Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #351
ERoy
n00b

The movie was pretty good.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM   #352
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I signed up for the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, which seems to be a terrific deal. I've been reading Invincible Iron Man and have made it through the first three story arcs, all of which are pretty compelling. Anyone have any recommendations for some really good arcs for other characters? I'd be especially interested in a good arc or jumping on point for Hulk.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-16-2012 at 04:37 AM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #353
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Thor #337-355, #357-369, #371-382; Balder the Brave #1-4. The first run of Astonishing X-Men which is done by Whedon. J. Michael Straczynski when he does Spiderman.

Last edited by Matthean : 05-16-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #354
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I signed up for the Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited, which seems to be a terrific deal. I've been reading Invincible Iron Man and have made it through the first three story arcs, all of which are pretty compelling. Anyone have any recommendations for some really good arcs for other characters? I'd be especially interested in a good arc or jumping on point for Hulk.

I was excited to hear that the digital comics web site purchaes were merging with the iPad app. But it seems you still can't access the Unlimited subscription from the iPad app. Pretty stupid. They would have had my money a while ago if that was worked out, whereas they're getting nothing from me now.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:02 PM   #355
samifan24
Pro Starter

Currently I'm reading:

- Batman
- Fatale
- Thief of Thieves (Robert Kirkman's new one)
- Mind the Gap
- Aquaman
- Flash
- Justice League
- Nightwing
- Avengers vs. X-men

I'm going to have to pare that list down soon and I think Justice League will the first to go. The first two I absolutely love, though.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #356
oykib
College Starter

I'm currently blowing ungodly amounts of money on these things:

Batman
Nightwing
Batwing
Batman and Robin
Batgirl (gone as soon as Night of the Owls ends)
Animal Man
Swamp Thing
Aquaman
The Flash
Justice League
Justice League International
Blue Beetle
Action Comics
Superman
Superboy (on the brink of getting dropped)
Supergirl
Green Lantern

Fantastic Four
FF
Daredevil
Ultimate Spider-Man
X-Factor

The Unwritten

Saga
Invincible
Prophet

Last edited by oykib : 05-17-2012 at 07:14 PM. Reason: I almost created a new QOTW (of money)
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:03 PM   #357
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

For fans of J. Michael Straczynski, he has a fairly new comic out called Sidekick. It is only three issues in so it will be easy to get into. It's early enough to where I'm still trying to better feel for it, but I like it enough as is.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #358
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I was excited to hear that the digital comics web site purchaes were merging with the iPad app. But it seems you still can't access the Unlimited subscription from the iPad app. Pretty stupid. They would have had my money a while ago if that was worked out, whereas they're getting nothing from me now.

oh I should point out for those that missed it, that the Marvel Unlimited Digital Subscription now works on the iPad. Pretty good deal if you read a lot of comics but aren't super picky or don't need to have them day of.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #359
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
For fans of J. Michael Straczynski, he has a fairly new comic out called Sidekick. It is only three issues in so it will be easy to get into. It's early enough to where I'm still trying to better feel for it, but I like it enough as is.

Stumbled upon this thread while looking for something else, and saw this. It's been awhile since issue #4 (Nov?), but I've really enjoyed Sidekick so far. It reminds me a little of Ennis' The Boys as far as tone goes, but a bit more restrained (thankfully). According to Straczyski's comments at the back of the issue, we're in for a big change in the story, so I'm interested to see where he takes things from here.

I'm a bit bummed that two of my favourite comics are coming to an end over the next month or so - Prophet and Animal Man.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:40 PM   #360
path12
Coordinator

Yes, I'm hopelessly behind on my pop culture but just had to say that I am on the ninth Sandman book right now and holy shit, how did it take me almost 20 years to read these? Just fantastic.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:57 PM   #361
Groundhog
Coordinator

I just read volume 1 a few weeks ago. I'd also always meant to read it, but never got around to it until a Christmas sale on TPBs at my local comic book store. Completely agree - even with high expectations, I loved it.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:01 PM   #362
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Yes, I'm hopelessly behind on my pop culture but just had to say that I am on the ninth Sandman book right now and holy shit, how did it take me almost 20 years to read these? Just fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I just read volume 1 a few weeks ago. I'd also always meant to read it, but never got around to it until a Christmas sale on TPBs at my local comic book store. Completely agree - even with high expectations, I loved it.

I read Sandman a few years ago now, but I was much the same. I always knew about it. Heard it was great, but for some reason kept passing it up for other series. When I finally did get around to it, I was absolutely blown away. It deserves all the accolades. It's brilliant.

The one issue in the diner in the first TPB is easily the most chilling comic book I've ever read.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:40 AM   #363
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Farewell, Archie: Beloved comic book character to die - CNN.com
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 AM   #364
law90026
College Benchwarmer

I actually don't know how big a deal this is. From what I can tell, this series is essentially a "what-if" series and doesn't affect the present day Archie stories. If so, then all the talk about not ret-conning the event seems irrelevant anyway. Maybe his comments were tongue-in-cheek?
law90026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #365
Critch
lolzcat

It seems as badly thought out as the last episode of Peanuts where they had Snoopy put to sleep.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #366
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
It seems as badly thought out as the last episode of Peanuts where they had Snoopy put to sleep.

They didn't have much choice once he started pissing all over the roof.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #367
Groundhog
Coordinator

Speaking of Archie, the Archie Zombie book 'Afterlife With Archie' is absolutely fantastic. Only Archie I've ever read (outside of the strips in newspapers when I was a kid), and well worth picking up.
Old 05-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #368
Thomkal
Head Coach

Okay fellow DC Comics fans:

One of the reasons Crisis on Infinite Earths happened was because it was too hard for the current writers to write around all that continuity, that history. Over the past 10 years or so the current universe has changed three or four times now. Making us older fans upset as the characters they knew and loved kept being changed more and more (like say making Green Lantern gay and married to a man, despite a long history of being a man's man type of guy and the father of at least two superhero children). Well no worries according to Geoff Johns, all DC history is now canon-it all happened-good luck explaining that.

DC Comics Just Made Their Entire History Officially Canon | Comicbook.com
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:42 AM   #369
Thomkal
Head Coach

Bumping an old thread here because there's some bad news for us DC Comics fans in general today:

DC Comics hit with huge layoffs
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 AM   #370
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've started lightly getting into comics the last couple of years after a couple of catalysts including getting some free passes to the Houston comic convention.

I just wish I had more time to read.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote