Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOF9, FOF8, and TCY Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-13-2017, 01:05 AM   #1
antdroid
n00b

[FOF8] 2017-18 NFL Rosters by Antdroid [v1.6 9/30/2017]

2017-18 NFL Roster
by Antdroid (A N T D R O I D) OS: Minotauri

updated: 9/30/2017

v1.6 - Updated Contracts Remaining (fixed anything that was wrong) and created new method to determine Long Snappers. Thanks Yabanci for suggestions!!!

v1.5 - Fixed draft information, fixed years with team, Adjusted salary cap, new algorithm for calculating rookie class, manually adjusted some potential ratings, updated Hall of Fame credentials
v1.4 - Updated Salary Cap and Some Salaries, Added in a lot more players - total 2500!
v1.3 - Corrected Player Birthdays and Hometowns
v1.2 - Fixed Tennessee/Houston rosters (swapped - Thanks LarryHud)
v1.1 - Updated Roster with correct colleges/universities
v1.0 - Initial Release

Features:
Start Year set for 2017
2017 NFL Roster accurate as of Week 1
2500 total players including free agents
Updated Player Contracts & Salaries
Updated Overall ratings based on Madden Ratings on a logarithmic curve using guidelines from FOF8, as well as my own rookie class algorithm
Updated QB style/scrambling frequency
Normalized Salary Cap for roster
Updated League Minimum Salary info
Updated Hall of Fame Credentials

Background/Description
I've been heavily involved with modding/roster conversions for PS2 and PSP with Madden and NCAA Football over the past couple years, and before that I made a few rosters for FOF7, and other text games. I just recently updated NCAA and Madden series games with 2017 rosters, and then decided to try to tackle how to convert my Madden Roster over to FOF8. I converted it over the other day to Pro Football Coach on android/iOS and NCAA rosters to DDS College Football, so why not try it on FOF8?

Here's my attempt. It's attached as well as the CSV source file. I'm still working on the Excel spreadsheet but will make it public when I feel it's ready.

Other than that, I only did the overall rating, so many attributes will follow the FOF method for generating player attributes. The overall rating was converted from Madden's 0-99 rating scale using a proper distribution as best possible to FOF's csv handbook method. I used basic statistics as well as histograms to determine how ratings fell into which bucket. Primarily, players rated 75 or below were 0's, and players 90 and above where the 5-9 ratings.

For QB's, I used the Madden QB tendency rating to correspond with FOF QB style, and for scrambling frequency, I made a weighted formula based on speed, agility, tendency, and awareness.

*New* For rookie class and some 2016 drafted players, I made a new calculation based on random probability based on their draft position as well as the Madden rating to give each player a unique (semi-random) overall/potential rating. I then went in a hand tweaked a few of the most notable names.

I updated Hall of Fame credentials as well. This was based on the player's current year rating * 25 points + 2016 roster HoF points if they player was rated a 3 or higher.

Please feel free to comment and post suggestions.
Attached Files
File Type: zip FOF8-NFL-2017-v1.5.zip (338.1 KB, 305 views)
File Type: zip FOF8-NFL-2017-v1.6.zip (207.5 KB, 584 views)

Last edited by antdroid : 09-30-2017 at 04:40 PM.
antdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #2
antdroid
n00b

I updated the NFL Roster tonight. I made a lookup table to convert Madden roster college info to FOF8 college info, so now players have correct Colleges listed.

Only inaccuracy now is Hometown and birth month/day. I have a fix method in mind using last year's roster for cross-referencing, but I'll implement it later.

Last edited by antdroid : 09-14-2017 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:06 AM   #3
freddylamar
n00b

Thank you!
freddylamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #4
larryhud
n00b

Good work, however you have Tennessee and Houston around the wrong way
larryhud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #5
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryhud View Post
Good work, however you have Tennessee and Houston around the wrong way

Thanks! I fixed it this morning and new file is posted along with source file.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #6
Teyeler
n00b

Just a quick question. When I edit the roster and then generate a player file, I keep getting an error message when I go to load up the new player file. It says "the player database has been corrupted or is from the wrong version of Front Office Football". Any idea why this is happening?
Teyeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #7
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyeler View Post
Just a quick question. When I edit the roster and then generate a player file, I keep getting an error message when I go to load up the new player file. It says "the player database has been corrupted or is from the wrong version of Front Office Football". Any idea why this is happening?

Not sure, unless you're truly using a FOF7 (for example) utility to create and playing in FOF8?
Old 09-14-2017, 08:52 PM   #8
Teyeler
n00b

No, I'm using the current version of fof8 and the spreadsheet you included in the zip file.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
Teyeler
n00b

I found the problem. I was, in fact, using FOF7 to generate the player file. I thought I deleted that and I also forgot I bought FOF8 on steam.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #10
antdroid
n00b

I updated Player Birthdays and Hometowns based on 2016 default roster!

Version 1.3 is posted on the original 1st post. This may be my final update for a while, unless any one spots bugs, since this roster is mostly complete.

Last edited by antdroid : 09-14-2017 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #11
mazetti
n00b

Nice. Thanks for sharing. Just loaded the file. Rosters are perfect and the ratings makes sense considering how FOF handles them.

Simulated only one season, but the stats and results looks reasonable (patriots won...)

The only thing i noticed that could be better are the salaries. Most teams have more than 50 million in cap space because most salaries (the bigger contracts i suspect) are different from sites likes spotrac, for example.

But great work!
mazetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazetti View Post
Nice. Thanks for sharing. Just loaded the file. Rosters are perfect and the ratings makes sense considering how FOF handles them.

Simulated only one season, but the stats and results looks reasonable (patriots won...)

The only thing i noticed that could be better are the salaries. Most teams have more than 50 million in cap space because most salaries (the bigger contracts i suspect) are different from sites likes spotrac, for example.

But great work!

I noticed that too and it was bugging me, so I went and looked at the salaries and adjusted a few, adjusted salary cap based on a what the game cap space was and what OverTheCap reports.

I think some of the salaries are still not completely accurate, but close. Also the way NFL does dead money and other things affects how much cap space there is, so I tried to compensate for it.

I also added in a ton more free agents, for a total of 2500 total NFL players. The source file attached has over 2900 players, but game limits to 2500 imported players.

New roster posted!

Last edited by antdroid : 09-14-2017 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Thank you!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #14
Teyeler
n00b

Rosters are great. Thanks for doing this.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:25 PM   #15
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

lots of positive feedback, looking forward to giving them a try. thanks.
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #16
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am generally not a "sim the NFL" guy but every time someone releases one of these big NFL roster sets, I am inspired to give it a whirl for a few seasons. Usually with massive reclamation project, frequently the Browns serve that purpose nicely. Maybe I'll do a "Keep it Like the Kizer" dynasty.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
antdroid
n00b

I just realized, I never finished the HOF points section. I'll work on a conversion for that today. It might be partially taking last year's numbers and then adding on some points based on rating and age.
Old 09-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #18
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Great work on the rosters, much appreciated.

However, I don't think converting Madden overall ratings to FOF overall ratings works when it comes to young players. The problem is Madden's overall rating is a current rating, whereas FOF's overall rating is a potential rating. If you do a straight conversion, a low current Madden rating will result in a low potential FOF rating.

For example, recently drafted QBs in the roster file cvs have the following potential FOF ratings:

* Mitch Trubisky future potential of 2 (good starter)

* Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz future potentials of 1 (decent backup)

* Pat Mahomes, DeShone Kizer, Jared Goff, and Paxton Lynch future potentials of 0 (roster filler).

I fired up a test league (no x-factor) to check and got the following initial ratings:

Trubisky - 14/34
Watson - 12/24
Mahomes - 12/37
Kizer - 15/33
Goff - 10/25
Wentz - 13/23
Lynch - 13/22

With FOF, you really have to give young players a projected future potential rating, such as giving some of them a 3 potential (very good starter) or 4 (very good plus starter) or higher and then let the x-factor sort it all out so they all don't end up great.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:35 PM   #19
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
Great work on the rosters, much appreciated.

However, I don't think converting Madden overall ratings to FOF overall ratings works when it comes to young players. The problem is Madden's overall rating is a current rating, whereas FOF's overall rating is a potential rating. If you do a straight conversion, a low current Madden rating will result in a low potential FOF rating.

For example, recently drafted QBs in the roster file cvs have the following potential FOF ratings:

* Mitch Trubisky future potential of 2 (good starter)

* Deshaun Watson and Carson Wentz future potentials of 1 (decent backup)

* Pat Mahomes, DeShone Kizer, Jared Goff, and Paxton Lynch future potentials of 0 (roster filler).

I fired up a test league (no x-factor) to check and got the following initial ratings:

Trubisky - 14/34
Watson - 12/24
Mahomes - 12/37
Kizer - 15/33
Goff - 10/25
Wentz - 13/23
Lynch - 13/22

With FOF, you really have to give young players a projected future potential rating, such as giving some of them a 3 potential (very good starter) or 4 (very good plus starter) or higher and then let the x-factor sort it all out so they all don't end up great.

I was about to release a new roster set with every other field missing completed (i.e. Hall of Fame points, Years with current team, drafted team, etc.) but thanks for this post. I'll take a look and see what I can do.

It's not super clear in the player tool readme file that its a potential rating.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:27 PM   #20
QuikSand
lolzcat

Heh...I actually started a career with the Browns and a pretty terrible Kizer. The other top CLE rookies are also pretty milquetoast as well. I'm going to see if I stay interested in a challenge career where I have to keep and feature/start all four of them.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #21
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Heh...I actually started a career with the Browns and a pretty terrible Kizer. The other top CLE rookies are also pretty milquetoast as well. I'm going to see if I stay interested in a challenge career where I have to keep and feature/start all four of them.

Good luck, even when I fix the rookies, the browns... are the browns.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:08 PM   #22
antdroid
n00b

v1.5 - Fixed draft information, fixed years with team, Adjusted salary cap, new algorithm for calculating rookie class, manually adjusted some potential ratings, updated Hall of Fame credentials

Thanks for the suggestions/comments from everyone and for your patience as I tweak/improve this roster.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:02 AM   #23
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

great work here.

I've never played Madden but it looks like they do a pretty good job rating players. I compared some player ratings to the pro football focus grades and they were mostly in sync. It's nice to see that players are not so overrated in this file. The positions look good.

One thing I noticed is that Madden must convert long snappers (pos 28) into centers (pos 9). It's fairly easy to fix since the long snappers usually weigh 250 or less, much too small to be a center. You could sort centers by weight, change the little guys positions from 9 to 28, and would probably get most if not all. The long snapper rating is column BW, I suppose you give them all a 1 rating, idk.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of the years on contract (column BY) don't match the actual contract (seems like you might have mentioned this). That's easy to fix if your sort column BZ and paste a 1 into all those who have 1 year on their contract. Same thing with column CB, past a 2 for all of them, and so on. It's important because if a guy has a 5-year contract and the column for contract years has a 1, the game will put him on a 1-year contract and ignore the remaining years.

Anyway, good luck.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:03 PM   #24
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci View Post
great work here.

I've never played Madden but it looks like they do a pretty good job rating players. I compared some player ratings to the pro football focus grades and they were mostly in sync. It's nice to see that players are not so overrated in this file. The positions look good.

One thing I noticed is that Madden must convert long snappers (pos 28) into centers (pos 9). It's fairly easy to fix since the long snappers usually weigh 250 or less, much too small to be a center. You could sort centers by weight, change the little guys positions from 9 to 28, and would probably get most if not all. The long snapper rating is column BW, I suppose you give them all a 1 rating, idk.

Another thing I noticed is a lot of the years on contract (column BY) don't match the actual contract (seems like you might have mentioned this). That's easy to fix if your sort column BZ and paste a 1 into all those who have 1 year on their contract. Same thing with column CB, past a 2 for all of them, and so on. It's important because if a guy has a 5-year contract and the column for contract years has a 1, the game will put him on a 1-year contract and ignore the remaining years.

Anyway, good luck.

Thanks for the comments/suggestions. I'll take a look at it this weekend. I'm also working on expanding upon an android college football GM game as well, which is taking up my free time.

