Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM   #7051
Groundhog
Coordinator

I Am Mother - 8/10

Pretty darn good, if a little bit familiar - I got real 'Moon' vibes from this one. I missed a subtle little bit at the end that a colleague mentioned today which made me give it an extra point in hindsight.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:06 AM   #7052
Atocep
Coordinator

Raiders!: The Story of the Greatest Fan Film Ever Made - 10/10

One of the most fascinating documentaries I've seen. The story of 10 year olds that decided to do a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Arc in 1982 and spent the next 7 years working on it. My wife kind of rolled her eyes when I threw this on as we were going to bed and we both stayed up after midnight to finish it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:18 AM   #7053
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

One of the most fascinating documentaries I've seen. The story of 10 year olds that decided to do a shot for shot remake of Raiders of the Lost Arc in 1982 and spent the next 7 years working on it. My wife kind of rolled her eyes when I threw this on as we were going to bed and we both stayed up after midnight to finish it.

is this on Netflix?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:20 AM   #7054
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
is this on Netflix?

Yes
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 11:59 AM   #7055
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I'll have to check it out, sounds promising!

(Has to be better than the Netflix Warfighter movie I saw last night)
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 AM   #7056
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Shazam - 5/10

It was an okay movie, had some laughs and nice special effects but story didn't really draw me in.

$4 Prime rental, not one for my BR collection.

Watched this with the family last night, and I laughed a lot. I really enjoyed it. I'm don't watch movies often, so all I ask is to be entertained, and this definitely accomplished that.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:40 PM   #7057
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

Saw this the other night. Entertaining but to think of their dedication ... craziness.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #7058
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:

It is fantastic.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 07:41 PM   #7059
Edward64
Head Coach

John Wick 3 - 7.5/10

Solid movie, good action, more story building to the Wick world.

But not as good as 1 or 2 IMO. The gun & fight scenes did not seem as "crisp" as the prior movies.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:10 PM   #7060
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Hustlers. 8/10
This was surprising. I wasn't expecting it to be quite as good. Jlo was great as Ramona.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:18 PM   #7061
RendeR
Coordinator

Mortal Engines. 4/10

There was very little city on city fighting, and the entire story was too, how to put it, just...bland.

Acting was fairly solid, just not enough of....anything to make this worthwhile.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #7062
JediKooter
Coordinator

Rambo: Last Blood - 6/10 (Adjusted for Rambo Scale)

As far as Rambo movies go, this one isn't too bad. First Blood will always be the standard by which all other Rambo movies will be judged by, so, if you are expecting First Blood level quality, Last Blood doesn't quite get there. However, it's an entertaining movie and for an aging Rambo, it's a fitting end to his story that takes a little bit to get going and saves most of the ridiculousness for the last 3rd of the movie.

If you go in expecting anything higher brow, you will be disappointed, but, if you go in knowing that it's a Rambo movie, then I think you will enjoy the ride.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #7063
Butter
Coordinator

So did people like It Chapter Two? I mostly didn't. Would probably give it a 4/10.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:19 PM   #7064
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
So did people like It Chapter Two? I mostly didn't. Would probably give it a 4/10.

My kid, who is a horror buff, said it was too long, and too overdone. He said it was good enough, but just too... everything, basically.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:27 PM   #7065
Edward64
Head Coach

Spiderman - Far from Home: 8.5/10

Really fun movie with fantastic special effects. I didn't like suspending disbelief on the fantastical deception but hey, its a Marvel movie. They are on their third reboot and think they have it right this time.
Old 10-03-2019, 03:31 PM   #7066
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Rambo: Last Blood - 6/10 (Adjusted for Rambo Scale)

As far as Rambo movies go, this one isn't too bad. First Blood will always be the standard by which all other Rambo movies will be judged by, so, if you are expecting First Blood level quality, Last Blood doesn't quite get there. However, it's an entertaining movie and for an aging Rambo, it's a fitting end to his story that takes a little bit to get going and saves most of the ridiculousness for the last 3rd of the movie.

If you go in expecting anything higher brow, you will be disappointed, but, if you go in knowing that it's a Rambo movie, then I think you will enjoy the ride.

How does it compare to the 4th movie?
Old 10-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #7067
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
How does it compare to the 4th movie?

I personally liked it better than Rambo 4. I liked that he 'brought the fight home', instead of being the outsider (though there was a bit of that in middle 3rd of the movie) and also to a degree, acknowledging his age. I also like how it showed that deep down, John Rambo just wants to do good and do the right thing, but, situations keep arising that don't fully allow him to do that and in this movie, one particular situation that is the catalyst for what he ends up doing. The actors that played the bad guys, were great. I hated their characters so they did their jobs, haha!

I will admit, it does start off a bit slow though, however by the end, I thought it was a good/decent bookend for the Rambo franchise.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 10-05-2019, 08:04 PM   #7068
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Abominable 9/10- Absolutely beautiful movie. The animation is incredible and the story is deep and moving. while pretty straightforward, the tale itself is just lovely. The pacing is a bit slow. We had 4 kids with us, two 9 and two 6 and I thought they may be bored, but they all loved it. Just a well done movie.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:16 AM   #7069
revrew
Team Chaplain

Joker - 8/10

First off, let me say, I'm no comic book fanboy. I don't give a crap whether this film is proper "canon" for a Joker origin story or not. I've never watched animated Jokers, never read the comic books, so I just don't care.

Secondly, let me say that I think the most important element of a superhero film is the quality of the villain, and thus, IMO, "The Dark Knight" is the best superhero movie yet made.

And for fans of Dark Knight and Heath Ledger's performance, this film absolutely did it justice. I can totally see "Joker" as the origin story of Heath Ledger's portrayal. And "Joker" is much more like a Christopher Nolan film - dark and passionate and cerebral - than any MCU comic book movie. [Plus, Phoenix threw in a couple of homages to Ledger, including his stilted walk and a key line delivered in Ledger style].

The story itself and the directing of this film is what really shot it up the chart for me. Many people will ooh and ahh over Joaquin Phoenix's performance, which was very good and up to the difficult task before him (and that's a big compliment), but I was mesmerized by the music, the descent into madness, the completely believable formation of his twisted ethics that would make him into the iconic villain.

Loved this movie. When I give a film a 9 or a 10, it means I think it's "Best Picture" contender, so I have it an 8, the highest score I could that falls just short of that level. While I wouldn't be surprised to see it remembered come awards time, I do recognize a few flaws (mostly, a few places where the movie and/or Phoenix were trying a little TOO hard).
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:13 AM   #7070
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Joker - 5/10

I get why people really like this movie as it hits a lot of the film-critic notes, but it was more of a "meh" from me. Maybe this was part of the charm for some people, but everything that happened in the last 30-40 minutes was completely telegraphed early. Honestly, it came off to me as a less interesting knockoff of "The Machinist" (a movie I did really enjoy).

The only positive is that they kept the movie to just 2 hours. I could have seen them string this out to 2.5-3 hours - and then it would have been unbearable. Again, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but this just wasn't my cup of tea.

Last edited by Arles : 10-07-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:32 PM   #7071
Edward64
Head Coach

Yesterday - 7/10

Fun movie about a struggling musician being the only person that remembers The Beatles and their songs (well, not the only only person) after some sort of "event". I wish they played more of the songs and the Lennon cameo was cool.

I'll have to get it on sale during BF and see some of the specials.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #7072
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Judy 7.5/10

The setup was a little slow, it got better as the movie progressed. But Zellwegger was fantastic as Judy Garland. The buzz about her being a real Oscar contender is warranted.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #7073
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Joker - 5/10
Maybe this was part of the charm for some people, but everything that happened in the last 30-40 minutes was completely telegraphed early.

“Once upon a time there lived in Berlin, Germany, a man called Albinus. He was rich, respectable, happy; one day he abandoned his wife for the sake of a youthful mistress; he loved; was not loved; and his life ended in disaster.

This is the whole of the story and we might have left it at that had there not been profit and pleasure in the telling" - Laughter in the Dark

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM   #7074
JediKooter
Coordinator

Zombieland 2: Double Tap - 6/10

First and foremost, I didn't feel it was as good as the first one. However, the more I thought about that, I don't think any sequel for Zombieland would be able to capture the uniqueness that was Zombieland.

The movie had the humor of the first one and I like how they explained the changing world of Zombieland so the viewers were up to date on what's been going on. Of the new characters introduced, I really only liked 2 of them and the others that I didn't really like, was due more to casting choices than the characters themselves.

Overall, not a bad movie at all, but, it does suffer from the same thing Terminator Salvation suffered from, where's the Terminators (where's the zombies)? Yes, there were zombies, but, they were more of a background character than anything. Even with that, I laughed plenty of times and enjoyed the movie.

Old 11-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #7075
Kodos
Resident Alien

Terminator: Dark Fate

I'd give this one a 7, maybe 7.5. Easily the best Terminator since T2. It isn't as good as T1 and T2, but having Sarah Connor did add a lot to the movie. It's a very solid action movie, and a universe that was fun to visit once more. I hope they move ahead with the next two films in the planned trilogy.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #7076
JediKooter
Coordinator

Terminator: Dark Fate - 7/10

3rd best movie in the franchise in my opinion. As Kodos said, not as good as T1 or T2, but, it fits and the new bad terminator was great. Though I did have a couple of issues with the movie, but, those don't ruin the movie.

I think the weakest part of the cast was the actress that played Dani. She seemed more like a Disney alum and couldn't quite hold up the acting chops. Grabiel Luna knocked it out as the bad terminator and Arnold and Linda Hamilton we great as well. All in all, I'd see it again.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #7077
PilotMan
Head Coach

Dolemite Is My Name - 9/10

Dang! This movie is getting no bump at all (except for tarcone last month), but it is one of the very best movies of the year! It is fun! The cast is fantastic and the familiar faces never end. There is so much talent. The writing is on point, and Eddie Murphy straight out delivers one of the best performances this year. I really can't say enough good things about it, I was totally blown away. A fantastic, entertaining from start to finish, funny masterpiece. I had no idea it was based on real life. That was just the icing on the cake. You simply cannot go wrong with this flick.

FYI: This movie is 97% on RT and has a 7.4 on IMDB. It's legit.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-15-2019 at 08:53 AM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:43 PM   #7078
molson
General Manager

JoJo Rabbit: 10/10

With the amount of movies I go to and trailers I see, it's not often that I get to see something completely blind of expectations. But it can be really fun when I do. I didn't know really anything about this one going in, I hadn't seen a trailer. But the movie's insanity grabbed me in the first minutes and I was hooked from then on. It's just a hilarious, dark, weird, adorable, and then eventually, moving and thoughtful movie about Nazis. My favorite of the year.

It looks like the cumulative critic ratings are impacted by a lot of 0-star type reviews based on the portrayal as Nazis as either cartoonish and hilarious caricatures, or as human beings. I did get the feeling watching that it that it was a little surprising to be seeing this movie in 2019, which made it all the more fun to watch. I'm glad it got in under the wire.

Last edited by molson : 11-19-2019 at 11:44 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:26 AM   #7079
revrew
Team Chaplain

Ford vs. Ferrari - 8/10

While I can't call this a cinematic masterpiece or even one of the "best of the year," it was, simply, a well-made, engaging, enjoyable movie.

The characters were likeable, the cars (oh, the cars!) were gorgeous, the story was compelling, and there was just enough humor in it to break up its somewhat slower pace.

I also noticed, afterward upon further research, that the movie's final, climactic scenes were remarkable true to the real-life story, so bonus points for that.

My wife, who is by no means a car buff, nor does she swoon over Matt Damon or Christian Bale, nonetheless, really enjoyed this movie, probably more than I did. Surprisingly good date flick.

If you like going to the movies for the experience, for the entertainment, for the wonder of being caught up in stories and characters, then Ford v. Ferrari is your kind of movie. If you want something new, edgy, if you roll your eyes in cinematic snobbery if you can predict the ending, if it doesn't make you happy unless it somehow breaks new ground or makes some social statement ... then no, this isn't your movie. And also, I don't really care what you think
I came to the Crossroad. I took it. And that has made all the difference.
revrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:17 AM   #7080
korme
Go Reds

Finally able to see PARASITE in Cincinnati. Firstly, the cinematography is perfect. It's a beautifully done movie. The twists come and they are largely unexpected. I had a great time at the theater yesterday. This year is shaping up to be a pretty solid one as far as movies go, and I expect to see this get a Best Picture nom. 8.5/10
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:23 AM   #7081
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
JoJo Rabbit: 10/10

With the amount of movies I go to and trailers I see, it's not often that I get to see something completely blind of expectations. But it can be really fun when I do. I didn't know really anything about this one going in, I hadn't seen a trailer. But the movie's insanity grabbed me in the first minutes and I was hooked from then on. It's just a hilarious, dark, weird, adorable, and then eventually, moving and thoughtful movie about Nazis. My favorite of the year.

It looks like the cumulative critic ratings are impacted by a lot of 0-star type reviews based on the portrayal as Nazis as either cartoonish and hilarious caricatures, or as human beings. I did get the feeling watching that it that it was a little surprising to be seeing this movie in 2019, which made it all the more fun to watch. I'm glad it got in under the wire.

It has been a good year for movies, IMO. A lot of ones I have really enjoyed.

Perhaps it is just recency bias, but I feel like this movie stayed on my mind for a long time after. I still see the trailer pop up in my Facebook feed and I'll watch the trailer again, just to be back in experiencing the movie and the story.

It's just a very well done story. Funny and touching and, for all its Nazi-humanizing as you suggest, molson, just a banner film for the power of love over hate.

The movie mocks Naziism and Waititi playing an effeminate jokester of an imaginary Hitler is intended to remove the power of hate. Nonetheless, the internal conflict for JoJo involves him battling his imaginary Hitler for supremacy of his own mind. It's a layered message that is actually pretty powerful.

IMO, you can't walk out of the theater after this one and not be smiling.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #7082
Edward64
Head Coach

Terminator Dark Fate - 7.5/10

I thought a solid move with decent story line. They are rewriting "history" with the time paradox (but not as confusing as X-Men) but okay with that, I can see myself enjoying a couple more movies with the next generation.

It was great to see Linda and Arnold again. I really did not like how they portrayed Linda as a grumpy old grandmother-like. I wish they just kept her as a bad ass and left it at that. Arnold is as one-dimensional as ever but appreciated the "this is Texas" and family man effort.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #7083
Edward64
Head Coach

The Dead Don't Die - 3/10

Saw this on the plane and was greatly disappointed. I didn't expect great things from the movie but it did have Murray, Driver and a nice cast so expected more.

Big zombie genre fan but this one I'll skip and not add to my B-movie collection.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #7084
Edward64
Head Coach

Aquaman - 5/10

Starting to get my BF 4k movies (before you ask ... yes discs, because of the specials and bandwidth constraints) and saw Aquaman for the second time.

It was pretty and entertaining but the story line was really horrible. I think the worst of the DC recent franchise.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-07-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #7085
JediKooter
Coordinator

Knives Out - 7.5/10

I'm not a huge fan of murder mysteries, but, this one wasn't too shabby at all. Pretty good cast and though the story was nothing new, I did like how they went about telling it. It has a bit of Clue feeling to it in my opinion but that isn't a bad thing.

Loved the cinematography, the locations (mostly the house) and just the overall look of the movie. If you love murder mysteries, I could see this being a 9/10 or even a 10/10 movie to you.

Old 12-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #7086
Butter
Coordinator

If anybody goes to see CATS, please post here.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #7087
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
If anybody goes to see CATS, please post here.

I'm trying to get some friends to go watch it under the influence with me.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:48 PM   #7088
molson
General Manager

I kind of want to see Cats but that's the rare movie I weird feel weird going to alone, and my girlfriend ain't going anywhere near it.

I'm not sure if the backlash is about the premise or about how it's been carried out. It looks like what I'd expect a Cats movie in 2019 to look.

But then I was thinking about how probably my earliest pop culture memory, earliest memory of a "phenomenon" kind of event was Cats. Looking back, I think this was the start of the national tour in Boston in December 1983. So, maybe I'm just not freaked out by weird singing and dancing cat people because when my brain was developing and starting to process such things - that was just part of the world as I was learning about it.

Last edited by molson : 12-19-2019 at 04:49 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #7089
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I kind of want to see Cats but that's the rare movie I weird feel weird going to alone, and my girlfriend ain't going anywhere near it.

I'm not sure if the backlash is about the premise or about how it's been carried out. It looks like what I'd expect a Cats movie in 2019 to look.

But then I was thinking about how probably my earliest pop culture memory, earliest memory of a "phenomenon" kind of event was Cats. Looking back, I think this was the start of the national tour in Boston in December 1983. So, maybe I'm just not freaked out by weird singing and dancing cat people because when my brain was developing and starting to process such things - that was just part of the world as I was learning about it.

It's the execution that's drawing so much hate from reviewers (some deliciously snarky). Basically botched editing, directing, and CG (including ruining the work of a highly esteemed and respected choreographer with bizarre film editing moves).

Old 12-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #7090
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

A Simple Favor - 8/10

It was much more of a fun romp than expected.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 12-21-2019 at 08:19 AM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 04:48 PM   #7091
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Knives Out - 7.5/10

I'm not a huge fan of murder mysteries, but, this one wasn't too shabby at all. Pretty good cast and though the story was nothing new, I did like how they went about telling it. It has a bit of Clue feeling to it in my opinion but that isn't a bad thing.

Loved the cinematography, the locations (mostly the house) and just the overall look of the movie. If you love murder mysteries, I could see this being a 9/10 or even a 10/10 movie to you.
Saw it in theatre today, was surprised going in finding out it's in the IMDB top 250.
It started more humorous than a random whodunit, but not with the Clue silliness, although it probably is what they were aiming for. The house was indeed very typical. The plot twists were ok, not earth shaking and I admittedly felt I saw most of them coming as some were kind of hinted at early on. But really, I had a good time, left with a big smile on my face, it was worth seeing.

Knives Out - 8/10
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 08:33 PM   #7092
tarcone
Coordinator

How did Knives Out compare to Murder by Death?

If you havent seen Murder by Death, you should

Old 12-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #7093
tarcone
Coordinator

Didnt see the movie Cats. But go to twitter and search Ctas movie. Holy crap, there is some seriously funny stuff going on.

Old 12-26-2019, 08:59 PM   #7094
Groundhog
Coordinator

Joker - 7/10

As far as acting goes, it's a 10/10 for ‎Joaquin Phoenix, he was sensational. I didn't really like was the whole tone of the film - really seemed to glorify the "downtrodden loner goes postal" character. I think they went out of the way to make him sympathetic, including the use of the Hollywood trope of making all the characters who are about to have something bad happen to them be shown in an unsympathetic light.
Old 12-27-2019, 04:20 AM   #7095
RendeR
Coordinator

Alita:BAttle Angel 7/10

For movie based on anime with the main character entirely cgi, this was entertaining. Nothing fantastic, but I enjoyed it and got some laughs now and again.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 09:30 AM   #7096
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Uncut Gems - 2/10

What in hell did I just see, and how do I unsee it? This movie was nonstop nonsense from beginning to end. How it's currently getting a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes truly baffles me. I haven't been a fan of Adam Sandler for many years, so I suppose saying this was his best work may not be that big a compliment with the bar set so low. At the end of the movie, Mrs Tyke & I looked at each other and asked what just happened and what was the point of the movie. I'd love to get a more positive take on it if someone else watches it and likes it.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:23 PM   #7097
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
Uncut Gems - 2/10

What in hell did I just see, and how do I unsee it? This movie was nonstop nonsense from beginning to end. How it's currently getting a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes truly baffles me. I haven't been a fan of Adam Sandler for many years, so I suppose saying this was his best work may not be that big a compliment with the bar set so low. At the end of the movie, Mrs Tyke & I looked at each other and asked what just happened and what was the point of the movie. I'd love to get a more positive take on it if someone else watches it and likes it.

I saw it last night, too. It's definitely a movie you'll either love it for its energy, tolerate the idiosyncrasies (the weird at times blasting music, a not admirable lead) for the good (terrific acting, intriguing story), or you'll absolutely hate it (completely defensible; it's hateable).

I am somewhere between tolerate and love, leaning toward the tolerate side. Again, the weird music (and volume issues) was distracting, especially at the start of the movie. And Sandler's character I can't stand. A two-faced, smarmy philanderist with anger and gambling issues? Yea he sucks. But Sandler plays him perfectly. It really was a very strong performance by him.

The third act was intense. I was totally along for the ride as things built up. And the end (no spoiler) is perfect, IMO. That's exactly how it should end, given what we know about Sandler's character. I thought both the mob guy (Bogosian) and his main thug were terrific.

What surprised me was fairly decent to strong acting performances from KG, the two thugs and Sandler's sidepiece. All four are either completely new actors or had very limited IMDB entries.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 12-27-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #7098
tarcone
Coordinator

Winters Bone 9/10

Filmed in SW Missouri about life in Missouri. This one is pretty accurate about the life people live these days.
Great acting, great script. Great movie.
If you havent seen this one, get ready for a depressing view of life in the Ozarks.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:44 AM   #7099
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Saw it in theatre today, was surprised going in finding out it's in the IMDB top 250.
It started more humorous than a random whodunit, but not with the Clue silliness, although it probably is what they were aiming for. The house was indeed very typical. The plot twists were ok, not earth shaking and I admittedly felt I saw most of them coming as some were kind of hinted at early on. But really, I had a good time, left with a big smile on my face, it was worth seeing.

Knives Out - 8/10

Oh wow! That's a quick rise into the top 250. It was nothing crazy or earth shaking like you mentioned and I think you nailed it with it being a good time. I left the theater not feeling cheated out of my money.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:53 AM   #7100
JediKooter
Coordinator

Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker - 8.5/10

The Skywalker family saga has come to an end and this was a worthy bookend for these 9 movies. Other than some technical (post production) issues, there's really not a whole lot I didn't like about the movie. I left the theater wanting to see more Rey, Finn & Poe adventures and hope maybe one day we will get to see some of those stories.

The original trilogy will always hold a special place in my mind and heart, but, the sequel trilogy produced 2 of my top favorite entries in the 9 movie series. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.