Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #26701
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Trump's key jangling is going to get louder and louder.

Will the media keep reporting what's actually going on?

Or will they, once again, get distracted by "Look everyone! Trump's talking about doing something CRAZY!"?

I am sure that we all have COVID fatigue. But unless and until the President starts doing the things that every other country has done to start to reduce COVID, that needs to be the headline story, even if he wants to "Build More Wall!"

This is what has me most concerned for this election. Well, what currently has me most concerned, I’m sure something else horrible will happen soon.

All media is strictly for profit now, and creating tabloid fodder has been Trump’s main business for decades. He’ll be the lead every time, because more people tune in for that. It’s the same reason Twitter and Facebook will never actually get rid of the conspiracy and hate speech. Companies that exist solely to make money don’t refuse when people insist on giving them money.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #26702
Galaril
Pro Starter

To Withhold or Not: Trump's Order Gives Employers a New Dilemma

SMH
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #26703
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

I think that is the perfect definition of this administration in a microcosm.

The rollout itself may be expensive and time consuming for businesses. The payroll tax rate does not usually change in the middle of the year, Isberg said, and the shift would require businesses to reprogram computer systems that can be balky.

Things of this magnitude normally take six months or so for orderly programming,” Isberg said. “So there will be some employers that just never get this done just from a technical perspective if they have systems that are old or difficult to maintain.”

In addition, by focusing on people who are employed, the measure fails to address the needs of the roughly 16 million Americans without jobs, some of whom are on the verge of losing their homes and cars.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #26704
QuikSand
lolzcat

Connecting to virtually everything in this conversation now... there was a time when I now realize how little I understood about the effects of "election meddling" and "social media manipulation" and "fake news." I'm not sure I was 100% of the way there, but my p.o.v. wasn't too far away from "hey, as long as they're not hacking in and changing votes, then i guess free speech and fair play and all that."

I suppose it has taken time, for an old never-Facebook person like me, to understand just how pervasive the forces of manipulated media and pseudo social presence is on people. The relative uniformity with which the people who years ago clicked on an article about, say, Obama's birth certificate are now so heavily in line on the "my science says masks don't do anything, and also not wearing one is suddenly my most important freedom" team... it's just stunning and awesome.

I don't really understand or comprehend what in this should be "illegal" (even setting aside foreign actors being a root source) but wow, it's a big fucking deal.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:41 AM   #26705
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

They just need to take that trillion dollars (or more) they're proposing and just send $1000 checks every month to every adult. For a trillion dollars it would last 5 months by my napkin math.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 08-11-2020 at 12:35 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:55 AM   #26706
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
They just need to take that billion dollars (or more) they're proposing and just send $1000 checks every month to every adult. For a trillion dollars it would last 5 months by my napkin math.

What about the dead people?! You'll send $1000s to dead people!!
Old 08-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #26707
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
What about the dead people?! You'll send $1000s to dead people!!

Wait, we are sending checks via USPS? They can't be trusted with that type of money flowing through it.

Just think of all the fraudulent transactions when people steal a chunk of checks!
Old 08-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #26708
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
They just need to take that billion dollars (or more) they're proposing and just send $1000 checks every month to every adult. For a trillion dollars it would last 5 months by my napkin math.

You send $1000 per person. Or you send $1000 per adult and $500 per child. I think this was very nearly my response when this hit. That the government would need to print and send money to everyone just to keep the economy afloat. Getting cute with tax cuts, and incentives, and whatever is not helping enough. A simple, short term solution is necessary.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 PM   #26709
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
You send $1000 per person. Or you send $1000 per adult and $500 per child. I think this was very nearly my response when this hit. That the government would need to print and send money to everyone just to keep the economy afloat. Getting cute with tax cuts, and incentives, and whatever is not helping enough. A simple, short term solution is necessary.

They did spend a lot of money. Just gave it to the wealthiest people.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #26710
bob
College Starter

Wouldn't the wealthiest people have ended up with the money anyway? At least your way helps everyone else too.

Last edited by bob : 08-11-2020 at 12:40 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #26711
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Rainmaker was disagreeing, just saying the way it was done as opposed to giving everyone a stipend made it just go to the top.

I know that Sanders and Harris introduced a bill to give everyone $2000 a month. Do that and you don't have to worry about extended unemployment benefits arguments as well.

However, I would like to see the federal government help States and localities as well who are dealing with a lot more expenses and less tax amounts.
Old 08-11-2020, 01:08 PM   #26712
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

However, I would like to see the federal government help States and localities as well who are dealing with a lot more expenses and less tax amounts.

Let the local/state governments tax the stipend checks.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #26713
Galaril
Pro Starter

Also these taxes will be owed next year the article stated so people are recommended to save the "extra" money now to be able to pay the money everyone will owe next you do to this. That is if their particular employer even does this.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:25 PM   #26714
Thomkal
Head Coach

Some hopeful results for my fellow South Carolina Democrats-they had a special election today for a state Representative to replace a Republican who got a new job as a US Attorney, The District had strongly gone Republican for Trump and before him Romney. Not only did she beat the Republican, she did so by about 20 points. She will only hold the seat for 3 months, but her opponent in Nov will be the same one she just beat. So have faith, Lindsey Graham can lose in November too!
Old 08-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #26715
JPhillips
General Manager

And the GOP is guaranteed a big Q supporter in congress with the GA14 results.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #26716
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
And the GOP is guaranteed a big Q supporter in congress with the GA14 results.
I am so proud that my state regularly produces these right-wing nut jobs.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #26717
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Honest government ad : facepalm
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 06:53 AM   #26718
Flasch186
Coordinator

That actress was great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #26719
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
If the election were suspended, then Pelosi is no longer Speaker because her term ends on January 3rd. However, the President Pro Tempore is Chuck Grassley and he'll only be 2 years into a 6 year term, so he'd be President on January 21.

I said this a couple months ago, but I realize I was wrong. If there is no election, then the GOP loses their Senate majority on January 3rd. The Dems would then select the new President Pro Tempore. By tradition, it's the longest serving Senator int he majority party, which would be Pat Leahy. But there's nothing requiring that.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 07:23 AM   #26720
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That was pretty amazing
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #26721
cuervo72
Head Coach

I think this is one for the political thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n-billy-woods/

Washington PostWashington Post
‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
Florida set a new record with 217 covid-19 deaths on Tuesday, while Marion County also set its own record for daily deaths with 13. (64 kB)

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #26722
JPhillips
General Manager

The GOP and Trump so far today,

- We love the Q woman from GA, she's our future!
- Is Kamala black or simply tan?
- Scarey black men are going to make you live next to other scarey black people

I'm at least comforted in that I'm pretty sure a George Wallace campaign can't win nationally.

edit- Just saw a new one.

-One of Kamala's ancestors owned slaves, so she's not really black.

Last edited by JPhillips : 08-12-2020 at 09:28 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #26723
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I said this a couple months ago, but I realize I was wrong. If there is no election, then the GOP loses their Senate majority on January 3rd. The Dems would then select the new President Pro Tempore. By tradition, it's the longest serving Senator int he majority party, which would be Pat Leahy. But there's nothing requiring that.

If there's no election, then arcane Senate rules go out the window.

If there's no election, then the President will be whoever has the best combination of will to power/popular support/military & law enforcement support.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #26724
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Here's something that occurs to me. It does not strike me as likely, but it does not strike me as impossible either.

As the election draws near, Trump looks very likely to lose.

So, a few days before the election, he declares that the whole thing is "hopelessly rigged" and then orders his supporters not to vote.

So he (and the GOP) loses in a mega-landslide. But he can go the rest of his days saying that he "would have won" if the results had not been corrupted.

This would devastate the GOP downballot, but Trump does not care about that.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-12-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #26725
spleen1015
Coordinator

I can't see this guy giving up like that. He wants the power that comes with the job. He is going to use that power to keep the job, no matter what it takes, right or wrong.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:38 AM   #26726
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Here's something that occurs to me. It does not strike me as likely, but it does not strike me as impossible either.

So, a few days before the election, he declares that the whole thing is "hopelessly rigged" and then orders his supporters not to vote.

So he (and the GOP) loses in a mega-landslide. But he can go the rest of his days saying that he "would have won" if the results had not been corrupted.

That would be awesome. I’m more inclined he’ll litigate if can’t steal the election.

I figure after the election if all is lost, he scorch Earth and then quit and have Pence fully pardon him and then he’ll Twitter, rally and talk show on how everything the Democrats will do is a failure while Pence is left to manage the transition.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:04 PM   #26727
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
edit- Just saw a new one.

-One of Kamala's ancestors owned slaves, so she's not really black.

They are just determined to prove to us that they don't understand racism.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM   #26728
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

This particular idiocy is being promoted by D'Souza. You'd think a person of Indian descent would understand the idea of British masters raping women of color.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:39 PM   #26729
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This particular idiocy is being promoted by D'Souza. You'd think a person of Indian descent would understand the idea of British masters raping women of color.

D'Souza is a bootlicker of the highest order. He recently was trying to convince people that the British, Australians, and Indians pronounce Thailand as "Thigh-land" because Trump mispronounced the country's name. Which let to a bunch of Brits, Aussies, and Indians saying: No we don't.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #26730
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:

I think it’s more they are determined to prove to the base that they will never acknowledge racism.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #26731
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Only way I can see this happening is if his poll numbers are so low that its pulling all R's down ballot too, and they desperately cut their ties to Trump to try to squeak out a win. Trump's ego won't be able to handle such "disrespect" that he says "F&*! you all then" and laughs at them on the way out.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:45 PM   #26732
Butter
Coordinator

Trump will never admit defeat. That's one thing I know for certain. The only way that he loses is a "rigged election". He will drag this out in the courts afterwards. The chad counting in Florida in 2000 will look like nothing.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #26733
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

For as crappy as a number of months of this year have been, November and December have potential to be the worst. Buckle in?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #26734
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I've been saying for months that I am dreading Thanksgiving/Christmas with relatives because it's gonna suck when all of this political crap is going on. I got through a 3 day visit with my parents a couple of weeks ago, but 4-5 days with an election controversy is going to be very uncomfortable.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:20 PM   #26735
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

This is the price for everyone having a voice. The stupid/wrong/crazy/deceitful voices are indistinguishable from the rest. We have so much information that we're paralyzed by "both sides-ing" every single issue, because there is a purported "expert" voice for any argument you want to make on any issue.

Like QS said, I don't know how you police any of this, but the fact that there are differing viewpoint on science isn't new. But 50 years ago, the quacks didn't have the opportunity to reach as many people as they do today. And if they happen to say something that fits your politics or opinion or whatever, then they become your justification for refusing to go along with the vast majority of experts.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #26736
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Authoritarianism of some sort will eventually be the answer. The only questions to my mind is how long until we accept that, and what form it takes. The civic requirements of a free society are ones we stopped pretending to accept responsibility for some while ago - not that we were ever fully accepting of them, but I do think it was quite a bit better than it is now.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #26737
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I think this is one for the political thread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...n-billy-woods/

Washington PostWashington Post
‘This is no longer a debate’: Florida sheriff bans deputies, visitors from wearing masks
Florida set a new record with 217 covid-19 deaths on Tuesday, while Marion County also set its own record for daily deaths with 13. (64 kB)

“We can debate and argue all day of why and why not. The fact is, the amount of professionals that give the reason why we should, I can find the exact same amount of professionals that say why we shouldn’t,” Woods wrote in the email.

One of my more (I think) radical proposal is that Sheriffs should be appointed by governors. It is silly to elect law enforcement officers.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:03 PM   #26738
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Trump will never admit defeat. That's one thing I know for certain. The only way that he loses is a "rigged election". He will drag this out in the courts afterwards. The chad counting in Florida in 2000 will look like nothing.

There will be upwards of a dozen states involved this time instead of one. This is going to be a nightmare scenario.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:07 PM   #26739
JPhillips
General Manager

Biden isn't a great speaker, but five minutes of him talking just obliterates all of the conservative taunts of his mental failings.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:57 PM   #26740
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
- Is Kamala black or simply tan?

I'm really not sure who the GOP is trying to reach with the "not black enough" thing.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:59 PM   #26741
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
I'm really not sure who the GOP is trying to reach with the "not black enough" thing.

Trying to sway Biden voters to Kanye.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #26742
tarcone
Coordinator

30% Trump, 30% Biden, regardless of the polls.

What 40% do the candidates get out? Pro black or pro White.

That is the election.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:08 PM   #26743
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Trying to sway Biden voters to Kanye.

That's the only thing that makes sense, but if he's taken off the ballot in Wisconsin it's a hell of a lot of money and effort wasted by the GOP to bleed what's likely an insignificant number of voters away from Biden.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #26744
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
30% Trump, 30% Biden, regardless of the polls.

What 40% do the candidates get out? Pro black or pro White.

That is the election.

Unless something drastic happens it comes down to how many votes the GOP can keep from getting counted.

538 has Biden's chances at 71% and they've pointed out that polls adjusted in ways that would favor Trump after 2016 and they're skeptical those changes were needed. RCP has Biden's chances at 60%.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:12 PM   #26745
molson
General Manager

Quote:
That's the only thing that makes sense, but if he's taken off the ballot in Wisconsin it's a hell of a lot of money and effort wasted by the GOP to bleed what's likely an insignificant number of voters away from Biden.

When I typed that I didn't even know if I was joking or not.

I think there's an idea in conservative circles that its dishonest to hold someone out as "the first black" this or that unless they're 100% African-American. I do remember Obama getting a little of that. Rush Limbaugh called him a "Hafrican American". He thought that appealed to his audience. Obviously those weren't swing voters. But whenever being diverse is portrayed as a positive thing, that seems to be their knee-jerk response.

Last edited by molson : 08-12-2020 at 05:12 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:19 PM   #26746
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:

Not sure where they're going with this. Her father is Jamaican and her mother is Indian, so she's the second biracial person in history to be on a presidential ticket.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:38 PM   #26747
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Authoritarianism of some sort will eventually be the answer. The only questions to my mind is how long until we accept that, and what form it takes. The civic requirements of a free society are ones we stopped pretending to accept responsibility for some while ago - not that we were ever fully accepting of them, but I do think it was quite a bit better than it is now.

Surely Trump’s trying to work his way towards this?
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #26748
JPhillips
General Manager

Trump WH is going on the attack against a GOP Rep that said QAnon was garbage.

Burn down the whole damned party and start over.
Old 08-12-2020, 08:25 PM   #26749
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
When I typed that I didn't even know if I was joking or not.

I think there's an idea in conservative circles that its dishonest to hold someone out as "the first black" this or that unless they're 100% African-American. I do remember Obama getting a little of that. Rush Limbaugh called him a "Hafrican American". He thought that appealed to his audience. Obviously those weren't swing voters. But whenever being diverse is portrayed as a positive thing, that seems to be their knee-jerk response.

Who knew that "one drop" rule would come back to bite white America in the ass 100 years later?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #26750
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Who knew that "one drop" rule would come back to bite white America in the ass 100 years later?

Yeah, they're turning anti-miscegenation laws on their heads. 1/32 white counts as not black.