The madden ratings are bloated actually, so I normalized them in excel using histograms and statistics to get a log curve of the ratings to match how FOF prefers it to be.

In Madden/NCAA football games, there is no long snapper. The user or the computer just picks the guy with the best snapping ability to be the long snapper.
Old 09-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #25
antdroid
n00b

v1.6 - Updated Contracts Remaining (fixed anything that was wrong) and created new method to determine Long Snappers.

Thanks Yabanci for suggestions!!!
Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #26
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdroid View Post
Good luck, even when I fix the rookies, the browns... are the browns.

We're making the best of it. Thanks for the files, it has been fun.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #27
AgustusM
College Prospect

thank you so much for these rosters. made me start a new career
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:27 AM   #28
jzicc
H.S. Freshman Team

Just wondering how these compare to the 8.1 in game rosters -- Thanks for your work on these.
jzicc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #29
ezlee2
n00b

What is your most recent version of FOF7?
ezlee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:20 PM   #30
jwalker7
n00b

Hey these kick ass and thank you very much, I do have one question, on the spreadsheet what columns are the contract value and years?
jwalker7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:43 PM   #31
mizzou24
n00b

it wont let me download it
mizzou24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #32
john_connerson
n00b

I also can't download these. Are these ratings different from the in-game ones?
john_connerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 11:33 AM   #33
Stanley92
n00b

Anyone still got these files and willing to upload them ?
Appreciate it.
Stanley92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:24 PM   #34
QuikSand
lolzcat

Just a moment...

This looks, from the filename, like it was the 1.4 version of the files posted in this thread. Best I can do, hope it's useful, though likely not ideal.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:57 PM   #35
Stanley92
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Just a moment...

This looks, from the filename, like it was the 1.4 version of the files posted in this thread. Best I can do, hope it's useful, though likely not ideal.

You haven't got some csv-file on this fdt-file. Working on Draft files and stuff and need those csv-files.
Old 02-05-2022, 02:19 PM   #36
QuikSand
lolzcat

Sorry, that's all I could find.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:26 PM   #37
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley92 View Post
Anyone still got these files and willing to upload them ?
Appreciate it.

Sorry for the late response. I dont check this forum as much anymore since I havent played in over a year.

Here's the 2017 roster file:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bvm...ew?usp=sharing

I was unable to upload for some reason to the forum, so I have to link it to drive. Just press the download button on the top right of the linked page to download the CSV file.

I may try to make a new converted Madden roster for this game sometime soon, but it'd probably be only as up-to-date as this past season.

Last edited by antdroid : 03-15-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 11:32 AM   #38
Stanley92
n00b

Great, big thanks.
But looking at that file I got a question before I try it out (trying it might give me the answer)
You got almost 3000 players in it, and looking in the exe-file that transform this csv-file into a proper gamefile the max say 2500 ?
Do you really get all of those players into the game when you start it up. ??

I am working on a history save with start in 2002 and surely would love to see more than 2500 I got in that file, which might stop "invading" fictional names.
They don't play a vital role for sure but would like to diminish them even further. From that 2002 start I intend to move forward using the draftfiles I found that got some 8-900 players in each.
Old 03-16-2022, 02:35 PM   #39
antdroid
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley92 View Post
Great, big thanks.
But looking at that file I got a question before I try it out (trying it might give me the answer)
You got almost 3000 players in it, and looking in the exe-file that transform this csv-file into a proper gamefile the max say 2500 ?
Do you really get all of those players into the game when you start it up. ??

I am working on a history save with start in 2002 and surely would love to see more than 2500 I got in that file, which might stop "invading" fictional names.
They don't play a vital role for sure but would like to diminish them even further. From that 2002 start I intend to move forward using the draftfiles I found that got some 8-900 players in each.

I believe it just takes the first 2500 players in the database unfortunately.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:00 AM   #40
Stanley92
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdroid View Post
I believe it just takes the first 2500 players in the database unfortunately.

That was my conclusion too, so never really tested it out. Shame really, since the game produces a shitload of fictionals when it start up.
All these years I kind of wished it went along OOTPs lines when playing historical settings.