Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2019, 10:39 PM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll be damned, Auburn did it to a Pac-12 team again.

(No, I didn't think they'd pull that one off, not with a struggling freshman QB)

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:43 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quality control, sportswriting edition:
From the AP story about Wyoming upsetting Missouri

"It was the second upset win on the day by a Mountain West Conference team against a Southeastern Conference member. Earlier Saturday, Boise State beat Florida State 36-31 in Tallahassee, Florida."
Old 09-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #53
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Good to see Mizzou has a worse defense than last year... I didn't know that was even possible.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #54
tarcone
Coordinator

I thought Odom was going to be more hands on with the defense, or running it?

What happened?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #55
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

What happened?

That's a great question. If he's running the defense and this is the result, he might want to look at other options.
Old 09-01-2019, 12:56 PM   #56
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What happened?

He got more hands on with the defense.

Last edited by panerd : 09-01-2019 at 12:57 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #57
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
That's a great question. If he's running the defense and this is the result, he might want to look at other options.

I know the skill position players are supposed to be faster but good lord our defense is slow. Not even pretending we are "SEC" quality but our secondary should be able to chase down Wyoming right?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:33 PM   #58
PilotMan
Head Coach

That was a great game for Wyoming. Coach Bohl has made that them a strong team. He's finally been there long enough that his recruits have finally filled the system.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #59
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Alabama -55.5 vs New Mexico St. I think that's the largest spread for a game involving two 1A teams since Houston/SMU in 1989. (FSU/Savannah State closed at -67 a couple years back, but ended up being a no contests when the game was called at 55-0 after 3 quarters.)
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #60
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I know the skill position players are supposed to be faster but good lord our defense is slow. Not even pretending we are "SEC" quality but our secondary should be able to chase down Wyoming right?

It's the defensive play calling too.. how they let their QB run for that TD baffles me. Nobody around for miles... it's going to be a long season.

Congrats to Wyoming though, well done!
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #61
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It's the defensive play calling too.. how they let their QB run for that TD baffles me. Nobody around for miles... it's going to be a long season.

Congrats to Wyoming though, well done!

WVU is going through a rebuild with Neal Brown so Saturday should be interesting. I don't think there's enough experience on offense to score enough to win. The O-Line is inexperienced, the QB will be making his 2nd real career start, and the receivers are mostly freshman/sophomores other than TJ Simmons. Running back is a strength, but requires blocking up front.

The defense is solid on the front 7, but the weakness is the secondary which JMU wasn't able to test at all.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #62
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
WVU is going through a rebuild with Neal Brown so Saturday should be interesting. I don't think there's enough experience on offense to score enough to win. The O-Line is inexperienced, the QB will be making his 2nd real career start, and the receivers are mostly freshman/sophomores other than TJ Simmons. Running back is a strength, but requires blocking up front.

The defense is solid on the front 7, but the weakness is the secondary which JMU wasn't able to test at all.

It will be interesting for sure. I'm not really sure what to expect out of us this weekend.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 PM   #63
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, the Razorbacks are 1-0 but many fans say we should have put Portland State away and had a more convincing win. No one is expecting a breakout season but I'm hoping for a minor bowl assuming a QB steps up.

Sad state of affairs for Razorback nation.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:21 AM   #64
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
FWIW, the Razorbacks are 1-0 but many fans say we should have put Portland State away and had a more convincing win. No one is expecting a breakout season but I'm hoping for a minor bowl assuming a QB steps up.

Sad state of affairs for Razorback nation.

Ole Miss sucks tho. Should be an interesting pillow fight.

Pumped about playing the champs in Death Valley as I think we are a sneaky good team. I havent drank enough of the kool-aid to predict an Aggie win but I think we keep it within 7-10. Clemson is just too damn good right now.

Also excited to see if Ehlinger and the Horns are really back or not.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:25 AM   #65
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Ole Miss sucks tho.

And that's putting it mildly.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #66
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Ole Miss sucks tho. Should be an interesting pillow fight.

Pumped about playing the champs in Death Valley as I think we are a sneaky good team. I havent drank enough of the kool-aid to predict an Aggie win but I think we keep it within 7-10. Clemson is just too damn good right now.

Also excited to see if Ehlinger and the Horns are really back or not.

You arent traveling in to watch the game are you?

Mond gave us fits last year. Lots of missed tackles last week. Jimbo always stresses Venables.

In fact I was actually going to be the upset. Then I saw the line was sitting at 17.5 and while Vegas screws up, they dont usually screw up that bad. In fact the only thing that gives me any confidence in this game is the Vegas line.

Strangely I think what I see as Clemson's weakness may end up being its strength. The DL is way down from last year....and despite aTm's OL issues (which haunt Jimbo wherever he goes) I dont think Clemson can exploit it and get significant pressure on Mond. I actually think this is a benefit though as Id much rather have Mond sitting in the pocket precision passing than letting him roll and play scramble drill. Clemson has a veteran secondary and I expect passing windows to be tight on designed routes.

Elko likewise gave us fits all the way back to his WF days. Hopefully we can open some holes and let ETN eat a bit on the ground.

All in all looks like one of the few games I will get to attend this year and Im stoked to check it out how ever it plays out.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 AM   #67
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
You arent traveling in to watch the game are you?

Mond gave us fits last year. Lots of missed tackles last week. Jimbo always stresses Venables.

In fact I was actually going to be the upset. Then I saw the line was sitting at 17.5 and while Vegas screws up, they dont usually screw up that bad. In fact the only thing that gives me any confidence in this game is the Vegas line.

Strangely I think what I see as Clemson's weakness may end up being its strength. The DL is way down from last year....and despite aTm's OL issues (which haunt Jimbo wherever he goes) I dont think Clemson can exploit it and get significant pressure on Mond. I actually think this is a benefit though as Id much rather have Mond sitting in the pocket precision passing than letting him roll and play scramble drill. Clemson has a veteran secondary and I expect passing windows to be tight on designed routes.

Elko likewise gave us fits all the way back to his WF days. Hopefully we can open some holes and let ETN eat a bit on the ground.

All in all looks like one of the few games I will get to attend this year and Im stoked to check it out how ever it plays out.

Would absolutely love to be there but I'm blowing my road trip dough to Athens this year.

Solid preview and I was shocked Vegas had us as 20 point dogs (it has since gone down to 17) and that, like you, makes me worried that there is something I dont know. ETN scares me more than Trevor does but the way they complement each other puts a ton of pressure on defenses. We looked pretty salty last week there, but you obviously have to take into consideration the level of competition. We need our front 4 to keep the fat guys off our backers and they need to be sure tacklers.

As for Mond, if he can be more consistent then we have a shot. The problem is for a quarter or 2, he loses his shit and becomes highly inaccurate and makes dumbass decisions. This is starter year number 3 so it's time to put it all together. If he does, he can be a very good QB.

Very much looking forward to this!
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:45 AM   #68
cuervo72
Head Coach

Iowa - that number font is not an improvement.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:10 PM   #69
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Maryland making an early statement, though Syracuse is still in it.

Army triple option also keeping them around vs Michigan, like the Oklahoma game last year.
Old 09-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #70
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Army stops them to start the 3rd quarter and are driving. If they score a touchdown on this drive there will be a wave of panic in the stadium.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #71
Edward64
Head Coach

MO doing quite a job on WV.

Enjoying the Army MI game also. Rooting for the underdog but do think MI has a top 3 colors/uniform.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:04 PM   #72
PilotMan
Head Coach

Targeting is stupid on a play like the one that got that kid kicked for Army.

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 02:20 PM   #73
PilotMan
Head Coach

The return of the NDSU/ UND rivalry game that's over 100 years olds returns today. The Bison are big favorites for the home opener, but having lost 3 times to them in college there is no point total that is sufficient to win by.

Also, I'm flying this weekend with a UND grad. In aviation, there aren't a lot of us NDSU guys compared to the UND guys so any extra chance to pile on is good. As long as we win I shouldn't have any problem working with him the rest of the trip.

Like Steam?

Old 09-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Idle thing I noticed in the box scores ... one of the numerous RBs used by Kennesaw State today vs Kent State is Bronson Rechsteiner.

Yep, that's the son of Rick Steiner.
Old 09-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #75
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Targeting is stupid on a play like the one that got that kid kicked for Army.

Yeah, that was rather bogus.
Old 09-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #76
tarcone
Coordinator

Iowa with their first B1G opener shutout since 1981. That was the year that Hayden Fry turned the program around and they went to the Rose Bowl.

Iowa is good. The defense is really good. You need to watch AJ Epenesa play. He has to be the best DE in the nation.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #77
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Iowa - that number font is not an improvement.

I guess I never noticed and dont remember a change. Still a great uni.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #78
tarcone
Coordinator

Nebby offense came to play today

Old 09-07-2019, 04:44 PM   #79
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Badgers......if they actually have good QB play they're gonna be tough to beat.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:13 PM   #80
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Probably over anyways, but I would have gone for that 4th & 5? if I was Texas A&M. Play to win.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #81
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
It will be interesting for sure. I'm not really sure what to expect out of us this weekend.

I didn't expect 38-7 but it wasn't very far from my expectation. This offensive line is probably the worst of P5s. Neal Brown is all about creating a culture and too many guys left the program this summer to be competitive this year. He has his work cut out for him and he needs to show he can put a competent offense on the field because he failed to do that at Troy and isn't off to a good start at WVU.

In other news, Florida State putting up a hell of a fight against UL Monroe.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:05 PM   #82
RainMaker
General Manager

Those Michigan State uniforms are bad.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #83
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I didn't expect 38-7 but it wasn't very far from my expectation. This offensive line is probably the worst of P5s. Neal Brown is all about creating a culture and too many guys left the program this summer to be competitive this year. He has his work cut out for him and he needs to show he can put a competent offense on the field because he failed to do that at Troy and isn't off to a good start at WVU.

In other news, Florida State putting up a hell of a fight against UL Monroe.

I still feel pretty good about Brown. I had talked myself into thinking there was more talent remaining than there actually is, but I like the discipline and the way he manages the program. There were just way too few, if any, positions where we were physically equal to or better than Mizzou today. Once we get a couple classes in, I think we can get back into the top 4 of the Big 12.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #84
Thomkal
Head Coach

Don't look now but Coastal Carolina down 7-6 at the half at Kansas. Missed PAT from being tied. It would be Coastal's first ever win against a Power 5 conference team.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 PM   #85
JPhillips
General Manager

Does Kansas really count, though?
Old 09-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #86
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Does Kansas really count, though?

They all count baby kicker having a bad day though-just missed a FG that would have put them up by 8. 12-7 with over 5 mins left.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 PM   #87
Thomkal
Head Coach

But Kansas just missed a 4th and 3 giving the ball back to the Chants at about the 30.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:14 PM   #89
Thomkal
Head Coach

Woot! Chants win! Didn't really see that coming based on their first game of the season.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:15 PM   #90
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

He made it, but why the timeout? Seems like a wasted timeout to use in the 3rd quarter.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #91
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lol Vols
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #92
Edward64
Head Coach

LSU Texas game turning out to be pretty good back-and-forth.
Old 09-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #93
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
He made it, but why the timeout? Seems like a wasted timeout to use in the 3rd quarter.

Play clock was running out
Old 09-07-2019, 09:33 PM   #94
tarcone
Coordinator

Texas defense is weak. Need some DBs.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:39 PM   #95
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess I never noticed and dont remember a change. Still a great uni.

Apparently it wasn't new this year, but last year. Still, old numbers were better.

(Same goes for the Steelers.)
Old 09-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #96
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Tennessee about to get booted from the SEC
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #97
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Tennessee about to get booted from the SEC

And Arkansas to follow. We are a sad, sad team

(Please Petrino, please come back ... all the action you want, we'll turn a blind eye!)
Old 09-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #98
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
And Arkansas to follow. We are a sad, sad team

That was like watching two zombies fight over a chipmunk.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #99
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nebby offense came to play today

The defense however ...
Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #100
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
That was a hell of a game. So close on recovering the onside kick
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote