Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #19851
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Where I work, people like to throw lots of titles into their email signatures and we've been seeing a lot more email lately (everyone loves to over-communicate when working from home). So I've considered throwing random alphabet soup in my signature and seeing if anyone notices. Maybe a different set each week like "BLT" or "PDQ" or "YYZ".

SI

Sterling Ice, OPP, BMOC, BYOB, IDGAF.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #19852
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Where I work, people like to throw lots of titles into their email signatures and we've been seeing a lot more email lately (everyone loves to over-communicate when working from home). So I've considered throwing random alphabet soup in my signature and seeing if anyone notices. Maybe a different set each week like "BLT" or "PDQ" or "YYZ".

SI

I work in IT and the number of people that list all of their certs in their signature block is absurd. No one cares. No one checks your signature block to confirm your qualifications. No one is impressed by your signature block. I don't get it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:58 AM   #19853
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
OK, I need to get this off my chest about this Let's Hear It For the Boy lyric...

He's my lovin' one-man show

Shouldn't that be:

He's my one-man lovin' show

The original lyric doesn't make sense - it emphasizes the wrong thing (a one-man show - we already know she's talking about one guy from the title). And really, a "lovin' one-man show" suggests he's lovin' himself, if you read it literally. The more important thing is the "lovin'" part - he's putting on a lovin' show and is all she needs.

I hadn't heard that song in at least 30 years until the other day and now this one lyric is driving me crazy.

Carry on.

It flows better the incorrect way.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:14 PM   #19854
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Speaking of lyrics, a classic from Dr. Dre's the Chronic slipped on my playlist the other day and I was especially unimpressed by:

"Never let me slip, 'cause if I slip, then I'm slippin'"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-15-2020 at 12:15 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:02 PM   #19855
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Sterling Ice, OPP, BMOC, BYOB, IDGAF.

Definitely true, much of the time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #19856
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
It flows better the incorrect way.

For me, it's close but I can see it. I've just got too much of a lawyer's mind - although I recognize artistic freedom, certain grammatical stuff just bugs the crap out of me. There's a Metallica song off of Death Magnetic with the line that is repeated over and over, "What don't kill you make you more strong" and I want to wring Hetfield's neck for writing it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #19857
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"What don't kill you make you more strong" and I want to wring Hetfield's neck for writing it.

I'm pretty sure that was intentional though, to fit with a sort of "basic instinct" sort of tone.

Look at the use of the line you mention in various parts of the chorus

Rise, fall, down, rise again
What don't kill you make you more strong
Rise, fall, down, rise again

and
Dawn, death, fight, final breath
Dawn, death, fight, final breath

Meanwhile the verses are written in sentences, with only the responding gang vocal lines limited to short phrases.

It can still be an annoyance for you of course, but the use of the device seems pretty legit as implemented.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-15-2020 at 01:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #19858
Ksyrup

It fits the rhythm of the verse, so I understand the use of it. But yeah, it bothers the hell out of me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #19859
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not sure the best thread for this, I'll just start with it here.

A discovery that might improve the Facebook user experience in the months ahead: Politics has now been added to the list of topics (along with alcohol, parenting, and pets) that you can elect to "See Fewer" ads about.

The downside is that the opt-in limitation used to be something along the lines of "do not see for six months" and has been reduced to simply "see fewer" but that might very well be THE most requested ad topic reduction in history.

I nearly broke my keyboard I hit that button so hard and so fast.
Old 07-18-2020, 07:33 PM   #19860
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I actually find an almost perverse sense of amusement in pointing out that it's the (D) that have led the way in protecting cash transactions, considering the current rage amongst conservatives is to rail against cash-free society.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #19861
PilotMan
Head Coach

Wait... what? No fucking way Jon.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 08:24 PM   #19862
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Wait... what? No fucking way Jon.

When I see "cashless is a (D) conspiracy"... and get to point out that state/local governments that have passed laws to protect retail cash transactiosn include Mass, NJ, San Francisco, Berkeley, and NYC ...

It's like I told my kid earlier:

I hate stupidity.

I hate stupidity that's coming from my side even more.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:56 AM   #19863
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I actually find an almost perverse sense of amusement in pointing out that it's the (D) that have led the way in protecting cash transactions, considering the current rage amongst conservatives is to rail against cash-free society.

It's almost as if both sides are so busy foaming at the mouth, enraged at the mere thought of having political adversaries, that they fail to realize common viewpoints...
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:45 PM   #19864
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
It's almost as if both sides are so busy foaming at the mouth, enraged at the mere thought of having political adversaries, that they fail to realize common viewpoints...

Well, it's so rare, you kinda have a tough time believing your eyes when it happens so I kinda get it.

But in this instance, honestly, it's not even that. It's just plain old ignorance -- "lack of knowledge or information" -- on the part of those doing the raging.

Their mouth (or keyboards) get ahead of their brains, and that's where I come in
Old 07-19-2020, 02:23 PM   #19865
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I'll bite. What's the "cashless is a democrat conspiracy"?

SI

Old 07-19-2020, 02:40 PM   #19866
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. What's the "cashless is a democrat conspiracy"?SI

Took me a few minutes to find one of the core c&p that has plagued my social media for the past week or so. I've probably seen this, or one of a couple of variations, at least 40 times now. I'll hide it in a spoiler tag because it's so long.

But invariably, either as a caption for this c&p or within the first 3-5 comments, someone always mentions how it's a liberal/dem conspiracy, often with a New World Order comment (and I don't mean the Hulk and Bischoff variety). And THAT is where my teeth start to grind.

If it's a leftist conspiracy, somebody owed Berekely a courtesy memo at least.

Spoiler
Old 07-19-2020, 02:59 PM   #19867
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Like, the "does guarantee" part is scary. There are some real downsides there, if true. That seem worth going down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole for.

But look at what they try to sell it with up front. It's not "debtors prison" or "the ability for the government to take away your access to any resources for whatever reason" It's stupid stuff like "grandma's birthday card", "piggy banks", and "garage sales". C'mon, keep your eye on the ball. If the worst your dystopia has to offer is "can't do odd jobs to make ends meet with tax-free cash under the table", I want in.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-19-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:31 PM   #19868
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
"can't do odd jobs to make ends meet with tax-free cash under the table", I want in.

Eh, that's easy enough to say ... until you're the one that can make the ends meet. Not trying to ding ya that hard about it honestly, I'm literally jus sayin.

As for the issue itself, I get why a strict non-interventionist / free marketer would oppose the requirement. But at the same time, I'm not naive enough to believe for a second that's the primary basis for the lack of a GOP groundswell to be at the front of the movement to protect cash transactions either.
Old 07-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #19869
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's like the chain email has never heard of Venmo or Cash App (or Square).
Old 07-19-2020, 03:42 PM   #19870
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eh, that's easy enough to say ... until you're the one that can make the ends meet. Not trying to ding ya that hard about it honestly, I'm literally jus sayin.

As for the issue itself, I get why a strict non-interventionist / free marketer would oppose the requirement. But at the same time, I'm not naive enough to believe for a second that's the primary basis for the lack of a GOP groundswell to be at the front of the movement to protect cash transactions either.

I'm not saying it's good. I'm saying if that's the worst thing your dystopia has, that's not awful.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-19-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:05 PM   #19871
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It's like the chain email has never heard of Venmo or Cash App (or Square).

Eh, those wouldn't fit though, as they're digital. And, honestly, I'd say around 2/3rds of those posting the meme have never heard of any of those things.

If I didn't have a college student, I wouldn't know what Venmo was either.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:44 PM   #19872
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Sometimes quitting my job and not working for a year looks awfully tempting
Old 07-19-2020, 08:46 PM   #19873
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Eh, those wouldn't fit though, as they're digital. And, honestly, I'd say around 2/3rds of those posting the meme have never heard of any of those things.

If I didn't have a college student, I wouldn't know what Venmo was either.

Of course they are digital, but they are a very easy way to pay for odd jobs or whatnot.

Unless the entire goal of the list is that you can't hide money as opposed to unable to make money through odd jobs or birthday gifts.
Old 07-19-2020, 09:32 PM   #19874
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course they are digital, but they are a very easy way to pay for odd jobs or whatnot.

Unless the entire goal of the list is that you can't hide money as opposed to unable to make money through odd jobs or birthday gifts.

You're underestimating the number of people who don't trust digital transactions.

I know people who have gold squirreled away for cryin' out loud.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:13 PM   #19875
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As a public defender, I see the cash/no cash thing a lot. My clients mostly operate on a cash basis. Some of that from illegitimate work (which is why they are in criminal court), but also from their legitimate work. When you are on the fringes, you do things like detail cars for cash, or cut lawns for cash, or buy and sell cars for cash. Maybe 5% of them have bank accounts. It is all cash, and it is all kept in shoeboxes and the like.

One of the things we have to fight is the propensity of the government to "convert" all of the client's cash into "drug proceeds."

"We caught him with some crack and $7,000, so we are going to assume that that $7,000 was all crack derived and consider that as part of his drug weight"

And then we have to show how our client actually had a pretty successful pressure washing business going, so you can't assume that all of that $7,000 was drug money.

But for the middle and upper class lawyers and judges who deal with this stuff, having that amount of cash around just seems so weird. It seems like you must be doing something wrong if you have more than $500 or so and you don't go put it in the bank.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:28 PM   #19876
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
But for the middle and upper class lawyers and judges who deal with this stuff, having that amount of cash around just seems so weird. It seems like you must be doing something wrong if you have more than $500 or so and you don't go put it in the bank.

It's funny Ive fought this personally.
I have managed to be fairly successfully and have an upper middle class existence, but we never over come our origins. I like having cash on hand. It provides a sense of comfort or safety. Its inexplicable. In reality Ill never need to run for the border and start a new life, but yet Im always prepared for it.

Add on to that the amount I travel for work and my penchant for old automobiles...its a near weekly thing I will stop and knock on a strangers door and ask if that vehicles under the tree is able to be bought. Many times I have an unusual amount of cash in my vehicle.

Two times in my life I have found my vehicle searched and had to explain why I had $XX,XXX or $XXXX dollars on me. The answer "because I like to" isn't acceptable to law enforcement. The second time I found that showing them my bank account balance on my phone disarmed the situation...but I have wondered how those same situations would have gone if I was a minority or had even a token amount of marijuana on me...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:23 PM   #19877
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. As soon as I read albion’s post I thought “Oh, I bet CU Tiger has experience with this.”
Old 07-20-2020, 05:00 PM   #19878
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Want to feel really old?

Realize that you can remember the first car you ever rode in that had air conditioning.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:27 PM   #19879
Ksyrup

I know Long John Silvers is 30 years past its prime, but nothing says "we still don't innovate" like hearing Jimmy John's Freak Yeah slogan and going with Fish Yeah.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:17 PM   #19880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My long johns has some sort of elevator trap door food delivery system at the drive thru. Best social distancing drive thru. Put your money in the cup.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:35 PM   #19881
Ksyrup

Ours caught fire last year and they didn't reopen. It's about to become a Mexican restaurant - right next to another Mexican restaurant.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:16 PM   #19882
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My long johns has some sort of elevator trap door food delivery system at the drive thru. Best social distancing drive thru. Put your money in the cup.
It took me a second to realize that you weren't talking about this:
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM   #19883
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ours caught fire last year and they didn't reopen. It's about to become a Mexican restaurant - right next to another Mexican restaurant.

In the next town over where the nearest fast food restaurants are, there are 3 (well now 2 one seems to have closed down under COVID) but they are in the old buildings of a Hardeez, McDonalds and a Burger King...which each built new buildings and moved 3 miles away to the "new" part of town.

They all have very non distinct names, El Rodeo, El Amigo, Tres Amigo...so my kids call them El Hardeez, El MickeyDs, El Taco king...
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #19884
PilotMan
Head Coach

On Harry Potter.

As huge as it was, the window of love for it is rather small. My oldest (now 25) and I read all the books together, and watched all the movies together. He still loves it and the world, and we'll watch the "Fantastic" movies too.

His younger brothers, 18 and 16, have zero interest in it at all, and say it's 'old' for their generation. We tried getting them into it when they were smaller, but they just didn't care.

Like Steam?

Old 07-21-2020, 10:08 AM   #19885
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The window may not go down in age, but it definite reaches higher. I'm 40 and most people I know really enjoyed Harry Potter and did the whole which house are you in stuff (Ravenclaw for me, FWIW).

Though the main issue for those in my age bracket (and higher) is that Fantastic Beasts is kind of diluting stuff. It's meh quality movies.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:11 PM   #19886
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hey for real can we get Ye some help before he ends up dead
Old 07-22-2020, 03:14 PM   #19887
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hey for real can we get Ye some help before he ends up dead

What for? His twitter rants?

He's just acting like a proper presidential candidate.
Old 07-23-2020, 06:01 PM   #19888
Edward64
Head Coach

Cleaned out the closet some and found an iPad 1 and iPad 3. Reinstalled the latest iOS for both (that's allowed). iPad 1 is essentially non-functional for browsing the web and iPad 3 is very, very slow.

I checked Best Buy, Target, Amazon, Dell, Apple and BB had best trade in for iPad 3 for $30 credit (others were like $10). I'm going to keep the iPad 1 and one day frame it for display (and boast that I was an early adopter!).

I also upgraded an old Thinkpad 430S, bumped RAM memory from 4GB to 8GB and put in a SSD. Battery was in pretty bad shape, like 30-40 min with full charge. Pretty functional for browsing I was going to sell it on eBay but gave it to daughter's friend.

I have another old Thinkpad, X200 with 4GB RAM and 250GB mechanical HD. I cleaned it up, installed Windows 10, it's pretty slow. Not planning to upgrade the RAM or HD though because its got constant fan noise and I won't plan to use it. But am going to keep it as it's a classic with the old Thinkpad keyboard. I've read its one of the preferred laptops for "libreboot" but I'm not into that.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-23-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #19889
PilotMan
Head Coach

Made it to the front page of reddit this week. I can now die knowing I had a fulfilled life.

Like Steam?

Old 07-25-2020, 09:47 PM   #19890
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Amish people can be complete assholes
Old 07-25-2020, 09:49 PM   #19891
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well that was indeed random
Old 07-26-2020, 02:16 AM   #19892
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He’s right. Complete assholes.
Old 07-27-2020, 10:53 AM   #19893
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Why I always lose money on PredictIt:

1.) I tell myself "Tammy Baldwin is at 5c. She's going to get some run. I should buy some shares and sell when it bumps up."

2.) I buy some shares at 5c.

3.) She gets some run, and her price goes up to 15c.

4.) I tell myself "You know, she might actually have a shot. I'd feel really stupid selling at 15 if she ends up winning. I'd better hold for a bit."

5.) She's now back down to 6c.

6.) Rinse/Repeat.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:33 AM   #19894
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Is it right to deny a job application because the guy claims to have 10+ years of IT experience and still uses an AOL email account?
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 AM   #19895
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Is it right to deny a job application because the guy claims to have 10+ years of IT experience and still uses an AOL email account?

Probably not, but it's one of the first questions that should casually come up during the job interview. And if he gives some sappy story about how it's so his grandmother doesn't forget his address, it's all good. But... I'm trying to figure out what another good excuse would be.

SI

Old 07-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #19896
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Seriously? I understand some things, but I know some very successful small business owners that still use it. I understand IT is a bit different, but this is a petty reason to otherwise disqualify a candidate. If you want to make it a talking point go for it.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:58 AM   #19897
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Probably not, but it's one of the first questions that should casually come up during the job interview. And if he gives some sappy story about how it's so his grandmother doesn't forget his address, it's all good. But... I'm trying to figure out what another good excuse would be.

SI

There is no good excuse other than not caring about the perception or (more likely) not understanding the perception. For an IT guy, it gives the perception of outdated. I'd toss @yahoo.com in the same category.

Even with grandmother, how hard is it to create a @gmail.com or @outlook.com to put on a CV/resume.

I wouldn't deny but it would be a strike.

Last edited by Edward64 : 07-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 09:59 AM   #19898
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm sure he's being half kidding there and doesn't intend to deny it outright for that.

(but also.. wtf guy)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-29-2020 at 09:59 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #19899
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sure he's being half kidding there and doesn't intend to deny it outright for that.

(but also.. wtf guy)

The question was asked tongue-in-cheek as no self-respecting IT guy would have an AOL email

Also I'm not the hiring guy but the guy did call about a job and I asked him to send me his résumé.

I am thinking of not forwarding it to the hiring manager just because of the grammar. For example this was one of his work experiences:

Quote:
Logistics
Lowes - --city redacted--
2007 to 2010
Responsibilities
Helped run logistics it had 25 people . I have 5 years of logistic experience knowledge of all microsoft programs lrt guns I loaded and unloaded trucks every day

Maybe all résumés are like that, I don't know. But it would be a "pass" for me.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:18 AM   #19900
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Does Lowes stock guns?