Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2018, 08:48 AM   #17351
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And the dreaded pinkeye has struck my daughter. Now I sit here in paranoia wondering if every little itch of my eye is a sign I've got it.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #17352
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Am I the only one who reports every ad on Facebook as offensive/inappropriate?

I left FB a couple of years ago but recently returned - not because I miss reading updates on the glorious lives and political opinions of people I went to high school with, but for the music updates. So I got back on, unfollowed 98% of my friends, and just get a stream of music, sports, a couple of groups and a few friends' posts. Problem is, FB is nothing but freaking ads now! Every 3rd or 4th post is an ad. So I'm just reporting every one as offensive/inappropriate. Screw 'em.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:13 PM   #17353
Ksyrup

I posted that, and then checked my FB feed, and I'm staring at an ad for a t-shirt celebrating Alabama's championship with the "dilly dilly, a true friend of the crown" slogan on it. So for this ad, instead of it being offensive as a protest against ads, it's just plan offensive.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #17354
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #17355
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Am I the only one who reports every ad on Facebook as offensive/inappropriate?

Every? No.

A fair number of them? Yeah.
Most, however, just get "isn't relevant to me" flagged & permanently hidden.
I'm saving advertisers from wasting their money.

Then again, they don't really deserve to be saved from it. Not when you're a hamburger joint in south bumblefuck Alabama but set your advert parameters to (Adults 18+)

It's been over 20 years since I've been to that part of their state, I'm pretty sure advertising toward me is a waste of their fucking pennies.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:47 PM   #17356
Ksyrup

I just don't want to see them every other post. Most aren't relevant, but I tag them as offensive/inappropriate just to amuse myself, I guess.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM   #17357
thesloppy
Pro Starter

FWIW, I dunno if it'll help with targeted ads in your feed but you can block Facebook's advertising pane entirely with a little creative use of adblocker/similar-plugins and their manual element pickers.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-10-2018 at 01:52 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:53 PM   #17358
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
FB Purity is a must use for me when visiting Facebook.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #17359
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
FWIW, I dunno if it'll help with targeted ads in your feed but you can block Facebook's advertising pane entirely with a little creative use of adblocker/similar-plugins and their manual element pickers.

Then you're better at it than I am. I haven't been able to get them to kill ads without killing regular post content since the last ad-coding update from FB.

And I'm pretty fucking good at it most of the time, right now they've got both AB+ and uBlock Origin defeated as far as I can tell
Old 01-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #17360
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Charlie Daniels is telling Taco Bell they better watch it when poking fun of the illuminati with their Belluminati commercials.

That "it is not a frivolous subject"

Tell us more, Charlie. Do you have the robes and pentacle tattoos to back that up?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #17361
Suicane75
Coordinator

I saw that the other night and though to myself, that of all the craziness in the world at the moment, Charlies Daniels using twitter to tell Taco Bell not to mock the Illuminati might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 PM   #17362
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I saw that the other night and though to myself, that of all the craziness in the world at the moment, Charlies Daniels using twitter to tell Taco Bell not to mock the Illuminati might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

I KNOW, RIGHT??????
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 PM   #17363
Suicane75
Coordinator

I had to do a double take to make sure it wasn't a gag account.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 12:30 PM   #17364
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I don't know why the Charlie Daniels thing got so much attention. It's just some singer who was live-tweeting the championship game and saw a Taco Bell commercial that referenced the Illuminati.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #17365
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I don't know why the Charlie Daniels thing got so much attention.

Only place I've seen it mentioned -- and he's a pretty popular fellow in my social circles -- is ... here.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:51 PM   #17366
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:00 PM   #17367
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It's not all that odd for me to realize (yet again) that I've outlived myself but damned if having to explain "fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grill" is a pretty stark reminder of that fact.
Old 01-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #17368
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I will freely admit I have abso-fucking-lutely no idea what that is from.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #17369
Logan
Head Coach

Batter up!

Right?!
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #17370
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
I will freely admit I have abso-fucking-lutely no idea what that is from.

Maybe one day you'll finally get your piece of the pie.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:05 PM   #17371
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Maybe one day you'll finally get your piece of the pie.

As well as a de-luxe apartment in the sky.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:10 PM   #17372
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Going back a few posts...but I consider myself someone that's willing to try most foods. Not sure I could do lutefisk.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:21 PM   #17373
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtCrazy View Post
Going back a few posts...but I consider myself someone that's willing to try most foods. Not sure I could do lutefisk.

Eaten it many times, but not for a long time. Grew up with it as a family meal at the holidays. I liked it. You have to abandon your idea that it's really fish. It's sort of a gelatinous, butter soaked jello substance with really small bones in it occasionally. Now, I know that will neither tempt you or change your mind, but it's not as bad as it sounds, and I'd totally eat it again in the right moment.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 03:24 PM   #17374
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
As well as a de-luxe apartment in the sky.

He's movin' on up.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:54 PM   #17375
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

thanks Albion!
That's my laugh for the day!
Old 01-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #17376
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Eaten it many times, but not for a long time. Grew up with it as a family meal at the holidays. I liked it. You have to abandon your idea that it's really fish. It's sort of a gelatinous, butter soaked jello substance with really small bones in it occasionally. Now, I know that will neither tempt you or change your mind, but it's not as bad as it sounds, and I'd totally eat it again in the right moment.

Far enough. I actually read a few descriptions of its taste after I posted, and I would actually try it. Doesn't sound too bad, and the texture wouldn't bother me.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:16 AM   #17377
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I don't recall a "Millennials are stoopid" thread, so I'll just drop this here and if we do have one, someone let me know and I'll move it.

I have been assigned to mentor a younger employee. A few minutes ago she directly asked me if she should tell a bald-faced lie to her manager in response to a direct request to see if a client could reschedule something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Millennial Mentee
I mean should I tell her I dont want to reschedule since the next week is booked for me
or lie and say no they cant reschedule

Young lady, even if the answer to that is "yes," do you really think that I'm going to put that answer in writing IN THE COMPANY'S INSTANT MESSAGING TOOL IN WHICH YOU ASKED THE QUESTION....software that sends an email to both parties with the text of the conversation after it is over?????"

I don't have enough facepalms.

#ThisIsHowMillennialsEndUpInTheNews

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #17378
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
I don't recall a "Millennials are stoopid" thread, so I'll just drop this here and if we do have one, someone let me know and I'll move it.

I have been assigned to mentor a younger employee. A few minutes ago she directly asked me if she should tell a bald-faced lie to her manager in response to a direct request to see if a client could reschedule something.

Young lady, even if the answer to that is "yes," do you really think that I'm going to put that answer in writing IN THE COMPANY'S INSTANT MESSAGING TOOL IN WHICH YOU ASKED THE QUESTION....software that sends an email to both parties with the text of the conversation after it is over?????"

So what was your answer when she called you and asked again?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #17379
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

I wonder if the fact that young folks have grown up with everything being recorded makes it harder for them to grasp what it means for everything to be recorded.

If I put something in writing, I have a sense that it might come back on me because I remember a world where everything wasn't in writing. But I expect that your mentee just accepts it without really thinking about it.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #17380
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So what was your answer when she called you and asked again?
I don't think it ever occurred to her to pick up the phone and call, which is what I do with my manager when I need him to give me an answer that I have the good sense to know that he isn't going to want on the record.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:33 PM   #17381
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I wonder if the fact that young folks have grown up with everything being recorded makes it harder for them to grasp what it means for everything to be recorded.

If I put something in writing, I have a sense that it might come back on me because I remember a world where everything wasn't in writing. But I expect that your mentee just accepts it without really thinking about it.
Hmmmm...maybe that's it.

Oh, and to clarify my answer to miami_fan,this was a situation where I can't imagine why anyone would even have an *instinct* to lie; she had a perfectly valid and logical reason to say that a change wouldn't work for her and her client. It felt like she must be used to needing to lie.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #17382
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't think it ever occurred to her to pick up the phone and call, which is what I do with my manager when I need him to give me an answer that I have the good sense to know that he isn't going to want on the record.

Our company had an "issue" last quarter with a bunch of folks abusing expense accounts and taking other employees to lunch, charging the company, and for no good business reason.

After our meeting where this was pointed out as a violation of company policy, we had an awards dinner and then the owner and I were having a drink afterwards. He brought it up again and I responded, "You know I am not the least bit surprised that folks were going to lunch and putting it on the company credit card. I'm shocked that they were dumb enough to put their co-workers name on their expense report instead of John Q Customer"

He said, "Yep...makes you wonder how savvy they are at navigating a deal dont it."
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #17383
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

So when did eating detergent packets become an internet dare?
Old 01-13-2018, 12:03 PM   #17384
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

you know how else they end up in the news? By filming themselves killing themselves by eating detergent packets.
Old 01-13-2018, 12:12 PM   #17385
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

Gronk is all over it

Rob Gronkowski tells everyone not to eat Tide Pods

Last edited by molson : 01-13-2018 at 12:13 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:18 PM   #17386
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post

You expect people to believe those made up warnings labels? Pfft.

I can't get too mad at them. I was part of the generation that laid in the middle of busy roadways to prove how courageous we were.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-13-2018, 01:17 PM   #17387
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post

well if GRONK is on it, then chya! Chya Gronk!
Old 01-14-2018, 05:50 AM   #17388
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I'll just drop this here...

Old 01-16-2018, 11:17 AM   #17389
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Why isn't Michigan State getting killed over the Nasser scandal?

I remembered this post when I saw ESPN.com's cover story:

Michigan State University doctor Larry Nassar surrounded by enablers as he abused athletes- ESPN

It's funny though, stories like this can completely explode, or they can just kind of be cast aside. I think we probably have a little fatigue on this stuff and it's more likely to be the latter.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #17390
Ben E Lou

Quote:
It's not all that odd for me to realize (yet again) that I've outlived myself but damned if having to explain "fish don't fry in the kitchen, beans don't burn on the grill" is a pretty stark reminder of that fact.
By the way, who on EARTH cooks beans on the grill???
Old 01-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #17391
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Whenever I have had a grill but no kitchen or a kitchen with no power.

That hurricane life FTW!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:57 AM   #17392
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

That's the only thing the side burner on my gas grill gets used for.

I'll smoke a butt low and slow on indirect heat and then the last 45 minutes or so I'll add the baked beans to the side burner...

Though in George and Weezy days a side burnered gas grill wasnt even a thing...so point taken.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #17393
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

Martha Stewart

https://www.marthastewart.com/919608...ce-beans-grill
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #17394
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Do I have to break this down further???

"Fish don't fry in the kitchen."--The implication here is clear: now that they have better financial means, they no longer have to fry fish like many poor people do. (Though, as both a certified bougie/uppity Negro and a Southerner, I'd argue that pan-fried salmon should have place in ANY kitchen, no matter what one's socioeconomic status might be.)

So, ok, fine, a side burner on a gas grill, or Martha Stewart. But not the working-class neighbors of Archie Bunker, dadgummit!
Old 01-16-2018, 04:12 PM   #17395
Ben E Lou

I can't decide if Paul Harden (one of the commenters) is trolling here or if he really expects the Guilford County School System to speak for another county.

Paul Harden What about Alamance County Schools

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 01-16-2018 at 04:13 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:15 PM   #17396
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Something had to rhyme with "hill", I don't think they exactly spent months working on the Jeffersons Theme.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:11 PM   #17397
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Something had to rhyme with "hill", I don't think they exactly spent months working on the Jeffersons Theme.

Who knows? I mean, it was written by Ja'net Dubois (best known for Good Times) and her husband ... noted songwriter Jeff Barry (Among the most successful songs that he has co-written in his career are "Do Wah Diddy Diddy", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Then He Kissed Me", "Be My Baby", "Chapel of Love", and "River Deep - Mountain High" (all written with his then-wife Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector); "Leader of the Pack" (written with Greenwich and Shadow Morton); and "Sugar, Sugar" (written with Andy Kim).
Old 01-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #17398
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Who knows? I mean, it was written by Ja'net Dubois (best known for Good Times) and her husband ... noted songwriter Jeff Barry (Among the most successful songs that he has co-written in his career are "Do Wah Diddy Diddy", "Da Doo Ron Ron", "Then He Kissed Me", "Be My Baby", "Chapel of Love", and "River Deep - Mountain High" (all written with his then-wife Ellie Greenwich and Phil Spector); "Leader of the Pack" (written with Greenwich and Shadow Morton); and "Sugar, Sugar" (written with Andy Kim).

Hmmmm, I could see this as evidence for both viewpoints, since A) that's a lot of hit songs! and B) Most of those songs are half nonsense, lyrically.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:46 PM   #17399
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Admittedly I was not really allowed to watch the Jeffersons growing up. I mean I saw it some, but my parents kind of thought it was too adult. Anyways how did George go from the slums of Queens to a deluxe apartment in the sky, merely by dry cleaning? I mean I'm sure there's money in dry cleaning, but it's not like he invented dry cleaning. Was he in fact laundering something other than clothes? Just seems odd that you'd be able to make that much money even if you were a successful dry cleaner
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #17400
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I remembered this post when I saw ESPN.com's cover story:

Michigan State University doctor Larry Nassar surrounded by enablers as he abused athletes- ESPN

It's funny though, stories like this can completely explode, or they can just kind of be cast aside. I think we probably have a little fatigue on this stuff and it's more likely to be the latter.

This story really was not on my radar before tbh. I just read it. I am nauseous.I am speechless.