the best in restoring the credibility of the competition. But as it is now, they've lost 1 of their 100,000,000s of fans.

I wonder how long I will be able to hesitate and actually uphold my decision...

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM   #112
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Wait, are you serious?
Old 09-13-2017, 01:50 AM   #113
AlexB
Pro Starter

I haven't watched the CL for years now: it never really over interested me, and once it went to a different subscription channel I didn't feel the need to follow.

Even when Leicester played in it last year I wasn't bothered at all - my brother and friends went to some of the games, but it meant nothing to me.

Make it straight knock out again I'd be interested: tbf when it gets to the last 16 I do show a bit more interest, and ideally make it just the Champions.

As for the Europa League, should be scrapped immediately - a tournament where most of the teams fight for eight places, and then eight teams who weren't good enough to succeed in another tournament are parachuted in is a farce
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:12 AM   #114
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That all makes sense to me, but UEFA and FIFA are all about the benjamins and have been for years. I just don't get the animosity against new money clubs. Do people like MIJB actually believe that Madrid, Barca, United, Bayern, Milan, etc are bastions of grassroots and ethical operations? Why is everyone throwing up such a fuss now and not 20-25 years ago? What has changed other than there are a couple more clubs at the big boys table and there is an extra zero or two at the end of transfer fees? It just reeks of racism to me. I have to say it.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:34 AM   #115
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Everything would be right in the world if Neymar had just stayed at Barca and Mbappe went to Madrid. Right? RIGHT?
Old 09-13-2017, 10:41 AM   #116
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post
That all makes sense to me, but UEFA and FIFA are all about the benjamins and have been for years. I just don't get the animosity against new money clubs. Do people like MIJB actually believe that Madrid, Barca, United, Bayern, Milan, etc are bastions of grassroots and ethical operations? Why is everyone throwing up such a fuss now and not 20-25 years ago? What has changed other than there are a couple more clubs at the big boys table and there is an extra zero or two at the end of transfer fees? It just reeks of racism to me. I have to say it.
There are no 'people like MIJB', there is only one MIJB.

My disenchantment isn't an animosity directed only at 'new money clubs'. The Gareth Bale transfer was silly when it happened, I've shook my head at Real Madrid more than once. The latest absurdity surrounding the Paris SG transfers have been the final straw to me.

I have no idea how long I will be able to not watch the CL or check scores. So far I have managed not to check scores of yesterday night's games, which is very unusual for my doing, for the past decades I've watched live tickers or at least checked scores at the end of the night or the next morning.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:45 AM   #117
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
The Gareth Bale transfer was silly when it happened, I've shook my head at Real Madrid more than once.
Yup, I was pretty specific then and called the Bale transfer the silliest transfer to date: Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - Soccer Thread 2013-14
Although I clearly forecasted horribly on how Bale would do in Madrid.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 09-13-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 PM   #118
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I haven't watched the CL for years now: it never really over interested me, and once it went to a different subscription channel I didn't feel the need to follow.

I barely watch European competitions, they're of limited interest to me despite my obvious soccer addiction and need to stay current because of my job.

The match ups are invariably poorly balanced in group stages and even when they're close they're often meaningless because even if the heavy weights in the groups do badly they're guaranteed qualifying for the next stage in many cases.

Heck back in the days it was a proper 'Champions' only competition with knockout I can't ever remember a team fielding a weakened side for it, but that seems to be increasingly the case these days as clubs themselves appear to be losing their interest in the group stages beyond milking it as a cash cow to stumble through ... and the EUFA Cup even more so ...

It Is Time to Admit the Champions League Has Become Boring and Predictable | Bleacher Report

Liverpool escape punishment from Uefa for fielding weakened team against Real Madrid - Telegraph

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-13-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #119
bhlloy
Coordinator

The old style European competitions were the shit. True meaning to winning the league or winning your domestic cup competition and its no coincidence that once the Cup Winners Cuo went away the cup competitions in most of the European leagues started to go downhill. Money ruins everything.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #120
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Heck back in the days it was a proper 'Champions' only competition with knockout I can't ever remember a team fielding a weakened side for it, but that seems to be increasingly the case these days as clubs themselves appear to be losing their interest in the group stages beyond milking it as a cash cow to stumble through ... and the EUFA Cup even more so ...
That made me look it up. The last champions only competition, although already with group stages, was in the 1996/1997 season. That's already over 20 years ago. Wow. I think teams then didn't consider fielding reserve players (heck, they didn't have the option anyway, with barely 20 players on their A squads). Personally, I can't even remember the time before the 4 groups of 4 teams format, I jumped in right after WC'94 got me interested, at the start of the 1994/1995 season.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #121
miked
College Starter

Just got back from my 1st Atlanta United game (and first game in the new dome). Was an amazing atmosphere, much better than the Braves and probably equal (or better) than the Falcons games I've been to. It helped that they won 4-0, but made me want to join the waitlist.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #122
MrBug708
Head Coach

Galaxy seem like a good opponent for most teams these days
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #123
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hoffenheim looking strong again to start the year. I haven't been paying as much attention to Swansea, though I will as the season heats up.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:33 AM   #124
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
That made me look it up. The last champions only competition, although already with group stages, was in the 1996/1997 season. That's already over 20 years ago. Wow. I think teams then didn't consider fielding reserve players (heck, they didn't have the option anyway, with barely 20 players on their A squads). Personally, I can't even remember the time before the 4 groups of 4 teams format, I jumped in right after WC'94 got me interested, at the start of the 1994/1995 season.

That's right mate make me feel old
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 10:37 AM   #125
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Sometimes I feel like a bad Atlanta United fan. They have gone on a tear since moving into Mercedes Benz Stadium, destroying teams in their expansion year. However, I far prefer the close nerve racking games to the 3-0, 4-0, etc. blowouts. My favorite game in MBS was 3-3 v Orlando.

I don't know, maybe that sounds strange. But I liked soccer before ATL UTD existed and want to see good soccer over (necessarily) seeing my team win - both at the same time would be the best.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:15 PM   #126
whomario
Pro Starter

Bayern fires Ancelotti, who basically mailed the PSG game in slash used it to make a power play by leaving Robben, Ribbery and also Hummels out of the lineup (and apparently only told them hours before the game).
Never felt like he was actually all that invested and seemed to pretty much go through the motions without actually doing much tactically. Allegedly very little involvement in day-to-day training as well and a reluctance to develop younger players (was not happy Bayern bought a couple of those rather than a big star over the last 2 offseasons). All in all one of those cases where a shock-firing actually wasn't all that shocking if you read between the lines before.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #127
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Apparently Alex Morgan can't hold her liquor.

Alex Morgan and Orlando City players removed from Epcot Center by police - ESPN FC
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #128
whomario
Pro Starter

Argentina about to miss out on the WC after a 0:0 at home against Peru, having to have other games go their way and win away at Ecuador (whome they lost their home game to).

Iceland (they of 330k Population) meanwhile on the verge of qualifying for the WC after making the Euros last year. Winning 3:0 in Turkey while Croatia only draws 1:1 at home to Finland. Now Iceland can secure the first spot by beating the Kosovo at home next week.
Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #129
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Pulisic! 1-0 8th min
Old 10-06-2017, 06:56 PM   #130
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Altidore!!! 2-0
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:58 PM   #131
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

That Pulisic - Altidore combo seems to be getting used to each other.

Oh, how did Woods not finish that one? Beautiful pass by Arriola.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:20 PM   #132
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Wood with a great move to draw a foul and a PK. Altidore with the slow chip down the middle on the PK to make it 3-0.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #133
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

3-0 right before halftime
Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 PM   #134
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
its fucking panama

ive seen high school programs with better defensive tech.

lets not start sucking each others dicks yet.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #135
cartman
Death Herald

Bobby Wood makes it 4-0
Old 10-06-2017, 07:57 PM   #136
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

we got wood! 4-0
Old 10-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #137
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Hooray for Bobby Wood!
Old 10-06-2017, 07:59 PM   #138
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wood can be better than Altidore.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:46 PM   #139
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B & B View Post
its fucking panama

As the announcers pointed out several times tonight, Panama only had 5other goals against in the Hex.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
its fucking panama

Not sure who in thread you're responding to. USA can only play the schedule in front of it and they needed the points here.

I don't see anyone here proclaiming they are the next great thing now.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #141
RainMaker
General Manager

Is Pulisic the best player the US has ever had even at this age?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #142
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Yes - easily the best.

Last edited by Bisbo : 10-07-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:54 PM   #143
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Argentina about to miss out on the WC after a 0:0 at home against Peru, having to have other games go their way and win away at Ecuador (whome they lost their home game to).
If Argentina wins, they will finish at least 5th, which means a playoff with New Zealand and 4th if either Chili doesn't win in Brazil (quite possible), or Uruguay loses to Bolivia (unlikely). But if they don't beat (already eliminated) Ecuador, they need Colombia to beat Peru (or vice versa) to move up to 5th place. A loss will definitely keep them away from Russia 2018.
Old 10-07-2017, 03:51 PM   #144
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Alright, all we need now is a 7-0 victory over Sweden. :sigh:

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 10-07-2017 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:48 AM   #145
Critch
lolzcat

Canal+ going for a "Catalans v Spanish Police" theme in their Barcelona v Real Madrid ads.

https://twitter.com/canalplus/status/916294999561478144
Old 10-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #146
whomario
Pro Starter

Iceland really has qualified by winning their group Smallest Country (by Population) to ever qualify at about 330k, previous record holder being Trinidad and Tobago (1.3 mio)
Old 10-09-2017, 04:11 PM   #147
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Iceland really has qualified by winning their group Smallest Country (by Population) to ever qualify at about 330k, previous record holder being Trinidad and Tobago (1.3 mio)

Is there a story somewhere on how they got so good at soccer? It's just amazing for a country that size that doesn't seem to produce that many global stars.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 04:31 PM   #148
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is there a story somewhere on how they got so good at soccer? It's just amazing for a country that size that doesn't seem to produce that many global stars.

On the pitch: "Golden Generation" (people overlook they also almost qualified in 2014, loosing out in the Playoffs to Croatia), lots of players making great career choices and not at all hesitant to move abroad, very few injuries it seems, unorthodox tactical style which a lot of teams and their players rarely if ever face at national or club level. (flat 442 with physical wingers and lots and lots of aerial balls)

Off the pitch: As a country/federation, starting about in 2000, they also started to a) install astroturf everywhere and b) build several full-size indoor fields across the country. You can't overstate the importance of this in a country that's basically "blessed" with a half year long winter.
So obviously the fact that Iceland is well off economically and that the technology became available helped alot. But there has been a concious decision to develop at the base and infrastructure rather than foolishly attempt to bolster the national league. They also by now have the highest concentration of UEFA-qualified coaches per capita (i think) and that also started to develop in the early 00s.

Be interesting what happens after the current crop ages, about half the current squad are near or above 30. But even if they go through a few struggles, they'll still be way, way ahead of the other small countries in Europe.

Decent article: Euro 2016: The story of Iceland's unlikely footballing revolutionÂ*

Nice little video : The Vikings’ Shocking Euro Run: The Unbelievable Rise of Icelandic Soccer - YouTube
Old 10-09-2017, 08:08 PM   #149
Butter
Coordinator

So the field for the US final game is a virtual lake.

Wonder how this game is going to shake out tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2017, 09:06 PM   #150
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
its fucking panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Not sure who in thread you're responding to. USA can only play the schedule in front of it and they needed the points here.

I don't see anyone here proclaiming they are the next great thing now.
+1 Chief. People freak out about the US possibly missing the World Cup, which would require finishing behind said Panama team in the hex, then we play electric offensive football in the first half of a must win game and look better than we have in months, and it's "why are you so excited about beating Panama?"

PS I'd take that Panama D over ours at this point. Villafana & Omar Gonzalez can not be starters at this level.
Quote:
It's pretty close with Landon Donovan (who was named Best Young Player at the World Cup and led the US to the semifinals when he was 20), but Pulisic is certainly much more accomplished at the club level, and playing the Champions League/Bundesliga vs coming home to MLS should continue helping his development as long as he stays healthy.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote