Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #701
bhlloy
Coordinator

As a USC fan I love Chad Wheeler, but he might be the only player in the league worse than Peterman. Almost certainly the worst starter. How on earth he’s a starting tackle in the NFL is beyond me. The Athletic had some pass blocking stat in which he was the worst in the league by some huge margin - and the Giants LT was the second worst.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #702
bhlloy
Coordinator

Need moar flags

Actually, yeah that was pretty obvious on replay. Carry on...
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Need moar flags

Actually, yeah that was pretty obvious on replay. Carry on...

That one was, but I was just texting with a buddy that the flags are making the game borderline unwatchable.

Every incomplete pass you have to wait 3 seconds to see if a flag is thrown, not to mention every kick return seems like a flag is thrown.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 PM   #704
bhlloy
Coordinator

Pretty sure they are just legislating kick returns out of the game at this point. I’d love to see the numbers on whether it’s worth ever bothering to return a punt because it doesn’t feel like it.

And another flag to end the game just for the fun of it. Why. Not.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #705
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
On Peterman, how many 7th rounders stick with a team let alone start a few games over a season and a half?

He was a 5th round pick.

And, though it's from 2014, Football Outsiders pointed out what a historically bad spot that was to take a QB

NFL Draft: Round-by-Round QB Study | Football Outsiders

edit to add: And in that 2017 draft class, there were only 2 QB's taken after Peterman: Brad Kaaya and Chad Kelly.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-12-2018 at 10:37 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #706
Thomkal
Head Coach

Monday night game in Mexico City with KC va LA Rams might be postponed because the field is in horrible shape. Might be played in LA instead.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:57 PM   #707
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NFL cancels Mexico City trip, moves Chiefs-Rams game to L.A. for Monday Night Football
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM   #708
Thomkal
Head Coach

Le'Veon Bell won't report to Pittsburgh Steelers

No way I would sign him next year

Last edited by Thomkal : 11-13-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Thomkal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #709
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don’t understand how Bell thinks his actions could help him. He is getting terrible advice and I suspect he would go all Tonya Harding on James Conner if he could.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:24 PM   #710
PilotMan
Head Coach

Bell should go to the Browns. He would be a fantastic weapon for them, and he'd get to see his teammates a couple times a year and he'd be in Cleveland.

Well, he figures that a one year contract, at the franchise tag, wasn't worth the physical toll and risk to his body. He believes that this lost year in his prime won't have a big impact on his overall career production and will help another team see that he can get the contract he wants with that one year less of beatings. He does grasp that running backs have very short careers compared to where they were, which is part of why he wants WR money. I actually think, he's playing a very smart game. It's a bigger gamble than other guys take, but he is hoping that his payoff is going to be the bigger contract he wants.

Here's where it gets really, really murky though. He's banking on his own talent, but football is a game of 53 guys, and they can have an impact on your own career too. He may not have the talent around him to be the player he was with Pittsburgh. Many, many guys have left only to a fraction as effective as they were with the Steelers. Plus, other teams do have to take his commitment to the team into consideration. I don't think that he'll get anywhere near the money that he thinks he will, but I do admire his decision to stick with his plan, for better or worse.

It's best for the Steelers that he not come back. More trouble than it's worth at this point, and a sigh of relief for Connor and the team in general. Plus they keep with the tradition that no player is worth tanking the team over. Especially a player who has had suspensions, injuries, come back out of shape and plays a position that has been shown to be replaceable with the youth coming out of college. Good on them too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

Last edited by PilotMan : 11-13-2018 at 10:25 PM.
PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #711
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Bell should go to the Browns.

A team that just made it clear who they believe their RB of the future is.

Doesn't seem certain at all that the Browns would want him.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:35 PM   #712
RainMaker
General Manager

I'm curious to see what Bell gets paid next year. Passing up $14 million guaranteed doesn't seem smart.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of teams willing to spend big on a veteran back. And I feel like Conner stepping in and holding his own can't bode well for Bell's perceived value. Plus who knows what you're getting from a guy who hasn't played in 18 months. I guess a dumb organization like the Colts could just throw a bunch of money at him hoping he'll solve some problems. Houston would be interesting as they're a good RB away from having a really good offense.

Either way, I just don't see him getting Gurley money.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:43 PM   #713
RainMaker
General Manager

Maybe I'm in the minority but I hate the rules for onside kicks now. Kind of kills any late game drama that you used to have in 2 score games. I think I saw the success rate is like 7% this year and that includes surprise onside kicks which have a much higher rate.

The rules also seem kind of silly. I don't remember many onside kicks causing injuries in the past. They were always pretty fun free-for-alls when you could line up your whole team and see a scrum. Plus even if there is a higher risk of injury, they're done so rarely that I don't see how it makes a difference.

With other rule changes I can see why they did it. But the onside stuff they constantly neuter just seems like changing rules to change rules.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #714
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority but I hate the rules for onside kicks now. Kind of kills any late game drama that you used to have in 2 score games. I think I saw the success rate is like 7% this year and that includes surprise onside kicks which have a much higher rate.

The rules also seem kind of silly. I don't remember many onside kicks causing injuries in the past. They were always pretty fun free-for-alls when you could line up your whole team and see a scrum. Plus even if there is a higher risk of injury, they're done so rarely that I don't see how it makes a difference.

With other rule changes I can see why they did it. But the onside stuff they constantly neuter just seems like changing rules to change rules.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:56 PM   #715
Logan
Head Coach

I thought the idea for Bell to make himself available for only the bare minimum of games made plenty of sense.

I have absolutely no clue what he was thinking in not reporting by the deadline.

Saw on Twitter a clip of random Steelers rummaging through the gear that he left in his locker like Bell had just gone past the 24 hour mark of being in a coma...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:39 PM   #716
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah he lost like 200k in other benefits(401k match/retirement/etc) in addition to all the salary.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:41 PM   #717
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seriously though if I were him and the core of his O-line, including multiple NFLPA reps were talking shit about me I could make a strong case for "f those guys"
Old 11-14-2018, 05:47 PM   #718
miked
College Starter

Well, he gets service time whether he plays or not, so why not sit and get paid next year? If they franchise him, it will cost them 25M, so they won't. He's not a super stud, but the money being thrown around he'll probably walk away with 20-25M guaranteed, much better than the 14M the Steelers were going to give him and push him to 400 touches. Once it was known that they really had no intention of meeting his demand, there is no incentive for him to play.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:56 PM   #719
PilotMan
Head Coach

The strong possibility is there that they will slap with with the transition and make other teams work for him and at least get a shot to match, or at the very least a compensatory pick for him.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 07:00 PM   #720
stevew
Hall Of Famer

99% sure you don't get a pick for losing a guy with the transition tag.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #721
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, he gets service time whether he plays or not, so why not sit and get paid next year? If they franchise him, it will cost them 25M, so they won't. He's not a super stud, but the money being thrown around he'll probably walk away with 20-25M guaranteed, much better than the 14M the Steelers were going to give him and push him to 400 touches. Once it was known that they really had no intention of meeting his demand, there is no incentive for him to play.

I agree, although I think the risk of a career-ending injury is slim. Even if he had torn his ACL, he would still have likely gotten paid well in the offseason.

I could see him doing it over a few million but $14m is no joke for a running back. Plus whatever money he isn't getting through endorsements.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #722
miked
College Starter

I agree, 14M is a lot. On the flip, look at the other RBs that have torn ACLs recently (players in general, Dalvin Cook, Cooper Kupp). According to 247, about 51 players tore ACLs in 2017 and 11 players tore an ACL before the first preseason game. There are other injuries too that would scare teams off long-term. So he risks injuring himself and severely decreasing his value over 14M, whereas now he's in good shape (presumably), healthy, and will probably sign for 20-25M guaranteed...maybe more.

His teammates kind of suck balls too from all their comments. I would not rush back for those guys.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 PM   #723
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
He's not a super stud

Is it just me, or have people forgotten how good Bell is since he started sitting out?
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 04:43 AM   #724
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Is it just me, or have people forgotten how good Bell is since he started sitting out?

i think people believe he benefited with the very good offensive line and supporting cast in pittsburgh as his replacement has performed better in many cases. will he have the same success playing for the jets or browns? i do think he is talented with the same kind of environment as pittsburgh, but not sold on how well he’ll do elsewhere. although i could be wrong, doesn’t seem like many high profile players that leave pittsburgh have as much success playing elsewhere. plus he already has two suspensions, history of injuries, and in a number of big games haven’t fully shown up. even if he is a superstar, he has to actually be available to play in order to make a difference.

time will tell...i am just glad the saga should be over
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #725
AlexB
Pro Starter

What’s Brandon Marshall’s user name here?

Saints WR Brandon Marshall: 'I'm as healthy as a trout' - NFL.com
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 06:03 AM   #726
Logan
Head Coach

Amazing how Rodgers could throw that ball 60 yards to Adams and basically put it on the head of a pin, and then be 3 yards off on a nothing throw to a wide open receiver.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:30 PM   #727
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Report: Colts OL Quenton Nelson fined after video of him goes viral - Stampede Blue

Is that really worth a fine? I thought that's how an offensive lineman is suppose to block. Then again being a Colt's fan I'm not used to seeing actual blocking.

ETA: Whoever added the screaming to that video should be fined.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 11-16-2018 at 09:31 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 10:07 AM   #728
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Cleveland Browns want to interview Condoleezza Rice for head coaching job

Makes sense for the Browns I guess.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #729
Butter
Coordinator

Prediction, Lamar Jackson will torch the Bengals today, everyone will declare him the next great thing, and forget that the Bengals defense is historically bad.

Last edited by Butter : 11-18-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:16 PM   #730
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
On the 33rd anniversary of the Joe Theismann injury, Alex Smith suffers a gruesome ankle injury.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:56 PM   #731
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Prediction, Lamar Jackson will torch the Bengals today, everyone will declare him the next great thing, and forget that the Bengals defense is historically bad.

Bingo
Old 11-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #732
QuikSand
lolzcat

Remember way back in...maybe 2015?... when the Saints were basically a hopeless shell of a team, and where the obvious thing to do was deal Brees and just start over, since they were sooooooo far away from being a legit NFL team?

Good times.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #733
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Interesting decision by the Panthers to go into pre-season mode and go for two with the game on the line.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:51 PM   #734
cuervo72
Head Coach

Nice of Fox to put all of their late game eggs in one basket.
Old 11-18-2018, 09:06 PM   #735
Butter
Coordinator

You know what sucks is that maybe an hour after the game I got a push notification from espn.com that starts with "Lamar Jackson torches Bengals".

Fuck Marvin Lewis
Old 11-19-2018, 02:15 AM   #736
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Yeah, his wait and see quote just has me shaking my head now. Don't know what to think about Marvin anymore, afraid of what might happen if they choose to replace him.

I find myself glad that I detached myself from the emotion of rooting heavily for the team. It used to be that my Sundays were ruined if the Bengals lost, now I just shake my head and continue with whatever I was doing. Not worth the investment.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:36 AM   #737
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
Yeah, his wait and see quote just has me shaking my head now. Don't know what to think about Marvin anymore, afraid of what might happen if they choose to replace him.

I find myself glad that I detached myself from the emotion of rooting heavily for the team. It used to be that my Sundays were ruined if the Bengals lost, now I just shake my head and continue with whatever I was doing. Not worth the investment.

This is me, too.

The team has no hope as long as Mike Brown is running things.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #738
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
On the 33rd anniversary of the Joe Theismann injury, Alex Smith suffers a gruesome ankle injury.
I got a laugh out of the "*BREAKING NEWS* Alex Smith ruled out for season" scroll that came late in the 4pm games. I know we've seen some QB's come back from injuries that looked serious (Aaron Rodgers week 1, Cam Newton yesterday), but one look at the Smith injury was all I needed to say yep, he's done, and please never show that replay again!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 AM   #739
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I haven't verified these are all facts, but someone here at work told me that not only did Smith's injury occur 33 years to the day as Theismann's injury, but they both happened on the 40 yard line and the final score of both games was the same.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #740
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I got a laugh out of the "*BREAKING NEWS* Alex Smith ruled out for season" scroll that came late in the 4pm games. I know we've seen some QB's come back from injuries that looked serious (Aaron Rodgers week 1, Cam Newton yesterday), but one look at the Smith injury was all I needed to say yep, he's done, and please never show that replay again!

My fantasy notification said "Alex Smith has been downgraded from healthy to doubtful".

Yeah, doubtful he's going to be able to walk again. Jesus.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #741
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post

I used to think that, but anybody else is preferable. Bring Dave Shula back from retirement. How about outbidding the Browns for Condy Rice. Anything.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #742
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Remember way back in...maybe 2015?... when the Saints were basically a hopeless shell of a team, and where the obvious thing to do was deal Brees and just start over, since they were sooooooo far away from being a legit NFL team?

Good times.

If after 2016 (the 3rd straight 7-9 season), you had given me 2-1 odds on the bet that Sean Payton wouldn't be coaching the Saints in 2018, I would have probably taken it. Things just felt stale.

Drafting Kamara was like giving him a drink from the fountain of youth mixed with the fountain of giving-no-fucks-whatsoever. It's been a really fun ride.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:31 AM   #743
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I think that the Bears' standard uniform is the best in the NFL. Clean, classic, just enough "stuff" going on. It is my template for what an NFL uniform should look like.

So it annoys me more than it should when they decide to dress like pumpkins for a couple of games a year.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:48 AM   #744
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't verified these are all facts, but someone here at work told me that not only did Smith's injury occur 33 years to the day as Theismann's injury, but they both happened on the 40 yard line and the final score of both games was the same.

JJ Watt used a Ouija board before the game and was possessed by the spirit of Lawrence Taylor.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #745
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It's been a couple of years since I followed the NFL, I had enough after our Rams left.

I'm back onboard this season and it's been a blast watching many of these games. Tonight is no exception with the Chiefs vs Rams. GO CHIEFS!!!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #746
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
Interesting decision by the Panthers to go into pre-season mode and go for two with the game on the line.
Gano had shanked a field goal and extra point earlier, so there could be a small justification. I'm wondering if the Lions wasted summoning a genie to make usually reliable kickers (Crosby, Gano) suck while kicking in a dome.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:30 PM   #747
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
Gano had shanked a field goal and extra point earlier, so there could be a small justification. I'm wondering if the Lions wasted summoning a genie to make usually reliable kickers (Crosby, Gano) suck while kicking in a dome.

They also had Cody Parkey (Bears) hit the upright 4 times in one game. It's been crazy how bad opposing kickers have been against the Lions at home.

The Lions are still pretty awful. Kerryon Johnson looks like the real deal, but he's week-to-week with an ACL sprain now. That's sad.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #748
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post

Gano only hits field goals when they are 63 yards and against the Giants
Old 11-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #749
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfguide View Post
stuff

Are we just ignoring this? It's a masterpiece of bot-dom.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-19-2018 at 05:04 PM. Reason: removed objectionable link
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #750
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Are we just ignoring this? It's a masterpiece of bot-dom.

I thought JBMagic had returned for a second