Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #1
saldana
Pro Starter

Heroes : Season 3 - The Offical Thread - spoilers likely

there were some parts that i thought were annoying, but overall, i thought it was great...definitely back on the course that the first season charted as far as twists you never saw coming.

Last edited by saldana : 09-22-2008 at 10:46 PM.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:15 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, definitely some annoying parts. I find there's characters and interactions I like a lot, and some I really hate. I like Claire Bear and her dad. I like Elle. I'm partial to Hiro. I don't like Ali Larter's character. I HATE MOHINDER EVEN MORE NOW. I don't like Parkman much either.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #3
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Heh, on the City of Heroes(MMO) forum the "post as you watch" thread hit 61 pages in 3 hours. They did some recon type stuff that will hopefully get handled better later on, but vastly thumbs up overall.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #4
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I HATE MOHINDER EVEN MORE NOW.

I'm guessing he isn't going to be enjoying himself pretty shortly.

Two really, really action packed hours. Lot to digest.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I liked some of the stuff, some of it wasn't that great- but it definitley had me hooked for 2 hours....agree with the no spoilers part not working though, that'll be hard to do and discuss the episode.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
saldana
Pro Starter

the "no spoilers" part of the thread title applies to talking about an episode before it is on...it was my understanding that was the standard TV show discussion thread idea....i dont think anyone expects there to be radio silence about an episode once it has been on
Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

No spoilers? Shit.

Uh... well, those were some freaking AWESOME episodes with some great reveals. But uh, we can't talk about them.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
the "no spoilers" part of the thread title applies to talking about an episode before it is on...it was my understanding that was the standard TV show discussion thread idea....i dont think anyone expects there to be radio silence about an episode once it has been on

Uh... what the Hell is the point about labeling it no spoilers then?

You do realize people are going to come in here who have it on DVR and throw a shitfit because it said no spoilers in the title but people are discussing the inner guts of the episodes, right?

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-22-2008 at 10:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

Spoiler
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #10
saldana
Pro Starter

that better...can we actually talk about the show now....i thought the whiny clare bits were annoying, much like the paranoid hiro scenes.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:09 PM   #11
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yes, much better... anyways:

Peter comes back to shoot Nathan to prevent a future where heroes are hunted down!! Wow! And now Peter is trapped in a body of a villain who can apparently control sounds waves... damn!

The Villains actually seem pretty bad ass. You got pyro guy, master of magnetism (who is German to boot... nice twist on a Magneto-esque baddy), and the black dude (what was his power?).

It seems Claire is feeling less human, which seems to indicate that she's going to turn somewhat villainous herself, as she will tend to believe nothing really matters (oh and humans suck).

Ma Petrelli in charge of the Company? Oh oh... and she may even be Ma Sylar? Now I'm curious to see if they actually are brothers or half brothers or she's making it up. And who else thinks Elle is going to play a huge part in the future?

Everyone having powers is bad, mmkay. Hiro's gonna have to stop super speedy before the shit hits the fan, but I'm not sure how the Villians are going to fit into it. Maybe they are tagged as the leaders of the humans with too much power have it go to their heads crew?

And Mohinder is an idiot.

It appears Nikki may have survived and have a new personality, with brand new powers (after all, Jessica and Nikki seemed to have different powers).

Nathan is, once again, a pawn. Will he never learn? I guess he just likes the power.

Also it seems a lot of powers tend to repeat themselves. Jessica had super strength and now Mohinder does. The African dude has the Issac-like ability to paint the future. We have the villian who has fire from the hands and Claire's mom. Adam and Claire, obvious, have similar stuff. Mo said it was differences in blood chemistry (or something like that), but it seems a lot of people have similar stuff like that.

Oh, and from the previews for next week and the rest of the season:

Spoiler
Old 09-23-2008, 12:57 AM   #12
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
the black dude (what was his power?).

It's fear based.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:34 AM   #13
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Cool, they brought in another actor from Veronica Mars.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 AM   #14
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

How disappointing, Sylar doesn't eat brains.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:23 AM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post

That was kind of funny...

"Eat your Brain?" ..... "That is disgusting Claire."

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:25 AM   #16
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

I was wondering why that guy kept on saying he was Peter Petrelli, that was kind of weird. When they were scanning through their powers, I thought that guys said "Ground Manipulation" and I was wondering what that was, the ability to cause earthquakes?

So then by default, present peter has all of those villains powers too? I really like this show.
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:28 AM   #17
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

This I still don't understand. He poked around, and found out how the brain is working, but how does he make his brain do that function or act that way? Sylars original power I thought was he finds out how things work, and when it comes to something like watches he could fix them. With brain activity, I didn't think that was something you could alter just by looking at it.

Am I missing something?
Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post

Best line of the night, by far. I was on the floor after he said that.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #19
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
When they were scanning through their powers, I thought that guys said "Ground Manipulation" and I was wondering what that was, the ability to cause earthquakes?

So then by default, present peter has all of those villains powers too? I really like this show.

Sound Manipulation - so I assume he manipulates sound waves.

I think that would mean Present Peter will have those powers as well.

Quote:
This I still don't understand. He poked around, and found out how the brain is working, but how does he make his brain do that function or act that way? Sylars original power I thought was he finds out how things work, and when it comes to something like watches he could fix them. With brain activity, I didn't think that was something you could alter just by looking at it.

I think his abilities to figure out things allows him to figure out how to alter his brain waves/how it works and change his own brain/brain chemistry to do similar.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:33 AM   #20
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:

I think his abilities to figure out things allows him to figure out how to alter his brain waves/how it works and change his own brain/brain chemistry to do similar.

Yeah, that was my favorite line of the night in an excellent episode. Lots of action and some good twists that I didn't see coming.

I think he either alters his brain, or somehow excises a small part of their brain to inject. The trauma would kill those who couldn't heal themselves.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:46 AM   #21
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Yeah, that was my favorite line of the night in an excellent episode. Lots of action and some good twists that I didn't see coming.

I think he either alters his brain, or somehow excises a small part of their brain to inject. The trauma would kill those who couldn't heal themselves.

Or he basically slices open someone's skull and exposes their brain, which leads to death. Which is what he does, apparently. Either that, or he loves carving out peoples' foreheads.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM   #22
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I also liked the line when Parkman met the dude in Africa and asked to use his cellphone.

"I don't get service out here. Should have used Sprint."

Sure it was a cheap plug, but kinda funny.

Overall I was amped to see it return and they definitely lived up to the hype. If these two hours are any indication, it is going to be a damn good season.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I also liked the line when Parkman met the dude in Africa and asked to use his cellphone.

"I don't get service out here. Should have used Sprint."

Guess he didn't have Verizon either or surely we would have seen that annoying "can you hear me now" guy and his army of Verizon employees out in the desert
Old 09-23-2008, 08:33 AM   #24
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Or he basically slices open someone's skull and exposes their brain, which leads to death. Which is what he does, apparently. Either that, or he loves carving out peoples' foreheads.

So Mohinder discovered that the powers come from the adrenal glands, but what if he is wrong, and the powers actually come from another gland in the brain. It could be the reason that Sylar is picking through everyones head rather than stealing one of their kidneys.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 AM   #25
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well, the Brain and how its set up probably decides what kind of powers manifest, since everyone is different based on body chemistry.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 AM   #26
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
So Mohinder discovered that the powers come from the adrenal glands, but what if he is wrong, and the powers actually come from another gland in the brain. It could be the reason that Sylar is picking through everyones head rather than stealing one of their kidneys.

So has he discovered how they are activated, but Sylar knows how they are created, essentially?
Old 09-23-2008, 08:53 AM   #27
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

As for thoughts on the episode itself I liked it or at least I think I do - with such a long wait I was happy just to see any new episode. I plan on rewatching it but part of me thinks that maybe too much happened last night. I thought the Hiro storyline was done very well (by far his storylines have been the strongest I think) but the Petrelli storyline was just all over the map.

I was confused between future/present Peter, Peter apparently stored in some other guy's body, Linderman being back (although I'm happy he is), Jessica/Nikki/Tracy (did Linderman heal her too?), all the guys on level 5 and who they are and why there are there (and why was Bennett kept there if that was supposed to be the worst of the worst people with super powers).

I like some of the twists that seem to be coming out of that storyline like learning Ma Petrelli's power (at least one of them) and her bombshell at the end but I would have liked some more build up to some of those events.

Spoiler
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM   #28
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
I was confused between future/present Peter, Peter apparently stored in some other guy's body, Linderman being back (although I'm happy he is), Jessica/Nikki/Tracy (did Linderman heal her too?), all the guys on level 5 and who they are and why there are there (and why was Bennett kept there if that was supposed to be the worst of the worst people with super powers).

Is Linderman actually back? Or is he just a product of Nathan's mind? After all, Tracy didn't even seem to acknowledge Linderman, when he nodded to her. And Linderman appears to come out of no where. How is he invisible if he's around?

And I think Level 5 was the most secure prison (farther underground), so that's why all the biggest baddies were there and Bennett was kept there, just in case, so the other heroes would have problems rescuing them, if they were persuaded by Claire.

Quote:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Old 09-23-2008, 09:05 AM   #29
MikeVic
Head Coach

What happened to Micah and the girl that could copy people? Last I remember, they were stuck in that house with the bad guys?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They were saved by Niki, who was (seemingly) blown up when the house exploded.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #31
MikeVic
Head Coach

Oh ok, I forgot about that then.

But I'm wondering now when they'll come back into season 3?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:16 AM   #32
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Is Linderman actually back? Or is he just a product of Nathan's mind? After all, Tracy didn't even seem to acknowledge Linderman, when he nodded to her. And Linderman appears to come out of no where. How is he invisible if he's around?

Well I don't think he can be a product of Nathan's mind because he healed Nathan - at least I'm assuming he did because Peter didn't do anything to heal him and if he's invisible to everyone but Nathan then it would make sense that he could have been standing there to heal Nathan in that scene with Peter. And again if he is invisible to everyone but Nathan then Tracy wouldn't have seen him to acknowledge him.

But what I don't know is if he's "back". Is he dead and somehow appearing to Nathan? I don't want to turn the discussion necessarily on a religious angle but the episode was titled "The Second Coming" and there was the scene in the chapel and references to God. Is Linderman supposed to be appearing like Jesus did after his death? Or maybe it's like when Charles was dead but still was able to contact Peter. I dunno, as usual the episodes leave me with more questions than answers and hopefully we won't have to wait too long for answers.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:18 AM   #33
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

When Nathan first came back to life, before Linderman was in the picture, I had assumed it was Claire that had brought Nathan back again.. that somehow having Claire's blood or whatever from the previous time that saved him from that explosion, the blood changed him where he took on the healing characteristic to some extent from her..

Then Linderman showed up and it shot down that theory in my head, until Linderman suddenly is not noticeable by anyone else.. which makes me question if he is even there at all..

Old 09-23-2008, 09:21 AM   #34
spleen1015
Coordinator

Nathan was saved by Adam's blood, not Claire's if I remember right.

It was her dad that was brought back to life by her blood.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #35
MikeVic
Head Coach

Maybe it was Peter's kiss.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Nathan was saved by Adam's blood, not Claire's if I remember right.

It was her dad that was brought back to life by her blood.

Oh...

It had been a while and my memory is foggy as I get older.. my bad!

Either way, Adam's blood could have done the same thing as Claire's blood in my hypothesis.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:28 AM   #37
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
Well I don't think he can be a product of Nathan's mind because he healed Nathan - at least I'm assuming he did because Peter didn't do anything to heal him and if he's invisible to everyone but Nathan then it would make sense that he could have been standing there to heal Nathan in that scene with Peter. And again if he is invisible to everyone but Nathan then Tracy wouldn't have seen him to acknowledge him.

Peter touched him before Nathan woke and that could have inadvertantly healed Nathan, even though Peter didn't want to do so.

Or as said, maybe the healing blood was able to work its way through and save him.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM   #38
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh...

It had been a while and my memory is foggy as I get older.. my bad!

Either way, Adam's blood could have done the same thing as Claire's blood in my hypothesis.

I agree with your theory. I think the blood is still in his system and it brought him back to life.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #39
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Peter touched him before Nathan woke and that could have inadvertantly healed Nathan, even though Peter didn't want to do so.

Or as said, maybe the healing blood was able to work its way through and save him.

It's been so long that I forget - did Peter ever come into contact with Linderman? If not touching him wouldn't be able to heal Nathan, right and even then it seemed that Linderman had to "want" to heal something/someone - it just didn't happen inadvertantly.

The healing blood makes sense - I forgot that Nathan had received Adam's blood. Well now I'm not so sure that Linderman healed him although if he didn't then why is he even there? It would seem that he healed him to give him a second chance to continue forth with Linderman's plan for him. Maybe that was the reference to the title of the episode.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Linderman was, IIRC, in the Petrelli's house in one episode. Was Peter aroud then?

And if Linderman is still around, how come no one else can see him?
Old 09-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #41
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Peter met him in Vegas, didn't he?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #42
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

This season is off to a horrible start. My wife says it's because of my previous comic book exposure, but I'm thinking it may have been soap operas that I watched while staying home from school. Long lost son? Didn't we already do that?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:14 AM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

One of the things that bugs me is this whole "the world doesn't know we exist" part.

No one in Hiro's company was wondering why all the papers were flying around when that girl ran past? No one has seen these new bad guys using their powers? I'm sure there were more examples... Was this addressed before, and I just forget?
Old 09-23-2008, 11:15 AM   #44
saldana
Pro Starter

i love the future peters power to put present peter in the bald guy's body...that means at some point we should come across someone that has that power
Old 09-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One of the things that bugs me is this whole "the world doesn't know we exist" part.

No one in Hiro's company was wondering why all the papers were flying around when that girl ran past? No one has seen these new bad guys using their powers? I'm sure there were more examples... Was this addressed before, and I just forget?

It's that standard comic book stuff? People have no idea about stuff until it is presented them to absolutely clearly (like, say, a small eye mask, or just taking off your glasses hides the identity perfectly)
Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #46
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

If all of a sudden there was a gust of wind in your office and papers started flying around how far down the list possible explanations would "These papers are flying all around because a woman with super speed just sped through here!"?

As for the bad dudes, who knows what they did prior to getting caught. Maybe most people who witnesses them using their powers are dead and the few who were alive didn't have any documented proof.

Of all the issues with this show, this one is pretty far down the list...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #47
MikeVic
Head Coach

I guess I just don't know how much longer I'll be watching this. You're right, that shouldn't be bugging me as much, but it is. They started the season, and the entire catalyst for the future changing, with the revealing that there's these super heroes out there. Maybe it feels like Civil War or something, I don't know.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:35 AM   #48
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I follow you. I didn't mind some of last night's episodes, but over all I think I am growing a little tired of the show. I will continue to watch, but not sure for how much longer. I will have to see how they explain some of things that are going on.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #49
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Put me down in the column of people who hated both episodes. To me, Heroes shot it's wad in season one and they're desperate to get something, anything related to the original buzz back. Everything seemed so forced, the dialogue was excruciatingly bad, and for a show that requires you to suspend disbelief, that shouldn't mean the characters can act mind-numbingly stupid and get away with it.

I'll give it another week or two, but this is the downside of the slope as far as Heroes goes.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #50
MikeVic
Head Coach

"You really have changed Mohinder!" or whatever that line was... that made me laugh for the wrong reasons. lol.