Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-23-2005, 05:01 PM   #51
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
He always just strikes me as a.. how shall I say.. asshole. Kinda like Tom Clancy...

Really? A good friend of mine has had multiple communications with the guy and he's been solid throughout. Mainly through e-bay purchases. But George RR has always been willing to sign the books or do whatever's been asked of him. Also pretty responsive for e-mails.

The guy writes amazing books. He loves the NFL draft. He was deeply depressed following the 2004 presidential election. Guy sounds about as solid as they come.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:04 PM   #52
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
No Jon, no Dany, no Bran.

Yeesh.

That was my initial reaction. But George RR deserves the benefit of the doubt here. He's published three of the best fantasy novels ever. I am willing to think he can pull this off. Besides, I am more concerned about no Arya or perhaps even no Tyrion.

This is going to be a very important book for the series. It's the first real big shift. The prior three were pretty much all about Dany's raise to power in the east and the war of the Seven Kingdoms in the West. Dany is staying put for the moment and the war is pretty much done.

I can't wait.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-23-2005, 05:05 PM   #53
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Thank you Mr. Martin.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:42 PM   #54
Blade
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Really? A good friend of mine has had multiple communications with the guy and he's been solid throughout. Mainly through e-bay purchases. But George RR has always been willing to sign the books or do whatever's been asked of him. Also pretty responsive for e-mails.

The guy writes amazing books. He loves the NFL draft. He was deeply depressed following the 2004 presidential election. Guy sounds about as solid as they come.

I have to agree...I purchased a book off his site and he signed it for me. We exchanged about six or so emails and he was very responsive and very friendly with them...and this was during the time he was writing A Feast for Crows when he was getting bombarded with messages asking him when it would be done.

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:25 PM   #55
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

This is a great series, and I can't wait to read the next offering.

I was a huge Jordan fan as well. I've favorably compared the first six books of the Wheel of Time to Tolkein's work. The problem is that since then Tolkein's work has far surpassed the overall quality of Jordan's series. The last book, I think the 10th has so far managed to quash every attempt I've made to read it.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #56
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

This is the only non fiction stuff I have read in years. I have just finished the first book, and have the other two waiting before me (never read them). I think I can time it where I finish the third as the new one comes out.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 07:31 PM   #57
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
This is the only non fiction stuff I have read in years. I have just finished the first book, and have the other two waiting before me (never read them). I think I can time it where I finish the third as the new one comes out.

Time it well, Sen. The third book leaves you haning something fierce. By the time Book IV comes, I will have been waiting just under 5 years for a resolution...

It's been killing me a little bit every day. It's only thanks to my amazing constitution (18 baby!) that I still live.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:25 PM   #58
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
He always just strikes me as a.. how shall I say.. asshole. Kinda like Tom Clancy...

I'm curious as to why he strikes you this way. Out of all the people I have ever met, Mr. Martin is by far one of the friendliest. He loves meeting his fans, and he loves talking about writing. He's really just a huge SF/Fantasy fan that writes great books.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:56 PM   #59
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik
I'm curious as to why he strikes you this way. Out of all the people I have ever met, Mr. Martin is by far one of the friendliest. He loves meeting his fans, and he loves talking about writing. He's really just a huge SF/Fantasy fan that writes great books.

Let me preface this by saying I've never met the man.. Just that in reading his updates & comments on his website from time to time I always got a weird assholish vibe.. Then again, most of his comments were notes pretty much telling people he will be done when he is done so.... maybe he was just having a bad week. I could see how someone could get impatient with constant comment but, as a casual fan of his books, I didn't read his website all that often...

Guess I'll just have to fine tune my asshole meter then..
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:32 AM   #60
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I can kind of see how you would get that impression from some of his updates. I think he was getting tired of hearing from irate "fans" that were getting on his case about the book taking so long to come out. I guess after years of hearing it from people, I would be a bit testy as well.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:26 AM   #61
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Looking for an a-hole author? Check out the author of Order of the Stick.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 AM   #62
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Looking for an a-hole author? Check out the author of Order of the Stick.

Really? What's up with the guy? So to here, because that is some funny stuff.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:51 AM   #63
Bee
Pro Starter

I'm sorry, but drawing stick figures as cartoons doesn't make the guy an author in my book.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 08:58 AM   #64
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
I'm sorry, but drawing stick figures as cartoons doesn't make the guy an author in my book.

Even if the stick figures talk? Does he qualify as a "catoonist" at least?
Old 06-24-2005, 09:28 AM   #65
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee

He published a book. Does that qualify him?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:28 AM   #66
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
He published a book. Does that qualify him?

No, publishing a stick figure book doesn't count when you were talking about it in relationship to George RR Martin.

I do enjoy his comics though.

Last edited by Bee : 06-24-2005 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM   #67
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Well, he's a tool, author or no. Funny, but a tool.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:48 AM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Well, he's a tool, author or no. Funny, but a tool.

Why is he a tool? We want the 411 on this, Sachs.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:36 PM   #69
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
Why is he a tool? We want the 411 on this, Sachs.

Well, that may not be fair of me to say, either.

Before he published his Order of the Stick collection, he let everyone know that he would need to ensure the publisher that a certain number of books would be sold...I believe around 1500.
To be able to pay for the publishing, he also needed to set up a pre-order system. So everyone who wanted to ensure the book was published paid in advance for the book.

Well, lots and lots of things went wrong. He was screwed by his publisher, and someone who was supposed to help him ship. The book delivery slipped by months. People started to get nervous. People started emailing him, asking him where there books were.

In my mind, this is where things went bad. I think he treated his customers very poorly when asked about what was going on with the orders. I really can't give specific examples, but you are welcome to read his homepage and messageboard and judge for yourself.

www.giantitp.com

Most of the info can be found in the Home and Post links, specifically the Book Ordering Problems thread in the Comics section of his message board.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:37 PM   #70
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator
This is the only non fiction stuff I have read in years.

I have bad news for you senator - the stuff in these books didn't really happen, Martin made them up.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:09 PM   #71
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Nice catch..........
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:26 PM   #72
Calis
College Starter

Well this doesn't have to do with Martin, but might as well post it here.

Martin was really the last fantasy I've read. I've grown pretty tired of it, and just think it's stale. I also think about 99% of the writers are god awful bad, so that doesn't help matters.

I did the other day stop by the library and pick up Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, the first book in his Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Anyone read this? I'm loving it so far, it reminds me a bit of Martin in its' scope but it focuses more on events than characters imo. It reminds me a lot of The Black Company series by Glenn Cook but written a helluva lot more coherently.
I'm curious if the quality keeps up through the series but so far I'm really loving it.

It's a bit different though because he doesn't ease you into his world at all, he throws you right into the middle of it and doesn't dumb it down for you. So you're lost for a good portion of the reading, but slowly pieces keep coming together and you gain a comprehension. It works out really well, comes across a lot more believable than a character going into several pages of monologue about his whole life story and family history.

Anyway, just a heads up..I think people who like Martin would enjoy this(assuming the quality keeps up, and it sounds as if it does). It's a little more fantasy than Martin, there's a heavy dose of magic, but it's a unique and pretty interesting magic system he uses. No Elves or Dwarves as of yet either.

Something to tide you over, and it's got me reading Fantasy again.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM   #73
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis
Well this doesn't have to do with Martin, but might as well post it here.

Martin was really the last fantasy I've read. I've grown pretty tired of it, and just think it's stale. I also think about 99% of the writers are god awful bad, so that doesn't help matters.

I did the other day stop by the library and pick up Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson, the first book in his Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

Anyone read this? I'm loving it so far, it reminds me a bit of Martin in its' scope but it focuses more on events than characters imo. It reminds me a lot of The Black Company series by Glenn Cook but written a helluva lot more coherently.
I'm curious if the quality keeps up through the series but so far I'm really loving it.

It's a bit different though because he doesn't ease you into his world at all, he throws you right into the middle of it and doesn't dumb it down for you. So you're lost for a good portion of the reading, but slowly pieces keep coming together and you gain a comprehension. It works out really well, comes across a lot more believable than a character going into several pages of monologue about his whole life story and family history.

Anyway, just a heads up..I think people who like Martin would enjoy this(assuming the quality keeps up, and it sounds as if it does). It's a little more fantasy than Martin, there's a heavy dose of magic, but it's a unique and pretty interesting magic system he uses. No Elves or Dwarves as of yet either.

Something to tide you over, and it's got me reading Fantasy again.

Thanks for the head's up. Sounds promising.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:49 PM   #74
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I plan on reading his stuff...thanks for the recommendation!
Old 07-28-2005, 05:50 PM   #75
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I tried to read this several months ago, but I just couldn't get into it. Perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind. I really should give it another go because of all the good things I have heard about it.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:00 PM   #76
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks for the recommendation, Calis!
I've added it to my amazon wish list, so some time after I've finished re-reading GRRM, I'll probably pick it up

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:35 AM   #77
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Is anyone else playing The Quest of Thrones?

Last edited by sachmo71 : 09-21-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2005, 08:38 AM   #78
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Is anyone else playing The Quest of Thrones?

No, but I did finally get to play the board game two weeks ago. I liked it.

Homer: Who-hoo! Four day weekend!!
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #79
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
No, but I did finally get to play the board game two weeks ago. I liked it.

b-b-b...boardgame?
there exists such a creature? have you a link?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:44 AM   #80
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
b-b-b...boardgame?
there exists such a creature? have you a link?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/agotbg.html

There is a game and expansion. I only played the original game, but my friend says that the expansion is a must.

Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #81
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/agotbg.html

There is a game and expansion. I only played the original game, but my friend says that the expansion is a must.

Didn't know about the expansion. I will have to look it up. I did order the role playing game on-line. In fact, I downloaded a PDF version of it a few weeks ago. I sorta forgot about that.

Martin is going to be in DC on Saturday as part of the "National Book Festival." He's going to be speaking from 2:30 - 3:00 and signing from 3:00 - 5:00. I plan to bring my first editions of all three down to the mall for some George R.R. signage.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:20 AM   #82
Coder
College Prospect

I'm about half-way through the third book now and it's simply _the_ best fantasy I've ever read.. not that it's a huge accomplishment (I'm not really a fantasy buff). But not only is it excellent fantasy, it's awesomely written as a whole. He's simply a brilliant author. He's got that extra touch that so many "popular" authors lack.. his books are exciting while reading, and they're not just 500 pages of transport until they finally "break out".

His foreshadowing, his attention to detail, the way he drops little hints but doesn't really open those issues up just yet is fantastic.. some authors who have great ideas sort of hint a little but then don't have the patience to wait and stretch the reader's imagination, and instead tosses out what could have been an awesome surprise a little later.. take Jon for example.. we've known that there's a mystery with his ancestry since the first chapter of the first book.. we get a little hint here and a little hint there, but Martin isn't giving us the whole cake just yet.

From the beginning I was considering waiting for the paperback of A Feast for Crows, but now I simply can't wait. October 17th is the European release date for the hardback and I'm buying... can't wait until next spring for the paperback.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:59 PM   #83
Sadalia
n00b

I have to go against the prevailing wind here and say that A Song of Ice and Fire didn't really do anything for me. Too many tangents that feel like filler, with no real meat of a story in there; I found myself thinking 'get to the point' too often for my liking. There's also the problem of series fatigue that I also had with Jordan; I just lost interest after a while.

Martin certainly has a lot of skill with prose, and you have to respect the depth of the world he's created, but I guess everyone has individual tastes, and he just doesn't float my boat.
Sadalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #84
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadalia
I have to go against the prevailing wind here and say that A Song of Ice and Fire didn't really do anything for me. Too many tangents that feel like filler, with no real meat of a story in there; I found myself thinking 'get to the point' too often for my liking. There's also the problem of series fatigue that I also had with Jordan; I just lost interest after a while.

Martin certainly has a lot of skill with prose, and you have to respect the depth of the world he's created, but I guess everyone has individual tastes, and he just doesn't float my boat.

Blasphemer!
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 03:40 PM   #85
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

:respect:
Old 09-21-2005, 04:40 PM   #86
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

No real meat? Filler? Series fatigue? Madness. That's pure madness. If anything, all of the tangents have a ton of meat (even minor characters are fascinating). Series fatigue? I've been suffering series starvation for the last five years.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:29 PM   #87
Coder
College Prospect

Quote:

While I see your point about the story dragging out and you waiting for him to "reveal" what's next, that is - as I mentioned above - what I admire about him. He dares to hold on to his secrets and not spill the beans just to get a quick reaction from the reader.. instead he lets you wait and speculate, giving you a sense that the story isn't over just because the battle is won in chapter so and so, there's always more to come.

I also love his foreshadowing.. the dead direwolf in the beginning with the antler in his neck is just awesome.. I didn't fully grasp it until he went on to explain about the heraldry a few chapters later.. those little things just take the stories to a different level.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 07:31 AM   #88
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That's too bad, but not everybody likes the same thing. I don't get the "filler" or "lack of meat" at all. Discribes Jordan perfectly, but I find Martin always advancing the story in every chapter. Maybe not in huge leaps, but never standing still. Plus, the grittyness of the world feels more "real" than any fantasy series I've ever read.

Old 09-22-2005, 07:48 AM   #89
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's too bad, but not everybody likes the same thing. I don't get the "filler" or "lack of meat" at all. Discribes Jordan perfectly, but I find Martin always advancing the story in every chapter. Maybe not in huge leaps, but never standing still. Plus, the grittyness of the world feels more "real" than any fantasy series I've ever read.

I agree completely. That describes what I like so much about the series, it feels "real" and the story always seems to advance without getting bogged down like the Wheel of Time series did after the first couple books.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:58 AM   #90
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
without getting bogged down like the Wheel of Time series did after the first couple books.
Agreed, and this is such a significant trait for a good storyteller, in my opinion. I've enjoyed much of the WOT series, but Jordan wallows in the details of each plot, major and secondary, and introduces so many characters you almost want to groan out loud when a new one starts off a chapter. On the flip side, Martin advances the plot on multiple fronts, and then has the principal characters reflect on other events that have happened as their plot line continues from their chapter perspective.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:24 AM   #91
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
Agreed, and this is such a significant trait for a good storyteller, in my opinion. I've enjoyed much of the WOT series, but Jordan wallows in the details of each plot, major and secondary, and introduces so many characters you almost want to groan out loud when a new one starts off a chapter. On the flip side, Martin advances the plot on multiple fronts, and then has the principal characters reflect on other events that have happened as their plot line continues from their chapter perspective.

If Martin goes into a full chapter about someone's dress, the cup they are drinking tea out of, and the kind of tea they are drinking, you know we're doomed.

*mutters about Jordan ruining a perfectly good series*
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:42 AM   #92
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Another series that I enjoyed tremendously is Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Series. It is a retelling (with MAJOR changes) of the Arthurian legends, from the point of view of a common spearman. It is similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series in that its heavy on swords and spears, lighter on mysticism and magic.

I concur - that was a fantastic series
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:54 AM   #93
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
If Martin goes into a full chapter about someone's dress, the cup they are drinking tea out of, and the kind of tea they are drinking, you know we're doomed.

*mutters about Jordan ruining a perfectly good series*
I'm with ya, Java Brother. By that last book, I need a friggin' scorecard just to keep track of all the Aes Sedai.

"Now pitching for the White Tower...a disheveled brown from Caemlyn...chubby, with a nose that is perpetually red...she often mumbles under her breath...she likes tea, of course...and, like all other Aes Sedai, frequently re-arranges her skirt or other garments...Jornaaaaaaaa Reeeeeeeed!"
Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 AM   #94
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I'm with ya, Java Brother. By that last book, I need a friggin' scorecard just to keep track of all the Aes Sedai.

"Now pitching for the White Tower...a disheveled brown from Caemlyn...chubby, with a nose that is perpetually red...she often mumbles under her breath...she likes tea, of course...and, like all other Aes Sedai, frequently re-arranges her skirt or other garments...Jornaaaaaaaa Reeeeeeeed!"

GOLD!!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #95
Sadalia
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Another series that I enjoyed tremendously is Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Series. It is a retelling (with MAJOR changes) of the Arthurian legends, from the point of view of a common spearman. It is similar to the Song of Ice and Fire series in that its heavy on swords and spears, lighter on mysticism and magic.

Missed that on my first reading of this thread, but Marc's post brought it to my attention--the Warlord series in great, Cornwell's best work, and although it's obviously based in myth and not fact it makes Dark Ages Britain live and breathe with a solid sense of reality. The battle scenes are among the most vivid and exciting I've read; I'd say the series as whole reminded me more of David Gemmell or Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire than G.R.R. Martin, though.
Sadalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 11:39 AM   #96
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

The good news on the Jordan front (not to completely thread jack) is the word I heard from him and those who have read his newest book. He has promised that 12 would be the end, so that means he has to start actually finishing some story-lines, and from those who read the complete prolouge and first chapter says more happens in those two chapters than has happened in all of the last three books combined.

Old 09-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #97
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

The snippet of the prologue I just found and read *was* interesting. We'll see.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #98
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
The good news on the Jordan front (not to completely thread jack) is the word I heard from him and those who have read his newest book. He has promised that 12 would be the end, so that means he has to start actually finishing some story-lines, and from those who read the complete prolouge and first chapter says more happens in those two chapters than has happened in all of the last three books combined.

Now I have to read the previous book? Bah!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:50 PM   #99
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Now I have to read the previous book? Bah!
I can loan it to you if need be.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:05 PM   #100
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

A spoiler filled post on one of the Jordan fan sites implies that he does actually *gasp* tie up story lines in this book, and almost all of the others have actual movement toward resolution.

He also looks to be in better shape physically then a couple years ago, so at least it looks like he won't die first.

Sachmo- Honestly, no you don't. I could probably sum the book up in about 3-4 paragraphs.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote