Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Pac-12 considering finding investors

Pac-12 has reportedly pitched schools on investors for conference

Quote:
Pac-12 Conference leadership pitched university presidents and chancellors a strategic plan aimed at bailing out the struggling conference and helping it keep pace with its Power Five Conference peers.

The “Pac-12 NewCo” plan was introduced to the conference presidents and chancellors at their mid-November meeting and was subsequently discussed in a conference call in December, per sources. Private investors would own 10 percent equity in the newly formed entity in exchange for a $500 million investment.

Probably better deal than an expansion team for pro sports, since the cost of labor is mostly nil, but...how long can this charade last or will it be like TV deals of old, where at first it was a scandal and then this becomes a model. Because if the Pac-12 can get $500m, what the hell is the SEC worth?

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
cuervo72
Head Coach

I can't decide whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that they would look to do this rather than use school endowments. I mean, probably a good thing, but at the same time I'm not sure what Stanford is doing with $25B just sitting around.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

Need an Angel investor to bail UCLA put of this whole Alford thing
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
bhlloy
Coordinator

Getting somebody to run the conference who isn't a complete and utter moron would be a good start.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:28 AM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

This article seems woefully short on meaningful details, such as what exactly is the entity that investors would be buying into. I have to assume it would be the media arm of the conference (which is mainly the Pac 12 Networks), but that would be critical information needed to judge the idea.

I’ll say this: any outside investment in the conference as an entity would likely put Larry Scott on a scaldingly hot seat, and that’s a good thing.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #6
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Getting somebody to run the conference who isn't a complete and utter moron would be a good start.

The fact they haven't worked out a deal with Direct TV is a travesty. 20 million subscribers.

What makes it worse is they are arrogant enough to think people will cancel their Direct TV and switch to comcast or something.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
bhlloy
Coordinator

The list just goes on and on to be honest. The PAC-12 network is a shambles you could talk about for days. Scheduling in both football and basketball that kills playoff chances for its marquee programs. Repeated blown opportunities to stand up for his programs in public. By far the least lucrative income opportunities across the board of any major conference.

It’s completely unbelievable that he still has a job, if this is finally the cry for help that gets him out I’m fully on board with it. Never thought I’d see the day when the PAC is by far the 5th out of 5 major conferences and even in the same conversation as the leading mid majors in many areas.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote