Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 AM   #19801
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
All I can think here is ... where da fuck are you people buying groceries?

I'm 53 years old and come from a long line of "you always wash lettuce" people but damned if I've ever found a worm in it.

Like I said - I just get our lettuce at Kroger and we get ladybugs in it from time to time. Again, like you, I wash my lettuce so we catch it. Plus, it's down in the core of the lettuce so you wouldn't be eating that anyway. But it happens every couple of months.

Then again, since March, we've been getting a pre-chopped bag of romaine rather than getting heads because, well, produce pickers at the store are not the best. I'll be really happy when I can go back to shopping in store for groceries.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:10 AM   #19802
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Like I said - I just get our lettuce at Kroger and we get ladybugs in it from time to time. Again, like you, I wash my lettuce so we catch it. Plus, it's down in the core of the lettuce so you wouldn't be eating that anyway. But it happens every couple of months.

Then again, since March, we've been getting a pre-chopped bag of romaine rather than getting heads because, well, produce pickers at the store are not the best. I'll be really happy when I can go back to shopping in store for groceries.

SI

My oldest is one of the Kroger Click List pickers and every now and then he gets to pick for friends of the family. They have asked if he can cherry pick their orders so he can pick their produce because he does a good job of it. He has said the same thing, most people do not know or care how to pick good produce.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:51 AM   #19803
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
My oldest is one of the Kroger Click List pickers and every now and then he gets to pick for friends of the family. They have asked if he can cherry pick their orders so he can pick their produce because he does a good job of it. He has said the same thing, most people do not know or care how to pick good produce.

During this time we have been doing instacart or all our groceries, but a local produce wholesaler switched over to doing commercial. As long as you order $35 worth of stuff they will deliver. It really isn't hard to hit that number as I grill a ton of veggies and my daughter will eat $35 in grapes per week alone. The produce is amazing and the process is so much better.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #19804
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
During this time we have been doing instacart or all our groceries, but a local produce wholesaler switched over to doing commercial. As long as you order $35 worth of stuff they will deliver. It really isn't hard to hit that number as I grill a ton of veggies and my daughter will eat $35 in grapes per week alone. The produce is amazing and the process is so much better.

That's nice. We rarely use Kroger for produce because we have a local market at the front end of our subdivision that specializes in local produce, so we typically go there for fresh fruit and veggie needs.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #19805
Edward64
Head Coach

I stopped buying brand name chips a while ago. Even on sale they were still more expensive than the store branded ones. Although they weren't better than the brand names, they were good enough.

Went to Kroger this weekend and bought some Kroger Kettle chips. They are damn good.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #19806
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I would say that there is a greater than 95% there will be both pro and college football this season. It might be modified (fan participation) but I strongly feel the games will be played.

Oh how things have changed in the last month. Can I have a do over and say "greater than 95% there will NOT be football this fall?"
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:11 PM   #19807
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I stopped buying brand name chips a while ago. Even on sale they were still more expensive than the store branded ones. Although they weren't better than the brand names, they were good enough.

Went to Kroger this weekend and bought some Kroger Kettle chips. They are damn good.

Now THIS is a subject I can speak with considerable confidence on, having researched it thoroughly for years.

Nearly all the Kroger store brand chips are on par with the name brands. Their plain ol' regular classic potato chips are every bit Lay's equal. Aldi is better at more exotic flavors -- knockoff Funyons, knockoff (crunchy) Cheetos, etc -- but for the basic stuff Kroger is completely respectable.

And virtually any generic, even sub-generic(Walmart is good for those) corn chips are indistinguishable from Fritos brand.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #19808
Warhammer
Pro Starter

It's not generic chips, but the Mikesell's Salt and Pepper chips are like crack. It takes me 5 different times of me saying, "last handful" before I put those things away.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #19809
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Aldi’s def has bang for buck on snacks. Knockoff Samoa’s are like 1.29. Only thing they really seem to lack is a regular salt and vinegar chip. The kettle ones aren’t a fave of mine.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:38 PM   #19810
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Oh how things have changed in the last month. Can I have a do over and say "greater than 95% there will NOT be football this fall?"

I just commented in the Covid thread that I heard Austin is pretty bad and wonder how that will affect UT Football. Things in Florida pretty bad also despite what the idiot governor says.
Old 07-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #19811
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I just commented in the Covid thread that I heard Austin is pretty bad and wonder how that will affect UT Football. Things in Florida pretty bad also despite what the idiot governor says.

I think the Ivy League will be the first to say they will move to the spring, I think they announce their plans on Wednesday. Others will follow once the lawyers get involved and realize there could be lawsuits if kids get sick because of games. And unlike the pros, it's going to be real hard to ensure 80-100 athletes are disciplined enough not to go out and put themselves in harms way.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:08 PM   #19812
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Now THIS is a subject I can speak with considerable confidence on, having researched it thoroughly for years

SI

Old 07-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #19813
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think this is why it's so hard to put percentages on anything. The unknowns are so great, I think I'd have a hard time putting 75% one way or the other on anything right now. There's at least a 25% chance of something unexpected happening in any timeframe of longer than a month right now.

SI

Old 07-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #19814
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Nothing like a late morning surprise root canal.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:06 AM   #19815
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Nothing like a late morning surprise root canal.

I don't think I dislike anything more than the dentist.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #19816
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

The dentist is fine (well unless they upcharge you and overcharge you for everything), it's the pain that leads you to the dentist that's the issue .
Old 07-07-2020, 10:09 AM   #19817
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Next you'll be saying they should have their own schools.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #19818
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

My wife took my daughter to the doctors this morning...she has an ear infection. The pharmacy called and said her drops were going to cost $200. We downloaded an App called GoodRx and got them for $14 instead. Just insane.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #19819
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My wife took my daughter to the doctors this morning...she has an ear infection. The pharmacy called and said her drops were going to cost $200. We downloaded an App called GoodRx and got them for $14 instead. Just insane.

Insane, we really need more transparency in medical billing.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #19820
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Whew.

Bullet dodged.

It appears I have a very localized gum infection caused by a new medication I am on. Dentist cleaned it out and gave me a new care regimen.
Old 07-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #19821
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
The dentist is fine (well unless they upcharge you and overcharge you for everything), it's the pain that leads you to the dentist that's the issue .

I swear the dentist runs an income check or watches what kind of car you drive in with to see what they will tell you is needed.
Old 07-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #19822
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

So this app is not a scam?

And yes, medical billing and drug costs need to be more transparent. I have been helping a few elderly people by picking up their prescriptions and the costs discrepancies have been crazy.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:48 AM   #19823
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

To my shock, GoodRx does indeed seem to work a fair bit of the time. You got one of the extreme high end deals, over time you'll also find some $200 scripts that get no discount at all and others that might be $2. But more often than not we've found it to be worth at least checking, even if you only score with it a couple times a year, it certainly pays off to check.

FWIW, I found a pretty good (I think anyhow) explanation of how they operate and why it seems to work (including an explanation that at least kinda makes sense for why the discounts vary so wildly). It's a couple years old now but should still be about as accurate as it was at the time

Medication pricing: So this is how it works | MDedge Psychiatry

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-07-2020 at 11:49 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:22 AM   #19824
Breeze
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So this app is not a scam?

And yes, medical billing and drug costs need to be more transparent. I have been helping a few elderly people by picking up their prescriptions and the costs discrepancies have been crazy.

I found a coupon for my drug on there one time for $9500 off. Thankfully, I didn't need to use it, I was just checking to see for the hell of it. It's apparently not on the site anymore.
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #19825
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I assume that other service Martin Sheen has been hocking is a competitor? We got one of those cards in the mail the other day. And despite all the advertising, I have no clue what it's called. But I guess we ought to carry it around in case insurance doesn't cover or is more expensive for a certain drug.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #19826
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Seoul mayor reported missing, police searching

Maybe our police should follow suit and do some Seoul searching.

(I'll show myself out now)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:17 PM   #19827
Ksyrup

If you preface an explanation of your business in an ad with "fair and honest," I'm just going to assume you and all of your competitors are a scam. Especially when it's followed by testimonials of people getting expensive items for a couple of dollars.

Whichever bidding site is using that tag line, you should stop. I've never checked one of those sites out, and I definitely will not now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #19828
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I assume you're referring to Deal Dash?

My understanding of that site is that you have to pay for your bids. So If you bid $5 for an item, that $5 is gone whether you win the item or not. So while the winning bid can be very low compared to the value of the item, the sum of all the bids can be much more than the item itself.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:27 PM   #19829
Ksyrup

Right, something like that. But saying we're "fair and honest" followed by people saying I got a $1000 computer for $4.50 and ignoring the cost of the bids... fair and honest advertising?
Old 07-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #19830
Edward64
Head Coach

There's always 2 sides to the story and likely its more something inbetween but Johnny Depp seems to be a piece of sh*t.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #19831
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My wife git drunk a few nights ago and bought a doggie DNA kit.
Old 07-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #19832
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
There's always 2 sides to the story and likely its more something inbetween but Johnny Depp seems to be a piece of sh*t.

We kind of already knew that when he said he wouldn't raise his children in the US because the culture is so bad all the while he made a huge living from that culture.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:10 PM   #19833
bhlloy
Coordinator

Absolute shocker that somebody that far up their own arse they can see their tonsils turns out to be a raging narcissistic asshole
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #19834
cuervo72
Head Coach

Clients on Heartland Docs seem to be made-up in their TV best for the show. (Good share of young blondes with their hair done, cute little outfits, etc...in Nebraska.)

Clients on Dr. Pol...they are decidedly not made-up.
Old 07-11-2020, 10:35 PM   #19835
Edward64
Head Coach

Will, I'm glad you have such a strong relationship where your (limited) open marriage can be publicized and you being interviewed about it.

You are a better man than me.

I'm with 50 cent and thinking WTF. You can probably have nice dates with any woman (or man) who is not in a committed relationship and you put up with this?
Old 07-12-2020, 12:28 AM   #19836
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I assume you're talking about that whole Will/Jada Smith thing.....that just seems messy as hell. And at first they denied it completely but now they want to have some kind of town hall about it? Grimy.

I am reminded of them making repeated denials about being Scientologists despite, like, funding Scientology-adjacent schools and communicating and behaving like weird ass Scientologists (like this whole incident, for example). The Scientology celebrity playbook is supposedly based around getting folks to confess their darkest secrets under the guise of treatment, and then not-so-subtly blackmailing them with that information, and this case seems like it could fit into that template pretty easily....or maybe they're sincere in their weird ass boundaries, for all I know.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-12-2020 at 12:34 AM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:37 AM   #19837
molson
General Manager

Quote:
My wife git drunk a few nights ago and bought a doggie DNA kit.

I've done that. Twice. (I think I was also drunk). It's interesting.

It helped explain why my once normal-sized young border collie grew to be 80 pounds. He is part Akita.

Last edited by molson : 07-12-2020 at 12:43 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:11 AM   #19838
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Please send your own DNA into the doggie DNA place and tell me what the results are.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:20 AM   #19839
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I assume you're talking about that whole Will/Jada Smith thing.....that just seems messy as hell. And at first they denied it completely but now they want to have some kind of town hall about it? Grimy.

I am reminded of them making repeated denials about being Scientologists despite, like, funding Scientology-adjacent schools and communicating and behaving like weird ass Scientologists (like this whole incident, for example). The Scientology celebrity playbook is supposedly based around getting folks to confess their darkest secrets under the guise of treatment, and then not-so-subtly blackmailing them with that information, and this case seems like it could fit into that template pretty easily....or maybe they're sincere in their weird ass boundaries, for all I know.

It's got nothing at all to do about scientology. Jada has actually been doing interviews for years taking about their relationship. I think that's the point. She talks for years and only a few people listen. He talks and now suddenly the world acts surprised and makes their decisions about what's really going on.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM   #19840
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I finally filed my taxes and refund was a bit lower than I thought it would be this year.

No Peloton for me
Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #19841
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Where I work, people like to throw lots of titles into their email signatures and we've been seeing a lot more email lately (everyone loves to over-communicate when working from home). So I've considered throwing random alphabet soup in my signature and seeing if anyone notices. Maybe a different set each week like "BLT" or "PDQ" or "YYZ".

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-14-2020 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #19842
stevew
Hall Of Famer

DDP, OMG, LFO, And BSB as well
Old 07-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #19843
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Don't forget, YDWOPP.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:51 AM   #19844
thesloppy
Pro Starter

PPDSPEMFOBBT
Old 07-14-2020, 02:09 PM   #19845
stevew
Hall Of Famer

MMMBOP
Old 07-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #19846
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I am definitely doing this. Maybe even try to make it topical by the week. So, if Trevor Lawrence gets drafted #1 next year, I could use "MMMBOP"

SI

Old 07-15-2020, 08:35 AM   #19847
Ksyrup

OK, I need to get this off my chest about this Let's Hear It For the Boy lyric...

He's my lovin' one-man show

Shouldn't that be:

He's my one-man lovin' show

The original lyric doesn't make sense - it emphasizes the wrong thing (a one-man show - we already know she's talking about one guy from the title). And really, a "lovin' one-man show" suggests he's lovin' himself, if you read it literally. The more important thing is the "lovin'" part - he's putting on a lovin' show and is all she needs.

I hadn't heard that song in at least 30 years until the other day and now this one lyric is driving me crazy.

Carry on.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-15-2020 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:18 AM   #19848
cuervo72
Head Coach

Our HS hired a new choir director a couple of years ago and he's gotten a show choir back up and running. That was one of the songs they performed.

It...wasn't great.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:19 AM   #19849
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
OK, I need to get this off my chest about this Let's Hear It For the Boy lyric...

He's my lovin' one-man show

Shouldn't that be:

He's my one-man lovin' show

The original lyric doesn't make sense - it emphasizes the wrong thing (a one-man show - we already know she's talking about one guy from the title). And really, a "lovin' one-man show" suggests he's lovin' himself, if you read it literally. The more important thing is the "lovin'" part - he's putting on a lovin' show and is all she needs.

I hadn't heard that song in at least 30 years until the other day and now this one lyric is driving me crazy.

Carry on.

I always looked at them as being interchangeable.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #19850
PilotMan
Head Coach

Pretty sure I Mandela'd that one.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote