Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #401
kingfc22
Head Coach

Really hoping Senegal can score because Japan is just kicking the ball back and forth.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #402
Critch
lolzcat

Need somebody to score because my World Cup spreadsheet doesnt track Fair Play so it says Senegal are through. I need a goal for anybody to make my spreadsheet pretty.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #403
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
And just like that, yellow cards are crucial again.
Japan is playing game of chicken now.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-28-2018 at 10:49 AM.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #404
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Japan-Poland has become a stalemate game.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #405
tarcone
Coordinator

F Japan. I hope Senegal scores.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM   #406
kingfc22
Head Coach

I don’t understand why Poland isn’t putting in any effort here. I guess it makes sense seeing how they never showed up to play in the WC in the first place.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #407
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
I don’t understand why Poland isn’t putting in any effort here. I guess it makes sense seeing how they never showed up to play in the WC in the first place.
They got their victory, nothing else to play for.

All in all, I thought it was a good idea to encourage clean play by using 'fair play' as a tie-breaker, but Japan's last 10 minutes of lack of effort where much less 'fair play' than Senegal's effort was.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:13 AM   #408
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Need somebody to score because my World Cup spreadsheet doesnt track Fair Play so it says Senegal are through. I need a goal for anybody to make my spreadsheet pretty.
In my own WC spreadsheet I built in additional coin flip tie-breaker fields just in case something like this would happen. I'm abusing that to enter the order based on fair play.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
F Japan. I hope Senegal scores.

It's funny, as I'm watching the end of this and the crowd is ticked off and people on twitter and in general seem to be upset about how the game was ending, I realized what I watched in the last 10 minutes or so - a guy for Poland faked an injury to stop the game for a sub, and a team winning (at least in the overall sense) ran the clock out rather than running plays designed to move the ball and score.

Gee, looks like nearly every (American) football game we've ever watched! So, what's the issue?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-28-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM   #410
tarcone
Coordinator

That the seeding was not set in stone. So it wasnt like a ream leading and running out the clock.
Had Senegal scored, Japan shot themselves in the foot.

I guess my beef is they were not playing to secure a spot. They could have tied it and guaranteed a spot.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:19 PM   #411
Ksyrup

Yeah but it's soccer., They reasonably calculated that Senegal wasn't going to score as time ran out in a game that was 1-0 for the first 90 minutes. They could have lost out on an unlikely goal, but they knew the odds.

It's like an NFL team choosing to play for a tie when they could get knocked out of the playoffs by another team winning, except that other team is down by 18 points with 5 minutes left. Possible? Sure. Unlikely? Absolutely.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #412
Ksyrup

Also, Japan could have gone for it, made a terrible pass/turnover, and given up a goal that cost them a chance to move on while Senegal still lost. I'm not sure what's the worse way to go - not trying to score when you don't need to, or trying to score and letting another team through that didn't do anything to knock you out.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-28-2018 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #413
miami_fan
Coordinator

The segment with Martin O’Neil describing England’s “Tiki Taka” possession game brought a smile to my face.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 03:47 PM   #414
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I understand Japan's decision in the last 10 minutes of their game. I suspect 9 out of 10 soccer/sports teams would have done the same thing. I've seen a stalemate game before, between one team needing a draw to clinch league championship and the other needing a draw to avoid relegation. If I remember correctly, bookmakers even took the game off beforehand, because 0-0 was too obvious of a score.

What makes it awkward is that usually in soccer 'fair play' includes the team's willingness to try to score goals, making the way Japan played late in the game opposite of fair play, yet they advance based on 'fair play'. Overall, Japan does stand out to me as a team with high fair play standards.
Old 06-28-2018, 04:33 PM   #415
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't know what you can do about it though, other than make the teams play in stadiums that are communication dead zones for miles around.

Do hate the fair play being the tie breaker. At least when it was corners it was something that loosely rewarded attacking play. Shots or shots on target would be even better. You can easily get a more strict ref for one of your games and pick up 5-6 cards for fouls that might have only been 1 if you had got a different ref.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #416
bhlloy
Coordinator

DOLA - it's going to be a million times worse in 3 team groups in 2026 onwards. Chances of all 3 group games ending in ties is not that small.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #417
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
DOLA - it's going to be a million times worse in 3 team groups in 2026 onwards. Chances of all 3 group games ending in ties is not that small.
This. Three-team groups are a horrible idea and I wouldn't be surprised to see drastic changes after the 2026 World Cup. Should've just had 40 teams in eight 5-team groups.

Last edited by bbgunn : 06-28-2018 at 07:53 PM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:10 PM   #418
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post

Hard to fault them. They were winning the game at that point. You play to win the game, right?

Just the annoying side-effect of these situations. Like MIJB said, the situation was very un-Japan like. They probably don't feel great about it.

They'll also likely get rolled by Belgium. *shrug*
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:18 PM   #419
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
This. Three-team groups are a horrible idea and I wouldn't be surprised to see drastic changes after the 2026 World Cup. Should've just had 40 teams in eight 5-team groups.
5-team groups take a minimum of 13 days to finish, regardless of the number of groups, and have the same problem as 3-team groups: not all teams in the same group are active in in the same round of games, most importantly the last game day. 4 teams per group is logistically the only acceptable option, aside from a full on knockout tournament.

FIFA should consider double (triple?) elimination knockout as an alternative for the group stage. Might be doable with 48 teams.

Last edited by MIJB#19 : 06-29-2018 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Minor typo fixes
Old 06-29-2018, 02:21 PM   #420
Butter
Coordinator

I agree on 4 teams per group. If they are dead set on a Round of 32, it should be 12 groups of 4, top 2 advance from each group with the next best 8 also moving on to a round of 32.

That's what they were doing with the old 24 team setup anyway.

Last edited by Butter : 06-29-2018 at 02:22 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #421
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I agree on 4 teams per group. If they are dead set on a Round of 32, it should be 12 groups of 4, top 2 advance from each group with the next best 8 also moving on to a round of 32.

That's what they were doing with the old 24 team setup anyway.
Or even stay away from a 'round of 32' and only advance the 12 group winners and find a formula to reward 4 more teams to go through on slightly more than just points, to make it less prone to stalemate games.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:44 PM   #422
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Agreed. There are so many scenarios in the 3-team format that scream for unintentional fixed results in the last game (for readability I added three names rather than team A, team B and team C):

game 1 Aruba - Bonaire 0-0
game 2 Aruba - Curacao 0-0
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 1-1 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 1-1
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 2-2 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 0-1
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 0-0 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 0-1
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 1-0 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 1 Aruba - Bonaire 0-1
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 0-0 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 0-1 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 2-1 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 0-1 => Aruba eliminated
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao => both advance

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 1-0
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 1-2 => both advance, Aruba screwed
(basically the same as the A-B 0-0, A-C 0-0, B-C 1-1 scenario)

game 1 Aruba - Bonaire 0-2
game 2 Aruba - Curacao 1-0
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao 0-1 => both advance, Aruba screwed

game 2 Aruba - Curacao 2-0 => Aruba advances!
game 3 Bonaire - Curacao t.b.d. => wow, we'll actually have a game that matters

The only way 'Aruba' has their faith in their own hands is by winning one game and not losing the other by an equal or bigger score. And only a double win can guarantee the group victory. Both 'Bonaire' and 'Curacao' have a just-don't-lose incentive written all over.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #423
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, I'd prefer 8 groups of six.

1st Place in Group=Bye to Round of 16
2nd/3rd Place Advance to a knockout round for the other 8 spots in the round of 16

It'd probably be a nonstarter because the clubs complain about too many games, under my plan, a finalist would play 9 games, instead of the seven it now takes.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:56 AM   #424
miami_fan
Coordinator

Loser gets their manager fired match between Argentina and France.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 06-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #425
miami_fan
Coordinator

Man that was some pace! Damn!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #426
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Man that was some pace! Damn!

And he’s only 19!
Old 06-30-2018, 09:19 AM   #427
miami_fan
Coordinator

AGAIN!
Old 06-30-2018, 10:23 AM   #428
kingfc22
Head Coach

What a match so far.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:26 AM   #429
JPhillips
General Manager

That should do it.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #430
kingfc22
Head Coach

They have no answer for Mbappe. None at all.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #431
JPhillips
General Manager

Argentina just can't handle the speed from the entire front of France.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:35 AM   #432
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am happy FRA v ARG took up the mantle for the offensive game today. I fully expect and am secretly hoping for the URU v POR game from a defensive and pettiness point of view.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:46 AM   #433
AlexB
Pro Starter

France’s performance has been one of the best so far in the tournament, especially second half. But Argentina aren’t all that tbh.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:50 AM   #434
AlexB
Pro Starter

Big finish?
Old 06-30-2018, 01:01 PM   #435
AlexB
Pro Starter

We may see a rare double-dive this evening with Suarez and Pepe!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:21 PM   #436
JPhillips
General Manager

Can someone please bite Suarez?
Old 06-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #437
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the French victory, especially that 5-pass goal that was perfection.

I respect a great defensive team like Uruguay but still rooting against any South American teams.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #438
Warhammer
Pro Starter

That Cavani goal was beautiful no matter who you are rooting for.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:08 PM   #439
JPhillips
General Manager

How unlikely is it that Uruguay is so small and has the two least likable strikers in the world. They raise their hands or fall after every interaction.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #440
PilotMan
Head Coach

I fucking hate Cavani and Suarez, but I cannot deny the skill of these 2 goals. Just clinical, on point, first time, finishing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:56 PM   #441
PilotMan
Head Coach

That was a really good game. Aside from, you know, the insane diving all over, there was some good soccer in between.

Like Steam?

Old 06-30-2018, 04:11 PM   #442
BYU 14
Coordinator

A little off topic, but does anyone else think Kate Abdo is really cute?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:58 PM   #443
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Not cute. Fucking hot as hell.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:18 PM   #444
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Not cute. Fucking hot as hell.

I'll give you that
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #445
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Well, I was curious enough to Google.

That was a very quick no for me however.
Old 07-01-2018, 09:13 AM   #446
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fuck Russia

Like Steam?

Old 07-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #447
MrBug708
Head Coach

Why is Pique arguing that?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 09:45 AM   #448
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Why is Pique arguing that?
pretty impressive how he re-raised that arm mid-air.
And making it a clear cut hand ball at that.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:23 AM   #449
kingfc22
Head Coach

Pretty close to rooting for a Spanish loss in PK’s.

They deserve it at this point.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #450
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'll be shocked if Russia can handle the pressure of all 30 minutes of extra time without breaking somewhere.

Like Steam?