Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #6301
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
I am looking forward to this as Civil War is also my favorite war game type. Certainly a first day purchase, but I am cautious as well....looks a little too good to be true

I know you prefer turn based games, but if you do like controlling higher level commands and watch things, Scourge of War series is one of my favorite. This is the bundle but you can buy individual battles that are cheaper.

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/sco...ary-collection

I tried out the demo and I like the pacing. It doesn't feel rushed and overly micromanaged the way that Total War does. I'm terrible with the camera controls so far but I'll give it a try again. Thanks for the recommendation.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:16 PM   #6302
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
I tried out the demo and I like the pacing. It doesn't feel rushed and overly micromanaged the way that Total War does. I'm terrible with the camera controls so far but I'll give it a try again. Thanks for the recommendation.

You'll have to try the courier system within the game....basically controlling your troops by sending dispatches to your commanders like they had to do in real life. A unique view of things for sure. It's a good series, they also made a series of European battles (i.e. waterloo, etc.) using the same system.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #6303
Thomkal
Head Coach

Frostpunk at maybe the lowest price I've seen for it $9 at Fanatical for next 24 hours or it sells out.
Old 08-13-2020, 01:21 PM   #6304
Thomkal
Head Coach

FarCry5 for just over $8 at Fanatical for next 20 hours.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #6305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Frostpunk at maybe the lowest price I've seen for it $9 at Fanatical for next 24 hours or it sells out.

Musta went. Regular edition is currently $11.99, GotY edition $29.23

(I wasn't familiar with Fanatical, didn't know they were PC only, so I went and looked to see if they might have an XB1 version on sale at the cheap price)
Old 08-24-2020, 12:33 PM   #6306
Thomkal
Head Coach

Serious Sam 1 is free at Gog.com for about the next 40 hours
Old 08-24-2020, 01:42 PM   #6307
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Night in the WOods JUST dropped steam cards yay!
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:37 PM   #6308
Thomkal
Head Coach

The digital version of one of my most liked board games, Roll for the Galaxy is now available on Steam. On sale until the end of the month for $11. Not as good as Lords of Waterdeep and Gloomhaven, but certainly fun.
Old 08-28-2020, 08:45 AM   #6309
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Anyone playing Wasteland 3? Might grab it this weekend.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:57 AM   #6310
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Anyone playing Wasteland 3? Might grab it this weekend.

Just started a thread for it LOL. Very impressed so far
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 03:53 PM   #6311
Edward64
Head Coach

Any golf gamers here? I just read a review of PGA 2K21 that was recently released and I'm intrigued.

I played and enjoyed a golf game a long time ago but haven't since (I think it was an early PGA version). I wasn't really even looking for a review but it popped up while reading about something else.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 04:08 PM   #6312
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Any golf gamers here? I just read a review of PGA 2K21 that was recently released and I'm intrigued.

I played and enjoyed a golf game a long time ago but haven't since (I think it was an early PGA version). I wasn't really even looking for a review but it popped up while reading about something else.

Been keeping my eye on it too, just concerned with some of the feedback I have seen about difficulty. Basically implies on anything but easy setting, very difficult to control your shots. That would turn me off and frustrate me if the game was impacted without precision use of a controller or something.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:14 PM   #6313
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Been keeping my eye on it too, just concerned with some of the feedback I have seen about difficulty. Basically implies on anything but easy setting, very difficult to control your shots. That would turn me off and frustrate me if the game was impacted without precision use of a controller or something.

I played it very briefly and hadn't heard any of the feedback, but that matches up with my experience (and I was using a gamepad). It was not only easy to go outside of the acceptable zone when swinging but the results of doing so were pretty drastic, veering sharply into the grass one way or another during the ball's final descent.

It was a less than 10GB download though (I want to say it was even lik 6-7GB), which seems pretty remarkable for a AAA sports title these days, so if you want to download it from Steam and try it out for a couple of hours before possibly refunding it the download isn't that much of a commitment.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 08-29-2020 at 04:22 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #6314
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

NBA 2k20 $4.98 for 12 days on the humblebundle end of summer sale.

Haven't played in years, and then only on PS consoles over the years. For $5? Yeah, going to see how it looks on pc.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 05:51 PM   #6315
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Pga golf- keep me informed. If the easiest settings still gives you some challenge, I might consider it. I want a challenge without it being kiddy easy. I know I am never going to get more complicated level.
NBA 2k- I already bought it and returned it. They took out any defensive help on the player you play, and that made it impossible for me to play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #6316
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
I bought The Golf Club 2 on Steam a few years ago which was created by the same developers. I haven't played it in a long time but using the mouse/keyboard I thought the controls were good. It took a while to get used to the system but I liked it well enough. Putting was still hard to get right but it wasn't a deal breaker. The worst part of the game for me was the lack of immersion. I prefer to play in single-player mode against the AI but that never really felt like real golf. It wasn't like the Tiger Woods series where you saw the AI players take their shots. In TGC2 you just saw what I think were pre-recorded shots all launched at near the same time while you were setting up yours. I was curious about the PGA version from a couple of years ago but it didn't seem like they changed much from TGC2 so I passed on it.

I am also curious about what people think about this new version. I did put it on my Steam wishlist, but my lists tend to change over time. I'll wait for a sale on it if I do decide to buy.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #6317
Edward64
Head Coach

While we're at it, anyone play a fishing game they would recommend?

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-29-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #6318
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:

I have owned all of The Golf Club Games (TGC, TGC2, TGC2019, and now PGA 2K21). I don't usually spend huge time on them but I think each has gotten better and if you have never played any of them but enjoy a solid golf sim/game then this is enjoyable. I would argue that the difficulty can be extreme on higher difficulties but very reasonable on mid and lower difficulties. It definitely takes time to get the hang of the controls (at least with a gamepad). Over the years with the series I have noticed that a better controller (newer, better latency/plugged in, and one my boys haven't abused to badly already) is worth it. I find the game very relaxing and very realistic for a golf game. In past iterations there were design choices that weren't always very realistic but this has taken huge leaps in this version (and smaller steps in each of the previous versions).

The difficulty is very customizable. The career mode is not amazingly feature rich but is very fleshed out now compare to 2019. I am pretty experienced and on normal settings can shoot about 5 under average on most career mode matches. The leading CPU player on out of the box settings shoots about 5-7 under most rounds. You have the option to increase the AI difficulty so they shoot better rounds (or worse) if needed. You can tune your own swing difficulty. You can enable/disable many assist features that help you improve your score (putt preview, zooming ahead to see landing spot (but you can still see a overhead map if needed), etc. Other aids that can be disabled are having landing/aim spot auto correct for lie, elevation, wind, spin, loft, etc. I would say that you can make this as easy or as hard as you want. Certainly some people might not be able to find a sweet spot but I would think that is pretty rare if they are willing to play with each of these settings to make it work.

I also like that this game has never embraced the arcadey power up shots and spin of the old tiger woods games. I loved those games but never used the special shots as they were totally unreaslistic. This game has none of that.

The graphics at least on my PC are excellent. Much better than previous iterations. The course creator is very robust and there are some talent folks out there that create courses for these games - though you have to figure out who they are because there is a lot of junk course creators that make courses that are nearly impossible.

If any of you do get it I would love to add some of you to my steam friends so we could play a round some time. I have yet to try the multiplayer in 2k21 but have in TGCs past and it can be fun though prior versions multiplayer modes were a little lacking in features to be honest.

I hope that helps you. Happy to answer questions if you PM me or post here. I don't visit FOFC daily like I used to but I will try to keep an eye out in case anyone wants to see what my experience has been with PGA 2K21.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:11 PM   #6319
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
While we're at it, anyone play a fishing game they would recommend?

I enjoy The Fishing Planet (free to play). If you aren't looking to catch every fish in the game, only catch the biggest fish in each species, and grind at it this game can be a lot of fun. You can certainly spend cash on stuff in the game but I have always just played with what I could afford with in game currency. You may want to watch a couple youtube videos or read a guide about starting out though because you can buy to good a gear early on and end up having to spend cash just to progress if you don't approach the early game wisely.

There is a paid version The Fisherman: Fishing Planet and I have been tempted but they basically released that one last year and have yet to update it or give it any of the new content they are constantly updating in the FTP version which has been out for many years.

Last edited by BigDPW : 08-29-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:14 PM   #6320
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Hey Big, can you please tell me more about career play. Do you level up skills? Do you start amateur and move your way up? How many different courses do you play?

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #6321
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
I have owned all of The Golf Club Games (TGC, TGC2, TGC2019, and now PGA 2K21). I don't usually spend huge time on them but I think each has gotten better and if you have never played any of them but enjoy a solid golf sim/game then this is enjoyable. I would argue that the difficulty can be extreme on higher difficulties but very reasonable on mid and lower difficulties. It definitely takes time to get the hang of the controls (at least with a gamepad). Over the years with the series I have noticed that a better controller (newer, better latency/plugged in, and one my boys haven't abused to badly already) is worth it. I find the game very relaxing and very realistic for a golf game. In past iterations there were design choices that weren't always very realistic but this has taken huge leaps in this version (and smaller steps in each of the previous versions).

The difficulty is very customizable. The career mode is not amazingly feature rich but is very fleshed out now compare to 2019. I am pretty experienced and on normal settings can shoot about 5 under average on most career mode matches. The leading CPU player on out of the box settings shoots about 5-7 under most rounds. You have the option to increase the AI difficulty so they shoot better rounds (or worse) if needed. You can tune your own swing difficulty. You can enable/disable many assist features that help you improve your score (putt preview, zooming ahead to see landing spot (but you can still see a overhead map if needed), etc. Other aids that can be disabled are having landing/aim spot auto correct for lie, elevation, wind, spin, loft, etc. I would say that you can make this as easy or as hard as you want. Certainly some people might not be able to find a sweet spot but I would think that is pretty rare if they are willing to play with each of these settings to make it work.

I also like that this game has never embraced the arcadey power up shots and spin of the old tiger woods games. I loved those games but never used the special shots as they were totally unreaslistic. This game has none of that.

The graphics at least on my PC are excellent. Much better than previous iterations. The course creator is very robust and there are some talent folks out there that create courses for these games - though you have to figure out who they are because there is a lot of junk course creators that make courses that are nearly impossible.

If any of you do get it I would love to add some of you to my steam friends so we could play a round some time. I have yet to try the multiplayer in 2k21 but have in TGCs past and it can be fun though prior versions multiplayer modes were a little lacking in features to be honest.

I hope that helps you. Happy to answer questions if you PM me or post here. I don't visit FOFC daily like I used to but I will try to keep an eye out in case anyone wants to see what my experience has been with PGA 2K21.

Thanks for the in-depth perspective!
Old 08-29-2020, 07:27 PM   #6322
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I enjoy The Fishing Planet (free to play). If you aren't looking to catch every fish in the game, only catch the biggest fish in each species, and grind at it this game can be a lot of fun. You can certainly spend cash on stuff in the game but I have always just played with what I could afford with in game currency. You may want to watch a couple youtube videos or read a guide about starting out though because you can buy to good a gear early on and end up having to spend cash just to progress if you don't approach the early game wisely.

There is a paid version The Fisherman: Fishing Planet and I have been tempted but they basically released that one last year and have yet to update it or give it any of the new content they are constantly updating in the FTP version which has been out for many years.

Thanks again!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:20 AM   #6323
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:

Thanks for all the detail, certainly has me thinking. Although I have seen other postings about all the configuration options being there but people still having a problem finding the sweet spot to control the ball, it gives me some hope.
Old 08-30-2020, 12:38 PM   #6324
BigDPW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Hey Big, can you please tell me more about career play. Do you level up skills? Do you start amateur and move your way up? How many different courses do you play?

You start on the Korn-Ferry Tour (guess that is the new name for the Nike Tour - I had to look up what Korn-Ferry even was). That is 6 tournaments in the schedule. There are several ways to qualify for the PGA Tour (Top 25 in Points for the year or 3 wins on the lower tour). You do not progress your skills or attributes but you can unlock and purchase new equipment that has different attributes. There is no equipment that is "cheaty" in nature - if there is added power with a club there is an loss of accuracy, forgiveness, or some attribute to offset it. But you can buy clubs to suit your style. I will tell you that the progression of your golfer will not be with attributes in an RPG kind of way but rather you actually developing better skills with the sticks, rhythm of your swing, reading greens better, making smart decisions with course management, etc.

Once you are on the PGA Tour you have 33 events per season. A few are major like championships where there is an alternate event for the players who didn't qualify. This uses a mixture of real courses included with the game and fictional official courses that have been created by the developer. There are no repeats of courses in a season that I can tell. You can choose to play 1-4 rounds per tourney in the settings.

The other neat new thing in career mode is the real players included. Some have 3D models (there are only a handful) and will show up in highlights between holes during your round. This gives it a little more immersion than the older games had.

Hope that helps explain it some. Could the career mode be more robust in time with future versions? I am sure it could but I think it has enough to hold my interest.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:54 PM   #6325
spleen1015
Coordinator

Twitch

Playing PGA right now. He is also a member here.
Old 08-30-2020, 02:09 PM   #6326
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Twitch

Playing PGA right now. He is also a member here.

Thanks for the link.

The graphics doesn't look that great to me but think I'll buy it when it goes on sale. Will have CK3 to keep me busy until then.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:53 PM   #6327
Thomkal
Head Coach

$5 for Grim Dawn at Humble store.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:06 PM   #6328
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well worth it at 3x the price.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #6329
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Well worth it at 3x the price.

Yes. Even without the expansions it's really good.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #6330
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

i've been looking at this one for a LONG time....hmmmm

so you don't think it would ever be someone's extra freekey?
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 PM   #6331
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
i've been looking at this one for a LONG time....hmmmm

so you don't think it would ever be someone's extra freekey?

Very unlikely I think. $5 is the cheapest I've ever seen it (I think), so if you like this kind of game then it will be a $5 well spent
Old 09-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #6332
QuikSand
lolzcat

I really like(d) Grim Dawn, too. Actually fiddled with it a bit last week, after being out for a while. Very well conceived structure for a good hack/slash type RPG.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #6333
Thomkal
Head Coach

The first three Divinity games (before Original Sin) are 90% off for a week which means they are $2 or less on Steam

EDIT: The Original Sin games are also discounted, about 60%, less than $20 each

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-10-2020 at 02:44 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #6334
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Received some Steam cards for my birthday. Purchased Wasteland 3, excited to dig into it tonight.

For anyone that has it, do you just pick premade characters or do you build your own? It looks fairly deep so I might dabble in it.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:21 PM   #6335
JPhillips
General Manager

I got about 2/3 of the way through Wasteland 2 and realized my builds were bad and I couldn't do anything about it.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #6336
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I got about 2/3 of the way through Wasteland 2 and realized my builds were bad and I couldn't do anything about it.

I just started a Wasteland 2 playthrough, can you explain why your builds were bad w/o getting spoilerly?
Old 09-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #6337
JPhillips
General Manager

It's been a while, but as I recall I spread out skills so my initial group could do things and then when I added party members I wasn't maxed out enough in a lot of skills. I needed to look up what skills future party members would have and ignore those for current members, but I was playing without looking things up.
Old 09-12-2020, 02:51 PM   #6338
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I definitely feel your frustration there, like you say (without getting too spoilery) there are characters later in the game you are highly recommended to add, but if their skillsets overlap with what you've already got, it's kind of crappy.

I basically had to lose my only source of explosives and armor modding halfway through the game... which really sucks. And you can definitely get yourself down an alley where a quest you've spent 45 minutes getting to the end of isn't (and might not ever) be resolvable with the skills you have.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:16 PM   #6339
Thomkal
Head Coach

Elite Dangerous for $6 at IndieGala. They only have about 400 keys or so, so act quick if you've been wanting it.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:30 PM   #6340
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Elite Dangerous for $6 at IndieGala. They only have about 400 keys or so, so act quick if you've been wanting it.

It was in the Humble Simulation Bundle which only has 2 days left. You could get it for about $9.50 with a few other games too.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:16 PM   #6341
Atocep
Coordinator

We're looking at Baldur's Gate 3 (early access) on 30 September, Squadrons on 2 October, Watch Dogs Legion on 29 October, Assassin's Creed on 11 November, and Cyberpunk on 18 November.

This could be one of the strongest 4th quarters for releases we've seen in years.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #6342
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Feels weird to say given the volume, but I actually don't have any interest in any of those. I'll just sit over here with the popcorn, ya'll have fun.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #6343
Atocep
Coordinator

That's really just the AAA PC games that I've been watching. It doesn't include games like Spelunky 2, Mario 3D All Stars, Godfall (inspired by Stormlight Archives), Chapter 2 of Dark Pictures Anthology, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Immortals Fenyx Rising, and games without a firm release date yet (which probably means Q1 or 2 next year) such as: Biomutant, 12 minutes, Empire of Sin, Evil Genius 2, Humankind, and Kena.

Plus we've already had CK3, Wasteland 3, Iron Harvest, and Avengers already out this month.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #6344
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
We're looking at Baldur's Gate 3 (early access) on 30 September, Squadrons on 2 October, Watch Dogs Legion on 29 October, Assassin's Creed on 11 November, and Cyberpunk on 18 November.

This could be one of the strongest 4th quarters for releases we've seen in years.

Cyberpunk is the only one of those that has come close to catching my eye, and I'm in the minority (I think) who feels like it's going to end up being a let down
Old 09-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #6345
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Cyberpunk is the only one of those that has come close to catching my eye, and I'm in the minority (I think) who feels like it's going to end up being a let down

CD Projekt gets the benefit of the doubt from me until they fuck up. Witcher 1, 2, 3, and expansions were brilliant and each game took major steps forward.

It's probably worth noting that Bioware was the last Dev I said that about and they're absolutely terrible now. However, I don't think EA has bought CD Projekt yet.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:21 PM   #6346
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
It was in the Humble Simulation Bundle which only has 2 days left. You could get it for about $9.50 with a few other games too.

Thanks for catching that-did not see it when looking at the bundle
Old 09-14-2020, 07:26 PM   #6347
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

I would recommend getting the Horizons DLC as well. Both the base game and the DLC go on sale often for 75% off. They were both on sale between Steam and Humble over the last 7-10 days.

Expect them to go on sale more over the next next few months. The next DLC, Odyssey, is due out Q1 2021.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:40 AM   #6348
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
I would recommend getting the Horizons DLC as well. Both the base game and the DLC go on sale often for 75% off. They were both on sale between Steam and Humble over the last 7-10 days.

Expect them to go on sale more over the next next few months. The next DLC, Odyssey, is due out Q1 2021.

Yep, highly recommend Horizons with Elite. Planetside missions have been a highlight for me. Odyssey will build on that as well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #6349
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Personally the game I'll most likely get is Trails of Cold Steel 4. I'm halfway through 3 right now!

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-16-2020 at 07:28 AM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #6350
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Personally the game I'll mostly get is Trails of Cold Steel 4. I'm halfway through 3 right now!

I'm playing the first one now, it's really fun. But despite having more time because of COVID, my ability to play extended games is much lower. I have mostly been sticking to sports sims, and lately a bunch of Railroad Empire.
Mota is online now   Reply With Quote