Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-29-2020, 04:25 PM   #51
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Good friend of mine (who passed away in January) grew up in Buffalo, NY and lived just south of Columbia, SC when we met. I asked him once how he found the small town he lived in when he moved from Buffalo and over the years I heard him tell the story several times. I can promise its original to him (sounds like a great stand up comic line) but hes the first I heard it from.

Said after 24 years of Buffalo winters he loaded everything he could fit into his 1975 Chevy blazer said it was late spring time but he hooked up his snow plow anyway. Said his old blazer needed gas every 2 hours or so. Said he would always make it a point to point out his blazer to the cashier. Said somewhere around Greensboro, NC someone asked "what the heck is that thing on the front of your truck" said he drive 2 more hours to be safe and started looking for a house.

Funny story! Whenever I hear somebody talk about loving the change of seasons, I want to puke. Just give me the seasons I like. Exclude winter.

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #52
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Just give me the seasons I like. Exclude winter.

This. FML, THIS.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #53
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I am heavily considering working towards a full time RV life.

Congrats.

Throughout the thread I've been, let's go with bemused, by the vast array of answers and how many of them sounded like pure living hell on Earth to me (and, surely, mine to someone else)

But I think you may have managed to hit a peak for my "oh fuck no" reactions.

Okay, maybe still rates above Berkeley or the Pac NW but it's a serious contender.

(It's all good, in case that isn't obvious. I'm just trying to find any ol' source of humor today and this fit)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:51 PM   #54
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Congrats.

Throughout the thread I've been, let's go with bemused, by the vast array of answers and how many of them sounded like pure living hell on Earth to me (and, surely, mine to someone else)

But I think you may have managed to hit a peak for my "oh fuck no" reactions.

Okay, maybe still rates above Berkeley or the Pac NW but it's a serious contender.

(It's all good, in case that isn't obvious. I'm just trying to find any ol' source of humor today and this fit)

Yea, it wouldn't be for everyone, that's for sure. I love to do road trips. I don't mind a little minimalism. It's cheaper than a house. And I can stay for long stretches if I like, or move with the seasons or whatever I want to do.

Truth be told, rhe ideal plan would be a condo or a small house somewhere warm, probably Vegas or Phoenix, and the RV. The condo would be the long term spot where I end up as moving around becomes more difficult, and someplace to store things I can't take with me.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 07-29-2020 at 04:52 PM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:04 PM   #55
AlexB
Pro Starter

I looked at an RV as an option for a short time, and have spent 9 months travelling round Australia living for at least half of that in a camper van, but It was the inconvenience of it that ended up putting me off.

Most of the sites In the UK aren’t actually within walkable distance of the towns they’re listed as being in, so I saw them as being handy for getting near places, but in reality I’d need a car as well.

And when I added everything together (fuel, maintenance, pitches, etc) to the poor locations, i figured if I travelled around the UK, driving and staying in B&Bs or medium term rentals in better locations were better options.
AlexB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #56
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yea the UK wouldn't seem to be ideal for it. There is a lot more BLM and national forest land in the U.S., places you can pull over and camp for free. Set it up right, you don't even need to go to an RV park to dump nore than every other day or two. I would probably get a Class B. Size just a little bigger than a camper van and can be parked in regular car spots, but also has all the amenities of an RV.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 06:33 PM   #57
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I love winter. I hate summer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 07:06 PM   #58
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Good friend of mine (who passed away in January) grew up in Buffalo, NY and lived just south of Columbia, SC when we met. I asked him once how he found the small town he lived in when he moved from Buffalo and over the years I heard him tell the story several times. I can promise its original to him (sounds like a great stand up comic line) but hes the first I heard it from.

Said after 24 years of Buffalo winters he loaded everything he could fit into his 1975 Chevy blazer said it was late spring time but he hooked up his snow plow anyway. Said his old blazer needed gas every 2 hours or so. Said he would always make it a point to point out his blazer to the cashier. Said somewhere around Greensboro, NC someone asked "what the heck is that thing on the front of your truck" said he drive 2 more hours to be safe and started looking for a house.

Great story.

Echoing everyone else: I'll take all but a couple of weeks of winter and be happy. It'd be fun to get one or two little snows that melt by the afternoon and that's it. I HATE SCRAPING WINDSHIELDS. I HAVE DONE THAT ENOUGH TO LAST ME A LIFETIME.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 PM   #59
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Most of my relatives live in Michigan and they still give me crap about Portland's rainy weather, saying "I don't know how you can live there" and I'm thinking "you morons spend three months of every year shoveling snow out of your driveway, summers are a hell of humidity and mosquitos, but you've convinced yourself Portland's weather is bad??"
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-29-2020 at 08:40 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:29 AM   #60
Hammer
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallifrey View Post
After having traveled almost everywhere in the USA and many places overseas my wife and I would choose one of many small towns in Denmark, Sweden or Norway. I personally love Heidelberg, Germany for anywhere in the world too.

What are those small towns like? What is the attraction?
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:52 AM   #61
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m really going to need a lot of people to declare where they’re going first, before I make a decision.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:01 AM   #62
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

A Yellow Submarine
Old 07-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #63
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I would move to the Big Island, no question. My income level there I would be in a decent home, close to the beach and I could fish almost non stop (I do that now, just in the mountain lakes and rivers)

Last edited by MacroGuru : 07-30-2020 at 11:48 AM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:51 PM   #64
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hate summer.

times one billion.

Winter is ok. I like it, but I really just want fall all the time.
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #65
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I hate summer.

High of 105-106 today and tomorrow in Boise. Yesterday I just felt like my body and soul was breaking down.

I may wake up before dawn tomorrow to get up to the Sawtooth Valley where I can walk my dog around a lake where it will be in the low 40s. Just a couple hours away. Not coincidentally, this is where I'd live if I could live anywhere. Just a bit too far of a commute if I'm working in the office at all.

Last edited by molson : 07-30-2020 at 12:56 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:59 PM   #66
Galaril
Pro Starter

Ireland, or Iceland
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #67
Drake
assmaster

I'd live at my mom and dad's house, wherever that happens to be.

Not like, "I wanna live in their basement and stop facing the world"...but as I get older and my parents get older, I just miss being around them more.

Maybe that's sappy. But I've been forging my own way for like 30 years now, and sometimes I regret that meant putting distance between my folks and myself because I thought I needed the room to breathe.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #68
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
times one billion.

Winter is ok. I like it, but I really just want fall all the time.

Very much. I'll take 0 over 100 but fall is my happy time.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #69
RendeR
Coordinator

If it weren't for my family, you could give me quality internet and I'd live 200 feet underground and never miss the sun.

Fuck the heat of summer, fuck the wet of spring, fuck the people Fuck the cities

just fuck it all.

alone, in a hole.

heaven.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 PM   #70
cuervo72
Head Coach

I've seriously wondered why there aren't more underground houses. I mean, I love my basement. Why can't my whole house be a basement? Like nearly the entire footprint of my lot, just completely underground. Maybe a garage for cars and tools, but the rest of the above ground, just lawn, play area, or a big garden. No house, all underground. No roof to worry about, or windows, or siding. Or maybe I get wild and have a screened-in gazebo if I really feel like I have to be outside. (Though in this all-90+ July, that's been about never.)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:58 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've seriously wondered why there aren't more underground houses. I mean, I love my basement. Why can't my whole house be a basement? Like nearly the entire footprint of my lot, just completely underground. Maybe a garage for cars and tools, but the rest of the above ground, just lawn, play area, or a big garden. No house, all underground. No roof to worry about, or windows, or siding. Or maybe I get wild and have a screened-in gazebo if I really feel like I have to be outside. (Though in this all-90+ July, that's been about never.)

In Houston, you'd be at the water table and/or eaten alive by fire ants. However, not every city is built on a swamp and filled with invasive awful insects.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:30 AM   #72
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

There in a hole in the ground lived a hobbit...
Old 07-31-2020, 07:39 AM   #73
spleen1015
Coordinator

When I was younger, I was in love with winter and snow. As I've gotten older, I completely flipped. I hate winter and snow. I want sunshine and high temps every day. I have no idea why my feelings changed.

I used to hate being out in the summer, in the heat. I hated sweating for no reason.

Now, I don't even notice sweat when it is hot and I love the weather, being outside. I think it is all of the summers watching softball.

That's why I will be moving to a warm climate in a few years.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #74
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I've seriously wondered why there aren't more underground houses.

Logistics would be a lot of that, as SI mentioned. Oxygen / ventilation is among the issues.

Why don't we live underground? | HowStuffWorks
Old 07-31-2020, 04:18 PM   #75
cuervo72
Head Coach

I guess "earth-sheltered" is really more what I'm going for. Not like deep after-the-bomb-went-off Dr. Strangelove bunker, just something that's like 90-95% underground. Like my Minecraft homes! Or the Teletubbies.

I do understand places like Houston, or Florida. But basements have worked just fine in PA and MD. Working from home I'm in it half the time anyway (which is nice in the summer because it is much, much cooler). But...I'd come out. It's not like I'd become a total mole person.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:42 PM   #76
stevew
Hall Of Famer

One of my friends from high school has a house that’s built into the side of a hill. I imagine it’s quite dark
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #77
FBPro
College Starter

Hilton Head Island, SC
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote