Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #551
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Eric Byrnes is trying hard to be the next Joe Morgan. Last night on WFAN he was talking about the Votto extension and said,

Votto is a nice player, but he isn't Pujols or even Prince Fielder, now the numbers may say otherwise. . .

and later

You look at A-Rod and you can tell he's a superstar. I look at Votto and he isn't chiseled like a superstar. He looks like the guy next door.

Well, I know when I (foolishly) shell out $200M, I want to make sure he looks good rather than some phoney baloney stats that demonstrate how he might actually be worth $200M to a team.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM   #552
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Hooray!!!

And yes, its incredibly strange and silly. I guess I can understand the Japan series (its for oodles of $$), but why have a night game the day before Opening Day?

I think oodles of money is also the answer. ESPN wants to get their mitts on it, maybe not even for a lot of money but for the prestige of "We get Opening Day".

SI

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #553
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am sure it is an unwritten agreement with the NCAA title game. Plus I am sure they would much rather all the sports press be about them. Like some of the other posters said this is just Sun/Mon/full slate Tues on Weds/Thur/full slate Fri.

No, before last year opening day was ALWAYS the same day as the basketball championship game. In fact, they usually had 7pm and 10pm games on at the same time as the basketball coverage. The change to mid-week start last year was because of the change to the post-season. But maybe someone also figured this would be win/win because they wouldn't have to share press with the NCAA on Monday.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #554
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am sure it is an unwritten agreement with the NCAA title game. Plus I am sure they would much rather all the sports press be about them. Like some of the other posters said this is just Sun/Mon/full slate Tues on Weds/Thur/full slate Fri.

Yeah, I seem to remember in the hazy recent past that you had some Monday openers and then a few Tuesday openers. Then they added the silly ESPN Sunday night game. And now we have just moved those three days up a few on the schedule so they don't have the Final Four stealing all the headlines. I don't quite get the Tuesday openers, tho- but I kindof get them now that they're on Friday.

Then again, how many teams have trouble drawing for Opening Day? If you're going to sell out one game a year, it's that one, even if it's a day game. Then again, the Astros haven't sold out yet which is why I'm going to be able to go tomorrow.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #555
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Well, I know when I (foolishly) shell out $200M, I want to make sure he looks good rather than some phoney baloney stats that demonstrate how he might actually be worth $200M to a team.

SI

That's modern baseball player speak for...........he needs to roid up.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #556
Ksyrup

The move of the start of the season was due solely (at least what we've been told) to the change in the post-season, to try to avoid cold weather and playing the last games of the WS in November. Last year appears to have been the same as this year - Wednesday night opener, a few games on Thursday, and most of the schedule on Friday. I don't recall ever hearing anything about not wanting to conflict with the basketball game.

MLB 2011 schedule starts earlier; Chicago Cubs to Fenway Park - ESPN
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-05-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #557
korme
Go Reds

'It is the oldest of our Rites of Spring - the hour when the world begins to turn around the red seams of a white ball that will dance the blues for every team, save one, come October. But it is April now, and after last year it is a day of optimism, one that says every team has a ray of hope to contend, to make a race of it - to the end'
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #558
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #559
spleen1015
Coordinator

David Oritz looks a little slimmer this year.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #560
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The move of the start of the season was due solely (at least what we've been told) to the change in the post-season, to try to avoid cold weather and playing the last games of the WS in November. Last year appears to have been the same as this year - Wednesday night opener, a few games on Thursday, and most of the schedule on Friday. I don't recall ever hearing anything about not wanting to conflict with the basketball game.

MLB 2011 schedule starts earlier; Chicago Cubs to Fenway Park - ESPN

I know they didn't come out and say it, but it makes sense. Sure, you don't want to look weak next to another sport but with the season already bleeding into November, it's pretty much an arbitrary date.

SI

Old 04-05-2012, 01:06 PM   #561
Ksyrup

Is anyone else having issues with ESPN's Gamecast? I can't get it to auto-refresh at all. And apparently they had one hell of a cold front blow through Detroit in the past hour because at the start of the game, it showed sunny and 55 degrees and now it shows sunny and 38 degrees.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #562
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

According to a friend of mine, he heard Walt on WLW say they will have BP's deal worked out "within a week."

By any chance any other Reds fans hear this?
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #563
Easy Mac

Braves hitters picking up where they left off last year. Although Diaz got a hit while I was typing, but he hits .500 off Santana.

How poorly do they think of Hayward that he hits behind Matt Diaz?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #564
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
According to a friend of mine, he heard Walt on WLW say they will have BP's deal worked out "within a week."

By any chance any other Reds fans hear this?

Yes, they're all over it on the Reds message boards.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #565
Ksyrup

Three games into the 6th inning and another into the 3rd, and not a single run has been scored today. I think it's time to bring back steroids.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #566
Ksyrup

Ha!

Joe Sheehan@joe_sheehan
There's nothing like the pageantry of MLS Opening Day.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #567
Ksyrup

Mets score! We have a run!
Old 04-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #568
Logan
Head Coach

This is what winning feels like!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #569
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Perfect, not one game into the season and the Mets starting center fielder leaves the game injured
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:32 PM   #570
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

wow, maybe one of the worst ghost outs at second base I have ever seen called
Old 04-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #571
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Perfect, not one game into the season and the Mets starting center fielder leaves the game injured

@KBurkhardtSNY: Torres has re-strained his left calf. Can't see how he doesnt miss at least 2 weeks
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #572
Ksyrup

Cleveland and Detroit going NUTS scoring runs right now.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #573
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pirates/Phillies had a pretty good pitching duel. Glad to see Bedard looking good, even if we can't do shit against Halladay.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:00 PM   #574
spleen1015
Coordinator

Valverde no blown saves last year, blows one today.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #575
Ksyrup

Valverde = Fernando Rodney with a personality

Two lucky MFers for an entire year. Hope Valverde doesn't crash and burn like Rodney did.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #576
spleen1015
Coordinator

I think it was pretty stupid to pull Verlander when he's pitched a 2 hitter through 8 innings.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #577
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I think it was pretty stupid to pull Verlander when he's pitched a 2 hitter through 8 innings.

Agreed.

Though Valverde being 49/49 last year made that decision a bit easier to make on Leyland's part, I guess

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #578
spleen1015
Coordinator

IT IS VERLANDER MAN!

Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #579
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I was following the Phillies/Pirates game on my phone before I had a series of meetings at work. I saw that the first two Pirates hitters got singles, and then they played their way out of the inning without scoring. OK, fine. What got me was checking my phone again after my meetings and seeing that those were the only two hits the Pirates got all day. Fabulous. I'm going to light myself on fire.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #580
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Wow, second day in a row that ESPN's announcing sounds have been really weird/tinny.

As for other Pirates fans out there, I'm hopeful about today's game. Sure, Halladay dominated us (but he does that to most people) but Bedard looked strong and I do like our lineup.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #581
Grover
Pro Starter

I will enjoy the Mets being 1-0 and above .500 for the next 24 hours when the feeling disappears for at least a calendar year.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #582
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

First place Mets!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:23 PM   #583
RedKingGold
College Starter

Nice to see the Phillies lineup hitting as well as they did at the end of last year.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #584
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Great opening day for the Reds.

Cueto looked great. Chapman was filthy. Taking a few mph's off has helped that control tremendously.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #585
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think I have heard of any of the players in the Padres starting lineup.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #586
Ksyrup

Cameron Maybin was a hotshot Detroit prospect included in the Miguel Cabrera trade with the Marlins. He was traded to the Padres a couple of years ago. His name should be fairly recognizable.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #587
Ksyrup

Hudson and Bartlett are old vets. Alonso is a big-time prospect they got from the Reds in the Latos trade.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #588
korme
Go Reds

Can Cueto get some ace love? Sutcliffe this morning was saying how Cueto hasn't proven he is worthy of #1 starter and Latos should have started. Dude, 24 start and a 2.31 ERA last year. Kid is the real deal.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:23 PM   #589
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Chase Headley should be recognizable as a name, just from the unusual nature of it. Nick Hundley, as son of former major leaguer. Orlando Hudson is a two-time all-star Edinson Volquez is a former all-star. Jason Bartlett is a former all-star.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:39 PM   #590
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Can Cueto get some ace love? Sutcliffe this morning was saying how Cueto hasn't proven he is worthy of #1 starter and Latos should have started. Dude, 24 start and a 2.31 ERA last year. Kid is the real deal.

He's got ace stuff but he has to do it for 200 innings. 24 starts is 3/4 of a season, not a full one.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #591
Ksyrup

Rajai Davis with a move that would embarrass a 10 year old - 1st and 2nd, no out, bunts a pop toward 3B and sits there and watches while the 3Bman can't catch it, so they turn the DP while Davis watches the whole thing until he realizes maybe he ought to run. Oy. I'd sit his ass on the bench tomorrow (it's the 15th inning so they probably can't bench him right now).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-05-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #592
MikeVic
Head Coach

Uhh did the CLE fans just chant U-S-A?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #593
Ksyrup

I thought I heard that earlier, too, and I didn't understand it. What's that mean? It was their guy who got thrown at.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #594
Ksyrup

16th inning now. Longest game by innings on opening day in MLB history.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #595
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I thought I heard that earlier, too, and I didn't understand it. What's that mean? It was their guy who got thrown at.

They showed a shot of the crowd that might explain it... Seems like a lot of CLE fans are gone, and one area had a few Jays fans. Maybe both sides were getting into the game and CLE fans were chanting at them or something.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #596
Ksyrup

So let me get this straight... Cleveland fans were chanting USA at Toronto fans after a guy from the Dominican Republic threw at the head of a guy from South Korea? OK...
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #597
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
So let me get this straight... Cleveland fans were chanting USA at Toronto fans after a guy from the Dominican Republic threw at the head of a guy from South Korea? OK...

Lol I know, I'm confused too.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #598
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:

I never thought I'd live to see the day where people are criticized for loving their country...

/last thread we had about USA chants

Last edited by mckerney : 04-05-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Dammit, it hid my sarcasm tags in <>
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #599
bhlloy
Coordinator

U guyz are nt real american this board complete opposite of yahoo sports wtf
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #600
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Agreed.

Though Valverde being 49/49 last year made that decision a bit easier to make on Leyland's part, I guess

Eh, I understood the logic. Verlander threw more pitches last year than anyone since 2002 and it was 43 degrees. If you can get 8 innings on 100 pitches out of your ace on a day like that, you take it and run usually.

Edit: Philly took Halladay out with a 1-0 lead and he had thrown 92 pitches.

Last edited by bronconick : 04-05-2012 at 09:09 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote