Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Would you move for your child to play at a 'better' high school?

Recently, I found out that the offensive coordinator in Festus (where I used to live) decided to 'move' to Kirkwood (ping:WSUCougar, Jeremy Maclin). His oldest son was the starting quarterback at Festus last year as a sophomore. He also played varsity his freshman year as a receiver, quarterback, and long snapper. Coaching youth football in town, I got to know the kid and his dad.

The kid's a pretty good athlete...I know I've been around better, but there's no doubt he's got talent. I don't believe he's as great as his dad makes him out to be, but isn't that what a dad is for? His dad's always been about hyping stats and combine numbers. I don't mind combine numbers. That will get you recruited in a heart beat. I suspect he'll blow the SPARQ camp's numbers way out when he goes next summer as a rising senior because his dad's trained him repeatedly with SPARQ gear since I can remember. But outside of youth football, his son hasn't put up crazy impressive numbers as a quarterback.

Presumably, it's because the talent around him wasn't good enough. That's the reason for the move.

My question, if you had a child that could compete collegiately, would you move for a chance to have him 'seen' more by scouts?

The area's football isn't amazing, but it's produced D-1 talent in previous years and routinely has players playing at the lower levels as well. Scouts do make it through the area, obviously.

I can't see me pulling the trigger on it. I don't really believe I could consider it. His dad's been known to try and stack decks in youth football before as well as 'suggesting' kids move to Festus, so it's not a real surprise to me.

Last edited by Poli : 07-08-2012 at 08:45 AM.
Poli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think I would move in this scenario tho we did choose the school districts we were looking at for houses before our son was born with this in mind. We wanted a well rounded school district that he could be noticed for anything he excelled in (academics/athletics/drama etc).

In HS I didn't want to move to a private school because I knew I'd get more exposure at my current HS (which I did) so I stayed put but /shrug
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
tarcone
Coordinator

Will he even play at Kirkwood? Thats a pretty good program. And why Kirkwood? Why not go to Webb City? If football is what he wants for his son, he should take him to the best program in the state.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Will he even play at Kirkwood? Thats a pretty good program. And why Kirkwood? Why not go to Webb City? If football is what he wants for his son, he should take him to the best program in the state.
I'm guessing he wants to stay in the STL area and not pay for school...otherwise I'd say he'd be more likely to land at John Burroughs (with a current Ohio St commit) or Saint Louis Univ HS, which routinely churns out D1 talent.

Kirkwood played in the championship game last year, I believe they lost.

I did talk to a coach around this area that's placed Kirkwood recently...he said about the same thing. I believe his son will play. He is a good athlete, I just don't know he's going to be the ALL WORLD type player he would have been in Festus. To be honest, he wasn't ALL WORLD last year despite the level of competition he faced.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Ping: Joe McCoy

Old 07-08-2012, 09:07 AM   #6
Poli
FOFC Survivor

You'll have to help me with that ping.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:08 AM   #7
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poli View Post
You'll have to help me with that ping.

Old 07-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I looked it up, I haven't seen much Friday Night Lights, but it's on the Netflix to watch.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I never bought that a 5 foot nothing scrub like JD could be considered an elite prospect. Street fit the bill much better.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I looked it up, I haven't seen much Friday Night Lights, but it's on the Netflix to watch.

If nothing else, season one is freaking amazing. Season 2 suffers the most from the writers' strike and the following seasons still feel too short, but it's a great series overall.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #11
Poli
FOFC Survivor

I've always been weary of watching a show or movie about football. I guess it's because one of my best friend's is a doctor. At a few of the functions I've been to with him, I've repeatedly heard doctors make sarcastic comments about "House".

I know, we all should know, that there's virtually no way to make a show like House or say a show about police, or law, or whatever completely accurate. It has to be entertaining, it's on television, after all. I loved House, but to hear them talk about it was annoying.

I don't want to be that guy where people say, "Man, did you see that blah, blah, blah show (based on football)?"

"Yeah, but the football absolutely sucked. He said 'boot right', but the play went left."
Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #12
cougarfreak
College Starter

I've coached high school sports for 21 years, and I can tell youthis: if you're kid is good enough, he'll be found. I'd send him to a school's camp, and if he's good enough, he'll get noticed real quick.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As phrased, either surrounding talent or exposure, the best I can answer is "maybe". That would probably come down how severe the dearth of talent/exposure really was.

If I can make the question more general, along the lines of "would you move to noticeably improve the opportunity" then it's an absolutely easy yes.

Watched this happen with the best prospect on "our" (i.e. my son's school) team a couple of years ago. Kid was, IMO, a marginal D1 or reasonable D1A prospect at safety ... but both he & his dad see him as a potential QB. Wasn't gonna happen for him here, coaching staff has a strong prejudice toward upperclassmen and he was likely to have at least a two year wait to play on offense.

So as a freshman the family switched schools ... into a pro-style offense under a legendary coach who has put more than his share of players into D1 including a pair of starting QB's ... one of which happened to be UGA's David Greene (at one time the winningest college QB ever IIRC).

As much as I think the move hurt our team, as a parent I can't bring myself to blame them for the decision one bit. It wasn't one thing, it was the combination of all things.

We're a mobile society, and a D1 scholarship at a top 25 program is worth six figures. If there's a chance that meaningfully improves your odds at that prize then you go for it.

A college football career is a commodity, and one with a limited shelf life at that. It's probably true that the product could be bought from any store if its good enough, but it's easier to make that sale at Wal-Mart than at Joe's Corner Store.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

I think Jon's point is a good one. Your original question assumes that the player's development will remain the same regardless of location. It would be safe to guess that moving to a better program would improve the quality of coaching.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Found a thread where we talked about this a while back:
Parents and High School athletes - Front Office Football Central

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
tarcone
Coordinator

Union had Jordan Webb playing QB. Union is a good program, but in the mid sized classification. They went to the playoffs with Webb. And he ended up at Kansas and started last season or the season before.

I hate this type of thing. Where is the loyalty? Where is the community pride?

Wouldnt this kid get more out of being a player that led his average football school to the playoffs? In the community where he grew up?

It sounds l to me he is going from the opportunity of being the big fish in a medium pond to a small fish in a big pond. Doenst make sense.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #17
tarcone
Coordinator

I think Festus is in our district. So i guess this is a good thing for our HS.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

One of the top running backs in the nation, (you'll hear about him - he signed with Texas) is named Jonathan Gray. He went to Crowley, Texas until his freshman year, and transferred to Aledo, Texas where he won 3 straight state titles. Crowley is a football graveyard, and Aledo is called Southlake Carroll lite.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/fo...s/_/class/2012

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf...ory?id=6408807
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 07-08-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I hate this type of thing. Where is the loyalty? Where is the community pride?

What is this "community" of which you speak?

Only 59 percent of Americans live in the state where they were born.

In the 80's the annual rate of people who changed residences peaked at just over 20 percent. Even a record low (since 1948) last year was nearly 12 percent. That's every year.

Mobility comes with some costs.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #20
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
What is this "community" of which you speak?

Only 59 percent of Americans live in the state where they were born.

In the 80's the annual rate of people who changed residences peaked at just over 20 percent. Even a record low (since 1948) last year was nearly 12 percent. That's every year.

Mobility comes with some costs.

I get this. I moved away from my hometown. And have moved a few times. But now that my children are in school, we wont move until after they graduate.
Moving because you lost your job or got a better job or you want to be closer to family is a lot different then moving because you think your kid will have a better chance at a scholarship.
If the kid has lived in Festus his whole life and Dad wants to move because of some perceived better opportunity is ridiculous.
This is where I am coming from. Big fish in a medium pond or a small fish in a big pond.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I think Festus is in our district. So i guess this is a good thing for our HS.

I think district play is out this year in favor of the playoff rankings of old. You do have Festus in October, though. They've beat Pacific the past two years, but last year's game was close.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
It would be safe to guess that moving to a better program would improve the quality of coaching.

His dad's doing the coaching, regardless. I doubt the school's facilities are that much of an upgrade over what his dad can provide, who owns a couple of rehab centers in the area.

His home 'included' a home theater with stadium seating for watching game film. They had a pretty darn nifty gym in his home as well.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #23
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
I get this. I moved away from my hometown. And have moved a few times. But now that my children are in school, we wont move until after they graduate.
Moving because you lost your job or got a better job or you want to be closer to family is a lot different then moving because you think your kid will have a better chance at a scholarship.
If the kid has lived in Festus his whole life and Dad wants to move because of some perceived better opportunity is ridiculous.
This is where I am coming from. Big fish in a medium pond or a small fish in a big pond.

Dad's from the area as well. Went on to walk on I believe at Utah St., I know he's always been 'hype my kids', I just can't imagine moving to make it happen.

I've moved a hundred times. I'm much more able to up and leave than most, but moving for an opportunity seems out there for me. I find it hard to believe he'll get more of a chance to shine than if he did at Festus...and the thing is he really didn't shine last year.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #24
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

What if you decide to move because you're kid is smart and he isn't being challenged by the schools in your district? Or what if you decided to send your kid to a private prep school?

In these cases, we often praise the parents. I don't see why this case is any different, except that it's easier to evaluate an athlete than a mathlete.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #25
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
What if you decide to move because you're kid is smart and he isn't being challenged by the schools in your district? Or what if you decided to send your kid to a private prep school?

In these cases, we often praise the parents. I don't see why this case is any different, except that it's easier to evaluate an athlete than a mathlete.

Funny, my wife and I were discussing that scenario on the way to the in-laws.

I might consider putting Dav in a private school for an academic reason, but I am not sure we would move to make that happen.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #26
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am not sure we would move to make that happen.

From personal experience, I'll say that (I believe) you would if you had to.

How else could you explain me ending up in Bulldog hell?
Old 07-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #27
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
From personal experience, I'll say that (I believe) you would if you had to.

How else could you explain me ending up in Bulldog hell?

My wife just changed her mind. She is pro-move.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #28
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougarfreak View Post
I've coached high school sports for 21 years, and I can tell youthis: if you're kid is good enough, he'll be found. I'd send him to a school's camp, and if he's good enough, he'll get noticed real quick.

This. There are so many camps in play now that Kids will get on the radar and also many Colleges now will not offer kids until they either see them at a camp their coaches attend or the kids come to their schools camp.

The odds of getting an academic scholarship to a D1 school are still higher than the odds of an athletic schollie. Now I understand that many athletes don't have the grades to get academic help, but that should still be the focus of high school, since the odds of making a living playing Football are incredibly long and I feel too many parents still place too many eggs in the athletics as a path to adult success basket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Found a thread where we talked about this a while back:
Parents and High School athletes - Front Office Football Central

SI

Since I started this thread I will pretty much stick by the opinions I posted here. There may be instances where it is better to move because of the environment at a school, but the circumstances surrounding many of these moves is still sketchy and just plain illegal in many circumstances. Such as parents (boosters) in wealthy schools supplying kids with apartments, while the parents continue to live in their old areas, parents taking kids in for the Football season so they can play at a better school. This is High School, but with some it is almost like an NFL free agent attitude and I know there are coaches here in AZ that cater to 'boosters' with the full awareness that these things go on.

There are also some coaches that don't, that still benefit from kids coming in and do not cater, do not recruit and make the move ins earn their spot. So be it and you had good fortune.

Because of the way things are here in AZ (open enrollment for freshmen) my opinion as a rule (and I grant there will always be exceptions) is this. If sports really drive where you want your child to go to school. Take advantage of open enrollment and get them to that school before their freshmen year and if your variance is accepted, stick it out.

Kids going to 3 schools in 4 years by getting addresses in different attendance zones, while never leaving their actual homes is bullshit. Kids enrolling out of state, then re-enrolling back in state to bypass the sit out a year rule is bullshit and any coaches that take these kids while knowing what is happening are bullshit. These are just parents pimping and putting undue pressure on their kids to live through them and coaches thatr recruit or condone this lack integrity.

Hell, I have been contacted this off season through our website by 2 coaches and 3 parents who wanted to get a total of 9 players into the school I coach at as freshmen through the open enrollment variance process. Because of contacts I have and other kids coming to our school that know these players, they are all solid athletes that would probably start or at least contribute for me next season. Two of the kids I have seen play and they are complete studs who would make us better. All nine were denied their variances though because we were full and had no room to take out of area kids.

Does this suck for me as a coach? Sure, but I told the people who contacted me I could not and would not try and pull strings. I had never recruited or talked to these kids before their parents/coaches called me and I explained to each one that I was sorry they could not get their kids/players in, but we did not make exceptions for athletes. It was surprising how many told me that other coaches had talked to them about getting variances to go to their schools and in a one case the guys was surprised I would not be honored that his son wanted to play for us and I would not fight for him. Again, I told that was not how we did things and that the other schools were violating AIA violations with what they did, then wished him well at wherever he ended up.

I won't lie, I would have loved to have these kids playing for us, but we do things the right way and at the end of the day I take much more pride in that as a coach than I do in wins and losses. We will take the freshmen in our area, coach our asses off and still have a good season. Maybe not as good as it could have been, but I can live with that.

Sorry, to get off on a tangent, but I just think there is something wrong with HS sports these days when kids start getting recruited in 7th grade to go to a high school and parents will go to such lengths to get their kids or others kids to certain schools for High School glory, as this is what it amounts to in a lot of cases as these kids will not end up in the NFL and won't miss out on a college education if they are talented enough and attend camps and the 7 on 7 / linemen events that all three major schools in Arizona put on.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
Senator

This is an interesting topic. I guess as a parent, you balance all the issues, and whatever is most important to you (athletic, scholastic, safety, ect) you make the decision if you are able.

I know my son will go to a private school because we are lucky enough to do that. The fact that his uncle is the head coach of the football team is just an added bonus. I know he will get all the opportunities available, and every parent wants that. If I couldn't swing the private school, indeed I would look at all variables and move if I deemed it most beneficial to him.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Old 07-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post

The only thing I would say about this (at least) from here in AZ is private prep schools have no enrollment boundaries and again any child for either academic or athletic reasons could choose these schools as incoming freshmen.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
This is an interesting topic. I guess as a parent, you balance all the issues, and whatever is most important to you (athletic, scholastic, safety, ect) you make the decision if you are able.

I know my son will go to a private school because we are lucky enough to do that. The fact that his uncle is the head coach of the football team is just an added bonus. I know he will get all the opportunities available, and every parent wants that. If I couldn't swing the private school, indeed I would look at all variables and move if I deemed it most beneficial to him.

I don't really get it either. Like you said, if you have your kid switch high schools so they can go to one that offers them better opportunities in art or music, or because they will have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship no one has a problem with it. But doing the same thing because of athletics and some people have an issue with it.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #32
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I don't really get it either. Like you said, if you have your kid switch high schools so they can go to one that offers them better opportunities in art or music, or because they will have a better chance of getting an academic scholarship no one has a problem with it. But doing the same thing because of athletics and some people have an issue with it.

Really no issues with it if you do that for the freshmen year. I think the issues arise with it happens twice during a career, or when there is recruiting involved or deceit, which happens a lot. And again, there are many more avenues for a kids athletic talent to be noticed outside of the school setting.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #33
tarcone
Coordinator

I disagree to the academic movement, to a point. If you live in St louis, yeah, you are moving to Kirkwood. Thats a no-brainer. But most schools in metro areas are as good as you make them. A smart kid in a great school that is lazy and doesnt do anything isnt going to get very much benefit. A smart kid in an average school that is motivated will get a great education. Their parents just need to find the right teachers.
You dont need to go to a private school to get a great education. Sure their are advantages. But a kid can get a great education at many public schools.

And dont get me started on athletes transferring to private institutions midway through their HS careers. grumble, grumble.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:37 PM   #34
lcjjdnh
College Prospect

Quote:
I disagree to the academic movement, to a point. If you live in St louis, yeah, you are moving to Kirkwood. Thats a no-brainer. But most schools in metro areas are as good as you make them. A smart kid in a great school that is lazy and doesnt do anything isnt going to get very much benefit. A smart kid in an average school that is motivated will get a great education. Their parents just need to find the right teachers.
You dont need to go to a private school to get a great education. Sure their are advantages. But a kid can get a great education at many public schools.

And dont get me started on athletes transferring to private institutions midway through their HS careers. grumble, grumble.

Yeah, I think people often forget correlation=/=causation. The "best" schools often look the best because they have the best students and most dedicated parents ex ante--it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. That is, it's the kids/parents that drive the school's ranking, not the other way around. Not to say there are not network effects from going to a school with other bright kids with dedicated parents, but most smart kids will turn out fine either way. And they may even benefit from going to a school where they will be the big fish in the small pond.
lcjjdnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #35
Senator

How about this one? Many of the kids who go to private schools here and are 3rd through 20th in the class will transfer to a public school their senior year so that they can be valedictorian. Just like the kid who is 2nd team QB will transfer to a private school his senior yr to start.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Nice bit of research here, looking at last season in Georgia. It largely puts paid to the incredible amount of paranoia that a handful of whining cowards used to largely upend the classification system.

Athletic transfers top 6,000 for 2011-2012 | Prep Zone: High School Sports

Quote:
The four private schools that won all-sports trophies – Marist (AAAA), Woodward Academy (AAA), Westminster (AA) and Wesleyan (A) – had only 18 eligible transfers in 2011-12, an average of 4.5 per school.

Those four COMBINED barely had as many as the state average.

Quote:
The numbers don’t predict sports success. For example, of the schools with the most transfers in each of the 16 regions in AAAAAA and AAAAA, three were region champions and three were runners-up in 2011, but eight finished in the bottom half of the standings.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 08-07-2012 at 10:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:04 PM   #37
Poli
FOFC Survivor

A year later update:

His son started at linebacker last season and backed up at quarterback. He's been passed up by Division 1 schools. His dad says it's because of his size.

He was set to start the season at quarterback and linebacker this year, but injured his foot the week before the season. He's not expected back until at least half way through the season.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #38
Poli
FOFC Survivor

End of season update:

He "committed" to Army last week.

I didn't realize, though it makes sense, that the service academies can bypass NCAA scholarship limitations. Nifty.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #39
MrBug708
Head Coach

My parents moved so we could go to a better public high school, academically.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #40
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
My parents moved so we could go to a better public high school, academically.

I haven't moved so my kids could go to a better school, but I have put my boys into private school after we were rezoned into a sub-standard school.

(couldn't give a flying monkeys about athletics/sport programs myself - but for academics heck yeah, I'll do everything possible to give my kids a decent start in life)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 AM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Recently, I found out that the offensive coordinator in Festus (where I used to live) decided to 'move' to Kirkwood (ping:WSUCougar, Jeremy Maclin). His oldest son was the starting quarterback at Festus last year as a sophomore. He also played varsity his freshman year as a receiver, quarterback, and long snapper. Coaching youth football in town, I got to know the kid and his dad.

The kid's a pretty good athlete...I know I've been around better, but there's no doubt he's got talent. I don't believe he's as great as his dad makes him out to be, but isn't that what a dad is for? His dad's always been about hyping stats and combine numbers. I don't mind combine numbers. That will get you recruited in a heart beat. I suspect he'll blow the SPARQ camp's numbers way out when he goes next summer as a rising senior because his dad's trained him repeatedly with SPARQ gear since I can remember. But outside of youth football, his son hasn't put up crazy impressive numbers as a quarterback.

Presumably, it's because the talent around him wasn't good enough. That's the reason for the move.

My question, if you had a child that could compete collegiately, would you move for a chance to have him 'seen' more by scouts?

The area's football isn't amazing, but it's produced D-1 talent in previous years and routinely has players playing at the lower levels as well. Scouts do make it through the area, obviously.

I can't see me pulling the trigger on it. I don't really believe I could consider it. His dad's been known to try and stack decks in youth football before as well as 'suggesting' kids move to Festus, so it's not a real surprise to me.

In Colorado, they would have teams called Varsity 2 and at bigger high schools Varsity 3 so kids could say they played Varsity. This is for sports like tennis where you don't have many kids on a roster. It was bizarre to me being from the east coast.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM   #42
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'd move my child to learn at a better school, because what they learn is 100x more important than the sports they play.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 AM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I'd move my child to learn at a better school, because what they learn is 100x more important than the sports they play.

This.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #44
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I agree in spirit, but in the U.S., playing a sport well can be the difference between going to an elite college and going to an average one (depending on your financial situatoin). That's ridiculous, but its reality, so I see why parents go all in on athletics. As a non-parent, I can't even imagine the financial stresses and burdens that go into planning for college, so if there's a chance of a way out of that, shit, ya, I'd pick up and move.

Last edited by molson : 02-19-2014 at 10:57 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 AM   #45
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I agree to some extent with what you are saying. But there are advantages to sports and getting noticed. I went to a big high school in Western PA. I was not a Division 1 caliber athlete, but I was good enough to play in college. That allowed me to get money to help me afford a better education and go to a school I normally would not been able to afford for me or my parents.

Had I gone to another smaller school, the likely hood of me getting noticed would have been diminished. If we are considering academic to be equal or close to equal, and it gave my child a chance to get noticed...then yes I would move. I would give my child every opportunity (in my power) to succeed.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:21 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It may, however, not be to their advantage in terms of their college options nor their financial options.

The transfer QB I mentioned earlier in the thread definitely took a step backwards in terms of academic reputation ... and still ended up with offers to play in the Ivy league (before eventually accepting a ride to NC State).

Also, I wouldn't say it's uncommon (might even argue that it's common) for players here to transfer into situations where they get an improvement in both aspects, or the worst make a major improvement in athletics without any substantial difference in academics (or environment)

Off the top of my head I can't think of too many cases where players left GoodEducationHS to play for YouGottaBeKiddingMeHS on the basis of "the latter has a better team or more playing time". Much more common seems to be middle-of-the-road academic athletes making lateral moves to improve their sports prospects or leaving OughtaBeClosed HS to get themselves to RelativelyOkay HS.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 PM   #47
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I should point out that there's plenty of evidence of people moving in order to get their kids into better schools for academic reasons. It's called people fleeing big city schools for suburb schools and has been going on for decades now.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:00 PM   #48
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
End of season update:

He "committed" to Army last week.

I didn't realize, though it makes sense, that the service academies can bypass NCAA scholarship limitations. Nifty.
Well technically no one there is on an athletic scholarship. I assume they have the same NCAA limits on players they can have practice (like 120 or something?)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
In Colorado, they would have teams called Varsity 2 and at bigger high schools Varsity 3 so kids could say they played Varsity. This is for sports like tennis where you don't have many kids on a roster. It was bizarre to me being from the east coast.
Yea, but it's also bizarre to me that they have such big schools. Cherry Creek has like 4000 students, and you see this with other powerhouse athletic schools like Long Beach Poly (CA), Allen (TX), Parkview (GA), etc. Up here you don't see any suburban HS's with more than 2000 enrollment (9-12), and a bunch are around 1000.

Overall, no one really moves up here because the private schools (or the Catholics, which play in the public leagues) are such an outlet (I'd estimate ~50% of the best lacrosse players and 90% of the best hockey players go there). But I have seen people look at athletics when choosing what town to move to if they're either moving into the area from out of state or they're moving out of Boston proper, and I could easily see myself doing that. If I'm choosing between a Winchester and a Melrose, or a Dedham and a Needham, it's a no-brainer which town I'd look in.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Cherry Creek has like 4000 students, and you see this with other powerhouse athletic schools like Long Beach Poly (CA), Allen (TX), Parkview (GA), etc. Up here you don't see any suburban HS's with more than 2000 enrollment (9-12), and a bunch are around 1000.

Just fwiw, Parkview is now down to 2,820 ... and is only the 10th largest in the state. The biggest is now Mill Creek (3,708), one of 8 Gwinnett County schools in the top ten.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:47 PM   #50
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Just fwiw, Parkview is now down to 2,820 ... and is only the 10th largest in the state. The biggest is now Mill Creek (3,708), one of 8 Gwinnett County schools in the top ten.
I'm not sure if its weirder that its congregated in one county or not.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote